• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eliseo

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of mobile games, is it really that complicated to put out those games on the Nintendo Switch?

I'd love mobile Fortnite on it lol.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
What a confusing set of announcements for the Valkyria series. Thank god people sorted it all out. This decision makes a lot of sense. If you're confident you can make VC4 work on Switch, then there's no reason why VC1 can't work. I'm sad there's no physical release as there's nothing to add to my collection...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Labo is going to bomb so hard solely based on the fact that they are too complex to put together and take forever to do so.
... That's the point? The building process is an important part of the appeal, and from what I've heard around the web from people who got their kids to build it is that it's not undoable, and also fun. Small sample, of course, so we'll have to wait and see.

Oct 27, 2017
Labo is going to bomb so hard solely based on the fact that they are too complex to put together and take forever to do so.
Yup, just like all those huge lego sets that have all bombed. Or the thousands of different model kits that have all failed to find an audience. Yup!

I really, really doubt that's the point.
Building is the point, that's why they didn't just give readily constructed sets. That's why they took so much care to make the instructions as comprehensive and interactive as possible. The whole appeal has gone over your head. It's ok. It's not for everyone

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, just like all those huge lego sets that have all bombed. Or the thousands of different model kits that have all failed to find an audience. Yup!

Hahaha, people always use this whenever I bring that up about Labo. It's such a dumb argument.

There is like, a GIGANTIC difference between Lego and Labo. One gives you infinitely possibilities to build stuff with. One only gives you one thing to build. Guess which one is more appealing.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of mobile games, is it really that complicated to put out those games on the Nintendo Switch?

I'd love mobile Fortnite on it lol.
Generally the trick to making a decision like this is that each new platform adds a fair amount of overhead to your game that's trying to ship new updates every 1-2 weeks, so you want to make sure you're going to generate a lot of new revenue from the platform you're adding before you commit to doing it.

Fortnite in particular will probably come over though as it's hugely popular with kids. There are Switch games with microtransactions, right?

The best selling toy in America right now is a doll lootbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxvlnO4Q9JY

I can't fucking escape these lootboxes.
Yes, like, these are the actual lootboxes that target children. There are ones for LEGO too.

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hahaha, people always use this whenever I bring that up about Labo. It's such a dumb argument.

There is like, a GIGANTIC difference between Lego and Labo. One gives you infinitely possibilities to build stuff with. One only gives you one thing to build. Guess which one is more appealing.
I mean, there are innumerable lego sets that are supposed to be - and actually are - built in one specific way, yet those are just as much fun and also very successful, so I would contest that building one thing is not appealing.

Oct 27, 2017

Actually all the LABO kits come with something called Toy-Con Garage, which lets you create programs from scratch. We have a thread here about the youtube video series
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-labo-toy-con-garage-video-series-up-part-3-guitar.29612/

Like I said, it's clear it went over your head. It's okay. It's not for you

Oct 26, 2017
My concerns with Labo are:

A): This is too complex for young children
B): This is probably too simple/unappealing for adults
C): Teens might think this is lame

And A,B,C mean that Labo is aimed at preteens only. And then we have:

D): I'm not sure parents will get that Labo's cost is about software, not the cardboard.
E): Nintendo doesn't seem to have any contacts with preteens or kids popular on YouTube and Nintendo hasn't successfully advertised to the non-gaming market in like 8 years.
F): Nintendo isn't advertising Labo much at all in America which could suggest their internal numbers aren't very good.
G): The France shipment for Labo is very low.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

D): I'm not sure parents will get that Labo's cost is about software, not the cardboard.
E): Nintendo doesn't seem to have any contacts with preteens or kids popular on YouTube and Nintendo hasn't successfully advertised to the non-gaming market in like 8 years.
F): Nintendo isn't advertising Labo much at all in America which could suggest their internal numbers aren't very good.
It isn't a poduct supposed to be front loaded tho. Almost all the touch generations games had low shipment and sales for the FW, this is supposed to be similar.

Oct 26, 2017
It isn't a poduct supposed to be front loaded tho. Almost all the touch generations games had low shipment and sales for the FW, this is supposed to be similar.

Those sold for years though whereas toy analysts say toys mostly die off after 8 months.

So I'm not sure where Nintendo is aiming for this or what they're comparing it too.

The average life span of a toy fad is about eight months from its launch until it's marked down, said Richard Gottlieb, an analyst and publisher of Global Toy News.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/business/fingerling-toy.html

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Labo isn't complex at all for young childrens accompanied by adults, which is the point of the whole thing anyway.

Oct 25, 2017

A-C are subjective speculation, and something even market analysts won't be able to pin down either. That aside, it's a product that also encourages supervision on the case of it getting hard for some people.
D doesn't actually matter. In the field of maker toys, of STEM models, LABO is actually one of the cheaper higher quality kits that aren't just a few beams of metal and bolts with a solar panel. Many popular STEM products are made with either crafting cardboard, metal, or wood.
E is also subjective speculation.
F Nintendo has been airing LABO commercials in family oriented channels like Disney, CN, and early morning segments in the west for (at least to my eventual witnessing) the last week along with store displays as early as then too. With store displays and adverts in Japan since the start of April.
G I'm not even sure why this one counts for the whole picture, quite frankly.

Like shit man, why are you asking all these questions in the Japanese sales thread, go to NPD predictions or something.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

231770_NintendoLabo_Logo_new.jpg

...what did you think the "Make" part stands for?

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

F Nintendo has been airing LABO commercials in family oriented channels like Disney, CN, and early morning segments in the west for the last week. With store displays and adverts in Japan since early April.

ok don't do that. Don't make up stuff without any evidence, and present it as fact.

Unless you have proof that there's been no advertisements, after SimCity provided some that there is.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
LABO will bomb. cackles

It's a cute creative concept for Nintendo though, I'm sure they will evolve from cardboards to something else eventually. After all, they always win. (see Switch being the evolution of Wii U)

Oct 26, 2017
I said "Nintendo isn't advertising Labo much in America" after people in this thread said "Nintendo isn't advertising Labo much in America"

>_>

But if they are advertising it, that would obviously be better for its chances.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
Wii music sold how much? Wikipedia tell me 2.65M but it seems a lot seeing the reception of the game

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (April 09 - April 15)

DZb29dsVAAEjvSJ.jpg

01/02 [PS4] Far Cry 5 - 38 pt (-17 pt)
02/ N [NSW] The Snack World: Trejarers Gold - 34 pt
03/01 [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 29 pt (-32 pt)
04/ N [PS4] Death end re;Quest (end box) - 24 pt
05/ N [PS4] Death end re;Quest (normal version) - 21 pt

06/03 [PS4] Shining Resonance Refrain (normal version) - 17 pt (-21 pt)
07/ N [PS4] Cities: Skyline PlayStation 4 Edition - 16 pt
08/08 [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege Advanced Edition - 13 pt (+4 pt)
09/04 [PS4] Super Robot Wars X - 12 pt (-6 pt)
10/06 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 11 pt (-5 pt)
11/09 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 9 pt (-1 pt)
12/10 [3DS] Detective Pikachu - 9 pt (+1 pt)
13/05 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 8 pt (-10 pt)
14/ R [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross Best Price! - 7 pt
15/ R [NSW] Dragon Quest Builders - 7 pt
16/20 [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 6 pt (+2 pt)
17/ R [PS4] Super Robot Wars X (Premium Animation Song & Sound Edition) - 5 pt
18/14 [PS4] GTA V - 4 pt (-2 pt)
19/ R [NSW] Resident Evil: Revelations Collection - 4 pt
20/ R [NSW] FIFA 18 - 4 pt

PS4: 9
NSW: 9
3DS: 2

ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (April 02 - April 08)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/6500795/

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Geberally the trick to making a decision like this is that each new platform adds a fair amount of overhead to your game that's trying to ship new updates every 1-2 weeks, so you want to make sure you're going to generate a lot of new revenue from the platform you're adding before you commit to doing it.

Fortnite in particular will probably come over though as it's hugely popular with kids. There are Switch games with microtransactions, right?

Yes, like, these are the actual lootboxes that target children. There are ones for LEGO too.
Obviously it will sell like crack in the 90's but doesn't the Switch demographic scew older though?

Hopefully Labo will help with that :p

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it will sell like crack in the 90's but doesn't the Switch demographic scew older though?

Hopefully Labo will help with that :p
It does, but the main reason you would expand to the Switch is the anticipated future audience you don't expect to reach elsewhere.

This is probably why they're also not in a rush.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
It does, but the main reason you would expand to the Switch is the anticipated future audience you don't expect to reach elsewhere.

This is probably why they're also not in a rush.
I mean it's just money on the table.

Fortnite would kill it on the Switch and the sooner they release it, the sooner they make even more money than they already are. I would suspect once the online launches we will start seeing different kinds of stuff announced.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
When Nintendo straight up says that some of them will take "several hours" to set up, then no, it's not very accessible.

How about you give some predictions for variety pack sales after one year and lifetime Labo sales ? :)

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious Iron Galaxy is porting Fortnite to Switch. And if it's not them for some reason, it'll be someone else. Last year they waited until E3 to reveal that Rocket League was coming, they'll probably do the same here.

No idea how you would estimate its success in Japan though, do free to play games show up on the eshop charts?

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
I still want a BOTW BR Mode. Itd be unique being fanatsy based and more Physics based.
100 Links in differnt costumes descent on hyrule with Gliders.

Plus, there's enough room between Fortnite (lack of depth but great support) and PUBG (steep learning curve, crappy support) for Nintendo to try something. It's clear BOTW engine should help a lot, if they ever take that path.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty obvious Iron Galaxy is porting Fortnite to Switch. And if it's not them for some reason, it'll be someone else. Last year they waited until E3 to reveal that Rocket League was coming, they'll probably do the same here.

No idea how you would estimate its success in Japan though, do free to play games show up on the eshop charts?
why Iron Galaxy, in particular? not that I doubt it, Dave Lang has probably been knocking on Sweeny's door for a long-ass time

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
why Iron Galaxy, in particular? not that I doubt it, Dave Lang has probably been knocking on Sweeny's door for a long-ass time
Just that Game Informer interview where Adam Boyes casually dropped they were working with Epic on "something Fortnite, secret stuff", and they just did Skyrim Switch. It just make sense, but obviously it's just speculation