• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how weekend goes but so far the signs are that Animal Crossing will have a huge second week.

Wetflix

Mar 16, 2019
I am so addicted to this game, and this is my first time ever playing the Animal Crossing series. Completely understandable why so many people are buying it.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
How long until AC becomes Switch's best-selling game?
Can it beat Smash before Sword and Shield?

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Funny how it's likely the best selling AC in Japan will easily become the best selling AC in ROTW. Yet again Nintendo chooses to not operate from an either-or perspective.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If even FFXV is a million seller in Japan, i really doubt FFVIIR is not going to reach that

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how it's likely the best selling AC in Japan will easily become the best selling AC in ROTW. Yet again Nintendo chooses to not operate from an either-or perspective.
you mean you don't have to give up japan or the west when targeting a demographic?

tenor.gif

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
I think one reason for the high hardware numbers is that people are aware Switch could be soon in short supply. OG Switch is already in short supply for weeks.

So people don't hold back.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Guys it's not hard to figure out, he's taking a conservative estimate for digital % and then saying the game shipped more than this amount. Nothing wrong with that.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Ok wow I wasnt expecting that much HW sales at ALL. For AC numbers I knew it would be massive, franchise growth and actual situation made a perfect storm.
There will be other shipments of the AC Switch so I expect other pretty big weeks. Productions picked up in China too so hopefully the bundle can carry the Switch until bigger classic switch shipments are up.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Switch up 50% YoY so far. If production lines are fixed by early april (as suggested by the next AC bundle shipment) we could see a year with more than 5 million switches sold, maybe even 5.5

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Guys, it's pretty simple...
"looks" = it seem it did it, but is not official
"exceeded " = it did more than that

"looks to have exceeded 2.5 million units in its first three days" = With a bit of math everyone who understand the market can guess it probabily did more than that

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I still think FF7R will end a good amount above FF15 in Japan. But there's no denying that was not supposed to be a tough hurdle.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Would be really sad if FF7R couldn't outsell FF3R.

Wouldn't be that surprising. PS4 is nowhere near the DS in popularity and FF3 camr out during its really popular years and FF7:R is coming out when the PS4 is dead.

Just feels like another case of a game coming out too late in a system's life. Also the FF brand is just not worth as much now a days.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Would be really sad if FF7R couldn't outsell FF3R.
Not really. Before the remake FF3 was only available on the Famicom. There were no other versions to play. As such it was a highly requested game from fans and sales reflected that

You can play FF7 on anything nowadays. It's going to be harder to find a device that can't play FF7 than one on which you can.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Guys it's not hard to figure out, he's taking a conservative estimate for digital % and then saying the game shipped more than this amount. Nothing wrong with that.
He's an analyst. He doesn't tweet estimates based on exactly nothing. I my self have a gut feeling the digital is high but we can't know for sure. That's why that tweet is weird.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
He's an analyst. He doesn't tweet estimates based on exactly nothing. I my self have a gut feeling the digital is high but we can't know for sure. That's why that tweet is weird.
The wording makes it clear he doesn'T know the digital part and is just guestimating. As pointed out, he used a 25% digital share which would be prety low for a Nintendo title available through the voucher program

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing started as a console game and was a success way back on the GC and N64
I dont see quite how this relates to my post - but yeah AC been around for a while.
Being a analyst doesnt mean you have access to internal data before Nintendo makes them public.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Ryng put it better than I did:

Guys, it's pretty simple...
"looks" = it seem it did it, but is not official
"exceeded " = it did more than that

"looks to have exceeded 2.5 million units in its first three days" = With a bit of math everyone who understand the market can guess it probabily did more than that

This is being blown out of proportion. Zhuge is saying that, assuming a digital ratio of AT LEAST 25%, it shipped AT LEAST 2.5M.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
How long until AC becomes Switch's best-selling game?
Can it beat Smash before Sword and Shield?
If AC sales in the first few weeks are indeed as strong as it is suggested, there is a chance that By March 31st ACNH will be the Switch game with the highest sell-in in Japan (once Nintendo will report the full FY results in early May).

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
We could see Animal Crossing shipment being over 4m in Japan when financial results are announced.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
FF15 was always gonna be the ceiling, methinks. so it was never likely to me
My assumption is that (some) people who were fans of the franchise but had since grow out of FF (and his antics aimed at today teens) would be draw to a remake of a game which had a huge cultural impact back in late '90s.
That's why I expected FF7R ep. 1 (PS4) to perform better than FFXV in Japan.

I know that it will be released in the twilight days of PS4 (and PS4 was never really strong in Japan to begin with) and that splitting the remake into multiple games doesn't exactly inspire confidence but my guess was that lapsed gamers would propel sales in conjunction with the current fans of the series.

We could see Animal Crossing shipment being over 4m in Japan when financial results are announced.
The question is how much over 4M.
ACNH will need at least 4.5M to have a chance to beat Smash and Pokemon Sw/Sh by March 31st.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020

Yes it'll be easily over 4mil due to the time xtra week and digital will be high. It could even be as close to 4.5mil imo

Also I've been a lurker here for years and wanted to say thank you for your contribution:)

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Amazing numbers for AC and Switch. Now wondering what other franchises are left to break records? Metroid, DK?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I know that some games are more popular in certain regions than others, but this made me think, what is actually an either-or approach when it comes to game design? Is it about any specific game mechanics? And is there anything specific (insert example game here) could do differently design wise to get away from that approach and therefor be more successful worlwide?

I dont see quite how this relates to my post - but yeah AC been around for a while.
I'm guessing he means that Animal Crossing isnt specifically a portable franchise in a response when you said "big portable franchises".

On that subject, i think it was a fair point to speculate how the increased prices would affect the sales, but it can be kinda funny looking back on that subject even so (i guess thats what you mean?) :) I guess that the price increase didnt really affect things that much because it was still within a reasonable price range, and people were/are used to paying $60 for games (it might have different if the price went from $60 to $80 instead of $40 to $60). And that people see the value in the games even at a $40 and $60 pricetag of course =)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason interest for Splatoon 2 is increasing since holidays despite events being cancelled.