• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
KH3 won't, I'm quite sure of that. I still think it will sell something like 1M LTD in Japan, the production-value alone is crazy and the fanbase is quite crazy, but it wouldn't be wise to expect it to push PS4 forward. Even MHW didn't help that much.
I think that's too much for KH3 imo. I would expect decline.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
KH3 wont have the effect of DQ or MH on Hardware as it is never that big in JP. It probably would give some medium bump for hardware but it wont be anything significant.

Price cut is the only big push Sony can do to push PS4 number in JP here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Are we going to do this every month?
If it comes, it'll probably be Q1 or Q2 or 2019

Not sure what you guys want 3 months after release dang
Nothing short of clairvoyance is expected.

While the data shows that developers in general are supporting the Switch, and many with better support than PS4 had in it's first and second year, many people have a hard time separating their present feelings from the actual data.

So the place many people feel the Switch should be in regards to support is as if it were released 4 years ago. I imagine some people will continue to cry doom, lack of support, and neglect for Switch until it has the entire PS4 library+1.

Don't get me wrong, I want as many good games as soon as possible on the Switch as well, however I realize that these things take time.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing short of clairvoyance is expected.

While the data shows that developers in general are supporting the Switch, and many with better support than PS4 had in it's first and second year, many people have a hard time separating their present feelings from the actual data.

So the place many people feel the Switch should be in regards to support is as if it were released 4 years ago. I imagine some people will continue to cry doom, lack of support, and neglect for Switch until it has the entire PS4 library+1.

Don't get me wrong, I want as many good games as soon as possible on the Switch as well, however I realize that these things take time.
Was the PS4 missing PS360 multiplatform games or was there just fewer 3rd party games around that time?
Just hard to think of many major titles releasing in November 2014 out on PS3 and 360 but no PS4 or Xbox One

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Was the PS4 missing PS360 multiplatform games or was there just fewer 3rd party games around that time?
Just hard to think of many major titles releasing in November 2014 out on PS3 and 360 but no PS4 or Xbox One
Sorry, I really have no idea about the West, in Japan I think the first game that may have been worth owning was Ryuu ga Gotoku 0? Next was Dragon Quest Heroes about a year after the PS4's release?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't think it is a clear cut case of "it takes time."

We don't know what it takes.

Support for platforms grow in ways specific to that platform. There isn't some "it took PS4 this long to get X, so Switch will get X in ~that time too. Wait." Moreover, development is simply not in the same place at different far-flung launches and nor is the the lay of the land wrt all the various hardware.

In some sense, yes, wait and see what the whole picture will be but we should keep an eye on what support Switch is getting and where other support streams it could get are going and if they do start including Switch or not. Which, maybe they will in time but support doesn't come purely as a function of time and never has.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
KH3 wont have the effect of DQ or MH on Hardware as it is never that big in JP. It probably would give some medium bump for hardware but it wont be anything significant.

Price cut is the only big push Sony can do to push PS4 number in JP here.

Even a price-cut won't do much. I doubt people are favouring Switch to the PS4 because of the price.

I think that's too much for KH3 imo. I would expect decline.

Insane production-value, great graphics, nostalgia, solid fan-base, Nomura and Utada will help for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Insane production-value, great graphics, nostalgia, solid fan-base, Nomura and Utada will help for sure.
Kingdom Hearts 2 sold about 1.1 million in Japan after a year. Considering this has been more than a decade ago, I can't actually tell whether or not the current fanbase in Japan still makes up that amount, even with the recent rereleases.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even a price-cut won't do much. I doubt people are favouring Switch to the PS4 because of the price.

Price cut+KH3 one two punch may not make it sell gang busters but it should give it moderate bump there.

On KH selling 1 million i am sceptical here as it had been so long since a new KH mainline and of course lack of multiplayer.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
30./27. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle <SLG> (Nintendo) {2018.01.18} (¥5.980) - 1.350 / 190.861 <80-100%> (-26%)

Do we know if this game is a WW million seller? I thought that it would do 100k max in japan.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from the switch discussion on dragon ball, should we expect Bandai to stick more with 3d fighter games more than 2d ones?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
There's always a core JRPG audience that will support all high quality JRPGs, but DQ usually sold way beyond that audience. Young generationhas have grown up without DQ nostalgia, and there's nothing anyone can do to bring them back. Its best chance is mobile, which is what SE's doing. I bet Star of DQ has more users and brings more profit to SE than DQXI.

?

DQIX was released in 2009 and sold 4.3m units.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was 9 years ago now. Preteens probably weren't playing games when that came out.

Nah. DQ11 is simply more undesirable product vs DQ9. DQ9 had online which would push more people into buying the game as there is incentive to keep playing so that they can stay with that group friend conversation.

DQ11 sadly don't have that which is why that is how much it will do.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Anecdote; all my students (ages 6-12) know DQ and some even have opinions about why 4 or 5 or 9 is the best.

I won't say that it has or has not decreased in popularity (I don't think it has, I agree with casiopao), however it isn't something unknown or foreign to Japanese youth
that would be FF.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DQIX came out in 2009. DQX is a MMO so naturally most people never got to play it. DQXI came out in 2017. That's eight years. Think about how much you changed between eight and sixteen. Back then DQ was the MH or the Splatoon among young players, now it isn't, and it will never be again.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DQIX came out in 2009. DQX is a MMO so naturally most people never got to play it. DQXI came out in 2017. That's eight years. Think about how much you changed between eight and sixteen. Back then DQ was the MH or the Splatoon among young players, now it isn't, and it will never be again.
Dragon Quest Battle Royale on Mobile!

actually, a real-time DQ (or any action rpg) game would work as a battle royale

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Do you think they just squandered potential? The series still seems to be able to pull big numbers. But I suppose they waited too long on DQ11 and he platform mix left much to be desired.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you think they just squandered potential? The series still seems to be able to pull big numbers. But I suppose they waited too long on DQ11 and he platform mix left much to be desired.
There are definitely missteps on SE's part. But look at the videogame market we have right now in Japan and the rest of the world, single player games have been on a downward trend since forever unless it's a huge open world game.

Back then people finish one game and move on to the next. Now they look at Splatoon, MH, FGO, PUBG and ask "what should I play today?" There simply aren't as much room left for other games, especially in the casual crowd.

With an install base in Japan that's already bigger than the Wii U, it seems poised for a decent opening and reasonable legs.
And the new easy mode might be able to attract people that were turned away by the difficulty.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
There are definitely missteps on SE's part. But look at the videogame market we have right now in Japan and the rest of the world, single player games have been on a downward trend since forever unless it's a huge open world game.

Back then people finish one game and move on to the next. Now they look at Splatoon, MH, FGO, PUBG and ask "what should I play today?" There simply aren't as much room left for other games, especially in the casual crowd.

I wonder though, you think if they added multiplayer it would have helped? I understand single player games are dying to an extent but the brand is still pretty big right? It could have a Breath of the Wild second wind if they really go all in with it I imagine.

Seems like to have multi million legs you need to be either:

1) Mario
2) Have Multiplayer

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder though, you think if they added multiplayer it would have helped? I understand single player games are dying to an extent but the brand is still pretty big right? It could have a Breath of the Wild second wind if they really go all in with it I imagine.

Seems like to have multi million legs you need to be either:

1) Mario
2) Have Multiplayer
Multiplayer element will help for sure. DQIX's success was partly due to multiplayer element. But you can only add so much multiplayer element to a single player RPG, while games like MH and Splatoon are fundamentally multiplayer oriented.

BotW is not good comparison here. Even with the increased sales, Zelda is still nowhere near DQ in Japan. I can't think of an instance of a multi-million franchise recovering from decline in Japan.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
There are very few companies that know how to make good anime 2D fighting game, meanwhile Dimps can release a buckload of games every year.

Dimps did develop SFIV and the early DBZ games on PS2 were pretty good. It's not like they don't know make a good 2D/2.5D fighter.

It's just for some reason everyone went 3D. It worked though. CC2's 3D Naruto games sold better than their 2D ones and the same for Dimps' DBZ games it would seem.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Multiplayer element will help for sure. DQIX's success was partly due to multiplayer element. But you can only add so much multiplayer element to a single player RPG, while games like MH and Splatoon are fundamentally multiplayer oriented.

BotW is not good comparison here. Even with the increased sales, Zelda is still nowhere near DQ in Japan. I can't think of an instance of a multi-million franchise recovering from decline in Japan.

BOTW comparison was less about the size of the franchise and more about how reinvention can help you build sales aagin. It's the first Zelda to cross a million in 20 years. But since DQ12 wont be for like another 4 years I guess it's a moot talking point anyway.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BOTW comparison was less about the size of the franchise and more about how reinvention can help you build sales aagin. It's the first Zelda to cross a million in 20 years. But since DQ12 wont be for like another 4 years I guess it's a moot talking point anyway.
It's easier to make a middle size franchise grow big. It's a lot harder to make an already huge franchise grow bigger because you need to deal with casual gamers and they are very hard to catch.

Basically, if your franchise is not big, your biggest concern should be to make a great game. CS3 would sell better if CS2 didn't suck ass. P5 and Nier Automata sold well because they are great games. BotW made the breakthrough because it's the best Zelda since...maybe OoT? It surely is the highest rated one since OoT.

But if you want to grow a multi-million franchise, your biggest concern should be what the general population like. Here you are not just selling your games to hardcore gamers, you are selling to millions of casual gamers who maybe only play four games in total. You need to convince them to give your game a chance, and it's exceptional hard to do so. Usually if you lose their attention, you will never get it back .

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

DQ never had an audience who was skewed towards a younger age—it was never a kid franchise. Being so popular I'm pretty sure it attracted a lot of kids but its audience has always been quite heterogeneous. In fact, DQ has such a strong legacy that is known to be popular among older people.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much do you think PS4 would have sold on a weekly basis in March/April without stock issues?

graph.png

Its clear to see how stock has led to a sharper decline. Somewhere near to 20k would be what I expect unlike these past few weeks.

To the best of my knowledge we do not have any trackers this week noting shortages. Of course, its possible there are some shortages- there are also anecdotes in this thread about Switch being sold out ,etc. But we're quibbling over like three thousand units.

The massive markup on PS4 console prices alongside with stock issues last week and anecdotes is ample enough to show that there are still stock issues.

Thats a poor comparison.
As said many times when this comparison was made, it largely depends on software pipelines of publishers. When you're 3 years into a gen you can fall back on your previous releases.

A more apt comparison would be seeing the releases this year and noting how many of those are missed.

PS4 missed a lot in 2014, a few in 2015 and got most in 2016 from the numbers I posted a while ago.
SW has seems to have missed a lot in 2017 and 2018, though I haven't checked the total number of missed titles for SW.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DQ never had an audience who was skewed towards a younger age—it was never a kid franchise. Being so popular I'm pretty sure it attracted a lot of kids but its audience has always been quite heterogeneous. In fact, DQ has such a strong legacy that is known to be popular among older people.
DQ was popular among young people. Older people get out of gaming so you always need fresh blood to maintain the playerbase. Now it's clear the old generations are fading out and there're not enough young fans to negate the loss.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 17, 2018 (Apr 23 - Apr 29)

new releases

{2018.04.24}
[XB1] Runestone Keeper _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (E-Home Entertainment Developerment) (¥0)

{2018.04.25}
[3DS] Sanrio Characters Picross _3DS Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Jupiter) (¥648)

{2018.04.26}
[3DS] Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥4.980)
[3DS] Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥4.980)
[PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 <SPT> (Konami) (¥6.980)
[PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <SPT> (Konami) (¥6.980)
[PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Digital Deluxe Edition) <SPT> (Konami) (¥8.980)
[PSV] Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.800)
[PSV] Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta (1)(Premium Edition) <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥9.800)
[PSV] Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta (2)(Aqua Plus Limited Box) <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥29.800)
[PSV] Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.000)
[PSV] Utawarerumono Trilogy Box {Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta \ Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception \ Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth} <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥15.800)
[PSV] Utawarerumono Trilogy Set {Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta \ Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception \ Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth} (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥12.000)
[PSV] Natsuiro Kokoro Log <ADV> (Dramatic Create) (¥6.900)
[PSV] Natsuiro Kokoro Log (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Dramatic Create) (¥6.400)
[PSV] Doukoku Soshite… # <ADV> (El Dia) (¥6.800)
[PSV] Doukoku Soshite… (Limited Edition) <ADV> (El Dia) (¥7.800)
[PSV] Doukoku Soshite… (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (El Dia) (¥5.800)
[PSV] Tengai ni Mau, Iki na Hana # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.300)
[PSV] Tengai ni Mau, Iki na Hana (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.300)
[PSV] Tengai ni Mau, Iki na Hana (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥5.800)
[PSV] NadeRevo! Nadeshiko Revolution # <ADV> (Entergram) (¥5.980)
[PSV] NadeRevo! Nadeshiko Revolution (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Entergram) (¥7.980)
[PSV] NadeRevo! Nadeshiko Revolution (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Entergram) (¥4.611)
[NSW] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis for Nintendo Switch <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800)
[NSW] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis for Nintendo Switch (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800)
[NSW] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy for Nintendo Switch <Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm \ Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 \ Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3> <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800)
[NSW] Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.500)
[NSW] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.500)
[NSW] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥2.500)
[NSW] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy for Nintendo Switch {Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm \ Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 \ Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3} (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.800)
[NSW] Cube Creator X <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥3.200)
[NSW] Cube Creator X (ε) _Nintendo eShop Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Arc System Works) (¥2.222)
[NSW] Korg Gadget for Nintendo Switch _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Detune) (¥4.629)
[NSW] Penny-Punching Princess _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥4.762)
[NSW] The Longest 5 Minutes _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥2.857)
[NSW] Class of Heroes: Anniversary Edition _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Acquire) (¥2.759)
[NSW] Ayakashi Koigikyoku _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Digimerce) (¥2.759)
[NSW] Kanazawa Shogi: Level 300 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <TBL> (Unbalance) (¥1.833)
[NSW] Max: The Curse of Brotherhood _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Rainy Frog) (¥1.388)
[NSW] Jotun: Valhalla Edition _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Thunder Lotus Games) (¥1.370)
[NSW] Vesta _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (EastAsiaSoft) (¥1.000)
[NSW] Hototogisu Tairan: 1553 Ryuuko Aiutsu _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <TBL> (Granzella) (¥925)
[NSW] Buddy Collection if: Red String of Destiny _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (PLiCy) (¥800)
[NSW] Woodle Tree Adventures Deluxe _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Chubby Pixel) (¥555)
[NSW] 12 Orbits _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ACT> (Roman Uhlig) (¥222)
[NSW] SkyPeace _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ETC> (Sonic Powered) (¥92)
[NSW] ACA NeoGeo: Ghost Pilots _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <STG> (Hamster) (¥762)
[PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 <SPT> (Konami) (¥7.980)
[PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <SPT> (Konami) (¥7.980)
[PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Digital Deluxe Edition) <SPT> (Konami) (¥9.980)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta (1)(Premium Edition) <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥9.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta (2)(Aqua Plus Limited Box) <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥29.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥6.000)
[PS4] Utawarerumono Trilogy Box {Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta \ Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception \ Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth} <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥15.800)
[PS4] Utawarerumono Trilogy Set {Utawarerumono: Chiriyukusha e no Komoriuta \ Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception \ Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth} (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (Aqua Plus) (¥12.000)
[PS4] Bravo Team |PlayStation VR| # <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥4.900)
[PS4] Bravo Team |PlayStation VR| (PlayStation VR Shooting Controller Bundle) <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥8.900)
[PS4] Bravo Team |PlayStation VR| (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥4.900)
[PS4] Doukoku Soshite… # <ADV> (El Dia) (¥7.800)
[PS4] Doukoku Soshite… (Limited Edition) <ADV> (El Dia) (¥8.800)
[PS4] Doukoku Soshite… (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (El Dia) (¥6.800)
[PS4] Daisenryaku Perfect 4.0 <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.800)
[PS4] Daisenryaku Perfect 4.0 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥7.800)
[PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II Kai - The Erebonian Civil War <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥3.980)
[PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II Kai - The Erebonian Civil War (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥3.241)
[PS4] Rampage Animals! Party at a Smartphone _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) (¥1.800)
__

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 < 115k (average 100k) [week 1]
02. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 < 45k (average 35k) [week 1]
03. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies < 20k [week 7]
03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 < 20k [week 41]

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 < 115k (average 100k) [week 1]
02. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 < 45k (average 35k) [week 1]
03. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies < 20k [week 7]
03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 < 20k [week 41]

Interesting..no Labo 2nd week prediction. Not expecting much?