• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When a game is PS4 exclusive in Japan but multiplatform elsewhere, usually Sony has a hand in it. But what does Sony want from Shanmue HD? I honestly don't understand. The game is not even big in Japan.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
When a game is PS4 exclusive in Japan but multiplatform elsewhere, usually Sony has a hand in it. But what does Sony want from Shanmue HD? I honestly don't understand. The game is not even big in Japan.

Isn't it relatively common for no X1 version to release in Japan? Seems pretty common with Namco at least.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about the company who released a 3DS game where you couldn't delete your save file.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
They wouldn't get away with it on PS4/Xbox One. People would just not buy it.
Are there anything that suggest that Switch owners are more open to that? I know about the different examples with partial download, but games on other platforms has also included codes for different things. Arent there certain GOTY editions that have codes with the DLC instead of being on the disc? And retail PUBG release on Xbox One only contains a code.

m.i.s.

Oct 30, 2017
England, UK
I think it is just a combination of a) betting against Switch revitalizing Nintendo/Japan/Portable gaming to any significant degree and b), as I believe they said wrt MH, wanting to shift away from the Japanese market anyway, thinking that the future lay elsewhere.

The problem is that as Capcom jumped ship, Nintendo did put out a portable device with positive momentum in not only Japan but also the rest of the world. And they are/were conspicuously absent after having been conspicuously present. Which sucks for the Japanese domestic market. Hopefully they turn that around.

I think those are things that have floated across plenty of minds in the lead up to Switch: that portables were on decline especially outside Japan, that a post-mobile boom handheld might be another huge drop-off from 3DS in Japan and elsewhere, that Nintendo was between a rock and a hard place and might not find much success. It just seems that Capcom also thought these things imo and bet that way.

Yes, these are my thoughts too.

PS4 launched in Japan 22-Feb-2014. Over four years ago which has given SCE and Japanese third parties time to establish development engines and business plans.

In that time, CEO's / Managing Directors / Presidents of Japanese developers and publishers have seen the implosion of Wii U worldwide, the erosion of 3DS and dedicated gaming handhelds worldwide in general [and the fear of continuing decline with successive handheld generations], implosion of Vita worldwide despite a Japanese resurgence.

Faced with this prospect of a barren hardware landscape and the departure of some high profile software companies from the industry entirely [eg Konami], what would you do? Also, factor in the commercial responsibility of multi-million pound budgets, accountability to shareholders and the responsibility of the continued employment of dozens or hundreds or thousands [and many thousands more in the development pipeline] resting on your decision. It's just sound commercial sense to go with Sony. And with 70 Million + PS4's out there, the decision to throw their lot in with Sony has been vindicated.

Last edited:

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Hardware Comparison:
2018_04_13_22_23_52.jpg

Software Comparison:
2018_04_13_22_24_08.jpg

Hardware down from last year, Software still holding somehow.

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Are there anything that suggest that Switch owners are more open to that?

I wouldn't call it more open but it's more common on that platform. PS4/XBox One owners aren't gonna buy collections where half of it is a one time code. They have never had to, there is no precedent for it.

I know about the different examples with partial download, but games on other platforms has also included codes for different things. Arent there certain GOTY editions that have codes with the DLC instead of being on the disc? And retail PUBG release on Xbox One only contains a code.

Those aren't collections though. Single game releases where it's only available as a code basically mean the game is digital only. I can't think of a PS4/Xbox one game where half the collection is physical and half is a one time code.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We got trailers, the anime started airing, and now even the box art has been shown but still no release date other than "this summer".
DawsI53XcAEB-rg.jpg

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
3/5 stars difficulty for YSO next week.

God of War and Labo should take top 3 spots, the problem is Labo is not included in Famitsu's release schedule and maybe it won't be counted from them.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create and Dengeki will track Labo as software, Famitsu will be the outlier if they don't.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Media Create already became the best when it was made clear it would be the first tracker to have BotW over a million.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I didn't know any better, I'd think that third parties are trying to sabotage the Switch.

"Luckily", they're just straight clownshoes.