• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch still gets exactly the kind of third party support it deserves from selling well on a weekly basis but still way below what the DS, 3DS and Wii did and being in a distant third or fourth position in LTD numbers for consoles that still matter in Japan. What is strange is why people are expecting better support for it and basically every single third party game to come to that platform considering that situation which is good to great but really not that great.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They would need to compete with the huge western AAA companies, it's hard and I don't think japanese publishers want to go head on against them.
Japanese publishers focus on other genres than western publishers. And it's not all just about pumping out new maps and characters, but many games can also benefit from post-launch in-game events and tournaments, which is something that Nintendo is doing with Splatoon (and tried to do with Arms, but they started too late).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wonder how M+R's legs will hold in Japan. At some point it held the 8k weekly sales, but it's been dropping steadily since a couple of weeks, and is now below 4k. Hopefully it will hold this number as a minimum so it can continue to sell on towards the 300k+ region. The drop in this week might be related to Kirby releasing and taking this week's mindshare, as we see with other evergreen titles.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Switch still gets exactly the kind of third party support it deserves from selling well on a weekly basis but still way below what the DS, 3DS and Wii did and being in a distant third or fourth position in LTD numbers for consoles that still matter in Japan. What is strange is why people are expecting better support for it and basically every single third party game to come to that platform considering that situation which is good to great but really not that great.
Well, it outsells the ps4 and every other platform in japan handily and is having some of Nintendo's best software sales ever which are mostly core offerings. I'd say it's in a good spot in the coming years.

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, it outsells the ps4 and every other platform in japan handily and is having some of Nintendo's best software sales ever which are mostly core offerings. I'd say it's in a good spot in the coming years.
In the coming years, definitely. Right now and in the coming months, it's just another option, not necessarily the best one or even less one that third party have absolutely to support or they are just stupid/biased/slow/whatever.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not strange, you know this is the near future best selling system there and your post is literally a self-fulfilling prophecy: if it doesn't get DS/3DS level of support, it won't get DS/3DS HW sales, which will slow down SW sales for the market in general.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
That's not strange, you know this is the near future best selling system there and your post is literally a self-fulfilling prophecy: if it doesn't get DS/3DS level of support, it won't get DS/3DS HW sales, which will slow down SW sales for the market in general.

Self fulfilling prophecy is the best way to describe third party support on Nintendo hardware

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
The usual blog leaked some numbers and here are my guesses.

星のカービィ = Kirby Star Allies + 八幡 = 80K
= Kirby Star Allies sold 80K?

VF-1S バルキリー = Valkyria Chronicles 4 + メガマン = ロックマン = 60K
= Valkyria Chronicles 4 sold 60K?

大泉 洋 = Yo Oizumi, voice actor of Swaine in Ni no Kuni = Ni no Kuni II + ゴマちゃん = 50K
= Ni no Kuni II sold 50K?

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Only digital eShop, no physical? F*ck Nintendo.

:P

Anyway, interesting they're selling both the Japanese and English version of Splatoon 2 (because of the region-locked Splatfest, I assume).

There's already a fair amount of indies with Chinese language option, those should have been available at launch (though I assume those need to get classification?).

大泉 洋 = Yo Oizumi, voice actor of Swaine in Ni no Kuni = Ni no Kuni II + ゴマちゃん = 50K

Looks like credible numbers, especially Kirby. I think that'd be 65% drop?

Anyway, glad to see the blogger managed to escape the Media Create ninjaS
:P

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You're basing the entirety of "not great" on 2 months of 40-45k numbers.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If Kirby ends up with 80K second week it would represent a 64% drop, which would mean that it's legs are better any big Nintendo title before it on the Switch:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 90.652 / 375.475 (-68%)
Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 116.931 / 578.969 (-75%)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 44.483 / 230.862 (-76%)
Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 105.326 / 753.411 (-84%)

Expected result for VC4 and Ni no Kuni II, with Chris's comments on second week it's entirely plausible that Ni no Kuni II lifetime-sales overtake VC4 next week and the game experiences a smaller drop.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
whole post is literally wrong lmao

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Kirby ends up with 80K second week it would represent a 64% drop, which would mean that it's legs are better any big Nintendo title before it on the Switch:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 90.652 / 375.475 (-68%)
Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 116.931 / 578.969 (-75%)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 44.483 / 230.862 (-76%)
Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 105.326 / 753.411 (-84%)

Expected result for VC4 and Ni no Kuni II, with Chris's comments on second week it's entirely plausible that Ni no Kuni II lifetime-sales overtake VC4 next week and the game experiences a smaller drop.
kirby is probably benefiting from a bigger userbase and being a new game amongst the many ports
Can the Switch stay above 50k? Or go back to its 40k slumber? Find out next time.
obviously 45k =p

It's relatively smaller numbers than that of 3DS, you know.
supply is still a problem u know

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's relatively smaller numbers than that of 3DS, you know.

The 3DS had a huge price slash 6 months into its life. And we are talking 2 months. What about the other 10 months. If it goes to 60k does that suddenly change the entire outlook?

Its just a weird hot take. It's selling well. It's viable in the West. Even if it sold like the DS the PS4+XB1+PC will always be a bigger market by the logic you are putting forth

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
VC and NnK selling less than previous entries FW is not a really good sign in Japan.

Even the first VC did better at launch, around 77k.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Last week's bump was in part due to Kirby and in part due to the release of the Splatoon 2 bundle. Splatoon 2 bundles have been available throughout last week, so that might elevate numbers again, and the Kirby bump might also apply since it's a very leggy franchise. I'm not sure about the extent of those effects, though, so anywhere from 45k to 55k is plausible imo.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Last week's bump was in part due to Kirby and in part due to the release of the Splatoon 2 bundle. Splatoon 2 bundles have been available throughout last week, so that might elevate numbers again, and the Kirby bump might also apply since it's a very leggy franchise. I'm not sure about the extent of those effects, though, so anywhere from 45k to 55k is plausible imo.
Will we see a bump to the evergreens then? Seems like Kirby shole the thunder last week but since it's been a week, it should let some evergreens get to shine.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Will we see a bump to the evergreens then? Seems like Kirby shole the thunder last week but since it's been a week, it should let some evergreens get to shine.
Yeah, I do think that evergreens will go up slightly (not by a massive amount, single digit percentage increases). Kirby still is the major player for sales, so I don't expect any significant increases this week already. Will probably be a steady build per week (with single digit increases per week) back to the original level or slightly higher.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Yeah, I do think that evergreens will go up slightly (not by a massive amount, single digit percentage increases). Kirby still is the major player for sales, so I don't expect any significant increases this week already. Will probably be a steady build per week (with single digit increases per week) back to the original level or slightly higher.
True! Do we have data for Kirby Triple Deluxe weeks after launch? I'm curious how Star Allies will hold up.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last week majority of Splatoon 2 bundles were sold by Amazon.co.jp. This week if the bundle has been available it certainly wasn't on Amazon.co.jp so there shouldn't be such a discrepancy between trackers in terms of the overall Hardware/Splatoon 2 numbers.

kirby is probably benefiting from a bigger userbase and being a new game amongst the many ports

I mean second week drop percentages aren't going to be massively different if Kirby launched one year ago or two years from now.
I think it enjoys softer drops compared to hardcore titles because buyers dont care if they get it first week or a month after it's released.
Compare that to Splatoon 2 where basically a lot of the hardcore Splatoon players wanted to be ranking up on the sequel ASAP.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Last week majority of Splatoon 2 bundles were sold by Amazon.co.jp. This week if the bundle has been available it certainly wasn't on Amazon.co.jp so there shouldn't be such a discrepancy between trackers in terms of the overall Hardware/Splatoon 2 numbers.

I mean second week drop percentages aren't going to be massively different if Kirby launched one year ago or two years from now.
I think it enjoys softer drops compared to hardcore titles because buyers dont care if they get it first week or a month after it's released.
Compare that to Splatoon 2 where basically a lot of the hardcore Splatoon players wanted to be ranking up on the sequel ASAP.
Yeah, I noted last week that the Splatoon 2 bundles would return on the 27th on amazon, so maybe the distribution is lopsides, meaning that amazon got a lot last week and now other retailers get more. We'll see from the Splatoon 2 numbers if there were significant quantities of Splatoon 2 bundle available.

I also think the Splatoon 2 drop is more due to the lack of available hardware: Splatoon 2 in its first week sold to more than half of the userbase, in that situation a soft drop is unfeasible since there's so much saturation and not everyone who is interested in the Switch wants Splatoon 2 too (there's never a 100% attach rate).

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm japanese living in japan, and supply is not a problem.
It's surprising that there are people still mentioning "supply problem in japan".
it not selling out instantly doesn't mean there isn't any supply problems, nintendo is still prioritizing rotw over japan

we really have no idea how it is selling compared to shipments until financial data come out for the quarter

we could be facing shortages again once the big games start coming out since demand has only recently been met

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Switch is in stock most places. But units aren't sitting on shelves either. They petty much sell what they ship each week.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Best-than-expected numbers all around, PS4 went up this, so I would guess some of that is due to some stock issues last week.

Kirby has a 62% drop, same as Triple Deluxe on 3DS did.

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not third party job to help a console to sell. I don't think there is any example of them doing so ever. They always just follow opportunities. Always. The opportunities to develop for Switch are certainly not that great that they should justify the kind of support many people here seem to think that platform should have.

whole post is literally wrong lmao
What is wrong about that lol ? These are just facts that people seem to easily forget. Please feel free to tell me what is wrong about what I'm saying? Do you even have a single argument?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not third party job to help a console to sell. I don't think there is any example of them doing so ever. They always just follow opportunities. Always. The opportunities to develop for Switch are certainly not that great that they should justify the kind of support many people here seem to think that platform should have.

What is wrong about that lol ? These are just facts that people seem to easily forget. Please feel free to tell me what is wrong about what I'm saying? Do you even have a single argument?

PlayStation?

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playstation consoles always sell amazing well while Nintendo platforms (consoles+hanhelds which Switch is a successor of both) are a hit or miss and we got a huge miss recently. Also third parties don't put all their games from the get go to Sony platforms either. How did they support Vita for instance? How much time did it take for them to support PS1 or even PS4?

Now here is my question for you: if it is not about a lack of opportunity why exactly do you think that Switch support is not that great exactly? Do you think they just hate Nintendo or something or they are just totally dumb?

Oct 25, 2017
DQ news sucks, wonder if they'll ever clarify in detail.

Kirby's holding well.

VC4 did alright, Ni no Kuni 2 is just happy to be included.

Good holds for evergreen titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.