• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I think that may have been two weeks ago, but I don't remember. Anyway, it is not available everywhere, but still available some places in some configurations. Like if I wanted to go out in the rain tonight I could buy a brand new PS4 (1TB) at the book store down the street which is open till 1AM. But I can't order one off Amazon. Anyway, Sony should have no problem sending some stock to Amazon, and Amazon doesn't have retail shelves, so the situation is a bit strange.
I mean i saw it in this thread too within the first few pages or so, but going back and reading it again, i think its more about doubting how much of an impact the supply problems had on last week's sales (that its not a bigger reason for the lower hardware sales), not that its not an issue at all. And Famitsu and Media Create reported on it after this i think, so that might change what people initially though, so its fair enough :)

But yeah, its a strange situation. As someone else mentioned, an upcoming pricedrop and/or a new PS4 model might be a reason, but then i guess maybe we should have seen the same supply issues other places in the world as well, so its kinda strange indeed.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
It is very much in stock on the online stores i just checked like yodobashi or Amazon
~ ¥40000 (> 370 USD) for PS4 Slim. And it says only 7 left in stock.

I think that may have been two weeks ago, but I don't remember.

RIP PS4. Same for its software legs, as usual.
Nothing indicating stock issues either. Time for a price cut.
PS4 performance doesn't have many things to do with supply and it's still pre summer period. Now that Monster Hunter World effect is over, weak software sales mean weak hardware sales.
And considering this is still early, the further we into summer, those drop would be even more brutal each week.

Last edited:

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Looks like Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm did better than expected. Devs tweeted that first-print copies stock is completely gone, and regular edition stocks are getting low. Once they run out of copies, it'll be digital-only.

They later announced they had reached their goal for this version:

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm did better than expected. Devs tweeted that first-print copies stock is completely gone, and regular edition stocks are getting low. Once they run out of copies, it'll be digital-only.

They later announced they had reached their goal for this version:

Nice. Hope Switch does well for VNs like the Vita did. Best way to experience these games is with a good portable, imo.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you can roam a boring, uninspired "fantasy" world, fight monsters with a tedious clusterfuck of a battle-system and a joke of a magic-system, before you get to the latter half of the story and spend your time in corridors. Really brilliant.

There are a ton of things to do in the FFXV: sidequests, monster hunts, raiding bases, dungeons, chocobo racing, pinball, colosseum, fight special boss monsters, bet on monster vs monster, and fishing.

Sorry but the battle system is one of the best ARPG systems of the gen with great combo potential.

gp30s92ylz001.gif

Something tells me you have neither played FFXV or looked much into it.

No one is disputing PS4 having stock issues. The question is WHY is it having stock issues. The best answer I received is they are about the lower the price, however I don't think they will. So I find it a bit odd that Sony hasn't been sending much to any new stock.

That's why I don't think they are doing it. Which brings us back to the question: why are they not shipping PS4s to Japan.

Actually, some were disputing if PS4 was having stock issues.
The exact reason why is kinda pointless as there could be so many internal reasons that we could never know unless Sony says something. For now MHW seems like a good reason.

Sucks about Dark Souls, i wanted to see that release being released at the same date for easier/better comparison.

Werent some people doubting that there were any supply issues earlier in the thread?

Yeah was looking forward to the simultaneous release numbers wise. Same with DQ11. VC4 also got delayed.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't do a call out post on Chris, lol.
I'm not sure the severity of the supply, but it is likely responsible for the drop from 25k to 15k but I'm not sure if the demand to sell 30k units or so is there.

Thats the problem with all these stock issues argument here.

Does anyone really believe that PS4 is capable of selling 30k every week with small to no release right now? Thats why, i dont see the 15k number to be anything problematic as MHW effect is more or less gone.

If next week number further drop to below 10k, then there is probably huge supply problem as i dont see how PS4 is not able to hold the baseline around 15k there.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
When PS4 supply returns to normal I dont really expect it to suddenly average higher than normal numbers. Release schedule is mediocre and summer is brutal on all systems.

So shit is really negligible to me either way. I dont think we are missing any wild sales potential that makes this interesting. Its just like dont freak out about low PS4 numbers.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Thats the problem with all these stock issues argument here.

Does anyone really believe that PS4 is capable of selling 30k every week with small to no release right now? Thats why, i dont see the 15k number to be anything problematic as MHW effect is more or less gone.

If next week number further drop to below 10k, then there is probably huge supply problem as i dont see how PS4 is not able to hold the baseline around 15k there.

Right. I'd say the only real relevance right now is we can seemingly rule out that hardware sales have completely collapsed. But at the end of the day the units "lost" because of supply problems is essentially meaningless.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are a ton of things to do in the FFXV: sidequests, monster hunts, raiding bases, dungeons, chocobo racing, pinball, colosseum, fight special boss monsters, bet on monster vs monster, and fishing.

Sorry but the battle system is one of the best ARPG systems of the gen with great combo potential.

gp30s92ylz001.gif

None of those thing is unique to FF lol. FF10 literally had BlitzBall which is more fun than any minigame XV provided lol.

10 also had Chocobo Racing so saying that having all those old things that other FF had always had as a plus sounds lame.

Jan 2, 2018

Bold assumption, only based on my dislike of the game.
I played it, but stopped near the end, could not get myself to beat it. I watched the rest of the game via Twitch.
I played it without the later patches and updates, perhaps it got a bit better, but I doubt it changed the core of the game.

Even the bad FF XIII at least felt like a Final Fantasy game, FF XV's "a fantasy based on reality"-theme didn't appeal to me at all.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
None of those thing is unique to FF lol. FF10 literally had BlitzBall which is more fun than any minigame XV provided lol.

10 also had Chocobo Racing so saying that having all those old things that other FF had always had as a plus sounds lame.

FF7 base defense mini game is my fav FF mini game. Shit was so fun.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of those thing is unique to FF lol.

Never said it was unique lol

FF10 literally had BlitzBall which is more fun than any minigame XV provided lol.

Tbh FFXV's battle system was more fun than any activity, including Blitzball.

Bold assumption, only based on my dislike of the game.
I played it, but stopped near the end, could not get myself to beat it. I watched the rest of the game via Twitch.
I played it without the later patches and updates, perhaps it got a bit better, but I doubt it changed the core of the game.

Even the bad FF XIII at least felt like a Final Fantasy game, FF XV's "a fantasy based on reality"-theme didn't appeal to me at all.

Now we know the issue.
For me and I think millions of other FF fans the fantasy based on reality was a big reason why Versus and eventually FFXV was so appealing.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Snack World might have been slightly better from YSO predictions, it had good weekend sales at many retailers.

Jan 2, 2018
Now we know the issue.
For me and I think millions of other FF fans the fantasy based on reality was a big reason why Versus and eventually FFXV was so appealing.

Seems like it and that's one of the reasons I had the unfortunate realisation (already with FF XII and XIII, but more so with FF XV) that the series is not for me anymore. FF XV is a success like I said and I'm happy for all of the fans that enjoys this direction, but the franchise lost me and sometimes I'm a bit mad about that.
But as I stated earlier, projects like Ocotpath Traveler and a franchise like Dragon Quest also exists, so I guess at least Square Enix produces games for everyone in that sense.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XV combat looks amazing to the point where I enjoyed it largely on how stylish it is alone, but calling it one of the best action RPG systems of the gen is taking things too far lol. It paid off for Square Enix greatly, but the combat is definitely style over substance.

Final Fantasy XII combat has its own issues, but at least there's a lot of depth involved in how you build your characters.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nah, there are far better animation-driven action games out there. FF15 is just a slog with it's design. felt like they wanted to have their cake and eat it. if the game was input-driven, it'd be so much better. that or they'd redesign the encounters

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Hope Switch does well for VNs like the Vita did. Best way to experience these games is with a good portable, imo.
Fully agree. While the bulk of my vn playing is still on pc, playing them on a portable system is just the best experience, the psp was great for that and the vita kept that up. Very happy to see that the devs are happy with the results on switch, hopefully this trend will continue.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda feel sorry for starting the FF discussion, it can literally derail anything.

Good for the VNs. PSP and Vita brought some much needed extra cash to VN companies, looks like Switch is doing the same. Now I'm just waiting for Aquaplus to hit me with everything they've got.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XV combat looks amazing to the point where I enjoyed it largely on how stylish it is alone, but calling it one of the best action RPG systems of the gen is taking things too far lol. It paid off for Square Enix greatly, but the combat is definitely style over substance.

Final Fantasy XII combat has its own issues, but at least there's a lot of depth involved in how you build your characters.

I can only think of two game this gen that beat FFXV's battle system thus far and thats Bloddborne and MHW. I've yet to play Nier and KH 0.2 but as you can see it would still be at the top. Its unique as well from what I've played.

nah, there are far better animation-driven action games out there. FF15 is just a slog with it's design. felt like they wanted to have their cake and eat it. if the game was input-driven, it'd be so much better. that or they'd redesign the encounters

Like?
The auto aspect is needed in FFXV so you can fight 20 enemies, while dodging bullets and missiles. It wouldn't work nearly as well if you had to press dodge everytime to dodge.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017

gp30s92ylz001.gif

Actually, some were disputing if PS4 was having stock issues.
The exact reason why is kinda pointless as there could be so many internal reasons that we could never know unless Sony says something. For now MHW seems like a good reason.

Yeah was looking forward to the simultaneous release numbers wise. Same with DQ11. VC4 also got delayed.

Now I want to play FF XV.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
all ages eroge ports are inferior in every way,even if they are on portables
I disagree. It depends on how many ero scenes there are, how important they are in the story, and what else the ports add on the original versions. I'd argue the console version of White Album 2 and Utaware are better than the original adult only version even without taking protability into consideration.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Snack World might have been slightly better from YSO predictions, it had good weekend sales at many retailers.
Good to hear. We know that COMG more than doubled their preorder sales by the end of the week. Furthermore, GEO had an 80% sell-through of the game, so if they fell in line with the 30% day-one sell-through, then they, too, more than doubled their day-one numbers. Will definitely be interesting to see what numbers it did in tomorrow's report: I think 40k will be right around where it'll debut.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like?
The auto aspect is needed in FFXV so you can fight 20 enemies, while dodging bullets and missiles. It wouldn't work nearly as well if you had to press dodge everytime to dodge.
Dark souls, monster hunter, etc. You aren't fighting 20 enemies, at which point, animation-driven combat starts to become a chore because crowd control becomes a pain. Even with the large sword, you're significantly slower and breaking up crowds to a couple at a time is difficult. The AI party doesn't do much to help as they suck at aggro-ing.
The hold to auto-dodge feels like a bandaid to the issue as then encounter design feels antithetical to then combat design

Oct 26, 2017
FF15 feels like garbage because of holding.

KH2.5's combat is definitely much better and BotW's combat is infinitely better.

And of course Bloodborne is better.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part of the Dark Souls delay is that we won't get to compare it with the PS4 version in sales threads.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if it was intentional, but FFXV feels a lot like western games.
Moving around has this weird floaty yet heavy feel that doesn't feel quite right.

Combat is strange coming from the studio behind KH2. Feels like they didn't know how to handle it so it feels rather messy.
Strangely, the combat system doesn't feel like it progresses. You don't really get new moves that change things up, it's mostly that you hit harder or use less MP.
KH handled it pretty well with new abilities that drastically changed what you could do.
The health and magic system were also pretty bad. Magic feels like a pretty defining feature of the franchise so to be relegated to grenades and consumables seems wrong.

Im not sure how Japan took to the game, I know it sold pretty well world wide but I wonder if this is the way forward for the series.
NieR came out a few months later and had a better critical reception and was a surprise hit for Square Enix with likely a fraction of the dev time and budget.
Will be interesting to see what lessons they learned and what they'll focus on with their next game.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if it was intentional, but FFXV feels a lot like western games.
Moving around has this weird floaty yet heavy feel that doesn't feel quite right.

Combat is strange coming from the studio behind KH2. Feels like they didn't know how to handle it so it feels rather messy.
Strangely, the combat system doesn't feel like it progresses. You don't really get new moves that change things up, it's mostly that you hit harder or use less MP.
KH handled it pretty well with new abilities that drastically changed what you could do.
The health and magic system were also pretty bad. Magic feels like a pretty defining feature of the franchise so to be relegated to grenades and consumables seems wrong.

Im not sure how Japan took to the game, I know it sold pretty well world wide but I wonder if this is the way forward for the series.
NieR came out a few months later and had a better critical reception and was a surprise hit for Square Enix with likely a fraction of the dev time and budget.
Will be interesting to see what lessons they learned and what they'll focus on with their next game.

FF15 was made by the people who made Type 0, not KH.

FF16 is being made by the people who made FF14 so I doubt it will have any similarities in combat with 15 or Nier or KH.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
anyword about the the PS supply issues?? its been 2-3 week, if it was a miscalculation on MH power to sell units, by this time new shipments shall have arrived already

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Now I want to play FF XV.
FFXV is a really pretty game. Can't say his combat system is particularly good though. It works and looks great, but is as deep as a puddle.
But it's not one of the main issues with that game anyway, just disappointing in a way considering where XIII went with it.
FF15 was made by the people who made Type 0, not KH.

FF16 is being made by the people who made FF14 so I doubt it will have any similarities in combat with 15 or Nier or KH.

While there is a good possibility this is the case, it's better to say when it's speculation.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It makes no sense that PS4 is suffering from stock issues. Supply should have already been coming in.

When supply comes in what will PS4 even bounce back to?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Honestly i think PS4 won't have any boosts from the restock (like a +30K week as someone think) and just go back to his usual 20K avarange, or less in some bad weeks. PS4 doesn't have a pricedrop since 2016 in Japan, and i think that's starting to suffer a bit.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I don't think a price drop would help sales that much either. It's a short term thing to do and will only boost sales for a few weeks if the necessary software is 't There

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO's Ranking pre-orders, 2018 (April 09 - April 15)

company06.jpg

~ 1.200 stores

About ranking:
- N is the title that was not ranked in within last ranking
- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
- The ranking of the title is ranking by the total number including other models and bonus version
- Hardware order of multi titles is in order of hardware release date

01/01 [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 - April 26
01/01 [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 - April 26
02/04 [NSW] Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - May 03
03/07 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace - June 22
04/05 [PS4] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - May 24
04/05 [PS4] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - May 24
04/05 [PSV] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - May 24
04/05 [PSV] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - May 24
05/06 [PS4] Fate / EXTELLA LINK - June 07
05/06 [PSV] Fate / EXTELLA LINK - June 07
06/08 [PS4] New Gundam Breaker - June 21
07/09 [NSW] DARK SOULS REMASTERED - May 24
07/09 [PS4] DARK SOULS REMASTERED - May 24
08/19 [PS4] The Caligula Effect: Overdose - May 17
09/10 [PS4] Utawarerumono: A Lullaby For Those Who Are Scattered - April 26
09/10 [PSV] Utawarerumono: A Lullaby For Those Who Are Scattered - April 26
10/11 [NSW] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - April 26
11/12 [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II: Kai - April 26
12/13 [NSW] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy - April 26
13/14 [NSW] Cube Creator X - April 26
14/16 [3DS] The Dead Heat Breakers - April 26
15/17 [NSW] Octopath Traveler - July 13
16/18 [PS4] The Crew 2 - June 29
17/20 [PS4] Detroit: Become Human - May 25
18/22 [NSW] BLAZBLUE: CROSS TAG BATTLE - May 31
18/22 [PS4] BLAZBLUE: CROSS TAG BATTLE - May 31
19/21 [NSW] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - June 08
19/21 [3DS] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - June 08
20/23 [NSW] Rockman Classics Collection 1 + 2 - May 24
21/24 [PS4] Super Bomberman R - June 14
22/25 [PS4] Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares Wins - May 31
23/26 [PS4] Record of Grancrest War - June 14
24/27 [PS4] UNDERTALE - May 24
24/27 [PSV] UNDERTALE - May 24
25/28 [PS4] Life is Strange: Before the Storm - June 07
26/29 [NSW] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
26/29 [PS4] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
26/29 [PSV] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
27/ N [3DS] Etrian Odyssey X - August 02
28/31 [NSW] Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana - June 28
29/ N [NSW] Makai Senki Disgaea Refine (limited edition) - July 26
29/ N [PS4] Makai Senki Disgaea Refine (limited edition) - July 26
30/ N [NSW] Closed Nightmare - July 19
30/ N [PS4] Closed Nightmare - July 19

PS4: 20
NSW: 14
PSV: 7
3DS: 3

- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
2/02 [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy - Con 01: Variety Kit - April 20
02/02 [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy - Con 02: Robot Kit - April 20
03/03 [PS4] God of War - April 20
15/18 [PS4] METAL MAX Xeno - April 19
15/18 [PSV] METAL MAX Xeno - April 19
31/ R [NSW] Neo Atlas 1469 (guide book pack) - April 19
32/ R [NSW] Portal Knights - April 19

GEO's Ranking pre-orders, 2018 (April 02 - April 08)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/6603739/

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

gp30s92ylz001.gif

It's a fun game that looks great but in terms of combat depth? There's not much there. You can button mash through most encounters provided the level isn't too high

I enjoy the game more as a fun, simplistic action game.
As a big AAA JRPG though? Disappointment