• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eliseo

Oct 25, 2017
So there was actually a little bit of shake-up in Japanese mobile this month.

First up, NetEase's Battle Royale game is now a top 10 performer in Japan.

BanG Dream also managed to overtake IDOLM@STER in the rhythm genre, while Monster Strike managed to regain its crown from Fate/Grand Order.

japanmarch9fuoc.png

Over on the publisher side, Bandai Namco managed to maintain their #1 position in Japan this month. I believe that's the first time this has ever happened.

japancompaniesmarchhiubi.png

Will we see Princess connect next month? I though it was doing great.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hold on, that mobile PUBG clone got #9 in Japan chart? Seems like the rip off is worth it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Snack World Gold sell-through is pretty strong at 80%, that's almost triple what it did on its first day. Anecdotal, but the game has held on to its 6th place in the ranking on Amazon Japan, so we might be seeing very strong sales the week after launch week as well.

Edit: And just as I finished writing this it seems Snack World dropped to 7th place on Amazon Japan. Legs are cancelled.

I am also pretty curious ... lots of magazine covers for a game that feels that will sell less than labo in the long run =P
I mean, it seems pretty likely to me that Labo will be ahead of GoW every week starting from launch week: GoW is a pretty small (dare I say niche lol) franchise in Japan: GoW3 did 45k FW, and expectations from YSO are that GoW PS4 will do similarly. Labo, meanwhile, is pegged by YSO at a launch of around 120k, and will sell for a much longer period of time as well.

Speaking of niche, Psycho_Mantis has been MIA for a long time here, hasn't he? Did he get a permaban or something?
Long temp ban for an off topic thing.
I see.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean, it seems pretty likely to me that Labo will be ahead of GoW every week starting from launch week: GoW is a pretty small (dare I say niche lol) franchise in Japan: GoW3 did 45k FW, and expectations from YSO are that GoW PS4 will do similarly. Labo, meanwhile, is pegged by YSO at a launch of around 120k, and will sell for a much longer period of time as well.

That's what I was talking about ... lots of magazine covers for a niche xD

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
So there was actually a little bit of shake-up in Japanese mobile this month.

First up, NetEase's Battle Royale game is now a top 10 performer in Japan.

BanG Dream also managed to overtake IDOLM@STER in the rhythm genre, while Monster Strike managed to regain its crown from Fate/Grand Order.

japanmarch9fuoc.png

Over on the publisher side, Bandai Namco managed to maintain their #1 position in Japan this month. I believe that's the first time this has ever happened.

japancompaniesmarchhiubi.png
not surprised bandori overtook deresute last month. 1st anniv + permanent rate change on top of dreamfes rate up definitely made playerbase go into spending mode

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are completely right.

Every single FF after X got worse, culminating in the terrible clusterfuck that was FF XV.

Yo Bro.^_^ Finally someone who can understand ma pain lol.

I think you mean after 9. There was a bit of dip in quality between 6 and 8 as well.

I can only agree to certain extent there as i like 9 but 10 for me is better than 9 thanks to how fast the battle can goes as 9 pace can go like Snail sometime.

Jan 2, 2018
Yo Bro.^_^ Finally someone who can understand ma pain lol.

Sadly I can, yes. With XV and it's unfortunate and relatively good perception by the masses, in addition to it's good sales numbers, I came to the conclusion that the series simply isn't something for me anymore.

I'm looking to other SE output like DQ or Octopath Traveler instead.

Edit: Mobile posting is difficult...

Edit 2: And I really really hope Octopath Traveler will sell well, the demo was fantastic and I'm looking forward to see and follow it's sales beginning in July of this year.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I can, yes. With XV and it's unfortunate and relatively good perception by the masses, in addition to it's good sales numbers, I came to the conclusion that the series simply isn't something for me anymore.

I'm looking to other SE output like DQ or Octopath Traveler instead.

Edit: Mobile posting is difficult...

Edit 2: And I really really hope Octopath Traveler will sell well, the demo was fantastic and I'm looking forward to see and follow it's sales beginning in July of this year.
People will be too busy playing Splatoon 2 to buy Octopath. Poor Octopath never stood a chance

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath will have a strong launch, I am pretty confident about it. >200k FW is my guess.
Octopath will benefit from Octo Expansion being DLC and Splatoon 2 having a high attach rate. There's no fear of cannibalism at retail*. But over 200K feels optimistic to me. I'll bet on 150k then leg it to 275K before falling off

*unless Capitan Todd hungers for flesh

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of niche, Psycho_Mantis has been MIA for a long time here, hasn't he? Did he get a permaban or something?
It happened in a thread about a controversial ""intellectual"", he handpicked statements he thought he could refute ( poorly and disingenuously) and ignored swaths of posters who went to great lengths to engage in an actual conversation/ debate.
So par for the course, really.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 revival incoming in the next couple of weeks lol. MH is huge and will help lift the baseline for the PS4 for a while longer and Sony got caught off guard.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are completely right.

Every single FF after X got worse, culminating in the terrible clusterfuck that was FF XV.

FFXV is a far better game than FF13 and even FF12. You can roam that world fighting monsters and have tons of fun, while in prior games grinding was tedious.

3 weeks ban for..... you guessed it, arguing in bad faith and not backing up his claims

It happened in a thread about a controversial ""intellectual"", he handpicked statements he thought he could refute ( poorly and disingenuously) and ignored swaths of posters who went to great lengths to engage in an actual conversation/ debate.
So par for the course, really.

Interesting perspectives.

PS4 revival incoming in the next couple of weeks lol. MH is huge and will help lift the baseline for the PS4 for a while longer and Sony got caught off guard.

PS4 clearly has stock problems. Sony probably underestimated MHWs effect and now their shipment has gone dry. Shouldn't take long to replenish as there isn't much else going on right now though.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
FFXV is a far better game than FF13 and even FF12. You can roam that world fighting monsters and have tons of fun, while in prior games grinding was tedious.

Interesting perspectives.

PS4 clearly has stock problems. Sony probably underestimated MHWs effect and now their shipment has gone dry. Shouldn't take long to replenish as there isn't much else going on right now though.

Why would they still have stock problems now though ?
MHW launched last quarter, so should the shippment for this quarter not be unaffected by MHW ?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 to have a record breaking week then? In the negatives I mean. What's the lowest it's sold in a week thus far?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably what it sold last week.

Irc last week was lower than the Lowest week of Last year.

Well that must surely point to stock issues then if the situation is indeed that dire. Though as you pointed out it's really bizarre- they were able to sell many PS4s in Jan/Feb but come April the well is completely dry? More than 4 years since the console entered full-scale production? Things aren't adding up...

Edit: yeah 560 units for the pre-slim and price cut week makes a lot of sense. That will probably remain the lower-end for obvious reasons.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MHW launched last quarter, so should the shippment for this quarter not be unaffected by MHW ?
Depends on how much MHW went over expectations. PS4 had two weeks over 100k, which is a massive amount of units, and in general the system was up YoY every week until a couple of weeks ago. As such, their plans for extra shipments in April might not have been enough to cover the gap between estimated and real demand in Q1. Add to that the fact that the west will get every unit it can with the launch of GOW, and I can see how this situation came about and why it hasn't been resolved yet.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

We had reports from trackers that say it had stock issues. Pretty much nothing to doubt. It is what it is.

The stock is clearly more of an issue than we originally thought. Not that when PS4 gets more stock it'll suddenly rise to heaven or anything but yes there is a stock issue

Interesting perspectives

Not really. Let's move on though.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
We had reports from trackers that say it had stock issues. Pretty much nothing to doubt. It is what it is.

The stock is clearly more of an issue than we originally thought. Not that when PS4 gets more stock it'll suddenly rise to heaven or anything but yes there is a stock issue

Not really. Let's move on though.

Its not that i dont believe that there are stock issues, its just that i am confused as to why there are Stock issues.

For a country with meh sales and being a 4 year old console, stock issues should not be a thing imo.