• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
How many months before Kirby reach 1 million in jpn if it ever stays at 20k ? 30 months or something ? Weren't people being overly optimistic with this one ?

And yeah, Worlds legs are not good. Might change with the Golden week though.

You're speaking about MHW, right ? Should the game not having legs matter that much at this point though ? The game is at 3 millions or something counting digital in jpn, it crushed every expectations with a palm strike to the chest and is at a ratio of ~50% of the total of PS4 install base in jpn. It's obvious the game not having leg isn't a problem, at all.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the reality of the situation so people will stop get into mindless debats for pages and pages :

- Yes, PS4 is suffering some stock issues.
- Yes, numbers would be higher without said stock issues.
- No, numbers wouldn't be massively higher even with proper stock.
- No, PS4's low numbers aren't entirely due to stock issues but also due to the usual pre-golden week drop and a bad software schedule for the rest of the year.
- Yes, PS4 numbers will go slightly higher once there's more stock, that and the usual golden week boost.
- No, it won't jump massively high once the stock is there because it was already not doing big numbers anyway.

Now we can move on.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Code:
Week 15 2018:
Switch HW - 36.308(-9%)
Switch SW - 107.478(+8%)

Snack World - 35K(new)
Kirby - 23K(-33%)
Splatoon 2 - 18K(-14%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 12K(-10%)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 6K(-18%)
Super Mario Odyssey - 6K(-16%)

Code:
Week 15 2012:
3DS HW - 63.796(-11%)
3DS SW - 97.803(-33%)

Kingdom Hearts 3D - 20K(-50%)
Super Mario 3D Land - 18K(-18%)
Kid Icarus: Uprising - 15K(-41%)
Monster Hunter 3G - 15K(-10%)
Mario Kart 7 - 12K(-24%)
Mario & Sonic - 8K(-20%)

Code:
Week 16 2012:
3DS HW - 84.760(+32%)
3DS SW - 338.959(+246%)

Fire Emblem: Awakening - 242K(new)
Code of Princess - 19K(new)
Super Mario 3D Land - 14K(-20%)
Monster Hunter 3G - 13K(-13%)
Kingdom Hearts 3D - 12K(-39%)
Kid Icarus: Uprising - 10K(-28%)
Mario Kart 7 - 10K(-11%)

Overall a good week for Switch software sales due to the launch of Snack World despite hardware sales falling another 9% this week.
Next week should be interesting - in terms of both how much hardware Nintendo supply's and how much software Labo sales. I also expect with the potentially larger hardware supply certain games to see a boost pre-Golden Week, namely Kirby, Splatoon 2, MK8D - while for Snack World I expect a 50-65% drop WoW.
In terms of the 3DS it had FE:A launch in week 16 which ended up the 2nd best selling game launched on the 3DS during the first half of 2012.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The trackers reported that it was indeed supply constrained last week, but I don't think we have any explicit confirmation that it's still supply constrained this week, outside of it being unlikely that stock was resolved over just one week.

Ok thanks mate. All I can say is that this past weekend and the one before, you could casually walk in a big electronic store in shibuya and come out with a PS4, pro or slim. This is purely anecdotal again, but if there was a shortage, I wouldn't expect such central outlets to have any stock, that's all...

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Here's the reality of the situation so people will stop get into mindless debats for pages and pages :

- No, PS4's low numbers aren't entirely due to stock issues but also due to the usual pre-golden week drop and a bad software schedule for the rest of the year.
- Yes, PS4 numbers will go slightly higher once there's more stock, that and the usual golden week boost.
- No, it won't jump massively high once the stock is there because it was already not doing big numbers anyway.

Now we can move on.
You say this but I assue you this discussion will continue in at least a few more pages.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Now we can move on.

Can we pin this post?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many months before Kirby reach 1 million in jpn if it ever stays at 20k ? 30 months or something ? Weren't people being overly optimistic with this one ?

You're speaking about MHW, right ? Should the game not having legs matter that much at this point though ? The game is at 3 millions or something counting digital in jpn, it crushed every expectations with a palm strike to the chest and is at a ratio of ~50% of the total of PS4 install base in jpn. It's obvious the game not having leg isn't a problem, at all.
While performance is very very very good, it's not at 3M and I don't think these comparisons are ever fair ignoring the past entries digital numbers.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017

If it sold an average of 20k per week moving forward, it would take 30 weeks, not 30 months.

I predicted it would sell 1m LTD. Kirby games sell for years, which is something I considered. Define overly optimistic.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
About in line with that I expected from Snack World.

It's possible that they have reshuffled units around to beef up the western market's supply. There's nothing significant in the horizon for Japan, so a hypothetical reallocation could make perfect sense.

I've also seen some theories floating around that Japanese retailers might be suspecting a price drop, and want to keep their stock as low as possible. Not so sure about that though, because a price drop in Japan is going to make people anticipate one in other regions as well, and those regions will not have difficulty setting units thanks to the upcoming God of War.

Dont know if it will be a global/Continental/Country/Store thing but in Portugal there is a consistent rumor that at 20 April (GoW launch) both PS4 and PS4 Pro will have a 50 € price cut.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In the grand scheme or thing, no, it doesn't matter, it already overperformed at launch and in the western territories. Still worth point out that this sales pattern isn't reflected in the legs of that game.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
If Sony can't get more than 10K units to Japan then that's pretty pathetic. Wasn't the Switch still hitting 20K during it's early production issues? Sony has been making these for 4 years and shouldn't be having shortages.
I suppose that Sony is shipping all the units they can to places where people will actually buy it to play God of War.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
If it sold an average of 20k per week moving forward, it would take 30 weeks, not 30 months.

I predicted it would sell 1m LTD. Kirby games sell for years, which is something I considered. Define overly optimistic.

Kirby will get a big boost during Holiday weeks since it's very popular with kids. I am not worried that it will reach the 1 M.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Without digital (since the earlier ones had no digital, and the ones after didn't have high digital attach rates). I'm just trying to see if the proportionate drops are comparable.

Here are a couple of games at roughly the same amount of time on the market, presented without context.

[3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800) - 7.660 / 2.691.475 (-14%)
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 12.318 / 2.440.373 (-21%)

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017

Now we can move on.

Finally a message with sense.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby will surpass 500K by mid-May, even if it sells under 10K during rest of May, June and July it should be >600K by the time Obon rolls around. Personally I think it will hit 1M by the end of 2018, since it will get a bigger boost during Obon/December compared to what Zelda received in 2017.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I suppose that Sony is shipping all the units they can to places where people will actually buy it to play God of War.
she but this will imply they have shortage of stock ergo prioritize other zones, there is no reason for PS4 to have shortage of stock, 4-5 years out already in the market, and we have not heard of any specific part being short too like it was the Switch case

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor opening for snack world.
Kirby, splatoon 2 and farcry 5 continuing to show legs.
Ninokuni 2 edging its way closer to 100k and monster hunter: world broke past 2 million.

Both consoles continuing to decline.
I had spoken in private that ps4 might eventually be sub 10k by the summer but we might see that sooner than I initially thought. Hopefully it's more that they are getting ready for a new retail variant or are getting ready to lower the price and are trying to clear retail channels first.

Overall another uneventful week.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here are a couple of games at roughly the same amount of time on the market, presented without context.

[3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥5.800) - 7.660 / 2.691.475 (-14%)
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 12.318 / 2.440.373 (-21%)
Thanks. Best I can tell, World seems to be doing fine? A fair bit lower than X and 4U (but to counter that, if I am not wrong, it is believed that ~1 million units were sold digitally, right?). I don't understand why there is the sentiment its legs are not that impressive (but I may just be lacking context).

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

That's extremely good for Monster Hunter World. The game did very good compared to those 3DS versions. Must be close to 3 million with digital.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
If the 80% sell-through for Snack World is accurate week 2 should be good if Level-5 and Nintendo can keep the shelves stocked up. Anime still has 2 more weeks left so after the finale there might be some kids wanting to get the game. We'll see.

2 PS4 games the only games to see bumps.

Switch hold is good.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks! So pretty good in the end.

And why is that exactly?
Except for specific circumstances, like price cuts or new models incoming, 59k for overall hardware sales must be among all-time lows, doesn't it? Labo is the only software I can see having any strong impact on hardware sales for a looong time so if it bombs...

Last edited:

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top Selling Games M-C 2018:

1) Monster Hunter: World(Capcom) - 2.003.054
2) Splatoon 2(Nintendo) - 467.435
3) Kirby Star Allies(Nintendo) - 416.108
4) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe(Nintendo)- 340.457
5) Super Mario Odyssey(Nintendo) - 293.699
6) Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon(Pokemon Co.) - 207.249
7) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild(Nintendo) - 183.382
8) Like the North Star(Sega) - 163.636
9) Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle(Ubisoft) - 163.605
10) Dynasty Warriors 9(Koei Tecmo) - 156.737

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
there is no reason for PS4 to have shortage of stock, 4-5 years out already in the market,
Sure, if you ignore the fact the biggest exclusive for Sony this year is coming out in a couple of days. And the ps4 was out of stock multiple times during times where it was in high demand.
and we have not heard of any specific part being short too like it was the Switch case
GoW isn't released yet tho. Unless you have a better explanation on why Sony isn't sending more PS4s to Japan, Other than Sony stocking PS4s in warehouses for no reason? The production has to go somewhere and unless Sony decided to just cut production of PS4 just before the release of GoW it's safe to assume other territories are being prioritized over Japan right now.
they do,if the console is appealing to them
Like? The PS4 had every large third party in Japan released on it (DQ, FF, MH) and yet didn't explode.
Yes but also Sony doesn't care. They would have at least dropped the price if they did.
True, but it's probably better to sell it at its current price than to lose 50$ or a 100$ from every unit and gain a temporally surge that is going to die down quickly.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Top Selling Games M-C 2018:

1) Monster Hunter: World(Capcom) - 2.003.054
2) Splatoon 2(Nintendo) - 467.435
3) Kirby Star Allies(Nintendo) - 416.108
4) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe(Nintendo)- 340.457
5) Super Mario Odyssey(Nintendo) - 293.699
6) Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon(Pokemon Co.) - 207.249
7) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild(Nintendo) - 183.382
8) Like the North Star(Sega) - 163.636
9) Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle(Ubisoft) - 163.605
10) Dynasty Warriors 9(Koei Tecmo) - 156.737
Yeah - outside of MHW alot of PS4 games have been somewhat underperforming.
Sony probably hoped for a scenario where MHW would push the whole eco system, not that all other titles suffer because of it...

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Steins;Gate 0 is back thanks to the anime now airing.

That answers my question before I even post it, nice.

Don't fall for the anime, people! It's a bad game!

Phew, I thought it was just me! It took forever to get going (and the first Steins;Gate already is "gets good 8 hours in territory" to boot with), and then was like: lol, now play everything again.
I'm not mad, it's just not a very fun VN, and I say that as someone who really liked Steins;Gate.

Eh I thought it was alright. Features the best Steins;Gate character as well.

Is she... wearing a shoe made out of cheese? What am I looking at here?

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
she but this will imply they have shortage of stock ergo prioritize other zones, there is no reason for PS4 to have shortage of stock, 4-5 years out already in the market, and we have not heard of any specific part being short too like it was the Switch case

Yeah, not sure why they're not able to ship more units to places for GoW and still ship enough to Japan. I guess Sony is shipping what they expect to sell in Japan.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Sure, if you ignore the fact the biggest exclusive for Sony this year is coming out in a couple of days. And the ps4 was out of stock multiple times during times where it was in high demand.

GoW isn't released yet tho. Unless you have a better explanation on why Sony isn't sending more PS4s to Japan, Other than Sony stocking PS4s in warehouses for no reason? The production has to go somewhere and unless Sony decided to just cut production of PS4 just before the release of GoW it's safe to assume other territories are being prioritized over Japan right now.

Like? The PS4 had every large third party in Japan released on it (DQ, FF, MH) and yet didn't explode.

True, but it's probably better to sell it at its current price than to lose 50$ or a 100$ from every unit and gain a temporally surge that is going to die down quickly.
there is no reason to believe they are prioritizing other regions except Sony not giving a damn about Japan given we have not hear other regions having stock issues, its been 4 years worth of manufacturing and building stock + almost 1 month since 1st started to circulate news/ reports of the stock issues. so sony had time to ships a new batch

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Best I can tell, World seems to be doing fine? A fair bit lower than X and 4U (but to counter that, if I am not wrong, it is believed that ~1 million units were sold digitally, right?). I don't understand why there is the sentiment its legs are not that impressive (but I may just be lacking context).
Drop is bigger than any other first entry for a MonHun gen. It won't get close to Portable 3rd or 4 sales. Which isn't really a problem considering global growth. Legs are small for a MonHun game in Japan, but decent considering it's a PS4 game (not a very popular system).

Oct 29, 2017
Well at least Switch surpassed PS4 for a modicum of excitement. Slowest week of the year? I don't think it's stock shortages either now that the ratio of PS4:Pro is back to a big advantage for the regular PS4.

Next week should be good though. Very interesting what will happen.