• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
This might be an unpopular opinion, but Animal Crossing NH matching so easily the 3DS version makes Luigi's Mansion 3 sales more disappointing for having a hard time matching LM2 for 3DS (probably never will).
Same could be applied for Mario Maker 2 I guess.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
This might be an unpopular opinion, but Animal Crossing NH matching so easily the 3DS version makes Luigi's Mansion 3 sales more disappointing for having a hard time matching LM2 for 3DS (probably never will).

yeah, LM2 just did extremely well. Maybe it really was a long time coming type of title. You think LM3 would of done 2mil (Switch effect) but it'll settle around 1.2mil lifetime.

SMM2 as well but to a much lesser extent imo

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Just realized Dengeki PlayStation had it's final issue this month. Dengeki Nintendo is continuing on a monthly schedule though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, LM2 just did extremely well. Maybe it really was a long time coming type of title. You think LM3 would of done 2mil (Switch effect) but it'll settle around 1.2mil lifetime.

SMM2 as well but to a much lesser extent imo
LM2 seems to have some good legs in Europe, so 2M doesn't seem out of the question

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
EUUXhwhUYAA_VX7

EUerGuhXQAAMGNg

ER6rxZ1UcAAiNWu

EUcSzzDVAAkvlzy

EUcNPKBUUAAEEid

EUevMSMWoAIx5id

EUemBmVWAAAJkv0

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Do we have any numbers? How do we know what digital amounts to?
We do, actually. Nintendo shipments can be combined with sell through data to figure out a digital percentage for periods where applicable. Digital percentages traditionally were as low as 10-15%, but post-vouchers numbers have risen drastically to >30% for most games and up to ~50+% for games like Astral Chain and FETH (where the voucher deal saves more money). A game like AC has the same voucher advantage as LM3 and LA iirc, so theoretically we would expect only a ~30% digital share... but these different circumstances, who knows. Definitely not above 50% though.
Ok last one from me!!!

First 8 weeks in Japan

4.368.711 Pokemon BW (DS)
4.094.939 Monster Hunter (PSP)
3,794,000 DQIX (DS)
3.434.382 DQXI (3DS/PS4/NSW)
3.356.354 Pokemon XY (3DS)
3,235,861 DQVIII (PS2)
3.185.059 Pokemon SWSH (NSW)
2.774.747 SSBU (NSW)
2,286,977 ACNL (3DS)

1.880.626 AC New Horizons, where will it end up after 8 weeks?
(yes I combined all sku of DQ11 lmao)
Wow, you're already contributing so much.. I'm glad to have you here :)

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Ehh. You can still name western major high budget simultaneous switch releases on one hand. And its really one company. Probably also depends on your definition of "high budget" relative to the typical Japanese developed budget.
Namco Bandai is a joke as well. Several anime games not making it just to not undervalue their game by being playableon the "weak hardware".
And they act like they're doing high end content. I I'm laughing so hard.
Sega is also doing that a bit.

Now Square Enix also seem to be in there. In the end they just released series already seen on Nintendo and I can already see the next thing after bravely be some KH crap since the Switch is a 3ds with some power for them I guess.

You have many teams from other companies with many obvious games that could/should come who just have a mix of bias or fear to even not be ps exclusive or just "release on Nintendo", depends on which ones.

It's not even about the west doing more or less, but being surprising and quite varied versus a very, very wary Japan that does even less than the usual, on a console that, let's be honest here is clearly not a risk to be developed on beside what... the price/memory of cartridges.
And I'm absolutely sure that is not what makes the decisions final.

And lastly there are those who know they'll release a late port on Switch but don't say it.
Again, that's a very Namco Bandai thing. They act as if their game is impressive because hey, it's not on the Switch. Then they say they're considering the switch, maybe it's possible who knows and magically the game is announced 3 days after and they say they worked like wizards to make it possible.
You can't be more bs that that.

Last edited:

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
We do, actually. Nintendo shipments can be combined with sell through data to figure out a digital percentage for periods where applicable. Digital percentages traditionally were as low as 10-15%, but post-vouchers numbers have risen drastically to >30% for most games and up to ~50+% for games like Astral Chain and FETH (where the voucher deal saves more money). A game like AC has the same voucher advantage as LM3 and LA iirc, so theoretically we would expect only a ~30% digital share... but these different circumstances, who knows. Definitely not above 50% though.

cool, thanks.
Still, it's significant. Half a million or so.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Enough with the usual third party talk, let's start more vibrant conversations! Like

Are we expecting Mojipittan to hit 100,000 copies in the long term?

I do think so. Switch userbase is expanding rapidly thanks to Ring Fit, Pokémon and Animal Crossing and this kind of game, if well promoted, might really explode in sales.

Luigi's Mansion 3 sales in Japan were slightly disappointing, I agree, but the result is still pretty remarkable. I think that it's Luigi's Mansion 2 that was really outstanding. Nevertheless, both this game and Maker 2 will make up in Western countries. The former, in particular, is likely to be a 10m game.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Maker 2 is probably the real disappointment of 2019 for Nintendo. There seemed to be so much potential in it and it only did a bit better than the WiiU version.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

Did we get sell through numbers for Astral Chain from Ninintendo?

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Did we get sell through numbers for Astral Chain from Ninintendo?
in 2019, it shipped 0.16 million units in japan only. Numbers from famitsu i believe had it at around 60k for the same period. sell through & shipments were basically one and the same, so we could infer ~100k digital sales.

this made sense, as Astral Chain had a higher price than even FETH, and was (is?) the the game that saves the most money with a voucher purchase.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
in 2019, it shipped 0.16 million units in japan only. Numbers from famitsu i believe had it at around 60k for the same period. sell through & shipments were basically one and the same, so we could infer ~100k digital sales.

this made sense, as Astral Chain had a higher price than even FETH, and was (is?) the the game that saves the most money with a voucher purchase.

No way man. Famitsu said digital sales were 22k so Nintendo obviously overshipped about 80k units./s

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks. Is this the second quarterly report from Nintendo after Astral Chain released, by the way? I mean to remember that people wanting to see the download sales for the game, hoping that it would be included in a later quarterly report, like it was missing from the first. Unless i'm mixing it up with another game, but i dont think i am.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Is this the second quarterly report from Nintendo after Astral Chain released, by the way? I mean to remember that people wanting to see the download sales for the game, hoping that it would be included in a later quarterly report, like it was missing from the first. Unless i'm mixing it up with another game, but i dont think i am.
Astral Chain wasnt included in the September data because it didnt sell over a million which it did in the next quarter, thats how we got its numbers and can deduce the digital sales because that many months after launch physical copies in shelves were minimal

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo only reports on a game once shipments exceed 1m, Astral Chain only crossed that threshold in it's second quarter so it wasn't on the report for the quarter ending in September.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
I agree to those users that find MM2 sales a bit disappointed. The game will end up at ~7 Mio. sold units in the end. This is still quite good, but considering the sales records that a lot of other nintendo titles broke on switch (3D Mario, Zelda, Smash, AC), MM2 is definitely underperforming.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain wasnt included in the September data because it didnt sell over a million which it did in the next quarter, thats how we got its numbers and can deduce the digital sales because that many months after launch physical copies in shelves were minimal
Nintendo only reports on a game once shipments exceed 1m, Astral Chain only crossed that threshold in it's second quarter so it wasn't on the report for the quarter ending in September.
Thanks. Then i remembered correctly about it not showing up an earlier report :) Cool that it reached a million units sold, so we got the download numbers too.

And yeah, the numbers of retail copies sold at the later months probably wasnt that big, indeed. We also get to know more accurately when Media Create 2019 White Paper comes out soon (and Nintendo uses Media Create for their retail numbers).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Many people assumed that Mario Maker had the potential to match or even surpass Mario 2D and I never understood it. Many people are drawn to the idea of creating your own levels but even more want to just play pre-made things.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I agree to those users that find MM2 sales a bit disappointed. The game will end up at ~7 Mio. sold units in the end. This is still quite good, but considering the sales records that a lot of other nintendo titles broke on switch (3D Mario, Zelda, Smash, AC), MM2 is definitely underperforming.

I think we mustn't expect every single Nintendo franchise to post record sales on Switch. Some of them will still have a -- relatively -- limited appeal like, apparently, Mario Maker which will always cater to a more selected audience with respect to a traditional 2D Mario platform game. Increasing 100%+ over the Wii U entry is still a big success even considering the fact that in terms of development it's not an AAA game (in fact it might have started as a Wii U porting as Splatoon 2 as well, and later on converted to a full-fledged sequel). Also, the platform genre is really overrepresented on Switch---Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Yoshi + Crash, Spyro + tenth of indie platform games on eShop.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Capcom as a whole really went to an even more pronounced focus on Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. Making their backlog catalog available, is ironically the most diversifying thing they have been doing in the past few years, which shows how monotonous their output has become. "Capcom is back", yes they are, with their backlog catalog.

Namco Bandai is a joke as well. Several anime games not making it just to not undervalue their game by being playableon the "weak hardware".
And they act like they're doing high end content. I I'm laughing so hard.
Sega is also doing that a bit.

Now Square Enix also seem to be in there. In the end they just released series already seen on Nintendo and I can already see the next thing after bravely be some KH crap since the Switch is a 3ds with some power for them I guess.

You have many teams from other companies with many obvious games that could/should come who just have a mix of bias or fear to even not be ps exclusive or just "release on Nintendo", depends on which ones.

It's not even about the west doing more or less, but being surprising and quite varied versus a very, very wary Japan that does even less than the usual, on a console that, let's be honest here is clearly not a risk to be developed on beside what... the price/memory of cartridges.
And I'm absolutely sure that is not what makes the decisions final.

And lastly there are those who know they'll release a late port on Switch but don't say it.
Again, that's a very Namco Bandai thing. They act as if their game is impressive because hey, it's not on the Switch. Then they say they're considering the switch, maybe it's possible who knows and magically the game is announced 3 days after and they say they worked like wizards to make it possible.
You can't be more bs that that.

It's almost surreal that there actually are decisions based on these kind of argumentation. Not to include a Nintendo SKU, so that you can appear to be more valuable (AAA) is something straight out of a consolewarrior debate, but it seems to Happen, despite how ridiculous it is.

Last edited:

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Are we gonna create new terms of what a remaster is again. Those are complete remakes and not cheap

Constant debates about remake/remaster/port terminology is kinda annoying, especially as it's more often than not coming from someone arguing in bad faith (if not downright trolling).

Yeah this is some shit that I have seen lately and it's also why the rumours about the Mario remasters are confusing. You have even people calling things like Xenoblade DE a port not even a remaster when it's a disservice to what it's doing. With the revisionism going on you might as well call Ocarina 3DS a remaster instead of a remake.
Xenoblade DE also falls in line with games like Halo CE remake where assets are new and even in the case of Xenoblade it includes some new epilogue.

Ironically a bunch of these so called "remasters" are what people used to also call ports when during previous gens there were plenty of ports with better resolutions and QoL features since it was expected. Some even including extra content.

OoT 3D is an interesting case. It's a 1:1 conversion (nothing major added/removed in the main game), but it was entirely recreated from scratch in brand new engine with brand new textures and the likes.

Some games really do blur the line between remaster/remake.

I won't comment on LM3 because I don't feel comparing games that have nothing in common is worth it, but SMM2 is indeed an interesting case. I think the reason its legs are (or at least appear) subpar is because of two main factors: lack of novelty factor compared to SMM (3DS), and really poor post-launch support (really surprising with how hard Nintendo claim to be pushing for post-launch support).

Maybe they'll announce something big for 35th Anniversary of Mario.

Sep 24, 2019
How many hours until the next numbers?

We switched to Daylight Savings Time past weekend, which always confuses me when it comes to other timezones.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Capcom as a whole really went to an even more pronounced focus on Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. Making their backlog catalog available, is ironically the most diversifying thing they have been doing in the past few years, which shows how monotonous their output has become. "Capcom is back", yes they are, with their backlog catalog.

It's almost surreal that there actually are decisions based on these kind of argumentation. Not to include a Nintendo SKU, so that you can appear to be more valuable (AAA) is something straight out of a consolewarrior debate, but it seems to Happen, despite how ridiculous it is.
Yeah. It's so crazy and I mean... it could be "fair" (let's say that) if you're doing a game that might "look peak current gen", but Namco Bandai... I mean, do they really think they're fooling people ?
Well... they did with the last Dragon Ball I guess but when they say their last God Eater is pushing power limits or whatever I just Spidermanlaugh.gif.

They just look amazingly ridiculous when beside that you see Falcom and NIS trying to bring kind of hard to sell story (continuity) heavy RPG (cold steel).
And lets not even compare to some western third party. Maybe they didn't get the memo that the Witcher 3 was looking at them with disdain.

So yeah, no wonder there is console war when even publisher's are trying to work towards it.