• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game has a consistent reasonable visibility (most of it's video's are over 100k views) and it's had it's fair share of air time in terms of directs. I doubt we're looking at a bomb here and I don't the game has particularly high sales expectations in the first place

I didn't say it's gonna underperform, it's just amusing because of the Kimishima the assman narrative.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah definitely. I think Nintendo position Switch as an "alternative console". Nintendo will avoid competing with the other boxes directly and try to offer unique experience.
If Bandai Namco passes the stage of late ports and joins other companies to simultaneous releases next year, the competition can't become more direct between Nintendo and Sony in Japan.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
When Crash Trilogy went unnoticed in Japan and those were million sellers on PS1, how many would care for Spyro.

You are correct but if I remember correctly it tripled it's first week sales and finished around 75k? That's not too bad. I wonder if a Switch release could push it to over 100k.

Given those sales though yeah, Spyro is going to do poor.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aters that's a strange thing to say about the future market leader.
Well, in his defence, I think he means Switch won't get the huge AAA third parties and that isn't that big a loss for the JP market if they get actual japanese games with selling potential.

What are the expectations for Spiderman this summer?
No idea about numbers. Spider-man is like the only really popular american superhero in Japan, but he had no previous games like this. Going by how well western games are doing (GTAV re-release got like 300K+ already) + Spidey's popularity I think it will sell very well.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That hurts my heart. The games were really good :(

I suppose Reignited isn't really something to keep an eye on then.
The japanese version of the first game was not good at all, they changed the way the game is played for fear of the japanese ''not getting it''.

• Spyro is overall far slower, his walking speed receiving a notable decrease, and his charge velocity being roughly on par with his walking speed in international releases. This change was also present in the sequel's Japanese version. Strangely, a Director's Cut of the Japanese release included a bonus feature if one completed the game at 120%, which would restore Spyro's speed to its international variation after holding down L1 & R1 on the file select screen. A little notice informing the player about this feature also exists.
  • The camera is zoomed out considerably when compared to the US and European versions of the game, keeping a fixed perspective as opposed to following Spyro directly. In addition to this, the camera fades in and out when Spyro walks into a whirlwind, when he falls down a hole the camera isn't directed towards, and when he enters a level, replacing the "U-turn" animation which pertains to the last action. However, the camera in the "Flight" levels remains identical to the other versions.
Just a bad idea all around.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The japanese version of the first game was not good at all, they changed the way the game is played for fear of the japanese ''not getting it''.

Just a bad idea all around.

Jesus christ that's awful. He's so fucking slow. And that would make the game harder as clearing a lot of jump requires you to build up speed. Man I wish I didn't see that. As a side note, hearing Spyro talk in Japanese totally like, makes this a bit better.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ that's awful. He's so fucking slow. And that would make the game harder as clearing a lot of jump requires you to build up speed. Man I wish I didn't see that. As a side note, hearing Spyro talk in Japanese totally like, makes this a bit better.
Yep, the only reason I personally tried this version is because Shin-chan herself, Akiko Yajima, voices Spyro in this. But when I saw what they did to the game I turned off immediately. It really does make the game much harder to play compared to the us version.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, the only reason I personally tried this version is because Shin-chan herself, Akiko Yajima, voices Spyro in this. But when I saw what they did to the game I turned off immediately. It really does make the game much harder to play compared to the us version.

That's a shame. Always forget all the crazy localization shit that happened back in the day. The game really holds up emulated as a side note. Art really does a lot for games.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

Out of interest, do you know if that's the version of the game that's up on JP PSN? I love the original trilogy and had no idea about this, kinda want to try it for curiosity's sake.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. Always forget all the crazy localization shit that happened back in the day. The game really holds up emulated as a side note. Art really does a lot for games.
Very much agree, the artstyle is just gorgeous.

Out of interest, do you know if that's the version of the game that's up on JP PSN? I love the original trilogy and had no idea about this, kinda want to try it for curiosity's sake.
Pretty sure that is the case.

Edit: https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP9000-NPJI00062_00-0000000000000001

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Why is Valkyria Chronicles 4 doing so poorly? I've read nothing but good things about it. If any, a little too similar to VC1 and with a lot of day one dlc, but that shouldn't affect sales this badly

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aters that's a strange thing to say about the future market leader.
Globally I don't think Switch will ever be the market leader. Even if it is, it will be like Wii which did not directly compete with other boxes. Look at the top 20 best selling games on PS4 and XONE, how can you directly compete with them if none of these games is on Switch?

And Nintendo definitely are thinking about the global audience when they decide the strategy for Switch.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that NIS thread went to shit. I was thinking of commenting on it (I'd not commented on it last night iirc) but...no point lol.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was just going to say the same thing plenty said last night, so by this point a throwaway comment so perhaps there was never a point lol but still that doesn't usually stop me :P.

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Valkyria Chronicles 4 doing so poorly? I've read nothing but good things about it. If any, a little too similar to VC1 and with a lot of day one dlc, but that shouldn't affect sales this badly

I mean, it's a very direct sequel to a niche game and it's on a platform with so so software sales.

SRPGs only do well if you can romance your waifu in the game and that's not in VC4.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Recycle many things but still look low budget as fuck.

Gameplay was fun tho, and that's it, no extra value, nothing appealing.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. It sold average because that's the usual drop for almost every japanese IP currently on PS4, even more coming from portable entries.

People really overestimate how much sim elements matter to sales.

Oct 27, 2017
No. It sold average because that's the usual drop for almost every japanese IP currently on PS4, even more coming from portable entries.

People really overestimate how much sim elements matter to sales.
Yea they seem to forget that Fire Emblem Awakening sold on stuff like Casual mode ,more appealing graphics ,better marketing ,Good looking cutscenes ,appealing art style to the mainstream and ofc fun to play.
sticking romance elements isnt gonna make a game suddenly sell and i doubt that the romance stuff was the only reason what Awakening became a breakout hit. It was a culmination of differnt things (Oh and the exposure the series got from Smash bros)

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well and taking a deliberate ax to story-telling, characterization, and world-building to make the games less "boring."

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 15, 2018 (Apr 9 - Apr 15)

new releases

{2018.04.10}
[PS4] Owlboy _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (D-Pad Studios) (¥2.500)

{2018.04.12}
[NSW] The Snack World: TreJarers Gold <RPG> (Level 5) (¥5.980)
[NSW] The Snack World: TreJarers Gold (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Level 5) (¥5.980)
[NSW] Asdivine Hearts _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Kemco) (¥1.000)
[NSW] Drone Fight _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (SilverStar) (¥462)
[NSW] ACA NeoGeo: Gururin _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Hamster) (¥762)
[PS4] Death end re;Quest # <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥7.200)
[PS4] Death end re;Quest (Death End Box) <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥10.200)
[PS4] Death end re;Quest (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥6.400)
[PS4] Cities: Skylines - PlayStation 4 Edition <SLG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.400)
[PS4] Cities: Skylines - PlayStation 4 Edition (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <SLG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥5.400)
[PS4] Cities: Skylines - PlayStation 4 Edition (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Premium Edition) <SLG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥10.000)
__

YSO predictions

01. [NSW] The Snack World: TreJarers Gold < 35k (average 30k) [week 1]
02. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies < 30k (average 25k) [week 5]
03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 < 20k [week 39]
03. [PS4] Death end re;Quest < 20k [week 1]

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
Globally I don't think Switch will ever be the market leader. Even if it is, it will be like Wii which did not directly compete with other boxes. Look at the top 20 best selling games on PS4 and XONE, how can you directly compete with them if none of these games is on Switch?

And Nintendo definitely are thinking about the global audience when they decide the strategy for Switch.

I don't think that the Switch will be degraded like the Wii. There is an incentive to buy inferior Switch ports because it's a handheld. That was never the case with the Wii. If there will be more simultaneous releases there will be a fight for the consumers. I think the PS4 is save in matters of big AAA multiplayer games. But smaller AA single player games may be very popular on the switch. We saw and see this in japan. The Vita still gets many buyers when there is a simultaneous PS4 release. And the Switch is much more powerful than a Vita. The difference between a Switch and a PS4 version will be much smaller than the difference between a Vita and a PS4 version.

Example:
01./00. [PS4] Super Robot Wars X # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.03.29} (¥8.600) - 89.259 / NEW
03./00. [PSV] Super Robot Wars X # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.03.29} (¥7.600) - 54.042 / NEW

Last edited:

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading some comments about VC4, i don't understand the doom and gloom about it.

VC2 and VC3 on a far more popular system sold 150k (170k if we count the budget versions and rereleases). Considering that VC4 will have an LTD of 100k when it's all said and done on PS4, this number could be defined as underperforming but definitely not ''poor'' or ''bomb'' as some people say. Also, the game has a NSW version already announced which definitely impacted the sales considering most entries of the franchise were on portables. I have no doubt that the NSW version will do very well when it will be released, so it's quite possible that in the end, the game (PS4+NSW combined) will match and maybe even sell more than VC2 and VC3. This will be a good result for a franchise that had it's last mainline entry released in 2011 and the last entry in general had a terrible reception (Valkyria Revolution which in the end even only the PS4 version of VC4 will outsell it).

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading some comments about VC4, i don't understand the doom and gloom about it.

VC2 and VC3 on a far more popular system sold 150k (170k if we count the budget versions and rereleases). Considering that VC4 will have an LTD of 100k when it's all said and done on PS4, this number could be defined as underperforming but definitely not ''poor'' or ''bomb'' as some people say. Also, the game has a NSW version already announced which definitely impacted the sales considering most entries of the franchise were on portables. I have no doubt that the NSW version will do very well when it will be released, so it's quite possible that in the end, the game (PS4+NSW combined) will match and maybe even sell more than VC2 and VC3. This will be a good result for a franchise that had it's last mainline entry released in 2011 and the last entry in general had a terrible reception (Valkyria Revolution which in the end even only the PS4 version of VC4 will outsell it).
I don't think neither VC4 nor Ni no Kuni II bombed. I feel like these drops make sense when you look at the general PS4 sales in comparison to systems like the PSP, but I don't know if the NSW version will sell that much to get over VC2/3.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that the Switch will be degraded like the Wii. There is an incentive to buy inferior Switch ports because it's a handheld. That was never the case with the Wii. If there will be more simultaneous releases there will be a fight for the consumers. I think the PS4 is save in matters of big AAA multiplayer games. But smaller AA single player games may be very popular on the switch. We saw and see this in japan. The Vita still gets many buyers when there is a simultaneous PS4 release. And the Switch is much more powerful than a Vita. The difference between a Switch and a PS4 version will be much smaller than the difference between a Vita and a PS4 version.

Globally, who cares about SRW? I'm talking about the top 20 best selling games on PS4 and XONE, games that are sold to the majority of the install base. You want to compete with those boxes, these are the games you need to have, or at least the majority of them. In this year it means you need to have MHW, FC5, RDR2, CoD, BF5, KH3, FIFA19, 2K19, Medden, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, whatever next big Bethesda RPG is and whatever Ubisoft holiday game is. If you can't, there's no direct competition.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Globally, who cares about SRW? I'm talking about the top 20 best selling games on PS4 and XONE, games that are sold to the majority of the install base. You want to compete with those boxes, these are the games you need to have, or at least the majority of them. In this year it means you need to have MHW, FC5, RDR2, CoD, BF5, KH3, FIFA19, 2K19, Medden, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, whatever next big Bethesda RPG is and whatever Ubisoft holiday game is. If you can't, there's no direct competition.
I feel sports games and long term games as service are the sorts of titles the switch potetially manage to compete on on (stuff like fortnite overwatch etc), These are the sorts of games that will last for many years have large player bases and thus don't really require top of the line hardware since lower specs machines of PC are exactly who they target and the scope yearly of sports game doesn't exactly require dramatic expansion the way a lot of modern yearly AAA games are. Everything else is a wash as the preparation for next gen graphical etc arms race has already begun.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

Probably a combination of most Non MH software on PS4 doing not that great, and there being a portable version of the game on the horizon.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017

First off all i don't think all the games you mentioned fall in the same category.

The switch for example could still get lead platform for Monster Hunter or even get exclusive Monster Hunter games.

Secondly there already are very succesful third party games on the Switch like Rocket League.

If the Switch will draw attention to many smaller titles there may be lucky successes like Rocket League or Minecraft with Switch beeing lead platform.

Thridly as there are fewer and fewer AAA releases every year and mostly beeing iterations and save follow ups its dangerous when the creative games are preferredly played and released on the competition.

I can also see traditional RPGs beeing preferredly played on Switch.

The Switch will never cut the head from the PS4 but it may cut off the tail like smartphones cut off the tail from handhelds. It's because the big games draw all the attention and sales on PS4 Nintendo may have the chance to establish new ties or regain support from lost franchises. For example i can see the next Tales of game releasing on Switch and regaining good sales.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I can also see traditional RPGs beeing preferredly played on Switch.

This so much.

Imo anybody who plays many RPGs that are 100+ hours long should prefer the ease of grinding in bed over prettier graphics.

If there is any RPG released, i will want to play it on my switch, simply so i can do the grinding in bed, or on my train commute, or on flights, or the million other places when i am not close to my PC/TV.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Seems weird. You can compete using exclusive games, which is what Nintendo does. Gamers have limited time and income, so the Switch is competing with the other two for consumer time and money.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Switch will never cut the head from the PS4 but it may cut off the tail like smartphones cut off the tail from handhelds.

Mobile didn't just cut the tail of handhelds, it beat them to the ground and stepped on them. Why do you think there's no more pure handheld?

Did Switch do the same thing to PS4? Last I heard PS4 sells were at record high last year and this year looks even more promising. If Nintendo actually intended to "cut the tail of PS4", I'd say they did a pretty terrible job.

Seems weird. You can compete using exclusive games, which is what Nintendo does. Gamers have limited time and income, so the Switch is competing with the other two for consumer time and money.
No that's not a direct competition. You don't set Zelda to compete with RDR, or Splatoon to compete with Battlefield. They target different audience to begin with. And I'd venture a guess that globally most Switch owners also have other current gen gaming devices.

Remember how well Wii sold? It didn't stop X360 from becoming a huge success. PS3 was bad not because of Wii, but because of itself. When PS3 started to drop price and get more game, the sales picked up. Similarly 3DS didn't stop PS4 or XONE from selling.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mobile didn't just cut the tail of handhelds, it beat them to the ground and stepped on them. Why do you think there's no more pure handheld?

Did Switch do the same thing to PS4? Last I heard PS4 sells were at record high last year and this year looks even more promising. If Nintendo actually intended to "cut the tail of PS4", I'd say they did a pretty terrible job.

Because the Wii U flopped. I don't know why people try to make this argument. If Wii U was a success we'd have a pure handheld.

Hell if Switch bombed we would have a pure handheld.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

Selling 72 million units means getting beaten to the ground and stepped on ?

If so, Vita and XB1 would probably love to get beaten and stepped on.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Really impressed with the weekly sales of the Switch. With the really low level releases except from Kirby, I expected a drop in sales but its bloody damn consistent.

When should we expect the next sales boom on the Switch?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Selling 72 million units means getting beaten to the ground and stepped on ?

If so, Vita and XB1 would probably love to get beaten and stepped on.
It was cut to half from DS, and Nintendo have completely ditched the concept of pure handheld. You look at Switch you'd see nothing inherited from 3DS. And who said Vita and XB1 were success?

Because the Wii U flopped. I don't know why people try to make this argument. If Wii U was a success we'd have a pure handheld.

Hell if Switch bombed we would have a pure handheld.
If Switch bombed Nintendo would try to make some new weird thing like Wii. It would never be a pure handheld like 3DS-2. Handhelds are on a decline and they only go down from 3DS/Vita, not up.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It's a largely unchanged sequel to a game from ten years ago. The market has changed since then, and Valk wasn't really knocking it out of the park the first time around anyway.

If you want more specifics:
- Valkyria 1 releases about a year after the PS4 did in Japan, being one of its first major titles, whereas there are tons of larger PS4 games already.
- The market was just coming off of the PS2, a wildly successful home console, so there were still lots of heavy home console gamers around even if they weren't picking up the PS3 very quickly.
- Valkyria had astonishing graphics in 2008. The new game... looks very similar to the 2008 title.
- While mobile games existed, they were primarily tap/push button to win type auto games instead of today's lavish and much deeper productions. You actually do have to compete with the quality of what people are getting for free now. If they would rather get their strategy fix from The Alchemist's Code, that's a problem for you.
- Due to the 10 year time gap and the average Japanese lifestyle, a large portion of the people who played Valk 1 are probably mobile only gamers by now, or at least overwhelmingly mobile, so the above point is a double whammy.
- Sega is a much weaker publisher now than they were in Valk 1's time.
- Japanese gamers seem much more partial to multiplayer functionality than they used to be, even on consoles.

Essentially the game was a much better positioned product ten years ago on most every front, and now it's really not, despite delivering what the audience would have expected in a sequel released around 2010-2011.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
So Should I expect Kirby to have around 35k in its upcoming week? I'm kinda curious what it's baseline will be. Will it be between Zelda and Mario? ARMS numbers? Who knows?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It was cut to half from DS, and Nintendo have completely ditched the concept of pure handheld. You look at Switch you'd see nothing inherited from 3DS. And who said Vita and XB1 were success?
Like has been said they ditched the console (you the platform that dropped userbase to under 20% of it's predcessor). The reason the console side was ditched was because thy were unable to maintain development pipelines for 2 different platforms at reasonable rates especially because the wii u crashed and burned.