• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
[PS4] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - May 24
[PS4] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - May 24
[PSV] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - May 24
[PSV] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - May 24

DZqlHpwVQAA3cQH.jpg

Last edited:

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's been months that Minecraft switch was completely missing from famitsu's "figures"

If Splatoon 2 sold 300K from release until 31st of December it would be at 17% digital for that period of time. Likely at launch this percent would be higher, I would guess that at launch the digital ratio was around 20% and they sold around 150K during July. That would leave around 150K to be sold in the remaining 22 weeks which is an average of around 6.8K per week.
Minecraft was constantly in-front of Splatoon 2 on the eShop with the exception of launch week and the week following it. Personally I think especially between week 47 2017 and week 1 2018, Minecraft was easily selling >30K on average per week. Famitsu simply doesn't have any data regarding eShop sales so they are severally underestimating them.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So judging by that joke tweet, the PS4 is still supply constrained? Got mixed signals in this thread, with people saying the 20k baseline was proof it was over. But could the situation improve and the baseline go back to 30k+?

It isn't. And that's a joke of a tweet why would you take that as actually sales relevant?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So judging by that joke tweet, the PS4 is still supply constrained? Got mixed signals in this thread, with people saying the 20k baseline was proof it was over. But could the situation improve and the baseline go back to 30k+?
It was more the fact that Famitsu stopped noting that there were noticeable shortages of PS4 hardware (they did note that before), and that anecdotal does not suggest widespread sellout, just low supply.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Look at all the 3rd parties skipping the Switch smh

ASW doesn't count because they are too small.

Level 5 doesn't count because they always support Nintendo

KT doesn't count because they are too medium

NIS doesn't count because they are too small

SE doesn't count because..uhh..because they're too big?

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal Akihabara and Ikebukuro report. Switch and PS4 stock are in good supply. A lot of stores also have Monster Hunter PS4s (at least 1 per with regular units) and Splatoon 2 Switches (with a good amount of neon red/blue).

Book Offs and GEOs still show off a good supply of used PS4s and Mario Odyssey Switches. Xbox Ones are also in good supply because I should mention that I guess.

I'm off to Osaka and Kyoto tomorrow so that'll probably have a few more stores down.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I see, thanks for the responses! Never played a game in that genre, but I'll watch a let's play of Etrian Odyssey at some point to understand it
Have you played any SMT/Persona? Old school SMT/SMT spinoffs especially but also the time/resource management and "fill out the map" bent of, say, the P5 dungeons are very dungeon crawler.

Something like Etrian Odyssey is almost entirely that sort of gameplay with very light town (and sometimes field) gameplay. Tend towards user-created parties and class systems.

Also, while we're on DQXI again--I do not think it missing western launch means much at all for Switch support in Japan. It is still in the same status in that respect.

What it does mean is that DQXI will not get as many sales in the west on Switch as people were hoping.

It also does not mean anything about DQ support for the system going forward--a Switch version will be part of the original plan for any future DQ that would hit the system.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I see, thanks for the responses! Never played a game in that genre, but I'll watch a let's play of Etrian Odyssey at some point to understand it
Etrian Odyssey is excellent, but you may have already played a more popular DRPG. Persona is also a DRPG.

Exploring dungeons in a 1st person view is common, but not essential to the genre. It's an RPG that focuses all of the combat and exploration into either a single large dungeon (Tartarus in P3) or a network of smaller ones (Palaces in P5) connected by a safe zone hub where you buy/sell items, prepare for battles, etc. In Persona, that's the city you live in. Persona also has the social elements, but the combat and dungeon exploration is all DRPG.

And the main series SMT games are definitely DRPGs. They were even 1st person up until Nocturne.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

Yes, the moving goalposts is really getting old. At one point NIS was considered a publisher that would never ever take non Sony systems seriously.

The hope for similar droughts as WiiU keeps on. but despite all efforts:

warrior used: concern troll
"It was not very effective."

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Famitsu digital estimates for eShop are kind of a mess. Minecraft should be ranking about every month given it's chart placement, as should Overcooked.

Minecraft eShop Ranking:
Oct 6th to Oct 20th - 1
Oct 20th to Nov 3rd - 2
Nov 3rd to Nov 17th - 2
Nov 17th to Dec 1st - 3
Dec 1st to Dec 15th - 2
Dec 15th to Dec 29th - 1
Dec 29th to Jan 12th - 1
Jan 12th to Jan 26rd - 2
Jan 26th to Feb 9th - 1
Feb 9th to Feb 23rd - 1
Feb 23rd to Mar 9th - 1
Mar 9th to Mar 23rd - 2

Nothing really compares to Minecraft. The only things that pushed the game below 2nd spot in the last 6 months was the release of Senran Kagura and Xenoblade 2(Nov 17th to Dec 1st). This to me speaks about Minecraft's baseline which is above 10K in all likelyhood and only new releases are able to leapfrog it in the ranking.

Overcooked eShop Ranking:
Oct 6th to Oct 20th - 3
Oct 20th to Nov 3rd - 4
Nov 3rd to Nov 17th - 10
Nov 17th to Dec 1st - 12
Dec 1st to Dec 15th - 11
Dec 15th to Dec 29th - 17
Dec 29th to Jan 12th - 10
Jan 12th to Jan 26rd - 9
Jan 26th to Feb 9th - 11
Feb 9th to Feb 23rd - 3
Feb 23rd to Mar 9th - 6
Mar 9th to Mar 23rd - 7

Overcooked possibly is between 50-100K sales since release, what is more impressive is that after the holidays it has climbed up the rankings. To me this speaks of the good WoM for the game, lack of competition in terms of similar games on the Switch, coupled with the fact that Nintendo Japan was promoting it via the news feed.

Human Fall Flat eShop Ranking:
Dec 29th to Jan 12th - 4
Jan 12th to Jan 26rd - 4
Jan 26th to Feb 9th - 6
Feb 9th to Feb 23rd - 7
Feb 23rd to Mar 9th - 9
Mar 9th to Mar 23rd - 8

Human Fall Flat is another game that since release has remained in the top 10, its a success story similar to Overcooked. Granted this is platform-puzzle but it's a game that allows co-op at home or on the go via two joycons.

Stardew Valley eShop Ranking:
Jan 12th to Jan 26rd - 1
Jan 26th to Feb 9th - 2
Feb 9th to Feb 23rd - 4
Feb 23rd to Mar 9th - 3
Mar 9th to Mar 23rd - 4

Stardew on the other hand is a in indie game that is entirely SP focused but due to the lack of Harvest Moon on the Switch - it's has been highly successful in Japan. My guess is that the game has already surpassed 50K sales based on it's rankings since release. Nintendo of Japan heavily promoted it in December by running several articles highlighting how well received the game was in the West and how it's the best selling digital game in the West. In the January mini-direct it was highlighted for the Japanese audience and this exposure allowed it to be the first Western Indie game to claim the top spot on the eShop for two cumulative weeks.

Golf Story eShop Ranking:
Feb 23rd to Mar 9th - 5
Mar 9th to Mar 23rd - 3

Golf Story debuted a bit lower compared to Stardew but it's also a game that Nintendo promoted in Japan via the newsfeed and via their direct. It looks to me that this will be another indie that will stick around in the top 10 for a while yet.

Overall Western indies have been utilized by Nintendo of Japan to provide something worthwhile to Japan during the slow months(in terms of 3rd party releases) between October and February. This is obviously something that speaks about the growing importance of such games in Japan in particular - since in the past I'm not aware of Nintendo doing as much promotion on their eShops/Newsfeeds/Directs for indies in Japan. The mare fact that both Stardew and Golf Story released exactly after their respective directs speaks about Nintendo's idea of wanting to grow digital adoption especially in Japan. The other factor is the new Gold Coins and how digital titles give you a higher amount of coins, creating further incentives for buying digital on the Switch. I'm sure that the last part of the puzzle will be the discount users would receive when subscribed to the Online Service.
Overall I think that Flyhigh Works probably sold a higher number of games than the vast majority of big Japanese 3rd Party publishers in Japan.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What kind of sales are we expecting for DQB2? The reception of the first one was very good, so it shouldn't see Watch Dogs 2-like decreases in sales or anything. For reference, here's what the first entry did FW on every platform:

01./00. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo # <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥5.980) - 178.016 / NEW <82,89%>
02./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥7.800) - 141.369 / NEW <85,36%>
04./00. [PS3] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥6.800) - 53.154 / NEW <89,44%>
02./00. [NSW] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix) {2018.03.01} (¥4.800) - 28.884 / NEW <40-60%>

LTD numbers (courtesy of Game Data Library):
PSV = 327.389
PS4 = 250.460
PS3 = 116.580
Switch = 44.346
Total = 738,775

That number can easily rise since the Switch version only came out 4 weeks ago, so, if nothing else, it should be >750k. DQB2 loses two SKUs, but gains another successful platform with the Switch. Some of the sales of the lost platforms will be put into the PS4 and Switch versions, so I think its current base should be mostly consolidated for DQB2. Then, I think 2 can add a decent amount of new players, especially since it comes only a year after the new mainline entry (the first single player entry since 2009, probably over 9 years). So, I personally think the game should be able to hit 1M units sold, and probably decently past that, too. My preliminary guess based on what I have outlined above would be 1.2M lifetime sales.

Edit: as Gotdatmoney mentions, I forgot to list multiplayer as another feature that DQB2 has over the original. That only goes to strengthen the game's proposition, so I think it should easily hit the 1M mark.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
ArcSys is pretty much all on Switch at this point. Basically everything coming up from them is PS4/Switch multi, with some PC and even Xbox ports here and there.

edit: released/announced 13 months in!

Arc System Works PS4
  • Tottemo E Mahjong Plus
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
  • Blazblue: Chono Phantasma Extend
  • Inferno Climber

Arc System Works Switch
  • New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
  • Othello
  • Shephy
  • Boost Beast
  • Double Dragon IV
  • Simple Mahjong Online
  • Of Mice and Sand: Revisited
  • Fantasy Hero: Unsigned Legacy
  • Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo
  • Eat Beat Deadspike-san
  • Gotcha Racing 2nd
  • Happy Birthdays
  • Cube Creator DX
  • Blazblue Cross Tag Battle
  • World End Syndrome
  • Kunio-kun: The World Classics Collection
  • Wizard's Symphony
  • Inferno Climber: Reborn
  • Family Sports series

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What kind of sales are we expecting for DQB2? The reception of the first one was very good, so it shouldn't see Watch Dogs 2-like decreases in sales or anything. For reference, here's what the first entry did FW on every platform:

01./00. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo # <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥5.980) - 178.016 / NEW <82,89%>
02./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥7.800) - 141.369 / NEW <85,36%>
04./00. [PS3] Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo <ADV> (Square Enix) {2016.01.28} (¥6.800) - 53.154 / NEW <89,44%>
02./00. [NSW] Dragon Quest Builders <ADV> (Square Enix) {2018.03.01} (¥4.800) - 28.884 / NEW <40-60%>

PSV = 327.389
PS4 = 250.460
PS3 = 116.580
Switch = 44.346
Total = 738,775

That number can easily rise since the Switch version only came out 4 weeks ago, so, if nothing else, it should be >750k. DQB2 loses two SKUs, but gains another successful platform with the Switch. Some of the sales of the lost platforms will be put into the PS4 and Switch versions, so I think its current base should be mostly consolidated for DQB2. Then, I think 2 can add a decent amount of new players, especially since it comes only a year after the new mainline entry (the first single player entry since 2009, probably over 9 years). So, I personally think the game should be able to hit 1M units sold, and probably decently past that, too. My preliminary guess based on what I have outlined above would be 1.2M lifetime sales.

I dunno if it can hit 1m but the biggest addition is this one will have multiplayer.

In regards to Switch support, main thing imo is just getting a few major franchises announced for it. E3/TGS 2018 should add a few I imagine. But it's not going to be absorbing a major chunk of the PS4's big titles imo.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017

I want the small and medium sized developers on Switch. Medium makes a lot of sense. I could see small being more cautious and just eking it out on PS4 and not replacing Vita, so it is awesome when they try Switch (and better when they succeed).

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

I know you're being sarcastic, but why wouldnt those count? When people talking about lack of 3rd party support, isnt that about lacking several of bigger titles? No one can dispute the current support, thats an objective fact that can easily be looked up (this goes for every platform).

PSV = 327.389
PS4 = 250.460
PS3 = 116.580
Switch = 44.346
Total = 738,775

Edit: as Gotdatmoney mentions, I forgot to list multiplayer as another feature that DQB2 has over the original. That only goes to strengthen the game's proposition, so I think it should easily hit the 1M mark.
I would also think 1 million is possible. Guessing around 30/70 split between PS4 and Switch respectively (30 for PS4, 70 for Switch).

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure? What are the sales for previous Kingdom Hearts games. I feel like they just need to add a Frozen world for this to outsell Builders 2.
Its hard to say for sure, but Dragon Quest Builders 2 are on two platforms, which could help the sales much, while Kingdom Hearts 3 is only on PS4. EDIT: Kingdom Hearts 3 might be for Xbox One too, so it would be on two systems in that case. But when it comes to sales, its basically on one platforms, where PS4 will have like 99% of the sales.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Are you sure? What are the sales for previous Kingdom Hearts games. I feel like they just need to add a Frozen world for this to outsell Builders 2.
Code:
PS2    Kingdom Hearts II [All Versions]    737.652    1.578.229    Square Enix    22/12/2005
PS2    Kingdom Hearts [All Versions]    411.492    1.482.137    Square    28/03/2002
Courtesy of Game Data Library

Yeah, those are PS2 games, of course, so we can't be sure PS4 is going to carry them at all similarly, but at least in terms of absolute sales numbers, the first 2 KH games are above what I would expect DQB2 to do (1.2M). That said, PS4 might do <1M for KH3, so it's definitely possible for DQB2 to outsell it with Switch+PS4 combined. Also, KH numbers above include all rereleases (not sure about the PS4 rerelease), so that bloats the number for the individual releases:
Code:
PS2    Kingdom Hearts II    737.652    1.129.196    Square Enix    22/12/2005
PS2    Kingdom Hearts    411.492    840.497    Square    28/03/2002

I would also think 1 million is possible. Guessing around 30/70 split between PS4 and Switch respectively (30 for PS4, 70 for Switch).
Hmm, yeah, 30/70 seems possible for the lifetime numbers. FW is probably going to be more similar, with Switch having better legs both percentage-wise and in absolute terms. Maybe 40/60 FW?

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

KH3 is a hard one for us to place. They haven't done much of worth with the IP for a while. I imagine it will get 750k relatively easily. From there though, who knows what it will do. 850k? 1m? 1.2m?

Personally have no idea. MHW and DQ11 favor the idea that PS4 can have million sellers. FF15 eventually hit 1m. So maybe KH3 joins? I dunno.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know that for sure? FFXV was not on Xbox One in Japan as far as i know. But even if KH3 is on Xbox One, that is fair enough. Then its indeed on two platforms, not on one like i said. But i dont think being on Xbox One really makes much of a difference in Japan though. My point about DQB2 is that its on two viable platforms, reaching much more people than KH3.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Small developers could very well go "we don't have the manpower/time/money to make a Switch port and we think our audience is on PlayStation ecosystem, so let's not do Switch, eat some losses from Vita's death, and rebudget accordingly." I don't think that makes no sense, and the reason it makes some sense is because, although they target Japan first and foremost, they are small and are talking about small gains on any platform expansion. So yes, it is great when they are ambitious and choose to put things on Switch.

Think Falcom, which is doing this, except other companies are taking their product to a) PC in the west and b) possibly Switch worldwide in the future.