• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you're quoting the wrong person, but ok. Yeah, your point makes sense, I know how big it is in China too, but isn't Japan by far the biggest part of the revenue? I still don't know if x2 seems fair to get to that revenue.

But again. There is difference in spending betwen Jp, Na and China there. Grouping all into one singular number is not going to be correct there.
I mean, sure I can spend the whole night finding the exact ratio, but I have better things to do (such as talking to you guys) so I took an educated guess. Make it 1.6, or 2.3, does it make a difference? My approximation was already very rough. I just assumed Mario sold 20M copies per year. Is that really the case outside of launch year? In 2016 Mario probably sold less than 10M copies. This year I give Odyssey 8M, MK8DX 8M, and Mario Tennis 4M so the total can be 20M. That's already extremely generous on my part.

My whole point is revenue-wise they are on par with each other. Agree or disagree?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure I can spend the whole night finding the exact ratio, but I have better things to do (such as talking to you guys) so I took an educated guess. Make it 1.6, or 2.3, does it make a difference? My approximation was already very rough. I just assumed Mario sold 20M copies per year. Is that really the case outside of launch year? In 2016 Mario probably sold less than 10M copies. This year I give Odyssey 8M, MK8DX 8M, and Mario Tennis 4M so the total can be 20M. That's already extremely generous on my part.

My whole point is revenue-wise they are on par with each other. Agree or disagree?
Nah, I agree. I'm just against the 2x multiplier for japanese popular mobage because of how bigger iOS is.

Fate is bringing more revenue game-wise these last few years (that's why I brought it up in the discussion), Mario probably edges it out with licenses and marketing (even tho Fate is big in this stuff too). Also more important to Nintendo because it's a hardware seller and its general mainstream popularity makes the Nintendo brand stronger.

It's an interesting discussion anyway.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

How about Mario Run's ~20m sales and 200m+ installs?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If we are talking about revenue in gaming sure i agree lol. I am just talking early on about the IP power there and how much revenue the IP can bring not.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
All this discussion about mobile made me wonder how often mobile games actually turn into sucesful console games or long term IPs. Do sequels to mobile games do well ?

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, I was talking about globally. And globally, as far as I remember the split is usually even (I hope Nirolak can show up with some data cuz I can't do the search right now). FGO is not just one of the top grossing mobile games in Japan. It's one of the top in NA and China too.

Fate doesn't really outperform FEH in the US, but of course, we are talking about the English version of the App. The tracking stats for the Japanese version is of course Japan-only and does not give us any split for foreign weebs playing on it (who are likely to be mega whales).

FATE Grand Order
V5uDBFb.png

A436ew2.png
Vs.
FEH
WAPBA4Y.png

08dba771-530d-40d2-a363-c7b3304cca85
iEWlhEo.png

As for China, given how many store fronts there are in China, Google Apps and Apple Store-only metrics probably don't tell us much. I am pretty sure HoK beats FGO all the time if those half a dozen local apps stores are counted.

If we are talking about revenue in gaming sure i agree lol. I am just talking early on about the IP power there and how much revenue the IP can bring not.

The ONLY RELEVANT "IP power" is how much money an IP makes. Being widely known means nothing at all if it doesn't translate to dollars and cents, beyond being a target for novelty trivial pursuit questions and occasional nostalgia pandering.

Last edited:

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All this discussion about mobile made me wonder how often mobile games actually turn into sucesful console games or long term IPs. Do sequels to mobile games do well ?

Puzzle and Dragon and Monster Strike is some of those titles i remember hitting 1 million 3DS there. Monster Strike hit bomba bin hard though.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Probably skews older. Mobage is not really kid friendly
Yeah, it certainly does, I would actually be really shocked if 10 year olds were talking about Fate.

Personally I don't find the interest in the series. One of my favorite light novel authors Narita Ryogo writes some of the series but I find even those boring and tedious. *shrug* Saber looks nice though.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it certainly does, I would actually be really shocked if 10 year olds were talking about Fate.

Personally I don't find the interest in the series. One of my favorite light novel authors Narita Ryogo writes some of the series but I find even those boring and tedious. *shrug* Saber looks nice though.
The concept is very cool (really, it's one of these simple concepts like Harry Potter and X-Men that are just great for immersion) and I used to like the series when I was a teen, but I'm done with it already. Too much stuff and I have no interest in GO and the direction it took the franchise. Still would be interested in an Extra game like the first one tho, really liked the RPS system for a RPG, lol.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
If you guys are talking about who I think you are, they caught a 3 week ban for their usual gaslighting and intellectually dishonest arguments, only this time doing it in a thread about an important topic (the Jordan Peterson thread in Off-Topic).

Incredible.
I never heard about that Peterson but reading the last OP thread it felt like it was about that member and not Peterson. And here he was defending him in his usual way.

Oh well to not make a post about that only here are some random anecdotal things from Japan

- Met someone the other day, he happens to be a big gamer and was born and raised in Niigata, awesome so I asked him if he knew about Comgnet :
"No"

- One of my work colleague used to be a big otaku (using "-chi" suffix is what betrayed him), big fan of Super Sonico, Bayonetta and Street Fighter.
He owns a PS4 and was mostly only playing Street Fighter V on it when he had some leisure time (which is not so often as he works between 80-100h/week with only one day off).

That was until Monster Hunter World's release, he was a big fan of the IP apparently, great so I asked him how much he played MH4 :
"Oh never played that one"
Uh but I thought you were a fan?
"Yes but I don't own a 3DS" (I think at this point you may have an idea where this is going)
Oh portable is the problem then, what's the latest one you played ?
"Portable 3rd, went past the 999h clock"
Nice, then why didn't you bought a 3DS for the next entries?
"Ma, Nintendo dakara"
??? How does it matter a game is a game no?
"Yes but it's Nintendo so it's different, somehow it's wrong"
But you're a Bayonetta's fan too, how did you play 2?
"Ahhhh I really want to play 2, but it's on Wii U why isn't it on Playstation, it's wrong"
Well the game wouldn't exist it wasn't for Nintendo, 3 is coming to Switch as well so if you want to play them...
"Ehhhhh well I'll really have to buy a Switch I understand I understand but damn this is wrong..."

That was some console warrior in it's purest innocent form, I mean I had some fait idea that people like that existed but to just seems right in front of me was quite something and un expected.
To be fair considering how he lived until now it's not so surprising, like many he was fond of one hardware at a young age and when he became an adult he began to work early insane hours so he just had no occasion to develop any critical thinking.
It's fascinating and sad at the same time.

On a sidenote he bought Ninokuni 2 because of me apparently so that "we have something to talk about together"

Last edited:

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible.
I never heard about that Peterson but reading the last OP thread it felt like it was about that member and not Peterson. And here he was defending him in his usual way.

Oh well to not make a post about that only here are some random anecdotal things from Japan

- Met someone the other day, he happens to be a big gamer and was born and raised in Niigata, awesome so I asked him if he knew about Comgnet :
"No"

- One of my work colleague used to be a big otaku (using "-chi" suffix is what betrayed him), big fan of Super Sonico, Bayonetta and Street Fighter.
He owns a PS4 and was mostly only playing Street Fighter V on it when he had some leisure time (which is not so often as he works between 80-100h/week with only one day off).

That was until Monster Hunter World's release, he was a big fan of the IP apparently, great so I asked him how much he played MHW :
"Yes but I don't own a 3DS" (I think at this point you may have an idea where this is going)
"Ma, Nintendo dakara"
"Ahhhh I really want to play 2, but it's on Wii U why isn't it on Playstation, it's wrong"
Well the game wouldn't exist it wasn't for Nintendo, 3 is coming to Switch as well so if you want to play them...
"Ehhhhh well I'll really have to buy a Switch I understand I understand but damn this is wrong..."

That was some console warrior in it's purest innocent form, I mean I had some fait idea that people like that existed but to just seems right in front of me was quite something and un expected.
To be fair considering how he lived until now it's not so surprising, like many he was fond of one hardware at a young age and when he became an adult he began to work early insane hours so he just had no occasion to develop any critical thinking.

On a sidenote he bought Ninokuni 2 because of me apparently so that "we have something to talk about together"

Wait, he thought that MHW is on 3DS?

Also, nice work making him buy Ni No Kuni 2 ;)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
l- One of my work colleague used to be a big otaku (using "-chi" suffix is what betrayed him), big fan of Super Sonico, Bayonetta and Street Fighter.

That was until Monster Hunter World's release, he was a big fan of the IP apparently, great so I asked him how much he played MHW :
"Ma, Nintendo dakara"

This reminds me of that informal MH survey that sort of implied some number of World players were lapsed fans who didn't follow the transition from PS2/PSP to Wii/3DS. Makes you wonder how big MH might get if it went multiplatform in the region. Then again DQ did that and shrank anyway due to bad timing on the 3DS side.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible.

"No"

"Ma, Nintendo dakara"

This reads exactly like some conversations I have in my country. Haha.

Anyway, feels like many MHW fans in Japan were waiting since MHP3 to go back to the series.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Wait, he thought that MHW is on 3DS?

Also, nice work making him buy Ni No Kuni 2 ;)

Some bigass typo there, I wanted to write MH4 not MHW, he very well knew MHW was on PS4 bought it and played +100h

We never talked about Ninokuni so I don't really know how he bought it because of me

fiendcode : Yep I thought about that as well, it was in early February even so that news was still fresh

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

This part is hilarious considering Bayonetta was developed for 360 by PG and then ported by Sega to PS3 with its problems that went with it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This part is hilarious considering Bayonetta was developed for 360 by PG and then ported by Sega to PS3 with its problems that went with it.

Well it's only really Playstation that has that level of ownership with third party games. It's commonplace for games that have had no Sony involvement at all to be "Playstation franchises" whereas that really doesn't happen with Microsoft or Nintendo.

Hell there's even examples like Dragon Quest Heroes where it was referred to as "Dragon Quest coming home" despite the fact the franchise has had more of a presence on Nintendo hardware.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was until Monster Hunter World's release, he was a big fan of the IP apparently, great so I asked him how much he played MH4 :
"Ma, Nintendo dakara"

Reminds of when the first Xenoblade came out, I remember reading somewhere (gaf maybe?) that ''Xenoblade PS3'' was trending on amazon jp searches. When a franchise/name is so connected to a specific console and brand it's hard to disassociate that image for a lot of people, I know that personally having Sonic on Nintendo consoles was extremely bizarre for me initially even though we always had at least two consoles in our house thanks to my older brother lol.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I feel that in Asia, Sony hardware is seen as trendy and in, especially among guys who are into geek stuff but don't want to look like super nerds. It's a little like how people see Apple. There's this hilarious perception which just sucks up the marketing that Sony stuff is cool, and the expectation is that if you are playing cutting edge badass games targeted towards older male audiences, you should be on Sony. I don't even think it's really console warrior so much as successful sheep marketing. I've noticed that people who are less hung on up this masculine cool guy image don't care as much about that - and that's a lot of the general audience, both core and casual. So the ones who buy into the image marketing the most are tryhards, but they definitely exist.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Well it's only really Playstation that has that level of ownership with third party games. It's commonplace for games that have had no Sony involvement at all to be "Playstation franchises" whereas that really doesn't happen with Microsoft or Nintendo.

Hell there's even examples like Dragon Quest Heroes where it was referred to as "Dragon Quest coming home" despite the fact the franchise has had more of a presence on Nintendo hardware.
This isn't really true you can name any number of gameboy advance and ds franchise that this would describe. Even some 3DS franchises.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 ( Mar 26 - Apr 01)

28777_1_418_276_3.jpg

~ 1.200 stores

01/ N [PS4] Far Cry 5
02/ N [PS4] Super Robot Wars X ( with Premium Animation Song & Sound Edition)
03/ N [PSV] Super Robot Wars X ( with Premium Animation Song & Sound Edition)

04/01 [NSW] Kirby Star Allies
05/02 [PS4] Ninokuni 2 Revenant Kingdom
06/07 [PS4] Attack On Titan 2
07/ N [PS4] Shining Resonance Refrain
08/06 [NSW] Splatoon 2
09/09 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
10/03 [PS4] Valkyria Chronicles 4

Mr. Takafumi Muto: "Far Cry games have been increasing the number of sales each time and FarCry 5 shows a good result beyond the previous Far Cry game. PS4 / PSVita Super Robot Wars X ranked second and third. This is a sales trend of 80% compared with the previous game Super Robot Wars V. Kirby Star Allies and Ninokuni 2 Revenant Kingdom keep good performance."

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu Sales: FY 2017 (2017 Mar 27 - 2018 Mar 25)

01./00. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} (¥4.980) - 2.198.231 / NEW
02./00. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 2.146.190 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World # <ACT> (Capcom) {2018.01.26} (¥8.980) - 1.917.492 / NEW
04./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 1.763.948 / NEW
05./00. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 1.613.076 / NEW
06./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 1.397.018 / NEW
07./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 1.353.432 / NEW
08./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 563.274 / 870.895
09./00. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters 2: Hihou Legend Banbarayaa - Sword / Magnum <ACT> (Level 5) {2017.12.16} (¥4.800) - 491.779 / NEW
10./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 417.119 / 1.687.451

Top 10

3DS - 4
NSW - 4
PS4 - 2

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This FY   |  Last FY   |     LTD     |
|  NSW  |  3.512.773 |    524.371 |   4.037.144 |
| PS4 # |  2.036.011 |  1.956.558 |   6.544.228 |
| 3DS # |  1.410.312 |  2.077.490 |  23.951.928 |
| PSV # |    271.716 |    693.123 |   5.709.193 |
| XB1 # |     16.212 |     10.531 |      92.861 |
|  PS3  |      7.915 |     38.230 |  10.274.113 |
|  WIU  |      7.342 |    199.564 |   3.302.484 |
|  ALL  |  7.262.281 |  5.499.867 |  43.637.838 |
| XB1 X |      6.451 |            |       6.451 |
| XB1 S |      9.761 |      4.647 |      14.408 |
|PS4 Pro|    456.074 |    207.444 |     663.518 |
|  PS4  |  1.579.937 |  1.749.114 |   5.880.710 |
|  PSV  |    271.716 |    693.123 |   5.709.193 |
|n-2DSLL|    724.343 |            |     724.343 |
|  2DS  |    112.990 |    459.031 |     572.021 |
| n-3DS |    572.979 |  1.602.968 |   5.735.287 |

MARKET VALUE - Millions Yen
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+
|System |  This FY   |  Last FY   |
|  H-W  |    200.310 |    131.190 |
|  S-W  |    187.490 |    187.250 |
|  TOT  |    387.810 |    318.440 |

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu Sales: FY 2017 (2017 Mar 27 - 2018 Mar 25)

01./00. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} (¥4.980) - 2.198.231 / NEW
02./00. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 2.146.190 / NEW
03./00. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World # <ACT> (Capcom) {2018.01.26} (¥8.980) - 1.917.492 / NEW
04./00. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 1.763.948 / NEW
05./00. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 1.613.076 / NEW
06./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 1.397.018 / NEW
07./00. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 1.353.432 / NEW
08./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 563.274 / 870.895
09./00. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters 2: Hihou Legend Banbarayaa - Sword / Magnum <ACT> (Level 5) {2017.12.16} (¥4.800) - 491.779 / NEW
10./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 417.119 / 1.687.451

Top 10

3DS - 4
NSW - 4
PS4 - 2

HARDWARE
Code:
|System |  This FY   |  Last FY   |     LTD     |
|  NSW  |  3.512.773 |    524.371 |   4.037.144 |
| PS4 # |  2.036.011 |  1.956.558 |   6.544.228 |
| 3DS # |  1.410.312 |  2.077.490 |  23.951.928 |
| PSV # |    271.716 |    693.123 |   5.709.193 |
| XB1 # |     16.212 |     10.531 |      92.861 |
|  PS3  |      7.915 |     38.230 |  10.274.113 |
|  WIU  |      7.342 |    199.564 |   3.302.484 |
|  ALL  |  7.262.281 |  5.499.867 |  43.637.838 |
| XB1 X |      6.451 |            |       6.451 |
| XB1 S |      9.761 |      4.647 |      14.408 |
|PS4 Pro|    456.074 |    207.444 |     663.518 |
|  PS4  |  1.579.937 |  1.749.114 |   5.880.710 |
|  PSV  |    271.716 |    693.123 |   5.709.193 |
|n-2DSLL|    724.343 |            |     724.343 |
|  2DS  |    112.990 |    459.031 |     572.021 |
| n-3DS |    572.979 |  1.602.968 |   5.735.287 |

MARKET VALUE - Millions Yen
Code:
|System |  This FY   |  Last FY   |
|  H-W  |    200.310 |    131.190 |
|  S-W  |    187.490 |    187.250 |
|  TOT  |    387.810 |    318.440 |

Chris, do you have the software chart for the previous years ?

I am guessing that Pokemon was pretty often on top.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Surprising that the FY with Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter was only under 100k over the FY with Final Fantasy for PS4. Seems like it's peaked.

Xbox One should break 100k this year! (lol)

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Official data are yet to come but from these retailer reports, Far Cry 5 topped Far Cry 4 opening and the decline of Super Robot Wars continued.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Surprising that the FY with Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter was only under 100k over the FY with Final Fantasy for PS4. Seems like it's peaked.

Xbox One should break 100k this year! (lol)

Considering the constant news of declining and underperforming games, most recently Valkyria Chr.4 and NiNoKuni2, with SRW seemingly joining in as well, it really isn't shocking news, sure it's surprisingly close despite having two huge IPs like MH and DQ in the same fiscal year, but in the grand scheme of things, these games were not more than sugercoating to the overall decline.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
At the moment the decline of Jikkyou Powerful Pro Base ball 2018 must be considered given but the size of decline, big or small, is still unknown.
___

From the already announced games Famitsu sees Labo, Super Smash Bros. And Kingdom Hearts III as most important for this Fiscal Year.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This could change with an Animal Crossing announcement at E3 (or a NSMB compilation for the Switch with remade NSMB abd NSMB 2 with NSMBU artstyle)

Yes I can dream!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really true you can name any number of gameboy advance and ds franchise that this would describe. Even some 3DS franchises.

Sorry saw this when I was out shopping and forgot to respond. The fact that you're only really confident about saying that for GBA/DS games is telling.

Even on 3DS it would be a very short list and you're overwhelmingly likely to be talking about a franchise that is tied to 3DS/Nintendo because Nintendo published it outside of Japan.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry saw this when I was out shopping and forgot to respond. The fact that you're only really confident about saying that for GBA/DS games is telling.

Even on 3DS it would be a very short list and you're overwhelmingly likely to be talking about a franchise that is tied to 3DS/Nintendo because Nintendo published it outside of Japan.
There was a number on the 3DS. In fact of your a kid friendly/focused franchise the chances you were on the vita or the ps4 was very low
Minecraft changed that a bit but not to any great degree. so were talking about a substantial number of ip here.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Incredible.

"No"

"Ma, Nintendo dakara"

Haha. I feel that too lol. The purest form of fanboyism.^_^ I had seen that happen more that once with most of my gaming circle too.^_^

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 4 opened at 60k across PS4 and PS3 (37k for PS4 and 23k for PS3). So i guess we should expect around 60-80k for Far Cry 5 in it's first week on retail.