• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How what things work?

I guess nobody actually know how this would works since nobody has access to the contract. I would assume Sony has the deal on exclusive to certain extend for this game, but not the point to stop Capcom from doing anything to make this available on Switch, eg - MHW portable , we asset re-done and additional/adjusted content.

We can only guess, since Capom doesn't make it clear for the future of the series on Switch. I mean even with the mainline series, nobody knows how is it going to work , seeing the explosion of popularity on MHW game like this. It would make more sense for Capcom to continue this 'World' series on the console, while doing other thing on Switch.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe its just me, but it also seemed like the game took forever to actually release. Like there was quite a bit of hype after its reveal, and the first couple times it was shown, but it really felt like the delays killed some the interest with a number of great japanese games coming out in the interim.
I think it has a lot to do with the production value too. When it was first announced at PSX 2015, it was sold as this gorgeous cutscene heavy game with fantastic art direction and voice acting. Then it took 2 and a half years to actually come out and the end result wasn't that good looking. It's still kind of pretty, the cutscenes are great and the character design is incredible, but playing the game it's actually way closer to a 3DS Level 5 game than I thought. I don't really know how to explain it, but it doesn't feel grand or spectacular.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has a lot to do with the production value too. When it was first announced at PSX 2015, it was sold as this gorgeous cutscene heavy game with fantastic art direction and voice acting. Then it took 2 and a half years to actually come out and the end result wasn't that good looking. It's still kind of pretty, the cutscenes are great and the character design is incredible, but playing the game it's actually way closer to a 3DS Level 5 game than I thought. I don't really know how to explain it, but it doesn't feel grand or spectacular.

Yeah I havent played the game, but that's the impression I get. Seeing the overworld for the first time was a bitter pill on the visual side.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW, what are the expectations for Inazuma Eleven Ares? I googled the numbers for the franchise, and the top performers on DS did over a million in Japan. Do you guys think Ares can at least split the difference between 1M and the next largest performer at 460k, so something like 700k for Ares? It's multiplatform between Switch and PS4, and also on mobile, so it should do fine, right?

700k for Ares seems like incredibly high for me. I think 500k max.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, I included mobile in the tally for Inazuma, but we're not getting numbers for that, and it's more likely to take away than to add to the numbers. Something like 400k seems more reasonable for Ares, then, imo.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Apparently Yokai Watch 4 will release in Japan in 2018 as a Switch exclusive.

Does Yokai Watch still carry some weight in Japan ?
Irc the franchise has been on a downturn, but it should still sell quite well right ?
Especially since it would be the first HD game in the series right ?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Apparently Yokai Watch 4 will release in Japan in 2018 as a Switch exclusive.

Does Yokai Watch still carry some weight in Japan ?
Irc the franchise has been on a downturn, but it should still sell quite well right ?
Especially since it would be the first HD game in the series right ?
Yokai Watch 3 still sold 1.5M, so yeah, it's still a very big deal. YW4 should sell at the very least 1M, but maybe it can reverse the decline and sell more than 1.5M lifetime. The move to HD and the cross promotion with the anime should give it potential.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Yokai Watch 3 still sold 1.5M, so yeah, it's still a very big deal. YW4 should sell at the very least 1M, but maybe it can reverse the decline and sell more than 1.5M lifetime. The move to HD and the cross promotion with the anime should give it potential.

Thanks for the answer.

Was the 1.5 million just Japan or Worldwide ?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's worth noting YW4 is a bigger 3rd party announcement than anything PS4 had aligned. It's also bigger than any upcoming PS4 games.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It's worth noting YW4 is a bigger 3rd party announcement than anything PS4 had aligned. It's also bigger than any upcoming PS4 games.

Yes- obviously nothing is a sure thing until it releases, but going by historical numbers I would say YW4 and Taiko Drum both have the potential to outsell every PS4 game that released during the first 2 years and 10 months (FFXV launched in in November 2016 and reached a million; prior to that MGSV was the best selling PS4 game at 497K).

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, and it's amusing to see how Yokai Watch went from this milked series people made fun of here to the game that is saving the japanese 3rd party support for the Switch.

I'm not criticizing anyone, I feel the same way. It's just funny how the table can turn with one good decision (making the next Yokai Watch game for Switch and relatively soon).

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely, and it's amusing to see how Yokai Watch went from this milked series people made fun of here to the game that is saving the japanese 3rd party support for the Switch.

I'm not criticizing anyone, I feel the same way. It's just funny how the table can turn with one good decision (making the next Yokai Watch game for Switch and relatively soon).
I think it's a psychological thing, at least for me. Anything that comes out on Switch feels "fresh" to me, so while Yokai was indeed milked on 3DS, on Switch it still feels fresh.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Both are true, I'm still expecting a decline here, how much remains to be seen.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Well, lagging behind on old hardware is one of the things we often criticise Japanese devs for, so them making a clean cut and going with current hardware only is a nice change tbh. Additionally, having a significantly upgraded entry on the next gen hardware should help in refreshing thr franchise, so yeah, I truly think they can go up again.

I am one of the people who think that the milking argument is somewhat overdone: true, it has been milked very hard, but I think the YW2 level was so big that it probably was an explosion of popularity that wasn't going to last, and furthermore YW3 sold more than YW1, so it's not like it's dipped below that level. As such, I feel I'm more positive than many here about the franchise and I am not anticipating continuous drops for YW4. I could be wrong, though.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The last game on 3DS did below 300k.

Given how less popular Inazuma is right now comparing to a few years ago, Ares will be lucky to reach 200k across both Switch and PS4, unless Level-5 is good enough to advertise the game and play on nostalgia.
We'll see what the new anime and other stuff they are pushing for the franchise does for popularity.

Wishy-Washy

Nov 26, 2017
I personally think that Yokai Watch 4 will actually increase the decrease in sales not improve its sales, I think the whole Shadow Side thing Level-5 is doing to won't work to get older people into the series, that they obviously hope it will, but it will instead push away the younger fans of the series that probably make up a good chunk of the audience, though I could always be wrong and it won't push away the younger fans and will help get older people into it.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
We'll see what the new anime and other stuff they are pushing for the franchise does for popularity.

I'm skeptical that an anime reboot can inject new life in a relatively old franchise, not many years after it was concluded. Why should people come back to the franchise when it doesn't change much? They wouldn't have left to begin with. Inazuma Eleven grew, peaked and declined in the span of 5-6 years, then it disappeared for a few years. It was clear from the sales of the compilation that fans don't have much nostalgia. Inazuma (and Layton by the way) was a product of its time---Level-5 should chase the same philosophy with new products instead of hoping old franchises will go big again in such a short span of time.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The last game on 3DS did below 300k.

Given how less popular Inazuma is right now comparing to a few years ago, Ares will be lucky to reach 200k across both Switch and PS4, unless Level-5 is good enough to advertise the game and play on nostalgia.

The series has had a bit of a rest, I think it could help it at this point rather than hurt it. A graphical upgrade from DS and 3DS along with built in 2-player could be additional selling points.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The series has had a bit of a rest, I think it could help it at this point rather than hurt it. A graphical upgrade from DS and 3DS along with built in 2-player could be additional selling points.

Inazuma Eleven has multiplayer as far as I remember.

I just don't see the selling point of an Inazuma Eleven game in 2018 when the franchise had say everything before, with plenty of games, spin-offs and other media. The game will sell bad unless Level-5 is able to effectively target new kids or ride on nostalgia.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I just don't see the selling point of an Inazuma Eleven game in 2018 when the franchise had say everything before, with plenty of games, spin-offs and other media. The game will sell bad unless Level-5 is able to effectively target new kids or ride on nostalgia.
It's probably being revived because it has a bigger international appeal than most of their IPs and 2018 is a World Cup year.

Kriegshand

Oct 28, 2017
Why should people come back to the franchise when it doesn't change much?

This is true for 80% of all videogames and they still sell. Most of them are sequels and just try to improve some elements. So this is a non-argument. As many mentioned the game will be on much better hardware than ever before. Think of the Monster Hunter World threads. Nobody was happy because of gameplay changes. Most people got excited because the next Monster Hunter mainline game was going from 240p to HD-next generation graphics.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Or benefit from a good World Cup presence

Also the new Captain Tsubasa reboot (I know it's more akin to a remake) can only help the game

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Can you link to the twitter feed? I'd be interested to take a look myself.

There are several out there if you search for 'switch 在庫', however the one I follow is Switch入荷速報 @switch_new

The reason the Switch doesn't fluctuate much in sales and is hovering right around the high 40ks is because of incomplete stock supply, if it were well supplied everywhere I would imagine the sales would fluctuate a bit more based on the software released. At least that's what I think. Has anyone done a comparison between how hardware and software sells depending on the availability of the hardware? Perhaps they have a better idea.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I am actually a bit disappointed that Kuni 2 didn't do too well... seemed like a good game from what I've played of it. And seems like it would be pretty popular in Japan. What happened in Japan?

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Wii Sports Switch could do well, but I think Nintendogs Switch and Wii Fit Switch will never happen.

Kid Icarus Uprising 2 is never going to happen, but I could see a Kid Icarus game modeled after Kingdom Hearts doing extremely well... Then again, Nintendo doesn't really have a developer to make that game.

I don't know if 2D Zeldas will sell any Switches considering how much BotW has sold and that BotW2 is probably in development and considering that ALBW did really mediocre numbers.

I don't know if all of 2D Mario, Mario Maker 2, SMO, and SMO2 would sell Switches as at some point there's strongly diminishing returns (though Mario Maker is pretty different from 2D Mario in that while you can make great stuff out of it, it's mostly a meme game in terms of what the audience wants).

A Link Between Worlds sold 2.51 million worldwide in less than six months. I wouldn't call that mediocre. It might seem that way if you treat 2.51 million as a lifetime sales number, but the game didn't stop selling after 4-5 months.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only way DQ11 is seens as success for SE in the west is quite simple. It would need to at least double DQ9 number in the west as expanding DQ brand even further had been their goal. If they are doing less or just the same number as DQ9, it is a failure i think.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I am actually a bit disappointed that Kuni 2 didn't do too well... seemed like a good game from what I've played of it. And seems like it would be pretty popular in Japan. What happened in Japan?

This is a hard market for a non-portable game to thrive in. You see alot more PS4 games underperforming than over performing.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
The only way DQ11 is seens as success for SE in the west is quite simple. It would need to at least double DQ9 number in the west as expanding DQ brand even further had been their goal. If they are doing less or just the same number as DQ9, it is a failure i think.

I think selling on the same level as Dragon Quest IX would be a middling result, not necessarily a failure.

But yeah, for Dragon Quest XI to really be considered an outright success in the West, it has to show meaningful growth for the series. That's probably something approaching two million. Unfortunately, I don't know how confident I am about that without the Switch version. I sure hope it can surpass expectations and get there though.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I personally think that Yokai Watch 4 will actually increase the decrease in sales not improve its sales, I think the whole Shadow Side thing Level-5 is doing to won't work to get older people into the series, that they obviously hope it will, but it will instead push away the younger fans of the series that probably make up a good chunk of the audience, though I could always be wrong and it won't push away the younger fans and will help get older people into it.

Personally I'm in agreeance with you. Was a kids franchise first and foremost. Trying to age it up seems misguided. Like giving us Legend of Korra when we all woulda fucked with more Last Airbender vibes

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think selling on the same level as Dragon Quest IX would be a middling result, not necessarily a failure.

But yeah, for Dragon Quest XI to really be considered an outright success in the West, it has to show meaningful growth for the series. That's probably something approaching two million. Unfortunately, I don't know how confident I am about that without the Switch version. I sure hope it can surpass expectations and get there though.

I would agree in some aspect there however the statement on wanting to expand further DQ in the west means they had bigger expectations vs older DQ release. So if it only do the same as the previous release, i can only see it as failure as it failed to reach their objectives.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see the game do 2 million. It won't have much WOM being in a really crowded month, won't have the wow factor something like Nier had, won't translate well on video, it's not very streamable (and people will stream Spider Man anyway). Not even sure it'll have necessarily really good reviews (low 80's probably). Judging from recent trends I don't see it performing too well on Steam either.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yo-Kai Watch didn't bomb at the beginning. It had a soft start but still had legs during the first months. Before anime started, the game had already sold 300k units.

Yo-Kai Watch 2 is selling well in Europe so Nintendo might still want to fill 3DS lineup with 3's localization.
I agree. I think you could kind of tell from the last direct that Nintendo was looking for some 3ds games they could develop in quick fashion (Mario & Luigi, captain toad, Luigi mansion) given the ongoing success of the 3ds. Yo Kai watch 3 seems to fit the bill. Nintendo published the past entries outside of Japan so I could see it happening. Unless L5 is worried about the franchise fatigue and doesn't want to take away from the switch game

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
The latest issue of MCV featured a lengthy interview with NIS America president Takuro Yamashita. Yamashita spoke about SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy, the opportunities on Switch, and sales of Disgaea 5 Complete on the west.

One part of the interview in particular touched on SNK Heroines, and how Nintendo had requested to work with SNK on an exclusive basis. Yamashita also mentioned that physical copies will only be offered on Switch, with Nintendo buying many units and acting as a distributor.

Yamashita has now issued a statement to clarify the situation. The main point here is that the exclusive plan for Switch "was originally decided by NIS America, and only later among discussions with influential SNK people did we decide the best option moving forward would be to have as much exposure as possible."

The full statement is as follows:

"I must extend my most heartfelt apology to SNK and Sony Interactive Entertainment. The truth is that the Nintendo Switch exclusive plan was originally decided by NIS America, and only later among discussions with influential SNK people did we decide the best option moving forward would be to have as much exposure as possible. This is why that in the end, we are bringing the PS4 version of SNK Heroines to the market, and even supported this version at the NISA Press Event and in the press meetings in February and March.

In discussing matters with MCV, I thought that some insider information would make them interested in the overall conversation, and such lip service did not stand on the side of truth.

Once again, I apologize to SNK and Sony if it made them seem negative towards the PS4 platform in any way, and stress that the original goal of a "Nintendo Switch exclusive" version of SNK Heroines came from NISA."

Switch owners will still be able to purchase SNK Heroines physically as originally planned. It seems that the PlayStation 4 version will only have a boxed copy with the Diamond Dream Edition on the NIS America store.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nis-...-heroines-and-switch-exclusive-plan-comments/

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Omg, omg

DabM9YeUQAI9cT6.jpg

https://twitter.com/TreasureCoLtd/status/983702861950275584

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO's Ranking pre-orders, 2018 (April 02 - April 08)

company06.jpg

~ 1.200 stores

About ranking:
- N is the title that was not ranked in within last ranking.
- R = return
- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
- The ranking of the title is ranking by the total number including other models and bonus version.
- Hardware order of multi titles is in order of hardware release date.

01/01 [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 - April 26
01/01 [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 - April 26
02/02 [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy - Con 01: Variety Kit - April 20
02/02 [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy - Con 02: Robot Kit - April 20
03/03 [PS4] God of War - April 20
04/05 [NSW] Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - May 03
05/04 [PS4] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - May 24
05/04 [PS4] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - May 24
05/04 [PSV] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - May 24
05/04 [PSV] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - May 24
06/07 [PS4] Fate / EXTELLA LINK - June 07
06/07 [PSV] Fate / EXTELLA LINK - June 07
07/08 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace - June 22
08/09 [PS4] New Gundam Breaker - June 21
09/10 [NSW] DARK SOULS REMASTERED - May 24
09/10 [PS4] DARK SOULS REMASTERED - May 24
10/12 [PS4] Utawarerumono: A Lullaby For Those Who Are Scattered - April 26
10/12 [PSV] Utawarerumono: A Lullaby For Those Who Are Scattered - April 26
11/13 [NSW] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - April 26
12/14 [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II: Kai - April 26
13/16 [NSW] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy - April 26
14/17 [NSW] Cube Creator X - April 26
15/18 [PS4] METAL MAX Xeno - April 19
15/18 [PSV] METAL MAX Xeno - April 19
16/19 [3DS] The Dead Heat Breakers - April 26
17/20 [NSW] Octopath Traveler - July 13
18/21 [PS4] The Crew 2 - June 29
19/22 [PS4] The Caligula Effect: Overdose - May 17
20/23 [PS4] Detroit: Become Human - May 25
21/24 [NSW] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - June 08
21/24 [3DS] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - June 08
22/25 [NSW] BLAZBLUE: CROSS TAG BATTLE - May 31
22/25 [PS4] BLAZBLUE: CROSS TAG BATTLE - May 31
23/26 [NSW] Rockman Classics Collection 1 + 2 - May 24
24/ R [PS4] Super Bomberman R - June 14
25/27 [PS4] Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares Wins - May 31
26/ R [PS4] Record of Grancrest War - June 14
27/28 [PS4] UNDERTALE - May 24
27/28 [PSV] UNDERTALE - May 24
28/29 [PS4] Life is Strange: Before the Storm - June 07
29/30 [NSW] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
29/30 [PS4] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
29/30 [PSV] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
30/ R [NSW] Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana - June 28
31/ R [NSW] Neo Atlas 1469 (guide book pack) - April 19
32/ R [NSW] Portal Knights - April 19
33/ R [PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 Plus - May 31
34/ R [NSW] GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology - June 14
34/ R [PS4] GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology - June 14
34/ R [PSV] GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology - June 14
35/ R [NSW] The Liar Princess and Blind Prince - May 31
35/ R [PS4] The Liar Princess and Blind Prince - May 31
35/ R [PSV] The Liar Princess and Blind Prince - May 31
36/ N [NSW] Little Nightmares - June 07
36/ N [PS4] Little Nightmares - June 07
37/ N [PS4] Senran Kagura PEACH BEACH SPLASH SUNSHINE EDITION - July 26
38/ N [NSW] Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou - July 26

39/ R [NSW] Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition - May 31
39/ R [PS4] Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition - May 31

PS4: 25
NSW: 21 (the best switch games score)
PSV: 10
3DS: 2

- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
- 06/05 [NSW] The Snack World: Trejarers Gold - April 12
- 11/10 [PS4] Cities: Skyline PlayStation 4 Edition - April 12
- 15/14 [PS4] Death end re;Quest - April 12

GEO's Ranking pre-orders, 2018 (March 26 - April 01)

https://www.resetera.com/posts/6284966/

Last edited:

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France

You don't need to double the sales from DQIX to expand the franchise, I don't even picture what are the justifications for it and asking the game to sell something like 10 millions to not be a failure is baseless.

6 millions would already make it the best sold title in the entire serie and without an over reliance on just one market or one platform. Like Capcom, SE estimations are through the roof and they like to dream, but I can't see how "just" 6 millions WW would make the game a failure, it would actually be great.