• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Its not that i dont believe that there are stock issues, its just that i am confused as to why there are Stock issues.

For a country with meh sales and being a 4 year old console, stock issues should not be a thing imo.

They sold through their expected shipments faster than they thought. They decided to stay course with the regular shipment schedule opposed to expediting.

Even a mature system has to have a proper supply chain plan in place to stay stocked. After 4 year they mostly know what to expect so MHW's massive launch caught them off guard. Not a huge oddity imo.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they still have stock problems now though ?
MHW launched last quarter, so should the shippment for this quarter not be unaffected by MHW ?

Supply chain management is complex, especially when you have a global product. Can be affected by numerous issues but I doubt this is big enough to affect the numbers of quarterly shipments. They'll replenish by the end of this quarter and it is Japan, a region that accounts for less than 10% of PS4 sales.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Member has been warned: console warring.
So, PS4 will drop to a minimum while Labo is incoming in the week after? Bad sign for Sony overall :D.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Depends on how much MHW went over expectations. PS4 had two weeks over 100k, which is a massive amount of units, and in general the system was up YoY every week until a couple of weeks ago. As such, their plans for extra shipments in April might not have been enough to cover the gap between estimated and real demand in Q1. Add to that the fact that the west will get every unit it can with the launch of GOW, and I can see how this situation came about and why it hasn't been resolved yet.

Week 7 was the last week that PS4 sold more than it did last year. Sony have now more then 7 weeks to send more stock to Japan. To be honest I have no idea what they are doing.

If it is supply problems that causes the situation Sony should have prioritized producing Japanese stock, and it should not take forever to make another 100k when Sony shipments WW are around 20 millions per year. This is not Nintendo totally miss the demand of the Switch and needing to get more production online.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
So, PS4 will drop to a minimum while Labo is incoming in the week after? Bad sign for Sony overall :D.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but a few slow weeks with supply problems won't change the fact that PS4 has a respectable amount of marketshare in Japan and is basically the default platform for japanese game development, at least when it comes to dedicated devices.

Jan 2, 2018
FFXV is a far better game than FF13 and even FF12. You can roam that world fighting monsters and have tons of fun, while in prior games grinding was tedious.

Yeah, you can roam a boring, uninspired "fantasy" world, fight monsters with a tedious clusterfuck of a battle-system and a joke of a magic-system, before you get to the latter half of the story and spend your time in corridors. Really brilliant.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I've been to Noctis' house (in the game it is 王都城, in real life it is 都庁) it's about an 8 minute ride on the subway from mine. The game is incredibly inspired. ;)

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
How and why are the 2 questions now. I don't think it would be difficult to ship 20k/week, even Nintendo managed to do that last year when they had problems with the NAND memories.
soft stock issues plus usual pre golden week drop,I doubt the console would have sold 20k+ more next week if stocks were there

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
PS4 will never match Switch normal sales on Japan, but is obvious that last week sales and this one are not normal.
If Switch drop sales its consensual that is a stock issue and preparation for next hit. Why not PS4 can have stock issues ? And if Sony is prioritizing Europe/USA for GOW launch?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
No one is disputing PS4 having stock issues. The question is WHY is it having stock issues. The best answer I received is they are about the lower the price, however I don't think they will. So I find it a bit odd that Sony hasn't been sending much to any new stock.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
The momentum from MHW and frequent releases was already gone a few weeks ago, the trend was clear for awhile, so it's not a surprise that shipments were adjusted to such trends, it's a bit on the short side and not optimal but it is adequate for the diminished demand for the upcoming weeks/months in Japan. Let's speculate and assume there are plans for a price drop or another revision, like for example a PS4proslim for the holiday season, I think retailers would try to avoid big overstock of current models considering the lost in momentum and obvious short term trends for PS4.

Anyway deliberate artificial shortages to increase demand is a great strategy /jk

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Wouldn't Sony announce a price cut in advance?
Not necessarily. In Japan if Sony does change the price, there is really no adequate system to reimburse retailers who have made the purchase for their stores. So to not ruffle too many feathers a console manufacturer might wait till stores are really low on stock before making such an announcement.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Would be weird time for price cut as in west PS4 still seems to do really well (and GoW is just being released). They have not done regional price drops with their home consoles in forever. Vita got one though (got 5k price drop half year earlier in Japan compared to west).

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Would be weird time for price cut as in west PS4 still seems to do really well (and GoW is just being released). They have not done regional price drops with their home consoles in forever. Vita got one though (got 5k price drop half year earlier in Japan compared to west).
That's why I don't think they are doing it. Which brings us back to the question: why are they not shipping PS4s to Japan.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
new Octopath Traveler trailer went up, topical since the game came up a couple pages ago

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Not that it was going to be a huge seller anyways, but Switch May lineup is really really weak now after the Dark Souls delay. Unless Labo really takes off I suspect we see new weekly hardware lows next month.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Not that it was going to be a huge seller anyways, but Switch May lineup is really really weak now after the Dark Souls delay. Unless Labo really takes off I suspect we see new weekly hardware lows next month.
tbf the big release they are pushing right now is actually Tropical Freeze though,with ads,yokoi series based on Tropical Freeze and stuff

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

There are a lot of games coming in may. Tropical Freeze, Tennis World Tour, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Street Fighter Collection and some other games.

but yeah... it really sucks, the delay.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks about Dark Souls, i wanted to see that release being released at the same date for easier/better comparison.

No one is disputing PS4 having stock issues. The question is WHY is it having stock issues. The best answer I received is they are about the lower the price, however I don't think they will. So I find it a bit odd that Sony hasn't been sending much to any new stock.
Werent some people doubting that there were any supply issues earlier in the thread?

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version was likely going to perform pretty strongly being the first DS on a Nintendo platform and releasing simultaneously.
Bummer that the delay will likely kill off a lot of momentum since it's just a vague summer and not like a July or something meaning it's probably pretty late.

It's strange since it was playable on handheld and docked last week and there seemed to be no issues with performance. Someone even rushed to blight town and said it ran fine so I'm not what's the issue.
Maybe the GameSpot video scared them off
:p

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
There are a lot of games coming in may. Tropical Freeze, Tennis World Tour, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, Street Fighter Collection and some other games.

but yeah... it really sucks, the delay.

In Japan the only May game on your list in Tropical Freeze. Right now the biggest game from Tropical Freeze (5/3) to Mario Tennis (6/22) is...Mega Man Collection or BlazBlue I guess?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ports are not easy as some of you guys think. Here's another answer to "why this game is not ported to Switch yet".

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Is there any anecdotal perspectives on the present PS4 stock situation? Is it no where to be found and out of stock or has demand just collapsed after MHW?

It is very much in stock on the online stores i just checked like yodobashi or Amazon, and I saw some last weekend in the Bic camera near my place (I live in Tokyo). The switch was however out of stock in that shop, but is relatively easy to find. I don't know for the rest of Japan but unless I'm lucky, finding a ps4 in Tokyo seems quite straightforward.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
PS4 will never match Switch normal sales on Japan, but is obvious that last week sales and this one are not normal.
If Switch drop sales its consensual that is a stock issue and preparation for next hit. Why not PS4 can have stock issues ? And if Sony is prioritizing Europe/USA for GOW launch?

Switch had plenty of reasons for having stock issues, Memory shortage, changing display companies, underestimating demand.

Ps4 is 3 years older, its parts were not in short supply and they should have strong prod/ship pipelines by now.

It just seems strange that sony would not be able to ship 20k or more per week, almost 4 years into its life even with MHW pusing hardware for a few weeks(which ended before april).

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Werent some people doubting that there were any supply issues earlier in the thread?

I think that may have been two weeks ago, but I don't remember. Anyway, it is not available everywhere, but still available some places in some configurations. Like if I wanted to go out in the rain tonight I could buy a brand new PS4 (1TB) at the book store down the street which is open till 1AM. But I can't order one off Amazon. Anyway, Sony should have no problem sending some stock to Amazon, and Amazon doesn't have retail shelves, so the situation is a bit strange.