• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 will sell 8M lifetime. Maybe even less. Nothing I read today about it seems appealing to the mass market in Japan and Sony distanced itself from japanese devs.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The ps5 sounds like an absolute beast. Those that can afford it in Japan will be in for a treat.

I thought the PS4 would do 10m+ in Japan and I'll go with 8m for the PS5.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
PS5 will sell 8M lifetime. Maybe even less. Nothing I read today about it seems appealing to the mass market in Japan and Sony distanced itself from japanese devs.

Lol what? How?

Note - I do not think PS5 will be a big success in Japan but I'm sure Japanese devs will be happy to throw as much support behind it as possible. Same as they did for PS4 coming off PS3 having a massive drop off from PS2

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the PS5 will likely be $499.

Do we think that Japan can easily support a 50000 yen console.

Can't believe Sony abandoned the pedophiles that made the Vita such a success (note, the Vita was not a success because the amount of pedo gamers is very small).

Lol, they couldn't just kill the Vita. They had to destroy its legacy too.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Bearing in mind that the transition from PS3 to PS4 was already at a glacial speed costing $ 400, at $ 500 it will be even slower.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Bearing in mind that the transition from PS3 to PS4 was already at a glacial speed costing $ 400, at $ 500 it will be even slower.
Cost hurts bad but backwards compatibility that PS4 never had helps out a lot too.
Maybe they'll even out and sales will be level with PS4 a.k.a ok but not great

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what? How?

Note - I do not think PS5 will be a big success in Japan but I'm sure Japanese devs will be happy to throw as much support behind it as possible. Same as they did for PS4 coming off PS3 having a massive drop off from PS2
The company is US based now and Sony doesn't care for anything japanese that isn't a huge seller in the west. Their focus is on big AAA experiences, japanese games are the bonus that give them a difference to Xbox, but it's not their focus. You don't see these games getting huge spotlights in their big presentations.

Also, neither PS3 or PS4 had great support at launch. You'll get some Capcom and Bamco games at launch, but mostly ports and smaller devs won't focus on it.

Beefy specs simply don't sell a system in Japan, even more if the price tag is as big as everyone expects. I think it will be a new low for them there as devs can't just adapt too fast for a 4K system like this (and it will probably not even matter considering their success in other countries).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Before even talking about the PS5, I'll be more interested to see in what state the PS4 will be in Japan in a year/a year and a half.

Sales are still great in the West and can sustain themselves well into 2020. The same couldn't be said about Japan.

It is important because software sales during the two first years of the PS4 were bad (partly because JP devs are so slooooow to move to next-gen). There won't be a PS3/PSV/PS4 trio this time around. It is going probably going to be PS4/Switch/PS5 for most games, meaning there will be less incentive to pay the premium price for a PS5.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How much does Japan care about a system's power? Are there any impressions regarding the PS5 details released today?

As someone from the outside, Japan has always struck me as more content oriented (as in content that appeals to them), but what do I know.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I'm kinda curious since PS4 got a new DQ, KH, MH, FF, Persona game and it's on pace with the PS3 at best.
PS5 to have success will need these quickly as possible.

Jan 2, 2018
I don't think BC is as big as some imagine.

Yeah, I agree. It's a great feature, but software is still the decisive factor when it comes to selling a console. BC is a nice bonus, but with a probably weak launch line-up in Japan and a high price tag I don't think BC will move the needle.

I'm kinda curious since PS4 got a new DQ, KH, MH, FF, Persona game and it's on pace with the PS3 at best.
PS5 to have success will need these quickly as possible.

The next installments (at least mainline) of Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Persona are probably years away. I think Monster Hunter could be the first of those franchises to arrive on the PS5.

Oct 26, 2017
How much does Japan care about a system's power? Are there any impressions regarding the PS5 details released today?

As someone from the outside, Japan has always struck me as more content oriented (as in content that appeals to them), but what do I know.

The PS5 will have faster loads and less pop-in than previously anticipated.

Oct 25, 2017

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With sony literally officially dropping PS5 details this will probably lower PS4 sales from here on out as in then just signeled that the PS4 is now old and busted. Do we know how its gonna be in Japan?

No release date for Japan yet, but damn, July is starting to get packed. Funny how a few years ago, releasing anything in July was unthinkable for Nintendo (in America).

My biethday month continues to get better

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
With low PS4 sales, no price decrease in sight, and a long time to wait for PS5 (it could like the PS4 be released here last) there is a bit of a vacuum.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's pre E3 announcements go pretty much as expected. Another shadow drop video or dedicated direct for Mario Maker before next Thursday and they are done until June.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently smash ultimate is back at number 1 on the US amazon store, hows Japan looking

Oct 29, 2017
PS5 sounds like its moving even further away from what Japan wants. Probably going to be even more expensive ($499.99 is the absolute minimum I see it going for; with $599.99 being very possible), even larger and even more power hungry than before.

No doubt Japanese developers will continue to absolutely flock to it and throw all of their games onto it while ignoring the Switch...

I still can't help but feel that Nintendo should wait another year before releasing the Switch Pro/2. They need something that'll be able to keep getting 3rd party support when the PS5 lands... N-vidia are well ahead of AMD when it comes to raytracing anyway! They should be able to provide Nintendo with something with RTX cores by then surely?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't help but feel that Nintendo should wait another year before releasing the Switch Pro/2. They need something that'll be able to keep getting 3rd party support when the PS5 lands... N-vidia are well ahead of AMD when it comes to raytracing anyway! They should be able to provide Nintendo with something with RTX cores by then surely?
Japan developers won't suddenly only develop high specs 4k games...

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If anything switch is gonna benefit for the 1st 2 years as alot of jp games will be releasing on switch while they will be slow to react on ps5

Oct 29, 2017
I actually don't think they'll be slow to move onto PS5 this time...

Japanese developers don't seem to care much about their domestic market at all anymore; and the PS4 is guaranteed to be dropped like a lead stone the instant that PS5 launches in the west. So I expect Japanese developers to follow suit... meaning that Switch will be left behind in the dust.

Remember that unlike with the transition from PS3-PS4; there isn't that big industry-wide fear that consoles are done and dusted; and that iPads and tablets are taking over the console market, like there was last time. Also, the transition is going to be very straightforward this time, since the PS5 is basically just a turbocharged PS4 Pro in terms of specs really. Only big new thing is raytracing; which is already a thing on PC anyway, and probably will take developers time to learn how to make the most of it. Otherwise, I expect a quick and smooth transition; that the current Switch will have no part of...

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Japanese developers don't seem to care much about their domestic market at all anymore; and the PS4 is guaranteed to be dropped like a lead stone the instant that PS5 launches in the west. So I expect Japanese developers to follow suit... meaning that Switch will be left behind in the dust.

Remember that unlike with the transition from PS3-PS4; there isn't that big industry-wide fear that consoles are done and dusted; and that iPads and tablets are taking over the console market, like there was last time. Also, the transition is going to be very straightforward this time, since the PS5 is basically just a turbocharged PS4 Pro in terms of specs really. Only big new thing is raytracing; which is already a thing on PC anyway, and probably will take developers time to learn how to make the most of it. Otherwise, I expect a quick and smooth transition; that the current Switch will have no part of...
Why would they stop developing games for the 150M+ userbases of PS4 + Switch just because a new less-friendly-to-develop console gets released? They'll have some ports and stuff, but adoption will be slow and I think the system will have a similar debut to the PS4 in Japan, price is just too high.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Publishers wont release their games on a console with 0 userbase.

It is true for Japan and the West but their biggest games will be cross-gen for two years.

Plus not a lot of JP publishers have the manpower to go after the 4K market, they are going to milk the switch and the PS4 as much as they can.

Oct 29, 2017
Why would they stop developing games for the 150M+ userbases of PS4 + Switch just because a new less-friendly-to-develop console gets released? They'll have some ports and stuff, but adoption will be slow and I think the system will have a similar debut to the PS4 in Japan, price is just too high.

The active userbase is going to die out on PS4 very quickly. It won't be like last time. There's no reason why the PS4 should last nearly as long post 2020 as the PS3 did post 2013; ESPECIALLY if PS5 is fully backwards compatible, it makes the PS4 literally completely redundant - so it should ensure a quick and smooth transition.

Oct 25, 2017
The active userbase is going to die out on PS4 very quickly. It won't be like last time. There's no reason why the PS4 should last nearly as long post 2020 as the PS3 did post 2013; ESPECIALLY if PS5 is fully backwards compatible, it makes the PS4 literally completely redundant - so it should ensure a quick and smooth transition.
So wait if the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible, why wouldn't they just keep the course and make PS4 games so then they can sell games on two platforms.

Oct 29, 2017
So wait if the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible, why wouldn't they just keep the course and make PS4 games so then they can sell games on two platforms.

Because people want new, shiny games on their new, shiny platform?

Sure, you'll get PS4 releases throughout the first year or so. But come 2022? PS4 will be dead as a doornail.

Nintendo has until then to get a new model of the Switch out there that can handle PS5 ports at least as well as the current Switch handles PS4 games.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said that they're all going to PS5... Microsoft also have a very good chance at stealing a big chunk of that audience...
That would basically invalidate the idea of japanese devs moving so fast even more. They sell much more in any other non-Xbox platform.

I also think you're ignoring the japanese market too much. While a lot of devs focus in the west, the PS5 won't be adopted fast in Japan and Xbox will be a non-presence as usual. At the same time Switch will have over 10M+ units out there and a good worldwide performance too, they can focus on that and PS4 for years, they don't have the manpower and tech to just drop these systems so fast for the 4K systems.

Oct 29, 2017
That would basically invalidate the idea of japanese devs moving so fast even more. They sell much more in any other non-Xbox platform.

I also think you're ignoring the japanese market too much. While a lot of devs focus in the west, the PS5 won't be adopted fast in Japan and Xbox will be a non-presence as usual. At the same time Switch will have over 10M+ units out there and a good worldwide performance too, they can focus on that and PS4 for years, they don't have the manpower and tech to just drop these systems so fast for the 4K systems.

Oh no, I'm sure that PS5 adoption in Japan will be dead slow... But that won't stop Japanese devs from moving over. They have largely given up on their domestic market now (only thing that matters there is mobile as far as they're concerned).

Their utter failure to capitalise on Switch is a testament to how little they now care about their domestic market.

Xbox will be a non-presence in Japan sure; but that won't be the case in the west. And Microsoft are well poised to take the crown from Sony there; they've positioned themselves very well for the next generation and I definitely wouldn't imagine them to repeat their past mistakes with the Xbone. There's a very real chance that they could come out swinging with another 360 calibre success; meaning that Japanese devs may well have another viable option this time around in the west.

I expect this transition to be swift in the west; and that's all that matters now. Japanese developers will trip over themselves to jump on board the next-gen train this time. Nintendo needs an answer if they want to be still be part of the cool kids club; otherwise, they are getting dumped along with the PS4/Xbone.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Was expecting the Smash DLC to be released in time for GW (so next week), but guess they prefered to get an extra week before it in case they need to push a patch.

With a full year of DLC on the way, Smash isn't going to leave the Top 20 Software any time soon.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Oh no, I'm sure that PS5 adoption in Japan will be dead slow... But that won't stop Japanese devs from moving over. They have largely given up on their domestic market now (only thing that matters there is mobile as far as they're concerned).

Their utter failure to capitalise on Switch is a testament to how little they now care about their domestic market.

Xbox will be a non-presence in Japan sure; but that won't be the case in the west. And Microsoft are well poised to take the crown from Sony there; they've positioned themselves very well for the next generation and I definitely wouldn't imagine them to repeat their past mistakes with the Xbone. There's a very real chance that they could come out swinging with another 360 calibre success; meaning that Japanese devs may well have another viable option this time around in the west.

I expect this transition to be swift in the west; and that's all that matters now. Japanese developers will trip over themselves to jump on board the next-gen train this time. Nintendo needs an answer if they want to be still be part of the cool kids club; otherwise, they are getting dumped along with the PS4/Xbone.
I agree with you and expect it to go further.

They'll not give up on the Japanese market, they'll try and force it to adopt PS5, or pretend Japan will 'get on board with it' as part of their decision process for Japan-centric games. I wouldn't rule out the likes of Dragon Quest etc to be pushed on PS5.

What I found somewhat dodgy was all the Japanese games that were not Sony moneyhatted (like SF5), but skipped Xbone. They had no problem putting everything on PS3 even when its sales were pitiful and they performed worse on it, so why skip the Xbone which was basically the exact same system (x86+AMD), much easier to port to than PS3 was? Was it Xenophobia?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you and expect it to go further.

They'll not give up on the Japanese market, they'll try and force it to adopt PS5, or pretend Japan will 'get on board with it' as part of their decision process for Japan-centric games. I wouldn't rule out the likes of Dragon Quest etc to be pushed on PS5.

What I found somewhat dodgy was all the Japanese games that were not Sony moneyhatted (like SF5), but skipped Xbone. They had no problem putting everything on PS3 even when its sales were pitiful and they performed worse on it, so why skip the Xbone which was basically the exact same system (x86+AMD), much easier to port to than PS3 was? Was it Xenophobia?

I don't remember any semi big Japanese game skipping XBO? (Well outside of Persona) Even Nier Automata eventually made it to the platform. With smaller games it just probably doesn't make sense to port games to the XBO even if it's pretty cheap. Usual sales split for Japanese games between XBO and PS4 is even worse than the actual userbase difference. When you are talking about sales in only few thousands the port doesn't make sense.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I think the backwards compatibility is huge for the ps5. If it didn't have it sales could be super slow. But instead it launches with an excellent library.

I do think the ps4 gets a price cut very soon. Days Gone is next week. I've a feeling we'll get the long over due permanent cut in May or June.

Any Japanese third party who has aspirations of doing well WW will support the ps5. Many will also launch on ps4. This gen has been quite positive for these devs despite the Japanese Market continuing it's slow decline overall. Very positive growth for them in Asia and the west. They'll want that to continue.

The ps5 sounds like it will be a monster so anything that is made to utilise it's power won't be easily ported to anything that's not the next gen xbox or the pc.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I think the question is not if Japanese 3rd Party will support it but how they will (in the cross-gen period, or before NSW2). Will they up-port PS4/NSW versions or will they make "proper PS5 games" and maybe down-port them to the PS4/NSW, trying to capitalize on the existing user base? Personally, I think the former is more likely for anything below "AAA games" that are made for the west from the start. And I expect those games to still do well on all available platforms if the gameplay is good.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The ps5 sounds like it will be a monster so anything that is made to utilise it's power won't be easily ported to anything that's not the next gen xbox or the pc.

As an aside, I'm never quite comfortable with treating "the PC" as a single monolithic all-powerful entity in this sort of comparison; it doesn't take into account that there's PC users still quite happily rocking 360-level systems who'd also be an audience not catered for by this. Heck, I'm in that group myself currently (although there's probably an upgrade on the cards for me in the next year or so!)

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I think the question is not if Japanese 3rd Party will support it but how they will (in the cross-gen period, or before NSW2). Will they up-port PS4/NSW versions or will they make "proper PS5 games" and maybe down-port them to the PS4/NSW, trying to capitalize on the existing user base? Personally, I think the former is more likely for anything below "AAA games" that are made for the west from the start. And I expect those games to still do well on all available platforms if the gameplay is good.

Switch won't be in the plans for any major titles even if it can be made to run the game. Kinda like now.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Switch won't be in the plans for any major titles even if it can be made to run the game. Kinda like now.

I was talking about PS4/NSW simultaneously, but I did not mean that all those games would come to both of them. How also do not specify what you mean with major titles. Only AAA games, or also AA games from big publishers? Only Japan or worldwide?

Also, non-AAA developers now have to ask themselves if they want to take the risk (time and budget) to develop a "next-gen-only" game that will be hard to down-port if the PS5 does not take off quickly in Japan (and the West) or if they go the "safe" route and "up-port" the PS5 version from the PS4 version or even start with the NSW version.
It's all conjecture in the end, we will have to wait and see. IMHO, the "up-port"-route is likely for many developers, especially if they also target the PC audience (which not many/all developers do, I know). I agree with the post above that many people have a PC that is not nearly as powerful as next-gen will be and you do not want to leave those customers behind.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
No way Japanese companies will jump on PS5 that quickly. Most of them lack the tech and manpower for 4K development. They will continue to make PS4/NSW games and people with a PS5 can still play them with BC. Only big companies like Capcom will be fully on board because of their vision to compete with western AAA developers.

Just some personal thoughts. Even though some details of PS5 are out, I will still pick up a PS4 Pro (expecting price reduction soon) for Sakura Wars rather than waiting for PS5 with BC. I generally don't have much interest in Sony's exclusives and if I want to play big 3rd titles, I can do them on PC. So I have no rush to jump into PS5.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Strong week for NSW, 54k is well above week 15 last year (32k). PS4 is nearly the same as last year (both 12k), but the split is different (Pro was 2k last year).

EDIT: Week 15, 2018 Last year had the release of Snack World (and some Kirby legs), which really shows how much higher the baseline is now (or Labo is a system seller ;-) ). Did the Switch have any deals last week?

new thread already up

Last edited: