• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're underestimating Taiko no Tatsujin.

The numbers are worst case scenario for 2018 as far as I'm concerned. I think Taiko, Inazuma, Minecraft all have the needed appeal to sell well above 500K by the end of 2018, especially if Pokemon comes out and Labo is a smash hit that gets a lot of kids to upgrade from the 3DS.

Thanks for the data compilation. I think those Switch games you listed will have no problem selling over 300k. IMO, Yokai Watch 4 is definitely selling 1m+, and Octopath Traveler will surprise people with very strong sales.

YW4 has the potential to slow the decline of the franchise, depending on when it launches and how expansions are handled it's possible that it sells better than YW3.
In terms of Octopath I think it will do as well as Bravely Default did mainly because it's the type of game that is lacking and pretty much the only 3rd party game that is aimed at an older demographic for the busy summer months.

Isn't 500k for Builders 2 really optimistic?

That's almost double what the best selling SKU for the original release sold. Its not like Switch has the advantage of a larger install base yet.

I pretty much agree with Zedark DBQ2 will benefit of being on a more popular portable platform in Japan, it will benefit from multiplayer and it should also benefit from coming out after DQB, Minecraft, Labo on the Switch all games that give DQB2 the benefit of a large potential audience. In terms of larger install base I don't think it's an issue as Splatoon 2 has already shown. It took over two years for the 3DS to get it's first game to sell over 2M, Switch was able to do the same much faster despite selling 1M less hardware. In terms of software sales when factoring digital Switch is well ahead of 3DS software sales launch aligned despite lackluster physical 3rd Party support during it's first year.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
No really on topic, but this is where I mostly post at:

So John Harker implied we'll see more out of left field collaborations.
Starlink was announced last E3 with a Switch emphasis (not exclusive).
And we haven't seen it since or heard about it (again iirc).

maybe the switch version will be at E3 and reworked with star fox or F-zero addition.
Since the entire game seems to be based on cosmetic/not cosmetic parts

And Ubisoft is one of the more clear candidates for left field collaborations, especially that release soon.

Oct 26, 2017

Starlink was announced last E3 with a Switch emphasis (thought not exclusive iirc?).

maybe the switch version will be at E3 and reworked with star fox or F-zero addition.

And Ubisoft is one of the more clear candidates for left field collaborations, especially that release soon.

Also maybe Steep Switch was turned into a 1080 game. Would fit very well I think.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Starlink was announced last E3 with a Switch emphasis (not exclusive).

It's much more likely just a new collaboration ala Mario + Rabbids rather than rebooting a game that has been in development for years already.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It's much more likely just a new collaboration ala Mario + Rabbids rather than rebooting a game that has been in development for years already.
not rebooting. Since it isn't exclusive.

just adding nintendo IP stuff to the switch version like Rocket League but more.

So you don't need to use the toys for anything I just found saw. I guess you can digitally buy everything

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
With the Yo-Kai watch reveal we can officially say that Switch's year two line-up is potentially much stronger than 3DS's 2012.

In terms of major third party games we have:
- Octopath Traveler
- Yo-Kai Watch 4
- Taiko no Tatsujin
- Inazuma Eleven
- Dragon Quest Builders 2
- Minecraft Physical release
- Mario+Rabbids

I would say there is a tendency across these titles of targeting a younger demographic. All of these games have the potential of selling more than 200K. With Yo-Kai being a game that I think will end up selling more than DQM did back in 2012, DQB having the potential of selling more than 500K and the rest of the titles falling some where between 200-500K.
At this point, I'm wondering if Nintendo might be the weak link in the year. If Pokemon misses 2018, Smash alone can't compete with Animal Crossing and NSMB2. Nintendo's mid-tier support for the 3DS was very strong back then. It was stronger than what we've yet to see this year. (Labo is still a wildcard).

I wouldn't be so sure.

Inazuma Eleven went from 1m on DS to less than 500k on 3DS. Layton went to less than 700k on DS to 400k on 3DS.

Yo-kai Watch 3 sold originally 1.5m on 3DS. The Switch entry can settle around 700-800k units.
While it's certainly not a lock, I'd still put YW4 safely in the million+ range. The 3rd game did 1.5m. So 1 million still leaves notable room for decline.

Isn't 500k for Builders 2 really optimistic?

That's almost double what the best selling SKU for the original release sold. Its not like Switch has the advantage of a larger install base yet.
The Vita version sold 325k, PS4 sold 250k, and PS3 sold 116k. At the time the game released, Vita's install base was 4.7m and PS4's 2.4M. Switch already has an advantage on the PS4, will easily have an advantage on the Vita by the time game releases... and should DQB2 be a holiday release... it may even have an advantage on both systems combined. all things considered, 500k sounds about right to me.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I'm wondering if Nintendo might be the weak link in the year. If Pokemon misses 2018, Smash alone can't compete with Animal Crossing and NSMB2. Nintendo's mid-tier support for the 3DS was very strong back then. It was stronger than what we've yet to see this year. (Labo is still a wildcard).
pretty much depends on pokemon.

NSMB port is also very likely this year. Which would do several hundred thousand.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it can be both...there is no limit to what kind of cooperations they could be workin on.
Also MxR is a pretty big deal and not just another Collab...for a 3rdParty to use Mario in that extent is quite remarkable.

Looking forward to whats up next.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

You might be better off to wait until e3 - we dont know shit about Nintendos second half outside of Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem. There is also the Online subscription service launch. They will have enough content ready for the Holiday season....also the big 2017 games including Splatoon arent going to stop selling anytime soon.

When it comes to the japanese market there are many things you can worry about....Nintendos first party output for the Holiday season isnt one of them. "Smash alone" was never going to be a thing.

Edit:

When you wanna edit your post and instead DP...sry.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people saying a NSMB port is likely? That's one of the few Wii U games I would think they wouldn't bother porting, just make a new one or not even bother and just focus on Mario Maker.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people saying a NSMB port is likely? That's one of the few Wii U games I would think they wouldn't bother porting, just make a new one or not even bother and just focus on Mario Maker.
Even if thats about to happen...it never would be a simple port to begin with. We heard the same about Splatoon early on that it had to be a port or 1.5 because it looked similar to the first game.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

If I recall, Emily R used non-vague-language when saying Smash, South park, and NSMB would be this year before they announced.

given the other two, I'm putting nsmbu above pokemon on the happening scale for now.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
You might be better off to wait until e3 - we dont know shit about Nintendos second half outside of Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem. There is also the Online subscription service launch. They will have enough content ready for the Holiday season....also the big 2017 games including Splatoon arent going to stop selling anytime soon.

When it comes to the japanese market there are many things you can worry about....Nintendos first party output for the Holiday season isnt one of them. "Smash alone" was never going to be a thing.
Oh... definitely. I probably should have bolded that "yet" in my post. Still, it's just the natural advantage "hindsight" has over "expectations" in these types of discussions.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sw...osting-rules-in-op.16589/page-17#post-3702028
Emily later also said something like "that seems to be in the line of what i heard"

User has given correct info about switch (dark souls remastered) in the past. We also kind of know Bandai is doing MP4 - which was unconfirmed/only vaguely speculated when he posted this. The LinkdIn leak was later.

It's still possible it'll be NSMB collection/U+ or whatever, just like his smash bros deluxe will be a new game instead of a port - but that's where the NSMB rumour comes from.

Also, for what it's worth, the director of NSMB U and NSLuigiU (Masataka Takemoto) is a different one from the director of Super Mario Maker (Yosuke Oshino) - none of which have a game announced for Switch. I think the team of the former might be doing the port, while the later is making SMM 2 for 2019.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea what Starlink is even supposed to be. It looks weird.

If I recall, Emily R used non-vague-language when saying Smash, South park, and NSMB would be this year before they announced.

given the other two, I'm putting nsmbu above pokemon on the happening scale for now.

Emily didn't say anything about NSMB specifically, she simply said it would make sense based on what she heard (that 2018 is gonna be port heavy for Nintendo).

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2D Mario is way more likely to be a completely new game than Smash Bros, which will very likely reuse all the assets from WiiU/3DS.

I don't see a 2D Mario port having the potential to sell as much as a new entry could.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
2D Mario is way more likely to be a completely new game than Smash Bros, which will very likely reuse all the assets from WiiU/3DS.
I don't see a 2D Mario port having the potential to sell as much as a new entry could.
I like to believe Nintendo is done with the NSMB style for the next big 2D mario, but I can see them porting NSMB and the Luigi DLC + some new stuff (some online minigames) or even NSMB collection with all the NSMB games - this is also in line with what Nintendo has done before with their Mario games as far back as the SNES.
Call it NSMB All Stars for nostalgic power.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The Week of July 13 will be 10/10 switch titles for MC right ?

Or does Vita/PS4 have anything slated for that week that could beat the new stuff on Switch/ the evergreens ?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
A NSMB collection would just highlight how similar all those game are. At this point it'll just be one giant blob of levels and world maps. Still don't like the idea tbh. NSMB was getting old in 2012 and that was a new game, then Mario Maker made it even more useless, and then Mario Maker 3DS with its original levels buried it even further.

And it's not like the last 2D Mario game was so soon that they can't produce a new one in time. In theory they had plenty of time to come up with something new. This whole NSMB port thing seem really misguided and unlike current Nintendo.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sw...osting-rules-in-op.16589/page-17#post-3702028
Emily later also said something like "that seems to be in the line of what i heard"

User has given correct info about switch (dark souls remastered) in the past. We also kind of know Bandai is doing MP4 - which was unconfirmed/only vaguely speculated when he posted this. The LinkdIn leak was later.

It's still possible it'll be NSMB collection/U+ or whatever, just like his smash bros deluxe will be a new game instead of a port - but that's where the NSMB rumour comes from.

Also, for what it's worth, the director of NSMB U and NSLuigiU (Masataka Takemoto) is a different one from the director of Super Mario Maker (Yosuke Oshino) - none of which have a game announced for Switch. I think the team of the former might be doing the port, while the later is making SMM 2 for 2019.
Well he's seemingly already wrong on Smash, everything points to that being a new game.
NSMBU just does not seem like a game worth porting.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy you're talking about was also blatantly making up informations about Splatoon 2 once, so you really shouldn't trust him.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Animal Crossing isn't ruled out for a release in 2018, either: signs of an approaching announcement have started to pop up (Nintendo reworking AC website, 3DS and WiiU AC references removed), and Pokémon, too, has signs that it might come this year. If either one comes, then Nintendo themselves definitely won't be slacking:

Smash (~3M)
Pokémon/Animal Crossing (3M-5M)
Fire Emblem (500k+)
Labo (?)
Yoshi (~500k)
Kirby (~1M)
Mario Tennis (300k+)
(and some smaller projects like HW, DKTF, etc., although DKTF might do quite well imo)

Pokémon and Animal Crossing both are 3M+ franchises at worst, and Smash may do 3M as well (on 3DS it did 2.7M). Kirby will go past or come close to 1M, and Fire Emblem and Yoshi both could do over 500k. Mario Tennis should do at least 300k, and Labo is indeed a wildcard, but I think it will do very well for them as well. At that point, Nintendo's output cannot be faulted imo: it's a very strong lineup that rivals and probably exceeds the 3rd party output. The only complaint I would consider reasonable is that it's so damn lopsided towards the second half, especially considering all 3rd party big hitters release in the second half of the year as well.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Emily didn't say anything about NSMB specifically, she simply said it would make sense based on what she heard (that 2018 is gonna be port heavy for Nintendo).

if I remember correctly NSMBU was "leaked"by someone who had previously leaked other stuff correctly but also didn't want to prove to the mods that he/she is in position of knowing things.

this person basically said "oh I'll shup up now but just wait, it's definitely coming"

but I don't recall Emily commenting about that leak...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
A NSMB collection would just highlight how similar all those game are. At this point it'll just be one giant blob of levels and world maps. Still don't like the idea tbh. NSMB was getting old in 2012 and that was a new game, then Mario Maker made it even more useless, and then Mario Maker 3DS with its original levels buried it even further.

And it's not like the last 2D Mario game was so soon that they can't produce a new one in time. In theory they had plenty of time to come up with something new. This whole NSMB port thing seem really misguided and unlike current Nintendo.

Especially as their big second Holiday title. They can have a new Kirby or Yoshi game out in time but no new 2D Mario ? I doubt it.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I strongly think the next SMB game will not be a port of the Wii u version, and I slightly less strongly think it will actually be a new kind of title (I.e. not with the NEW branding) after Odyssey and Botw's success. NSMBU was one of the biggest Wii U games; a lot of people already know about or have played the game. However, unlike MarioKart and possibly Smash Bros, it doesn't have the same replay value that justifies a port. Where plenty of the 7+ million people who bought MK8 would happily double dip, I don't believe the owners of NSMBU would do that to the same extent; it's a game that you can complete. Mario kart and smash bros are different each time you play them, but NSMBU is the same linear game that doesn't really promote double dipping.

Also... idk why but I'm really pessimistic on the sales of project octopath traveler in Japan, but I'm fairly confident for its sales in the West. When was the last time a brand new IP entirely based on pixelated, retro looks & nostalgia sold 200k+ in Japan?

Bravely default had the advantage of being eye catching for new audiences and in itself was a very specific situation in which things went right. I don't know if POT can replicate that.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to see what was releasing in July on Switch this year because I felt there was strangely a lot of games releasing at once, and, well...
July 10th : Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy
July 13th : Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
July 13th : Project Octopath Traveler
July 13th : Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion
July 19th : Closed Nightmare
July 26th : Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1&2
July 26th : Disgaea Refine
July 26th : Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
July 26th : Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party

Even though most of them are going to bomb regardless of what happens, I sure hope for them that Dragon Quest Builders 2 doesn't suddenly decide to release that month.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wanted to see what was releasing in July on Switch this year because I felt there was strangely a lot of games releasing at once, and, well...
July 10th : Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy
July 13th : Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
July 13th : Project Octopath Traveler
July 13th : Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion
July 19th : Closed Nightmare
July 26th : Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1&2
July 26th : Disgaea Refine
July 26th : Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
July 26th : Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party

Even though most of them are going to bomb regardless of what happens, I sure hope for them that Dragon Quest Builders 2 doesn't suddenly decide to release that month.
And then Taiko, Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch are also slated for summer. It's gonna be a busy couple of months for sure, so hopefully DQB2 goes with a fall release date to provide some breathing room

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
actually... kids/parents will read the title 'OCTOpath traveller' on the black box art and think it must be the brand new splatoon octo expansion. 2 million confirmed

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You are underestimating a lot of titles, while overrating the 2012 lineup.

First of all Kirby released just a few weeks ago and is likely going to be the first 1M selling title from Nintendo in 2018.

Evergreen titles from 2017 will continue to sell, I anticipate that Splatoon 2 could potentially match it's 2017 sales in 2018;
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will continue to sell at a steady pace and I don't see a reason why it won't end up close to 1M for 2018(currently sitting at 314K);
Breath of the Wild continues to sell extremely well despite being an year old and usually not this leggy in Japan - it's possible it sells over 400K this year(currently at 167K).
Super Mario Odyssey is the only game that has slowed down considerably but it's possible for new DLC to be announced and for sales to pick up again;

You have Labo coming up in 9 days - it's the type of title that will continue to sell through-out the year and have larger results around Obon/December. Personally I've said that I expect additional Packs to be released later in the year and in Japan I think Labo line will easily clear 1M in 2018.

After Labo is released you have DKTF which is another 2D Platformer, Nintendo have worked on making the game a bit more accessible and it should perform much better than the Wii U version thanks to this, the local co-op and lastly the fact that it's on a popular portable. Personally I think DKTF can surpass 300K in 2018.

Mario Tennis Aces to me is going to be a game that outperforms prior Mario Tennis games, I think there are several factors for this including accessibility via motion controls and allowing two player local on the go. Overall majority of online or multiplayer titles from Nintendo(MK8D, Arms, Snipperclips, Pokken, Splatoon 2 etc) have performed very strongly, personally I expect Mario Tennis Aces to finish the year with over 500K sales because I expect some ongoing support from Nintendo(costumes, new characters, new modes, balance updates etc).

Captain Toad and Sushi Striker might be the only games that I'm not sure of in terms of performance. I think that if these two titles reach 200K on the Switch for Japan this year Nintendo will be very pleased.

Smash I think that in terms of it's launch it could very easily be the first title to launch with over >1M sales on the Switch and to hit 2M by the end of the year.

Lastly we have the fall, and I anticipate that outside of Pokemon there would be one more major fall title.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You are underestimating a lot of titles, while overrating the 2012 lineup.

First of all Kirby released just a few weeks ago and is likely going to be the first 1M selling title from Nintendo in 2018.

Evergreen titles from 2017 will continue to sell, I anticipate that Splatoon 2 could potentially match it's 2017 sales in 2018;
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will continue to sell at a steady pace and I don't see a reason why it won't end up close to 1M for 2018(currently sitting at 314K);
Breath of the Wild continues to sell extremely well despite being an year old and usually not this leggy in Japan - it's possible it sells over 400K this year(currently at 167K).
Super Mario Odyssey is the only game that has slowed down considerably but it's possible for new DLC to be announced and for sales to pick up again;

You have Labo coming up in 9 days - it's the type of title that will continue to sell through-out the year and have larger results around Obon/December. Personally I've said that I expect additional Packs to be released later in the year and in Japan I think Labo line will easily clear 1M in 2018.

After Labo is released you have DKTF which is another 2D Platformer, Nintendo have worked on making the game a bit more accessible and it should perform much better than the Wii U version thanks to this, the local co-op and lastly the fact that it's on a popular portable. Personally I think DKTF can surpass 300K in 2018.

Mario Tennis Aces to me is going to be a game that outperforms prior Mario Tennis games, I think there are several factors for this including accessibility via motion controls and allowing two player local on the go. Overall majority of online or multiplayer titles from Nintendo(MK8D, Arms, Snipperclips, Pokken, Splatoon 2 etc) have performed very strongly, personally I expect Mario Tennis Aces to finish the year with over 500K sales because I expect some ongoing support from Nintendo(costumes, new characters, new modes, balance updates etc).

Captain Toad and Sushi Striker might be the only games that I'm not sure of in terms of performance. I think that if these two titles reach 200K on the Switch for Japan this year Nintendo will be very pleased.

Smash I think that in terms of it's launch it could very easily be the first title to launch with over >1M sales on the Switch and to hit 2M by the end of the year.

Lastly we have the fall, and I anticipate that outside of Pokemon there would be one more major fall title.
Let's roll with Pokémon: what other game would you envision? Are you talking Fire Emblem in December kind of like how XBC2 rounded out 2017, or an actual major seller like Animal Crossing?

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if something is planned for July 13th.

Last year, 3DS had 3 games releasing on July 13th as well: Hey Pikmin, Ever Oasis and Snack World (this last one was delayed at the end). Some weeks later, Nintendo announced New 2DS XL coming the same date. That's why it made sense to have all these games packed the same day, for the New 2DS launch.

So, I wonder if we will hear something for Switch.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's roll with Pokémon: what other game would you envision? Are you talking Fire Emblem in December kind of like how XBC2 rounded out 2017, or an actual major seller like Animal Crossing?

I think that there is a greater chance for Animal Crossing or Pokemon to be released early next year, to maintain momentum after the holidays. I don't think Pokemon and Animal Crossing would benefit of releasing in the same quarter. To me Fire Emblem seems the more likely title to launch in the fall since it targets and older demographic.
Overall if we see Yo-Kai, DQB2 and Pokemon all launch this fall we have enough major sellers.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Last year, 3DS had 3 games releasing on July 13th as well: Hey Pikmin, Ever Oasis and Snack World (this last one was delayed at the end). Some weeks later, Nintendo announced New 2DS XL coming the same date. That's why it made sense to have all these games packed the same day, for the New 2DS launch.

More 3DS games I think.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

New bundle ? There won't be a pricedrop and even less a new model so it can only be that.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Smart. Level 5 looks like it's trying to get ahead of Pokémon in being the hotness for kids this summer. Between that, Pokémon and Minecraft Switch will have a pretty fat holiday season.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I wonder what would be feasible. A new model may happen, but only because they can decrease production costs or improve battery life, since the system won't change form factor only two months after Labo's launch (since that would mean they are willing to forgo compatibility with Labo even before it launches, which I highly doubt). A price drop may happen, but I find that quite unlikely as well, since I'm not seeing since of dire sales at any place in the world. So, I can't really fathom what they'd bring out on that day.

I think that there is a greater chance for Animal Crossing or Pokemon to be released early next year, to maintain momentum after the holidays. I don't think Pokemon and Animal Crossing would benefit of releasing in the same quarter. To me Fire Emblem seems the more likely title to launch in the fall since it targets and older demographic.
Overall if we see Yo-Kai, DQB2 and Pokemon all launch this fall we have enough major sellers.
Yeah, wasn't sure what you meant, but I agree that a lower tier game like Fire Emblem (compared to Pokémon and Animal Crossing) makes sense as a second fall game.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017

I think it's just companies releasing their games in the summer,last year July even had big guns for summer like DQXI and Splatoon 2 tbf