• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
No way Labo has a 80% drop in the second week unless there are stocks problems, Famitsu clearly not tracking it as a software.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (April 16 - April 22)

DbL2MjiUQAAqcx-.jpg

01/ N [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy - Con 01: Variety Kit - 72 pt
02/ N [PS4] God of War - 57 pt
03/ N [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit - 20 pt
04/ N [PS4] METAL MAX Xeno - 15 pt

05/02 [NSW] The Snack World: Trejarers Gold - 14 pt (-20 pt)
06/07 [PS4] Cities: Skyline PlayStation 4 Edition - 13 pt (-3 pt)
07/ N [PSV] METAL MAX Xeno - 12 pt
08/03 [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 11 pt (-18 pt)
09/10 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 9 pt (-2 pt)
10/05 [PS4] Death end re;Quest (normal version) - 7 pt (-14 pt)
11/08 [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege Advanced Edition - 7 pt (-6 pt)
12/01 [PS4] Far Cry 5 - 5 pt (-33 pt)
13/ R [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 - 7 pt
14/ N [NSW] Portal Knights - 6 pt
15/13 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 6 pt (-2 pt)
16/11 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 5 pt (-4 pt)
17/ R [PS4] Persona 5 (Normal Version) - 4 pt
18/16 [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 4 pt (-2 pt)
19/ R [NSW] Local railway for Nintendo Switch !! - 4 pt
20/04 [PS4] Death end re;Quest (end box) - 3 pt (-21) pt

NSW: 11
PS4: 8
PSV: 1

ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (April 09 - April 15)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/6799870/

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
TSUTAYA Ranking Sales, 2018 (Apr 16 - April 22)

01: God of war
11: Cities: Skyline PlayStation 4 Edition

R19aOTS.jpg

PS4: 9
NSW: 9
PSV: 1
3DS: 1

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
It's seem that there was a restock in my area for PS4 Pros, they're still in stock as of now. Slim is sold out.

Both God of War and Metal Max are also sold out.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's easier to make a middle size franchise grow big. It's a lot harder to make an already huge franchise grow bigger because you need to deal with casual gamers and they are very hard to catch.

I agree though Zelda was once a million selling franchise, had a 20 year hiatus then became a million selling franchise again. That was more the point.

Basically, if your franchise is not big, your biggest concern should be to make a great game. CS3 would sell better if CS2 didn't suck ass. P5 and Nier Automata sold well because they are great games. BotW made the breakthrough because it's the best Zelda since...maybe OoT? It surely is the highest rated one since OoT.

I dunno, making a great game is always going to be part of the occasion regardless of franchise size. Good games often see better legs. It's rare genuinely bad games grow a franchise.

But if you want to grow a multi-million franchise, your biggest concern should be what the general population like. Here you are not just selling your games to hardcore gamers, you are selling to millions of casual gamers who maybe only play four games in total. You need to convince them to give your game a chance, and it's exceptional hard to do so. Usually if you lose their attention, you will never get it back .

I don't necessarily agree here. Making a game that appeals to the general audience is important but a lot of the franchises that grew to be big multi million sellers like Yokai Watch (in decline now) and Splatoon didn't start out huge and extremely popular to the general populace. The quality and unique experience is what made peoplw interested.

No one wpuld have guessed either of these would blow up to the extent that they did. I think making a good distinct product that you know your target audiemce for is more important than just purely "the general populace like this". I mean Mario Kart, MH, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, DQ amd Splatoon are all muli million sellers and they are all pretty damn different.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't necessarily agree here. Making a game that appeals to the general audience is important but a lot of the franchises that grew to be big multi million sellers like Yokai Watch (in decline now) and Splatoon didn't start out huge and extremely popular to the general populace. The quality and unique experience is what made peoplw interested.

No one wpuld have guessed either of these would blow up to the extent that they did. I think making a good distinct product that you know your target audiemce for is more important than just purely "the general populace like this". I mean Mario Kart, MH, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, DQ amd Splatoon are all muli million sellers and they are all pretty damn different.
YW was designed with laser focus to target the Pokemon base. The whole multi-media campaign was designed just around that. Level-5 wanted it to be the next big thing and they knew how to make it happen (they had smash hits before on DS). YW games are by no means the best JRPGs, nor the most unique or original, on 3DS, but L5 completely succeeded in selling the game to those they wanted to sell to. I'd say YW's success can be seen from a mile away. I

Splatoon is a multiplayer shooter with colorful and stylish presentation, something Nintendo never did before. Nintendo is fully aware that multiplayer is the future, and they want themselves to be part of that future. ARMS, the other big Nintendo new IP in recent year, is also a multiplayer game. 1,2 Switch is also a multiplayer game. Splatoon was designed with the trend of market in mind first and foremost. It didn't start big because nobody knew if Nintendo can pull it off- since they never made anything like it before. But Nintendo believed in it and heavily promoted it. Once it was known the game has high quality, it quickly became popular.

Both cases prove my point: to make a really huge new IP, you need to carefully study the market. You need to know where it is now and where it's heading. Quality is of course always important, but it's not what gets you to multi-million copies sold. Compare them to Nier Automata, you'd see the difference. Nier Automata is just Nier with better combat, Yoko Taro didn't care much about how to sell it to the mass market (Nier can never sell to the casual audience). Platinum games didn't sold well for almost a decade yet Yoko Taro decided to work with them because Platinum is the one that can improve Nier.

Oct 26, 2017

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally I'm seeing a surprising number of Japanese developers tweeting about God of War. It probably did very well. I'm expecting some kind of press release from Sony soon-ish.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
GoW is a pretty small series in Japan. Only one game (GOW3) managed to break 100k. This new game should be able to do it as well, but I don't think much more is expected from it. Labo should be able to outperform it both at launch and in the long run (especially the latter).

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
GoW is a pretty small series in Japan. Only one game (GOW3) managed to break 100k. This new game should be able to do it as well, but I don't think much more is expected from it. Labo should be able to outperform it both at launch and in the long run (especially the latter).
with FC5 easily breaking 100k,I'd not be surprised if Gow could do the same

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Famista is a good announcement. The series got some traction on 3DS and it will release just around Obon.

These are Famitsu numbers:

If anyone's curious these are famitsu numbers for 3ds entries via gamedatalibrary

3DS Pro Baseball Famista Climax 43.572 113.459 Bandai Namco 20/04/2017
3DS Pro Baseball Famista Returns 24.775 77.932 Bandai Namco 08/10/2015
3DS Pro Baseball Famista 2011 13.234 47.873 Bandai Namco 31/03/2011

Media Create has an updated LTD for the 2015 game:

134./075. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Returns <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.08} (¥5.690) - 51.954 / 149.824 (-47%) (25.597 <88,72%>)

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Again, about baseball games:

Would be a higher FW for Power Pro than 2016

YSO has the 2017 game at 160k units max. Last year:

PS4 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 75.505 203.892 Konami 28/04/2016
PSV Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 66.661 200.452 Konami 28/04/2016
PS3 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016 46.314 107.885 Konami 28/04/2016

The debut was around 189k units.

Another game where the PS4 is not able to pick up the loss in PS3 and PSV sales (PSV version is still there, though less relevant).

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I don't really know the flow of the Japan sales but snack world seems to be doing well on switch

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It is a bit funny how we get excited for Snack World that does 35k FW when the PS4, probably at its lowest point in years, is getting 100k+ sellers left and right (another one this week apparently). Wonder when the Switch will finally be at this point.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It is a bit funny how we get excited for Snack World that does 35k FW when the PS4, probably at its lowest point in years, is getting 100k+ sellers left and right (another one this week apparently). Wonder when the Switch will finally be at this point.
People aren't excited for Snack world's debut it's very low. Snack world is simply a late port of a comparitively dead franchise thus it's the definiton of lowered expectations. If this was the first snack world release the response would be very different.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Well your also talking about ports versus brand new games. If you want to talk day and date releases.
FIFA 18 is over 100k
Attack on Titan 2 is about the same in sales on both.
There's more just can't remember.

If Switch was getting brand new games too it would be getting 100k sellers consistently as well.

Also Labo will be 100k+ debut.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Didn't it happen in most of 2017? Or are you referring to third parties in general?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
What have been the 100k+ debut games anyway on Switch?
Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8D
Splatoon 2
ARMS
Mario Odyssey
Kirby Star Allies

I know MHXX and XC2 got very close but came up just short.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think anyone is "excited" about Snack World selling as much. Its pretty much what was expected and all mayor Level 5 IPs will be on Switch regardless of its performance.

Something like Snack World could be compared to the PS3/PS4/PSV multi releases earlier in the generation - only with the difference that the Switch version was launched a year after the 3DS release because L5 was caught lacking.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Is it funny? I don't see much laughter ITT...

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
I dont think anyone is "excited" about Snack World selling as much. Its pretty much what was expected and all mayor Level 5 IPs will be on Switch regardless of its performance.

Something like Snack World could be compared to the PS3/PS4/PSV multi releases earlier in the generation - only with the difference that the Switch version was launched a year after the 3DS release because L5 was caught lacking.
To be honest, most of these middle releases are selling in the 20-40k range. We haven't had a third party that had potential to sell more than that yet outside of MHXX.

A look at the "major" third party games:

Puyo Puyo Tetris- small launch but we know from Media Create it had legs to cross 70k-late port

Street Fighter 2- around 20k, overpriced by a ton- this shouldn't be expected to blow up

Secret of Mana Collection- it's just 3 roms of the classic games, it had a 30k debut which for being just 3 roms is impressive-also not expected to blow up

FIFA 18- Much Small debut than PS4 version but had much stronger legs(over 120k)

Attack on Titan 2- Literally has sold the same on both Switch and PS4- just released and needs stock to actually sell

Snack World- A year old port of a game that had less than a 100k debut week. 1/3 of a debut and hints point to legs is a good sign. Again should not be expected to blow up.

The First tests you could say for Switch third party is Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Guys we have talked more about Snack World these past few weeks than any other 3rd party game. Meanwhile Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 is casually dropping this week and will do much much better. There is a disconnect, because we latch on to the barely significant scraps thrown at the Switch from the 3rd parties, when the PS4, that is ridiculed weekly, is still so far ahead. Yes I find it midly amusing.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

Well, you have to look at it in context. In PS4's launch aligned year, it had 5 total 100K sellers from Japanese pubs.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Expectations... How do they work.

Also, last 100k+ games released on PS4 were DQ9 and SAO in early February. Before, Dissidia and MHW in January.

Guys we have talked more about Snack World these past few weeks than any other 3rd party game. Meanwhile Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 is casually dropping this week and will do much much better. There is a disconnect, because we latch on to the barely significant scraps thrown at the Switch from the 3rd parties, when the PS4, that is ridiculed weekly, is still so far ahead. Yes I find it midly amusing.

Nothing stops you from discussing about other games.

Jikkyou is a classic franchise that has been releasing on Sony platforms since 1995. This new entry is the second one on PS4 and the sixth one on PSV---it will sell below last year's entry across two platforms, instead of three.

The Snack World is a bet because it is a new franchise, it sold well but below expectations on 3DS, and it is much more interesting in terms of audience and potential sales versus Jikkyou, which is an yearly release.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
3rdParty Switch support lacking and the PS4 getting the lionshare of most western and japanese support isnt really a new revelation.

Maybe thats the reason why the PS4 performance is an issue for many considering it gets all the support.

Snack World was talked alot about because its a Level 5 game and they have been one of the strongest partner on Nintendo handheld for the last two generations. Of course people are gonna discuss their support more than whatever we can expect from Konami at this point, just because of a yearly Power Pro release ?

IE Ares and YW4 are hitting this year - lets see how these games perform.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Well, you have to look at it in context. In PS4's launch aligned year, it had 5 total 100K sellers from Japanese pubs.
I obviously understand the context, it's just an observation while I'm bored at work. Even Labo isn't going to open that high and it's literally the most exciting thing coming out on the platform in 6 months.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Expectations... How do they work.

Also, last 100k+ games released on PS4 were DQ9 and SAO in early February. Before, Dissidia and MHW in January.

Nothing stops you from discussing about other games.

Jikkyou is a classic franchise that has been releasing on Sony platforms since 1995. This new entry is the second one on PS4 and the sixth one on PSV---it will sell below last year's entry across two platforms, instead of three.

The Snack World is a bet because it is a new franchise, it sold well but below expectations on 3DS, and it is much more interesting in terms of audience and potential sales versus Jikkyou, which is an yearly release.
Snack world isn't interesting I agree there. There isn't much room for franchise growth and the anime didn't do particularly well. At best I'd expect a mediocre ltd. I mean there's a low chance of a sequel unless it really blows up.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
A more apt comparison would be seeing the releases this year and noting how many of those are missed.

PS4 missed a lot in 2014, a few in 2015 and got most in 2016 from the numbers I posted a while ago.
SW has seems to have missed a lot in 2017 and 2018, though I haven't checked the total number of missed titles for SW.

Circling back to this, I do think that's a valid point- PS4 in 2015 indeed was getting more day and date stuff from 3rd parties. I'll concede that. (I think that has a lot to do with Sony easily convincing developers to piggyback off PS3/PSV stuff, but still). I think one response to that is Switch in 2018 looks significantly better as far as actual exclusive titles- Taiko Drum, Octopath, and Yo-Kai Watch 4, are already more significant exclusives than anything PS4 received all year in 2015.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Snack world isn't interesting I agree there. There isn't much room for franchise growth and the anime didn't do particularly well. At best I'd expect a mediocre ltd. I mean there's a low chance of a sequel unless it really blows up.

I don't think it's fair for anyone here to dictate what people should discuss or not. You can think a topic is boring but I don't see the point of saying it's boring if some other people are willing to discuss it. Rather, you should open new debates on things you are interesting for you.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think it's fair for anyone here to dictate what people should discuss or not. You can think a topic is boring but I don't see the point of saying it's boring if some other people are willing to discuss it. Rather, you should open new debates on things you are interesting for you.
I'm not talking about dictating, i'm just personally saying I agree personally that i find the subject boring.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One is the first game from Level-5 on the system, a game that was once supposed to be the successor to the biggest crossmedia IP ever made in Japan, now releasing on a new platform that is in the middle of trying to convince kids to buy it. It's interesting both from the perspective of Nintendo, which is getting three family-centric games in a row (Kirby / Snack World / Labo) after expressings their will to attract more families, and from the perspective of Level-5 who has to make a massive transition from 3DS to Switch, considering PS4 isn't fit for their games and mobile isn't really working.

Pro Baseball 2018 is just the annual release of Pro Baseball, it will do around the same numbers as last year minus the PS3 SKU, have moderate legs, will disappear off the charts in three-four weeks, reappear during the holidays and that's it. Repeat the same next year if the SKUs are the same. What do you want to talk about here ?

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

I obviously understand the context, it's just an observation while I'm bored at work. Even Labo isn't going to open that high and it's literally the most exciting thing coming out on the platform in 6 months.

Here's a PS4 topic for you, the state of the PS4 in Japan. Discuss:

Well, yeah, but there's only 6m units in the wild. There's a ton of room for growth. It shouldn't come down to weekly releases to move units. It should be hitting its stride. But it's on life support.

I'm late to reply to this.

You're looking at that wrong, don't look at how many units have sold total, look at the yearly hardware sales. PS4 is expected to decline YoY, that means there's no room for growth, for it to do better YoY after a decline would be rejuvenation which examples are Kinect for Xbox 360 and Pokémon for Gameboy. The PS4 has been on the market for four years already, its yearly HW sales have shown that the audience it appeals to are niche, where it looks like the majority of the demographic consists of Males aged in their mid teens to late 30s going by what software sells well on the system.

Of course there are exceptions such as Minecraft but that manages to sell well on any platform it is on. (Look at the Vita)

And with regards to MHW and DQXI, those were the only games to pull people from the mainstream to go and buy a PS4, the problem though as has been seen by the sales data for the weeks following is that MHW and DQXI is literally the equivalent of FIFA and COD for Europe, the game appeals to mainstream audiences but, those audiences are not game enthusiasts, hence, they are only buying a PS4 for those games and not much else, so the problem is that PS4 doesn't have much other games that are supposed to appeal to that mainstream audience in Japan.

The PS4 will need a price cut to pick up sales but the problem is still the lack of software that appeals to a mainstream/broad audience. I thought that Fortnite which finally released on PS4 in Japan in March this year would have done something, but the hardware sales suggest it had very little effect. Why I bring up Fortnite is that Battle Royale games are popular in Japan, but now Fortnite is available on iOS and it is doing really well in Japan, so it becomes obvious that the PS4 won't be able to pull people from the broad audience to buy a PS4 for Fortnite because it is available on mobile phones, and even before that there was a battle royale game on mobile called Knives Out by Netease, you'll find even that game is doing well on mobile, that just reinforces the point that battle royale games arrived too late to the PS4 in Japan because those games are already available on mobile.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
GEO stores: Week 16, 2018 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

01./00. [PS4] God of War # <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2018.04.20} (¥6.900)
02./00. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} (¥6.980)
03./00. [PS4] Metal Max Xeno # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2018.04.19} (¥6.980)
04./01. [NSW] The Snack World: TreJarers Gold <RPG> (Level 5) {2018.04.12} (¥5.980)
05./00. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} (¥7.980)
06./03. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} (¥5.980)
07./02. [PS4] Far Cry 5 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2018.03.29} (¥8.400)
08./04. [PS4] Cities: Skylines - PlayStation 4 Edition <SLG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2018.04.12} (¥5.400)
09./00. [PSV] Metal Max Xeno # <RPG> (Kadokawa Games) {2018.04.19} (¥6.980)
10./06. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)

Top 10

NSW - 5
PS4 - 4
PSV - 1

PS4 God of War debuted first. It is first time in 8 years since God of War 3 and it is first time to release on PS4. Evaluation was high both overseas and domestic, and it showed growth on weekend as well. Switch's new approach Nintendo Labo has a somewhat dull start due to the characteristics of the product but since it will be the main title of the Golden Week period we are looking forward to future sales trends. It is a title that continues to be sold as a product we are attracting attention from the viewpoint of intellectual education as well.