• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what dull start means for Labo. On paper the YSO prediction (<120k) sounded pretty good, but I guess it depends on the shipment.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main reason Snack World is interesting is that it could potentially be the 2nd 3rd party game to sell over 100K in 2018. Since Dark Souls was pushed back and DQB/AOT2 have only now broken through 50K - Snack World during Labo and Golden Week should overtake both.

Overall based on the retailer ranking I expect Snack World's second week to be between 10-15K and by it's third week for the game to be infront of both DQB and AOT2.

KAORIII

Oct 29, 2017
The main reason Snack World is interesting is that it could potentially be the 2nd 3rd party game to sell over 100K in 2018. Since Dark Souls was pushed back and DQB/AOT2 have only now broken through 50K - Snack World during Labo and Golden Week should overtake both.

Overall based on the retailer ranking I expect Snack World's second week to be between 10-15K and by it's third week for the game to be infront of both DQB and AOT2.
Actually mario rabbids is published by Nintendo in Japan...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
First FIFA, now Famista... Konami sleeping on Switch is really leaving yen on the table for their competition.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Some unnecessary stuff:
-First,today is the third anniversary of Bravely Second
-Second,Asano's Team is now called BD11

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some unnecessary stuff:
-First,today is the third anniversary of Bravely Second
-Second,Asano's Team is now called BD11

weren't there 10 divisions before? sounds like Asano's team got spun off into his own division. interesting. I guess we can expect more games like Octopath and Bravely, and on more systems.

Tokyo RPG Factory on blast

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
weren't there 10 divisions before? sounds like Asano's team got spun off into his own division. interesting
Yes. It was 12 originally but some of the mobile/browser teams merged.

Asano's team breaking away from BD6 to form BD11 is cool. I wonder if any other staff went (Nier), if perhaps BD6 is moving back to DQ only?

edit: Actually there's another unnumbered division in BD structure. It's the localization group, sometimes called Extreme Edges Team, that handles things like Japan releases of SE Europe games or co-producing Spelunker with Tozai.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix business divisions are making alot of changes. BD1 transitioning from a mobile team to a AAA team, BD2 is now luminous studios (and likely had some staff move around to other divisions), BD6 was hiring for Nier, now the Bd11 news.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought SE don't like BD structure anymore? Now seems to be a good chance to give Asano's team a name of a studio.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I figured it was weird that Takahashi was doing all the promo for Octopath instead of Asano. Good news.

Hopefully it means more Bravely is on the way too!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand fully, did BD2 become Luminous or did Luminous split off from them? Luminous Productions seems to be working outside the BizDev structure too, like Visual Works, Taito, Tokyo RPG Factory or Studio Istolia.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong will undoubtedly become the first WiiU port on Switch to open higher than its initial release. It speaks volume about how the game underperformed on WiiU, it was embarassing really :

[WIU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze : 43.301 / 120.086

For comparison :

[WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns : 165.859 / 979.539 , only 4 years earlier.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
when the clones are better than the OG games, who's gonna complain?
a certain ffxv fan *ehem*
I still don't understand fully, did BD2 become Luminous or did Luminous split off from them? Luminous Productions seems to be working outside the BizDev structure too, like Visual Works, Taito, Tokyo RPG Factory or Studio Istolia.
I wonder what has Istolia been doing,been over a year since the last time they showed people their project though

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

From what i understand, the majority of BD2 are now at luminous, and judging from the FF7 recruiting ad some of BD2 went to work on FF7 remake.

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't looked at a sales thread in months.

Splatoon 2, BotW, Mario Kart, Odyssey all still in top 10. Seems like a slow week but damn what beasts.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys we have talked more about Snack World these past few weeks than any other 3rd party game. Meanwhile Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 is casually dropping this week and will do much much better. There is a disconnect, because we latch on to the barely significant scraps thrown at the Switch from the 3rd parties, when the PS4, that is ridiculed weekly, is still so far ahead. Yes I find it midly amusing.
I was under the impression that talking about Snack World was in the context of Snack World once being Level-5's multimedia ace in the hole after declining Yokai Watch sales and not necessarily because it's a switch port. Have they even made those NFC keychains that work with the game as initially revealed?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
First FIFA, now Famista... Konami sleeping on Switch is really leaving yen on the table for their competition.
Yeah, although FIFA was revealed at the January 2017 event, so they couldn't use the 'untapped market' technique that they used for Bomberman for PES.

Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu is a different story however, and prior to its reveal, I was fully expecting the 2018 game to come to Switch. BNE only announced Famitsa a couple of days before Konami could've actually released their game. Sounds like a wasted potential to me. It's not like Jikkyou has never been a regular on a Nintendo system before.

Since Jikkyou is now bi-annual, would that mean they'll be PS4/PSV bound until 2020? I think a late port version for the NSW would be a good idea. Maybe when they release the roster update for next season around this time next year or so...

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It'll have legs if it's really sold out. I could see it having a very high sell through if 50k was really what they were predicting.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm hearing reports that the sales picture for Labo is just lackluster with plenty of domestic store inventory left unsold. I wonder if popularity will grow on word-of-mouth or if this is more DOA?

Also curious to see if it's a phenomenon for just the domestic market or if we'll see similar weakness in the western market.

A low first week sell-through is not unexpected given the nature of the product and more importantly because of Golden Week approaching.

Regarding absolute sales, we should be around 100-120k FW for both sets combined according to YSO. It is a pretty good number imo.

Legs and sales pattern will however tell us more.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
God of War will move around God of War 3 sales, nothing indicates a significant change from that. Its LTD will be determined from what it will sell until Golden Week, afterwards sales will die.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah I'm hearing reports that the sales picture for Labo is just lackluster with plenty of domestic store inventory left unsold. I wonder if popularity will grow on word-of-mouth or if this is more DOA?

Also curious to see if it's a phenomenon for just the domestic market or if we'll see similar weakness in the western market.

That's pretty disappointing. Hopefully we still see some sort of bump for switch HW going into GW. It's been a pretty barebones start to the year.

It's certainly going to be an interesting product to watch.

KAORIII

Oct 29, 2017
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu is usually on Sony platforms in recent years, while famista series is usually on nintendo platforms. So this is nothing to be surprised.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
Tennis World Tour PS4/Switch by Big Ben for July 26 , 7.800 yen, preorders April 25, 2 players (offline/online)

Game developed by Breakpoint with the member who produced the title TOP SPIN, more 30 players, a carrier mode where you can create your own original character, a total of 18 types of tennis courts totaling hard, clay, carpet and flooring are included.

czMjYXJ0aWNsZSMyOTQwMCMyMDA2NDIjMjk0MDBfYVFTdWlHeHNoVi5qcGc.jpg

czMjYXJ0aWNsZSMyOTQwMCMyMDA2NDIjMjk0MDBfSFZZUHpqTW5ETi5qcGc.jpg

czMjYXJ0aWNsZSMyOTQwMCMyMDA2NDIjMjk0MDBfWUdxa3JrQVRsRS5qcGc.jpg

https://www.value-press.com/pressrelease/200642

Video and more details here:
https://twitter.com/TennisTheGame?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html#988452666035654656
https://www.resetera.com/threads/tennis-world-tour-releases-22nd-of-may-ps4-xbo-switch-pc.28559/

Last edited:

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
There's this new mobile game from Sega that has gotten 2 million downloads in one week, it looks like if you mixed Puzzle & Dragons with Scrabble unless I'm mistaken.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu is usually on Sony platforms in recent years, while famista series is usually on nintendo platforms. So this is nothing to be surprised.
PS exclusivity is only something from the post-Wii years. And Konami did bring Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Heroes (a spin-off?) to the 3DS in December 2016, so so they haven't been completely absent since then.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Around 100k for FW is not DOA for product like Labo in any case,
but it is kind of product that will most likely have very strong legs because popularity will grow buy time on word-of-mouth, also Holiday season will most likely be quite strong for Labo.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It was 12 originally but some of the mobile/browser teams merged.

Asano's team breaking away from BD6 to form BD11 is cool. I wonder if any other staff went (Nier), if perhaps BD6 is moving back to DQ only?

edit: Actually there's another unnumbered division in BD structure. It's the localization group, sometimes called Extreme Edges Team, that handles things like Japan releases of SE Europe games or co-producing Spelunker with Tozai.

Actually, the Extreme Edges group is part of BD6, to my knowledge.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Powapuro has a long history on Nintendo platforms. It just skipped Wii U for obvious reasons but came to every other Nintendo system (except VB) since it's SFC debut, usually regularly. It would be unisual for it to skip Switch given the platform's breakout success and Powapuro's own decline on PlayStation.

Famista centered on Nintendo historically but it did get releases elsewhere (MSX, PC, mobile) and PS had equivalent World Stadium (Arcade, PCE, PS1) and Play Stadium (PS1) series.