• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if something is planned for July 13th.

Last year, 3DS had 3 games releasing on July 13th as well: Hey Pikmin, Ever Oasis and Snack World (this last one was delayed at the end). Some weeks later, Nintendo announced New 2DS XL coming the same date. That's why it made sense to have all these games packed the same day, for the New 2DS launch.

So, I wonder if we will hear something for Switch.

If the Octo Expansion is confirmed for July 13th, it would indeed seem like something might be up for that day. And this is with Taiko no Tatsujin's release date pending (I assume it'll be before Obon, so July 12th would be a potential release date too). If there is a specific hardware-focused initiative, I assume we'll hear more in the Investor Meeting for the upcoming financial results. IIRC, New 2DS XL was announced at last year's meeting for the full FY results.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep Switch line-up doesn't look so hot at all. It looks almost crowded already with the 1 first party game per month formula but considering that most of these games are ports, that we still haven't confirmation that Smash is not one of them and NSMB seems like a very likely thing already that doesn't leave a lot of room for new, exciting and as a result really strong system sellers for the rest of the year. Even if it is an enhanced port Smash should do well but beyond that it seems that it will really depend on Pokemon making it this year and also possibly Labo having legs and being some kind of phenomenon. But eh, just release Switch Mini for the holidays and everything should be right sales-wise. As a Switch owner though that year looks absolutely dreadful for sure.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep Switch line-up doesn't look so hot at all. It looks almost crowded already with the 1 first party game per month formula but considering that most of these games are ports, that we still haven't confirmation that Smash is not one of them and NSMB seems like a very likely thing already that doesn't leave a lot of room for new, exciting and as a result really strong system sellers for the rest of the year. Even if it is an enhanced port Smash should do well but beyond that it seems that it will really depend on Pokemon making it this year and also possibly Labo having legs and being some kind of phenomenon. But eh, just release Switch Mini for the holidays and everything should be right sales-wise. As a Switch owner though that year looks absolutely dreadful for sure.

How did we go from a rumour from a unverified source to a "very likely thing"?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

That's one way to look at an incredibly crowded July/summer...

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How did we go from a rumour from a unverified source to a "very likely thing"?
There has been too many rumors from credible sources to not consider it likely imo. And honestly seeing how Nintendo seems absolutely shameless with WiiU ports this year, I don't think that would be that surprising at all either.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It is an argument in a world where Inazuma already showed a big decline entry-to-entry from 1m to <300k units. I don't think Inazuma audience cares much about graphics and Ares doesn't seem pushing the hardware.

If people are excited about the World Cup they will buy FIFA or Winning Eleven. The fact that other football arcade games exist and are successful is not necessarily a good thing because they are fighting for the same thing: gamers' time.
Captain Tsubasa IS football in Japan, it's even still referenced in today's J-League events.

Since Inazuma is kind of a Captain Tsubasa game (withotu the license obviously), the reimagination of Captain Tsubasa (which started airing last week) and the world cup combo could seriously help Inazuma Eleven Ares when it comes out. Even moreso than FIFA or Winning Eleven tbh.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What are you talking about? I would grant you this argument for H1 (though more for Q1 than Q2), but H2 has a very strong lineup that consists of mostly new games:

Taiko (this was confirmed to be a new game, not a port of the PS4 game from last year)
Fire Emblem
Octopath
Smash (all signs have pointed towards it being a new game)
Yokai Watch
Inazuma Eleven
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Yoshi

The games listed above are major sellers (except maybe Octopath, but probably still 100k+), and this is just what's currently confirmed ( less than a third through the year). If there is another big game coming this year, like Pokémon or Animal Crossing, then H2 is absolutely stacked. Labo is a wildcard, and we'll see what they achieve with it. However, even if Labo doesn't do well and no Pokémon or Animal Crossing comes out, the system has a very strong lineup in its second half of the year.
There has been too many rumors from credible sources to not consider it likely imo. And honestly seeing how Nintendo seems absolutely shameless with WiiU ports this year, I don't think that would be that surprising at all.
There really haven't been, though. There's that ehoavash guy or whatever who refuses to be verified, and then Emily said it could be true based purely on what she heard about many ports coming (which could just be for H1, mind you: H1 has a lot of ports with Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, DK Tropical Freeze and probably more I'm forgetting. Nothing about this strikes as making it a very likely thing.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
There has been too many rumors from credible sources to not consider it likely imo. And honestly seeing how Nintendo seems absolutely shameless with WiiU ports this year, I don't think that would be that surprising at all.
How many sources? Come on my man Nintendo created Odysessy from scratch for the Switch's launch year do you honstly think they'd be unable to scrape together a a new 2D mario game for their big holiday title?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Captain Tsubasa IS football in Japan, it's even still referenced in today's J-League events.

Since Inazuma is kind of a Captain Tsubasa game (withotu the license obviously), the reimagination of Captain Tsubasa (which started airing last week) and the world cup combo could seriously help Inazuma Eleven Ares when it comes out. Even moreso than FIFA or Winning Eleven tbh.

On the contrary, it can hamper the potential of another football-inspired game. If people can already play Captain Tsubasa and sim-games, why should they play Inazuma Eleven?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
On the contrary, it can hamper the potential of another football-inspired game. If people can already play Captain Tsubasa and sim-games, why should they play Inazuma Eleven?
They can't?

No new Captain Tsubasa game has been announced and the mobile Gatcha game should have little impact on Inazuma 11

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

Why should anyone feel shame for re-releasing quality games?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Last year, 3DS had 3 games releasing on July 13th as well: Hey Pikmin, Ever Oasis and Snack World (this last one was delayed at the end). Some weeks later, Nintendo announced New 2DS XL coming the same date. That's why it made sense to have all these games packed the same day, for the New 2DS launch.

Very smartly noticed.

Considering a lot of these releases are mainstream and/or focused on kids, maybe we can expect the first hardware revision on 13 July? Something a bit more sturdy, less breakable and a bit cheaper, catered to kids.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If there is a NSMB port to Switch, I hope itsi something like an All Stars collection with features like SMB deluxe. Just something to make it exciting. A simple port of U would be extremely boring. Despite being 2D Mario game and a great one gameplay wise, it led to very little excitement on new hardware.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
992.png

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How many sources? Come on my man Nintendo created Odysessy from scratch for the Switch's launch year do you honstly think they'd be unable to scrape together a a new 2D mario game for their big holiday title?
Considering that they have all their teams developing for that platform alone I didn't think that they would pack their first half of the year with ports but here we are. Developing games like SMO or BOTW take a lot of time and resources and even if Switch is a less powerful console than PS4/XBO the development costs are also increasing for Nintendo. With all these ports I fear that we have all overestimated their abilities to release a steady flow of new games. Like I said the line-up is crowded but there aren't that much system sellers if Pokemon is not a 2018 title. Third party may really well make it for the lack of a strong first party line-up especially with announcements like Yokai Watch though.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Considering that they have all their teams developing for that platform alone I didn't think that they would pack their first half of the year with ports but here we are. Developing games like SMO or BOTW take a lot of time and resources and even if Switch is a less powerful console than PS4/XBO the development costs are also increasing for Nintendo. With all these ports I fear that we have all overestimated their abilities to release a steady flow of new games. Like I said the line-up is crowded but there aren't that much system sellers if Pokemon is not a 2018 title. Third party may really well make it for the lack of a strong first party line-up especially with announcements like Yokai Watch though.
Why wouldn't they pack their second year with ports? Most of them didn't reach their full potential on a failed console and it gives them more breathing room to polish up their games for the system. It's far easier to ensure a steady flow from here on if you port these sorts of games than otherwise, there isn't a downside here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
So far except for Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule warriors all the ports have outsold the originals

And the jury's still out for those two games. It's a good strategy

Last edited:

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

Why on Earth would they release a mini version? Also I'd be amazed if new 2018 titles weren't announced at E3. It's not as if Nintendo doesn't have a track record for announcing games the year they're released.

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why wouldn't they pack their second year with ports? Most of them didn't reach their full potential on a failed console and it gives them more breathing room to polish up their games for the system. It's far easier to ensure a steady flow from here on if you port these sorts of games than otherwise, there isn't a downside here.
The obvious downside is that ports of games that already failed to help the WiiU to sell well will most likely won't do wonders to sell the Switch no matter how so exciting this console is compare to its predecessor. These ports can't be considered system sellers obviously, except in some capacity and certainly not as much as brand new titles, for the very big ones like MK8 or maybe Smash. I'm not even sure we can still say the same about NSMB, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo thinks otherwise.

Why on Earth would they release a mini version? Also I'd be amazed if new 2018 titles weren't announced at E3. It's not as if Nintendo doesn't have a track record for announcing games the year they're released.

To try to help LTD Switch sales launch aligned to reach 3DS level at least in Japan for instance ?

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Switch's second half lineup, especially in Japan, is shaping up to be insane.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
So far except for Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule warriors all the ports have oitsild the originals

And the jury's still out for those two games. It's a good strategy
Yep, and I can almost say with certainty that Bayonetta 2 will outsell the original in the long run due to Switch Legs Syndrome. We all know that Nintendo initially expected FAR less switches to be sold in its first year; losing a bit of momentum (but getting great returns) by releasing multiple ports was a very safe move. They are likely fully aware that they could have continued all guns blazing and pushing demand to its limits by releasing massive exclusives in H1, but why do that when you could save those exclusives/polish them further to spread out the line up, whilst safely maintaining solid sales on ports/mid tier releases?

Edit: not to mention they are fully aware that smash bros plus literally any other first party title is more than enough for insane momentum in H2. That's not even considering the insane Japan line up we have already established

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
There's nothing to get. He's always been fishing for hits
I mean I think NSMB will be a new game.

Also I think at most 5 Wii U ports for the year seems logical. We already have 4 trough July, I think a game like 3D World will be next in all honestly especially with the coop being such an integral part. Just add a bunch of new levels and bam all good. Then again we just had Odyssey. I don't know we will see though.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
There has been too many rumors from credible sources to not consider it likely imo. And honestly seeing how Nintendo seems absolutely shameless with WiiU ports this year, I don't think that would be that surprising at all either.
There are no credible Switch software rumors

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Looking at sales charts with quite clear trends, knowing of confirmed million sellers like Smash and the just yesterday announced Youkai Watch it's understandable to be concerned about Switchs prospects in Japan. Yes,... I guess we know who actually feels no shame in pushing a narrative.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

If there's a new Captain Tsubasa anime airing right now isn't there a chance it'll overshadow the new season of Inazuma Eleven?

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at sales charts with quite clear trends, knowing of confirmed million sellers like Smash and the just yesterday announced Youkai Watch it's understandable to be concerned about Switchs prospects in Japan. Yes,... I guess we know who actually feels no shame in pushing a narrative.
Relax, we may disagree but no need to call me out, especially as I think I tried to explain clearly my point of view with arguments. I have never said I was concerned about Switch prospects in Japan for example... even if I think the coming line-up doesn't look that strong and that this console is still way below 3DS sales in that region which is not that great for Nintendo :p.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
The obvious downside is that ports of games that already failed to help the WiiU to sell well will most likely won't do wonders to sell the Switch no matter how so exciting this console is compare to its predecessor. These ports can't be considered system sellers obviously, except in some capacity and certainly not as much as brand new titles, for the very big ones like MK8 or maybe Smash. I'm not even sure we can still say the same about NSMB, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo thinks otherwise.

To try to help LTD Switch sales launch aligned to reach 3DS level at least in Japan for instance ?

You cant save failed system, all Wii U hevi hitters came on Wii U when consoles was already considered for fail and after 1st year, on Switch definatly can have much bigger impact, and evry game has effect on sales of system in some degree.

That dont make sense, Switch dont need to sell on 3DS level currently, and actualy Switch is selling better than 3DS for same time period on all other markets.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

2DSwitch XL confirmed.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of people sometimes miss that the Switch doesn't need traditional system sellers to keep selling well. The system has an innate attractiveness to it that the 3DS never had. The 3DS required a drastic, early price cut to really boost sales