• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its hard to say for sure, but Dragon Quest Builders 2 are on two platforms, which could help the sales much, while Kingdom Hearts 3 is only on PS4.
Code:
PS2    Kingdom Hearts II [All Versions]    737.652    1.578.229    Square Enix    22/12/2005
PS2    Kingdom Hearts [All Versions]    411.492    1.482.137    Square    28/03/2002
Courtesy of Game Data Library

Yeah, those are PS2 games, of course, so we can't be sure PS4 is going to carry them at all similarly, but at least in terms of absolute sales numbers, the first 2 KH games are above what I would expect DQB2 to do (1.2M). That said, PS4, might do <1M for KH3, so it's definitely possible for DQB2 to outsell it with Switch+PS4 combined. Also, KH numbers above include all rereleases (not sure about the PS4 rerelease), so that bloats the number for the individual numbers:
Code:
PS2    Kingdom Hearts II    737.652    1.129.196    Square Enix    22/12/2005
PS2    Kingdom Hearts    411.492    840.497    Square    28/03/2002

Hmm, yeah, 30/70 seems possible for the lifetime numbers. FW is probably going to be more similar, with Switch having better legs both percentage-wise and in absolute terms. Maybe 40/60 FW?
Oh ok then, I can see it, but the NSW version has to perform very well for that.

KH3 is a hard one for us to place. They haven't done much of worth with the IP for a while. I imagine it will get 750k relatively easily. From there though, who knows what it will do. 850k? 1m? 1.2m?

Personally have no idea. MHW and DQ11 favor the idea that PS4 can have million sellers. FF15 eventually hit 1m. So maybe KH3 joins? I dunno.
... I wouldn't count DQ11 and FF15 honestly. They did the bare minimum and FFXV only got to 1M because that was the first shipment - not an achievement.

So one system then (PS4). Not sure why you're even bringing this up.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do we know that for sure? FFXV was not on Xbox One in Japan as far as i know. But even if KH3 is on Xbox One, that is fair enough. Then its indeed on two platforms, not on one like i said. But i dont think being on Xbox One really makes much of a difference in Japan though. My point about DQB2 is that its on two viable platforms, reaching much more people than KH3.
FFXV was:

19./00. [XB1] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 3.791 / NEW

AFAIK, KH3 is still headed for XB1 in Japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know that for sure? FFXV was not on Xbox One in Japan as far as i know. But even if KH3 is on Xbox One, that is fair enough. Then its indeed on two platforms, not on one like i said. But i dont think being on Xbox One really makes much of a difference in Japan though. My point about DQB2 is that its on two viable platforms, reaching much more people than KH3.
FFXV released on XBO in Japan. Even the Royal Edition did too, albeit digitally only.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV was:

19./00. [XB1] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 3.791 / NEW

AFAIK, KH3 is still headed for XB1 in Japan.
FFXV released on XBO in Japan. Even the Royal Edition did too, albeit digitally only.
I didnt know that. Mayeb i'm thinking of FF7 Remake instead, which is (or was) slated to be PS4 only in Japan. Doesnt really change my point much, but its nice to know regardless, so thanks for the info :) I will edit my earlier post for correction sake.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
... I wouldn't count DQ11 and FF15 honestly. They did the bare minimum and FFXV only got to 1M because that was the first shipment - not an achievement.

DQ11 finished around 1.4m? That's more than bare minimum imo. FF15 I agree with you but I think it still shows if they can ship a good amount of KH3 it should do aight. It's just hard to position at this point because the last major KH release was birth by sleep and that was like a decade ago.

Having multi and being in a portable console, can we expect the DQB2 selling at least 150k on the Switch?

Should cross that pretty easily. 200-250k are probably more likely

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQ11 finished around 1.4m? That's more than bare minimum imo. FF15 I agree with you but I think it still shows if they can ship a good amount of KH3 it should do aight. It's just hard to position at this point because the last major KH release was birth by sleep and that was like a decade ago.
It's not bad, but I feel like that deciding to do a PS4/3DS release was way more expensive and made them lose the time to get the peak active userbase for a 3DS Dragon Quest, so the sales they had for DQXI didn't pay off. Well, if they get these numbers back in the west I guess it's fine.

And I don't doubt KH3 has potential for 1M anyway.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
What are your expectations for DQB2? PS4 did 250k for the first one, and I expect that to go up a tad to 350k, and then Switch will probably do a lot better than Vita did imo. Maybe 700k would be more reasonable for you? That would still put the number at over 1M combined.

Just a complete guess right now, but I would say something like PS4 350-400K, Switch 400-500K.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
DQB2 is adding online multiplayer so I'd expect it to outsell the first game long term. I wonder if they'll do local multi for the Switch version too?

Basing the games off mainline DQ is pretty smart too, hits both longtime DQ fans and Minecraft genre that way. Although I sort of wonder if they'll stop at DQB3 then.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's not bad, but I feel like that deciding to do a PS4/3DS release was way more expensive and made them lose the time to get the peak active userbase for a 3DS Dragon Quest, so the sales they had for DQXI didn't pay off. Well, if they get these numbers back in the west I guess it's fine.

Oh 100% the fumbled the shit outta the DQ11 release. It'll do well in the West though and sorta make it up though.

And I don't doubt KH3 has potential for 1M anyway.

100%. But pegging a range I really have no idea. Until the marketing and preorders really kick in I have 0 idea.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Zedark I don't think that the Switch SKU of a big game can already outsell the PS4 SKU by a 2:1 ratio. The userbase is still smaller and for bigger releases it shows.

I think that the PS4 version should be above 300k and the Switch one above 450k LTD with a FW around 150/200k for both.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I was thinking more llike 850k tbh (lifetime). 150k should be over with after the FW sales. Not doing so would most likely mean a non-negligible decrease in FW sales for the game compared to the first entry, which I don't expect.

Yeah >800k seems reasonable to me too. I expect the franchise to grow significantly and also be more popular on Switch.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just a complete guess right now, but I would say something like PS4 350-400K, Switch 400-500K.
Hmm, I think Switch has more potential to sell a DQ game, especially one that plays like Minecraft in some ways, for a number of reasons:

- Switch has Minecraft on it for quite a while already, so the audience that is attracted to that game is on the system;
- Nintendo has a history of DQ games on their systems, so even if DQ mainline isn't on the system yet, the franchise is definitely associated with Nintendo systems;
- Switch is a much healthier platform than the Vita, so its userbase will grow a lot more, and furthermore Switch' software sales are very strong even compared to its install base, meaning that the system in itself very likely has a lot more selling power for a game as big as DQB2 will be;
- the system has been introduced to the DQB series via the port of the first one that released last month, so the spin-off series has been associated with the platform already;
- Switch games tend to have longer legs than PS4 games (even for DQB, the game is likely to sell more than 2x its FW sales on Switch since it's already at 1.5x after 4 weeks).

Basically, the combination of selling power of the platform combined with the fact that Nintendo systems have typically been associated with the franchise is what makes me think Switch is going to do a lot more than what you expect. Of course, PS4 has the association just as much, but I believe that all things being equal, the Switch can sell a lot more, especially for a game that probably will have longer legs than the first entry due to it having multiplayer and maybe also a DLC plan in the future.

Zedark I don't think that the Switch SKU of a big game can already outsell the PS4 SKU by a 2:1 ratio. The userbase is still smaller and for bigger releases it shows.

I think that the PS4 version should be above 300k and the Switch one above 450k LTD with a FW around 150/200k for both.
That's true, but even then the Switch will creep quite a bit closer by the time this game launches (maybe it will have had the summer boost from the Splatoon DLC already). As I mentioned, my thoughts for FW are a 40/60 division in favour of Switch, although 45/55 division is plausible, too. Then, the Switch will have decently stronger legs to finish at a 30/70 split at the very end. Then, PS4 sales would be about 350k and Switch sales 850k in my estimation.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
DQB2 doesn't have a release date yet. When it launches will be a big determinant in platform splits as well. If it's early 2019 the Switch will be ahead of the PS4 in hardware and the splits will more heavily favor it. If it's before December than it will lean more in the center imo. But the game will have online multiplayer and that automatically makes me think it will do better than the first game even though it is losing a sku.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
DQB2 doesn't have a release date yet. When it launches will be a big determinant in platform splits as well. If it's early 2019 the Switch will be ahead of the PS4 in hardware and the splits will more heavily favor it. If it's before December than it will lean more in the center imo. But the game will have online multiplayer and that automatically makes me think it will do better than the first game even though it is losing a sku.
They said originally they were aiming for summer 2018 iirc. Seems pretty soon though, I think we'll get it later this year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They said originally they were aiming for summer 2018 iirc. Seems pretty soon though, I think we'll get it later this year.
Yeah, we haven't gotten a definitive release date yet, so they probably have the room to move it forward, maybe into the fall. In that case, Switch should have had a big boost in hardware sales from both Splatoon 2 DLC and Smash (which I fully expect to launch in September alongside the online service), and therefore the FW sales should skew further towards Switch, in my estimation around or slightly past that 40/60 split in favour of Switch.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Labo is starting to gain serious traction on Amazon, especially the Multi-pack.

There are two Multi-pack SKUs (#11 and #24) and the Robot (#90) in the Top100.

It is interesting because a couple of days ago they were deep in the second half of the Top100.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Labo is starting to gain serious traction on Amazon, especially the Multi-pack.

There are two Multi-pack SKUs (#11 and #24) and the Robot (#90) in the Top100.

It is interesting because a couple of days ago they were deep in the second half of the Top100.
Yup, also on COMG the Variety SKU increased by a point two days in a row after having been stationary for weeks. The signs of a build-up towards launch are there, so it will be the thing to watch in the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone in Japan know if marketing for Labo has ramped up in the last week?

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 finally fell out of the Media Create top 50 after eight weeks in the top 20 and 16 weeks in the top 50. Maybe it will make some more appearances, but even if it doesn't, I'm sure it will continue to sell outside the top 50 for a while longer.

I'm looking forward to seeing updated numbers from Nintendo at the end of the month. I'm still so happy that this game did as well as it did.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
ArcSys is pretty much all on Switch at this point. Basically everything coming up from them is PS4/Switch multi, with some PC and even Xbox ports here and there.

edit: released/announced 13 months in!

Arc System Works PS4
  • Tottemo E Mahjong Plus
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
  • Blazblue: Chono Phantasma Extend
  • Inferno Climber

Arc System Works Switch
  • New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
  • Othello
  • Shephy
  • Boost Beast
  • Double Dragon IV
  • Simple Mahjong Online
  • Of Mice and Sand: Revisited
  • Fantasy Hero: Unsigned Legacy
  • Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo
  • Eat Beat Deadspike-san
  • Gotcha Racing 2nd
  • Happy Birthdays
  • Cube Creator DX
  • Blazblue Cross Tag Battle
  • World End Syndrome
  • Kunio-kun: The World Classics Collection
  • Wizard's Symphony
  • Inferno Climber: Reborn
  • Family Sports series
But again, their biggest franchise, arguably the most significant, isn't coming. "It wouldn't be a good fit", they said. So in a way, it's perfectly symptomatic of the 3rd party situation as a whole: a lot of stuff, but not the big stuff.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
But again, their biggest franchise, arguably the most significant, isn't coming. "It wouldn't be a good fit", they said. So in a way, it's perfectly symptomatic of the 3rd party situation as a whole: a lot of stuff, but not the big stuff.
Their biggest franchise is Blazblue,but I think you are referring to FighterZ

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guilty Gear? cause that seems to be on hiatus at the moment. BlazBlue is coming. what other big IP they have (that's not someone else's IP)?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ArcSys is pretty much all on Switch at this point. Basically everything coming up from them is PS4/Switch multi, with some PC and even Xbox ports here and there.

Arc System Works PS4
  • Tottemo E Mahjong Plus
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
  • Inferno Climber

Arc System Works Switch
  • Othello
  • Shephy
  • Boost Beast
  • Double Dragon IV
  • Simple Mahjong Online
  • Eat Beat Deadspike-san
  • Gotcha Racing 2nd
  • Happy Birthdays
  • Cube Creator DX
  • World End Syndrome
  • Wizard's Symphony
  • Family Sports series
I underestimated just how much support ASW was giving, were they big on 3DS?

Also weren't you banned or did i just imagine that?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I was referring to Guilty Gear, I thought that was bigger than Blazeblue.

That declaration never made sense anyway, why wouldn't Guilty Gear make a good fit when they are happy to bring Cross Tag Battle? But they did say it.
Maybe because Xrd was old and BBCTB isn't. It was probably more timing than anything, GG isn't new to Nintendo systems (GBA, DS, Wii).

Also ASW's biggest game now is Cube Creator by a wide margin.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt know that. Mayeb i'm thinking of FF7 Remake instead, which is (or was) slated to be PS4 only in Japan. Doesnt really change my point much, but its nice to know regardless, so thanks for the info :) I will edit my earlier post for correction sake.
FF7R hasn't being announced for anything besides the PS4, although in the announcement trailer they did put a ''play it first on ps4'' implying it's not a exclusive.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Update: Famitsu Sales (physical sales + digital estimates), 2018 February (Jan 29 - Feb 25)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/6216072/

SWITCH GAMES, Ranking Sales, Japan, 2018 (Mar 12 - Mar 18)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5902657/

I got bored this morning and got some publisher statistics from the Famitsu data for Switch:

RBp2Cim.png

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 finally fell out of the Media Create top 50 after eight weeks in the top 20 and 16 weeks in the top 50. Maybe it will make some more appearances, but even if it doesn't, I'm sure it will continue to sell outside the top 50 for a while longer.

I'm looking forward to seeing updated numbers from Nintendo at the end of the month. I'm still so happy that this game did as well as it did.
Ever so slightly I continue to feel the road to 2 million might be a possibility

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Japan its "legs" were due to bargain bins.
I wouldnt count overshipping as legs. if anything, continuous shipments are legs. as for FF15, I was more talking globally. but given how multiplayer was a downloadable add-on that came later, I guess it didnt push the game up that much

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
even though it's obviously impossible, I'm with you

It's not impossible, it's hard, probably the hardest goal of a Nintendo game these days, but you know what? The Xenoblade series is becoming popular game after game. And not only because the waifus on it, or even being a moderately ambitious JRPG game in a Nintendo platform, but I feel that if the series continue to evolve it's core, bringing something new to the table and putting some QoL features on itm I feel that the series will turn itself into a big one in the JRPG scenario.

Anyway, it's hard to evaluate the XB series in a world where Splatoon is big since the day 1, and even the old Xeno games being a lot more ambitious on their screenplay, but there are times which you find a unexpected gem in sea of bullshit (i'm looking at you, FF XIII), and I really wish that the Monolithsoft continues to giving their best on the series.

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Arc System Works PS4
  • Tottemo E Mahjong Plus
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
  • Inferno Climber

Arc System Works Switch
  • Othello
  • Shephy
  • Boost Beast
  • Double Dragon IV
  • Simple Mahjong Online
  • Eat Beat Deadspike-san
  • Gotcha Racing 2nd
  • Happy Birthdays
  • Cube Creator DX
  • World End Syndrome
  • Wizard's Symphony
  • Family Sports series
Something, something small developers taking bigger chances than larger ones. :thinking: