• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon was and still is aiming basically kids. Animal Crossing a much bigger variety of ages and Switch covers almost all demographics which increases its potential userbase despite Japanese population getting older.

Deleted member 65994

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
Coming back on the FF7r or KH3 on switch topic, how many big multiplatform releases have we seen on switch day one, beside sport games? I think those sub hd resolutions of those third party games make things rough on the switch. That's atleast something the switch 2 could improve big one, especially because next gen is reaching resolution where their will be smaller and smaller differences in impact on the image quality.

Also a more technical question, do we know how much RAM of mobiles is behind gddr 5 if we talking about game performance? because the CPU and GPU should be able to reach xbox one/ps4 levels.

Also I think how it's a bigger problem for square enix in the future how to keep those development budgets of the final fantasy and kingdom hearts series in check. Especially kingdom hearts must be ineffiecent as hell to develop, re-creating whole towns of disney movies, for a 10 minute section, same counts Venetie like city in FF15. A doubt Square Enix is happy with the profit margins of those games, after the huge investments and looking what kind of margins EA , Ubisoft and Bethesda are making with games like Jedi fallen order, assasins creed and Fallout.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Number of 2m+ sellers:

Switch: 10
AC, Pokémon Sw/Sh, SSBU, Splatoon 2, MK, SMO, Pokémon LG, Zelda, Minecraft, SMP
--> 11+ million-sellers including 10 mulimillion sellers

3DS: 16
AC, Pokémon X/Y, MH4, Pokémon S/M, Pokémon OR/AS, MHX, YW2 BF/FS, SSB, MK, YW2 S, MH4U, NSMB2, Pokémon US/UM, SM3DL, YWB, MH3U
--> 26 million-sellers including 16 mulimillion sellers

NDS: 15
NSMB, Pokémon D/P, Pokémon B/W, AC, Brain Age, Brain Age 2, DQIX, MKDS, Pokémon HG/SS, Tomadotchi, Pokémon B2/W2, Pokémon Platinum, English Training, Nintendogs
--> 37 million-sellers including 15 mulimillion sellers

PS1: 8
DQVII, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, RE2, GT, Hot Shots Golf, Derby Stallion
--> 31 million-sellers including 8 mulimillion sellers

PS2: 4
DQVIII, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII
--> 23 million-sellers including 4 mulimillion sellers

Switch will beat those in the number of multi-million sellers. Interesting to notice how much more concentrated sales are nowadays with less and less games between 1m and 2m while keeping the multi-million sellers number growing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the "Namco" side production or licensing from Nintendo systems this gen:

Nintendo 3DS
  • 02.26.11 Ridge Racer 3D
  • 03.31.11 Pro Yakyuu Famista 2011
  • 06.07.11 3D Classics Xevious (Nintendo)
  • 06.23.11 Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions
  • 06.30.11 Tales of the Abyss
  • 01.02.12 Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
  • 02.16.12 Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
  • 03.22.12 Pac-Man Party 3D
  • 07.12.12 Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb
  • 10.11.12 Project X Zone (Banpresto)
  • 06.20.13 Teddy Together
  • 08.01.13 Disney Magical World
  • 11.28.13 Disney Infinity: Toy Box Challenge (Disney Interactive Studios)
  • 06.19.14 Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
  • 06.26.14 Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken
  • 09.23.14 Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo)
  • 10.03.14 Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
  • 10.23.14 Tales of the World: Rev Unitia
  • 11.13.14 Marvel Disk Wars: Avengers - Ultimate Heroes
  • 01.29.15 Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy +
  • 10.08.15 Pro Yakyuu Famista Returns
  • 11.05.15 Disney Magical World 2
  • 11.12.15 Project X Zone 2: Brave New World (Banpresto)
  • 06.16.16 Taiko no Tatsujin: Dokodon! Mystery Adventure
  • 04.20.17 Pro Yakyuu Famista Climax
  • 11.21.18 Neko-Tomo
  • 00.00.00 Pac-Man Museum [canceled]
Wii U
  • 12.08.12 Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
  • 12.26.12 Tank! Tank! Tank!
  • 11.21.13 Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version
  • 11.28.13 Disney Infinity (Disney Interactive Studios)
  • 06.25.14 Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
  • 10.03.14 Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2
  • 11.20.14 Taiko no Tatsujin: Tokumori!
  • 11.21.14 Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo)
  • 11.12.15 Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition (Disney Interactive Studios)
  • 11.26.15 Taiko no Tatsujin: Atsumete Tomodachi Daisakusen!
  • 12.02.15 Lost Reavers
  • 03.28.16 Pokkén Tournament (Pokémon Company / Nintendo)
  • 00.00.00 Pac-Man Museum [canceled]
  • 00.00.00 Project Cars [canceled]
Nintendo Switch
  • 07.28.17 Namco Museum
  • 09.22.17 Pokkén Tournament DX (Pokémon Company / Nintendo)
  • 02.22.18 Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus
  • 05.18.18 Little Nightmares: Complete Edition
  • 07.19.18 Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun
  • 07.27.18 Go Vacation
  • 08.02.18 Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution
  • 10.19.18 Dark Souls Remastered (From Software)
  • 11.01.18 Neko-Tomo
  • 12.07.18 Katamari Damacy Reroll
  • 12.07.18 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo)
  • 01.11.19 Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  • 07.11.19 God Eater 3
  • 07.25.19 Ace Angler: Nintendo Switch Version
  • 07.20.19 Rad
  • 09.20.19 Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Level 5)
  • 10.10.19 Disney Tsum Tsum Festival
  • 04.20.20 Kotoba no Puzzle: Mojipittan Encore
  • 06.28.20 Namcot Collection
  • 06.25.20 Mr. Driller: Drill Land
  • 00.00.20 Little Nightmares II
  • 00.00.20 Pro Yakyuu Famista 2020
In terms of volume Switch is doing well actually but there are notable names missing compared to previous platforms (Tekken, Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, Soulcalibur, etc).

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
This is a point I never really considered before. Especially on 3DS and not just Tekken either, 3DS saw a several "core" Namco IP efforts like Ridge Racer, Ace Combat, Tales and a Monolith collab (Project X Zone) that seem to be confoundingly skipping Switch now.

Tales is there (Abyss port = Vesperia port), Ridge Racer well if rumours were to be believed it was supposed to happen early on. Ace Combat went for "AAA looking" style successfully
The Monolith collab is something I'm more curious about, it was strange that a now 100% owned Nintendo studio kept on making Bamco games, I wonder if it was part of a contract (like Bamco sold Monolith to Nintendo but had a 10 years span to keep making use of their 2D team to publish some games) or was just some sort of gentleman's agreement.
Probably a mix of both honestly, the Mugen no Saga games clearly were legacy titles of a Bamco managed IP and Project X Zone crossovers kept on the same fundations (dated back to Namco X Capcom). With PxZ2 having dissapointing results all around it begs the question of what the Monolith/Banpresto team will be doing now, if they left, are doing grunt works for others Monolith projects, have another project altogether and if so if it's published by Bamco or Nintendo.

It's been 4 1/2 years now, it they are working or something we should have heard of it by now, and the writing does seem to be on the wall

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tales is there (Abyss port = Vesperia port), Ridge Racer well if rumours were to be believed it was supposed to happen early on. Ace Combat went for "AAA looking" style successfully
The Monolith collab is something I'm more curious about, it was strange that a now 100% owned Nintendo studio kept on making Bamco games, I wonder if it was part of a contract (like Bamco sold Monolith to Nintendo but had a 10 years span to keep making use of their 2D team to publish some games) or was just some sort of gentleman's agreement.
Probably a mix of both honestly, the Mugen no Saga games clearly were legacy titles of a Bamco managed IP and Project X Zone crossovers kept on the same fundations (dated back to Namco X Capcom). With PxZ2 having dissapointing results all around it begs the question of what the Monolith/Banpresto team will be doing now, if they left, are doing grunt works for others Monolith projects, have another project altogether and if so if it's published by Bamco or Nintendo.

It's been 4 1/2 years now, it they are working or something we should have heard of it by now, and the writing does seem to be on the wall

IIRC Bandai Namco still owned ~16% of Monolithsoft for quite a while.

I think what changed is that Nintendo couldn't spare the resources when it came to developing 3DS and Wii U games. That's why Brownie Brown stopped working with third party publishers and become a support studio, with Brownies spinning off and picking up where they left off with Fantasy Life Link.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Banpresto was dissolved last year, so that combined with Ishitani and Morizumi leaving Monolith Soft doesn't exactly inspire confidence. All of their staff is likely working on the next Xenoblade, BotW2 Xenoblade DE, and the their fantasy action game in addition to whatever other projects they are assisting on.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
www.gematsu.com

NieR 10th Anniversary Live Stream: Missed Information Edition - Gematsu

Square Enix will host a "NieR 10th Anniversary Live Stream: Missed Information Edition" on April 22 at 20:00 JST. You will be able to watch it on Niconico. The broadcast, which is on the actual 10th…

So there's another presentation regarding NieR RepliCant on the 22nd literally titled "Missed Information".

I can certainly think of a missed bit of info in particular that they are in vital need of correcting.

Another stop for the Switch 3rd party doom train!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monolith Soft should adapt PxZ's gameplay into a mobile game starring Nintendo characters

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
What would you expect a Danganronpa trilogy to do on the Switch? (I dont mean to single you out, sorry, i mostly just qoute your post since its the last(?) post in that discussion. But its a general question for everyone). Its would be the 4th release of Danganronpa 1 and 2 (PSP, Vita, PS4). The PS4 release sold about 10k (maybe 12k-15k with the download version included). It would only be the 2nd release of Danganronpa 3 however, so maybe that would have some bigger potential at least?

What are the best selling premium games on mobile by the way? I see that the different Ace Attorney games have "10k+" on Android (which range anywhere from 10k to 50k if i'm not mistaken). Dragon Quest 8 is at 50k+ (range between 50k to 100k i think). I have no idea about iOS. Seems that the iOS App Store only lists number of ratings and not the number of downloads/installs.

Can't wait to play SAO Lycoris on Switch next year when they magically find a way to make it run.
To be a bit fair, it might not be too far fetched that they didnt have the knowledge back then (or thought it would be way too much work to do the optimization) to get the game up and running at an acceptable level :P Even today the game (Jump Force) is listed with "up to 30fps" (even with that, i still expect the game to be more than playable, just to mention that, so i dont think an "up to 30fps" necessarily means that bad performance). The porting tools and knowledge around Switch porting is probably better now than it was ~2 years ago, and maybe thats something to do with it. Thats just my guess though, that maybe could have been one factor to it. Do we know who is doing the Jump Force port by the way?

After seeing the Witcher 3 port to Switch, i would guess that its possible to get basically any PS4/Xbox One game up and running on the Switch to an acceptable playable state (even if might take a lot of work to do so, but purely technical speaking).

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
What would you expect a Danganronpa trilogy to do on the Switch? (I dont mean to single you out, sorry, i mostly just qoute your post since its the last(?) post in that discussion. But its a general question for everyone). Its would be the 4th release of Danganronpa 1 and 2 (PSP, Vita, PS4). The PS4 release sold about 10k (maybe 12k-15k with the download version included). It would only be the 2nd release of Danganronpa 3 however, so maybe that would have some bigger potential at least?

What are the best selling premium games on mobile by the way? I see that the different Ace Attorney games have "10k+" on Android (which range anywhere from 10k to 50k if i'm not mistaken). Dragon Quest 8 is at 50k+ (range between 50k to 100k i think). I have no idea about iOS. Seems that the iOS App Store only lists number of ratings and not the number of downloads/installs.

In Japan not much, late ports don't sell well there. 10-20k sound right.
In the west is another story and it could be another Ys VIII situation.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
At this point i think 10 million seem very likely and it honestly can do even more than that.
The game will probabily sell 7 million this year.

If the game actually sells (ship+digital) 6mil or slightly more by end of June, it's going to blow past 7mil and be closer to 8mil. It'll have Q3 and then holidays and hopefully hw situation is fixed :)

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
i had no idea even pokemon sold that well. i figured there'd be a dragon quest up there somewhere at least. smb i can sort of see since it came as a pack in, but all thoe other games are insane. even nsmb i thought barely cracked 4 million
The number of third-party games that have sold more than 5 million units in Japan is exactly 0.
Sales bigger than 5M is pretty much only Nintendo territory.
In the 40 years old japanese console industry history just 5 third-party games have sold above 4M (MHP3, DQIX, DQVII, MH4, FFVII).
The rest of the games that have sold more than 4M are all by Nintendo/Pokemon Co (15 games as December 2019, with more NSW games to join the group in the near future).

The 6M threshold is only for the strongest among the strongest which is why ACNH is so exciting to follow.

Last edited:

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
All hail our new predictions overlord

Lol, I have to be right a few more times before that but thanks!!!

10 million units is kind of pushing it. That would be a prety insane result

seems crazy but NSW is the definition of crazy, telling you for ex BotW will become a 2.5mil seller in Japan alone would make you laugh at me 2 years ago ;)

Tbone was right once again. I'm starting to get scared.

Be more afraid cuz I'm not done yet........ :P

Potentially 6M shipped in 13-14 weeks for a known leggy franchise on a console known for extending legs of Software beyond what has been typical. I think #1 all time is matter of when, not if.

Completely agree. We should be asking if it'll be this year or next :)

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Finally found some domestic shipments data for Monster Hunter: World - 2.9m as of August 20, 2018.
Also from TGS 2018, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate shipments from CESA Games White Paper (2.70m) seem outdated as Capcom showed a 70% sales ratio from Japan, which would mean 2.94m.

Thank you.

EDIT:
Seems it's sell-in data as March 2000.
Pokemon Gold/Silver may have shipped slightly more in Japan after that date.
Indeed, sounds like it hit 7.30m https://www.4gamer.net/games/091/G009105/20091121003/

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
IIRC Bandai Namco still owned ~16% of Monolithsoft for quite a while.

Banpresto was dissolved last year, so that combined with Ishitani and Morizumi leaving Monolith Soft doesn't exactly inspire confidence. All of their staff is likely working on the next Xenoblade, BotW2 Xenoblade DE, and the their fantasy action game in addition to whatever other projects they are assisting on.

They owned 16% from 2007 to 2012, looking at it maybe they had a 10y deal after selling most of the shares to publish games from Monolith, by 2012 they probably gave up on any extension and after PxZ 2 they deemed PxZ3 as not being viable in that timeslot, most of the people involved in that relationship were informed and this is where we"re at today.

Would be a shame to see that whole team gone though, they were one of the last studio to put out decently animated 2D games and I'm not sure of how that skillset would prove to be useful in farming assets for others Nintendo games or their 3d RPG games...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They owned 16% from 2007 to 2012, looking at it maybe they had a 10y deal after selling most of the shares to publish games from Monolith, by 2012 they probably gave up on any extension and after PxZ 2 they deemed PxZ3 as not being viable in that timeslot, most of the people involved in that relationship were informed and this is where we"re at today.

Would be a shame to see that whole team gone though, they were one of the last studio to put out decently animated 2D games and I'm not sure of how that skillset would prove to be useful in farming assets for others Nintendo games or their 3d RPG games...
I doubt there was any sort of deal. Just people within the studio who wanted to continue working together was enough

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing how Animal Crossing New Horizons charting and setting records like that really makes me want to see Capcom put a new Monster Hunter on Switch. Want to see how high it can go in Japan.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Definitely agreed on that.
A shame if we never see a crossover like that again too.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Also from TGS 2018, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate shipments from CESA Games White Paper (2.70m) seem outdated as Capcom showed a 70% sales ratio from Japan, which would mean 2.87m.
Wouldn't that equal to 2.94M (=4.2*0.70)?

What we know is that Pokemon R/G/B+Y+G/S+C sold around 23M in Japan in total.

As March 2000 R/G/B+Y+G/S have sold in Japan:
4.18+4.04+2.01+3.16+3.53+3.64=20.56M

Crystal should have shipped around 2M in Japan which leave the rest split among the older games.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Finally found some domestic shipments data for Monster Hunter: World - 2.9m as of August 20, 2018.
Also from TGS 2018, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate shipments from CESA Games White Paper (2.70m) seem outdated as Capcom showed a 70% sales ratio from Japan, which would mean 2.94m.

Indeed, sounds like it hit 7.30m https://www.4gamer.net/games/091/G009105/20091121003/

Media Create CY 2018

[PS4] Monster Hunter: World # <ACT> (Capcom) {2018.01.26} (¥8.980) - 2.029.941 / NEW (1.245.169 <92,07%>)

This includes all 2018 sales, but probably retail shipments didn't change much since I believe retailers were already cutting its price by August.
Then should be between 850-900k digital.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
To be a bit fair, it might not be too far fetched that they didnt have the knowledge back then (or thought it would be way too much work to do the optimization) to get the game up and running at an acceptable level :P Even today the game (Jump Force) is listed with "up to 30fps" (even with that, i still expect the game to be more than playable, just to mention that, so i dont think an "up to 30fps" necessarily means that bad performance). The porting tools and knowledge around Switch porting is probably better now than it was ~2 years ago, and maybe thats something to do with it.

Activision was saying it was impossible to get Crash N Sane Trilogy was impossible to get running on the Switch until an employee devoted their whole weekend to getting a level running just to make a case (and I hope this guy/gal got a nice bonus for it cause it has sold great).

It's not a matter of being unaware. Of course they were unaware, they never bothered to try. Right from when the Switch launched there was a subset of users continually saying, you can pretty well port anything to the Switch if the deisre is there. That has held true because hardware isn't magic. The Switch isn't an N64.

Read the dev diary on getting Titanfall on the 360 for instance. Where there is a will there is a way.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but all the expectations that ACNH will easily get into the top 5 best selling titles and probably get "way past" 6M+ sales are a bit premature. It's selling ridiculously well thus far, and it's quite possible it'll do super well, but anything could happen. Just saying I don't want folks setting expectations so high, that they get disappointed if it sells "only" 6M, which would already be crazy.

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Project X Zone likely won't get another entry, as the heads of the series departed from monolith after 2 released.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Sell thru famitsu

ACNL
Q1 2287k (8weeks and Holiday)
Q2 1053k
Q3 323k
Q4 161k
Y1 3823k

ACNH
Q1 2608k (2weeks)
Q2 716k (2weeks so far)
Q3
Q4
Y1 3324k

ACNL Q2

W1 133k
W2 87k
W3 98k
W4 83k
W5 76k
W6 91k
W7 77k
W8 78k
W9 76k
W10 69k
W11 61k
W12 61k
W13 61k

Q2 1053k
W Avg: 81k

Last edited:

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Maybe it's just me, but all the expectations that ACNH will easily get into the top 5 best selling titles and probably get "way past" 6M+ sales are a bit premature. It's selling ridiculously well thus far, and it's quite possible it'll do super well, but anything could happen. Just saying I don't want folks setting expectations so high, that they get disappointed if it sells "only" 6M, which would already be crazy.

^look at my post above^

I get things can be premature but AC is killing it this early and with huge exploding weeks becoming in the top records for each one (one of the Best 2nd week/3rd week/etc) and that's with hardware shortages

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create CY 2018

[PS4] Monster Hunter: World # <ACT> (Capcom) {2018.01.26} (¥8.980) - 2.029.941 / NEW (1.245.169 <92,07%>)

This includes all 2018 sales, but probably retail shipments didn't change much since I believe retailers were already cutting its price by August.
Then should be between 850-900k digital.
170./000. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World [1][Best Price] # <ACT> (Capcom) {2018.08.02} (¥4.990) - 24.097 / NEW (4.889 <15,70%>)

They list 10m sales in the article which means Steam version that launched at 9 August is included too.

Last edited:

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully on May 7 we'll get a clearer idea of ACNH's digital performance so we can set our expectations more accurately. Regardless, it's very exciting to see a game selling near record levels.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
My guess from retail only going based on AC NL and how well I think the game going to sell (with the game not slowing down/hardware shortages)

Q1 2608k

My predictions (outside of W1+2)
Q2
W1 423k
W2 293k
W3 200k
W4 300k (hardware comes back and GW)
W5 200k (GW part 2)
W6 120k
W7 90k
W8 80k
W9 75k
W10 75k
W11 75k
W12 65k
W13 65k

Q2 2061k

Total 4669k retail only by end of June
Digital sales probably be close to 2mil.

I know we are talking about a chance of 6mil now, but I'm thinking more closer to 7mil so over 6.5mil is my guess

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
In Japan not much, late ports don't sell well there. 10-20k sound right.
In the west is another story and it could be another Ys VIII situation.
Yeah, good point about the west. It could have been a better potential there.

Activision was saying it was impossible to get Crash N Sane Trilogy was impossible to get running on the Switch until an employee devoted their whole weekend to getting a level running just to make a case (and I hope this guy/gal got a nice bonus for it cause it has sold great).

It's not a matter of being unaware. Of course they were unaware, they never bothered to try. Right from when the Switch launched there was a subset of users continually saying, you can pretty well port anything to the Switch if the deisre is there. That has held true because hardware isn't magic. The Switch isn't an N64.

Read the dev diary on getting Titanfall on the 360 for instance. Where there is a will there is a way.
You're right. And just to be clear, i didnt just say that it was about being unaware though, i also mentioned about having the knowledge. Having the knowledge to get a proper port out the door. Getting some of these ports to work in a good enough state can require quite some work and technical skills after all. I'm not saying that their developers are poorly experienced or anything like that either, just to point that out. I'm sure they have many talented developers on a technical level, but some games are more demanding to port than others. And i'm not saying this is the only case (about having enough knowledge), but i could maybe see it be a factor into it in some cases, at least at that time (mid 2018) when the Switch was even newer than it is now. That said, its also possible that they just believed that it wasnt possible from a technical standpoint and just guessed it of course (that they never bothered to try in the first place, as you mention), but in that case, then its a matter about being unaware, or how do you mean? But what the reason(s) is will just be speculation on either side =)

But i agree with you, porting most things is possible if you put enough time and effort into it. I remember when Doom 3 was being ported (or rather, modified) to work with a Voodoo 2 graphics card. Doom 3 minimum requirements was like a Geforce 3 from 2001, anda Voodoo 2 card is from 1998. It was a pretty crazy thing. Of course the game looks a lot worse running on a Voodoo 2, but it is at least running :)

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G domestic shipments exceeded 4m too (yeah, Capcom can be so annoying sometimes)
Wait, on Capcom's website it's reported 2nd G hit 3.80M:
www.capcom.co.jp

ミリオンセールスタイトル | データ集 | 株式会社カプコン

カプコンが100万本以上販売したゲームソフトをランキング形式で掲載しています。

142008年3月モンスターハンターポータブル 2nd GPSP,DL380

Am I missing something?

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Sorry last thing for AC.... It could hit above 4.7mil retail by end of quarter! For that AC needs to be over 2.1mil this quarter. It's at 716k so needs 1384k more and with 11 weeks that means an avg of 126k a week.

Seems as way too much but if it sells at least 200k W16 (this week) and let's say 300k for GW then with 9 weeks left it only needs to sell 98k a week on avg.

Do y'all think that's possible?

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
www.capcom.co.jp

Am I missing something?
That's what I meant, probably a case of some 'PSP the best' versions not being included. Capcom is always weird with what versions they decide to combine or not. Worldwide it's over 4.5m http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/news/html/100827.html

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
That's what I meant, probably a case of 'PSP the best' versions not being included. Capcom is always weird with what versions they decide to count or not.
Yes, I thought about it (Capcom speratating the two SKU) but the Best Price sku should be over 1M so it should be listed but isn't.
So confusing.

CN4010J.jpg

Yeshua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I thought about it (Capcom speratating the two SKU) but the Best Price sku should be over 1M so it should be listed but isn't.
So confusing.

5plhf4__88837.1512245517.png
I looked at game data library to check 2G sale and the best version has 3 sku (PSP the best, PSP the best reprint and PSP the best 2nd reprint) and the last 2 are below the million mark (641.715 for the reprint and 16.800 for the 2nd) so maybe the last 2 sku aren't counted by Capcom ?

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Latest pre-Steam data we have are Japanese sales of the PS4 version of Monster Hunter: World at around 60% of 7.9 million in the fiscal year ended March 2018.

The COO’s Discussion of Growth Strategies |Medium- to Long-Term Growth Strategy | CAPCOM

Capcom's Integrated Report 2018(Annual Report), The COO’s Discussion of Growth Strategies

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
www.capcom.co.jp

Am I missing something?

Capcom seems to be a bit weird about including some versions.
So confusing.

5plhf4__88837.1512245517.png

Yes, they even made a press release at 4M sales

“Monster Hunter Freedom Unite” reaches another milestone as it ships 4 million copies in Japan! ‐”Monster Hunter Freedom 3″ will ship at the end of 2010‐ | Press Release | CAPCOM

株式会社カプコンは、PSP®「プレイステーション・ポータブル」向けゲームソフト『モンスターハンターポータブル 2nd G』を、『モンスターハンターポータブル 2nd G PSP® the Best』(以下、ベスト版)を含め国内で400万本出荷しましたのでお知らせいたします。

It still sold plenty of extra copies after that press release and got a 3rd reprint so it should be over 4.4M

MHP3 4.9M number doesn't include the cheaper version. It was at 4.7 in June 2011, months before the release of the cheaper version, so it's also over 5M in Japan.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry last thing for AC.... It could hit above 4.7mil retail by end of quarter! For that AC needs to be over 2.1mil this quarter. It's at 716k so needs 1384k more and with 11 weeks that means an avg of 126k a week.

Seems as way too much but if it sells at least 200k W16 (this week) and let's say 300k for GW then with 9 weeks left it only needs to sell 98k a week on avg.

Do y'all think that's possible?
It will depend on hardware supply I'd say but it is not far-fetched.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Number of 2m+ sellers:

Switch: 10
AC, Pokémon Sw/Sh, SSBU, Splatoon 2, MK, SMO, Pokémon LG, Zelda, Minecraft, SMP
--> 11+ million-sellers including 10 mulimillion sellers

3DS: 16
AC, Pokémon X/Y, MH4, Pokémon S/M, Pokémon OR/AS, MHX, YW2 BF/FS, SSB, MK, YW2 S, MH4U, NSMB2, Pokémon US/UM, SM3DL, YWB, MH3U
--> 26 million-sellers including 16 mulimillion sellers

NDS: 15
NSMB, Pokémon D/P, Pokémon B/W, AC, Brain Age, Brain Age 2, DQIX, MKDS, Pokémon HG/SS, Tomadotchi, Pokémon B2/W2, Pokémon Platinum, English Training, Nintendogs
--> 37 million-sellers including 15 mulimillion sellers

PS1: 8
DQVII, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, RE2, GT, Hot Shots Golf, Derby Stallion
--> 31 million-sellers including 8 mulimillion sellers

PS2: 4
DQVIII, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII
--> 23 million-sellers including 4 mulimillion sellers

Switch will beat those in the number of multi-million sellers. Interesting to notice how much more concentrated sales are nowadays with less and less games between 1m and 2m while keeping the multi-million sellers number growing.

Forgot to reply to this earlier but Iwata talked about/warned about the growing concentration of software sales in Japan back in like 2011/2012...

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Thought you might be interested in this comparison :p

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Wednesday, March 20, 2013) ||| Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Friday, March 20, 2020)

Week 1 - 301.080 / NEW [5 days] ||| 1.880.626 / NEW [3 days]
Week 2 - 102.445 / 403.525 (-66%) ||| 727.791 / 2.608.417 (-61%)
Week 3 - 64.046 / 467.571 (-37%) ||| 423.367 / 3.031.784 (-42%)
Week 4 - 64.804 / 532.375 (+1%) ||| 292.876 / 3.324.660 (-31%)

Now, with projected AC sales based on Luigi drops:

Week 5 - 49.123 / 581.498 (-24%) ||| 222.007 / 3.546.667 (-24%)
Week 6 - 47.201 / 628.699 (-4%) ||| 213.321 / 3.759.988 (-4%)
Week 7 - 63.724 / 692.423 (+35%) ||| 287.995 / 4.047.983 (+35%)
Week 8 - 27.989 / 720.412 (-56%) ||| 126.494 / 4.174.477 (-56%)
Week 9 - 18.789 / 739.201 (-33%) ||| 84.915 / 4.259.392 (33%)
Week 10 - 17.728 / 756.929 (-6%) ||| 80.120 / 4.339.512 (-6%)
Week 11 - 18.775 / 775.704 (+6%) ||| 84.852 / 4.424.364 (+6%)
Week 12 - 13.525 / 789.229 (-28%) ||| 61.125 / 4.485.489 (-28%)
Week 13 - 12.948 / 802.177 (-4%) ||| 58.517 / 4.544.006 (-4%)
Week 14 - 10.753 / 812.930 (-17%) ||| 48.597 / 4.592.603 (-17%)
Week 15 - 10.298 / 823.228 (-4%) ||| 46.541 / 4.639.144 (-4%)

Quarter 3 - 90.610 / 913.838 (-78%) ||| 438.415 / 5.077.559 (-78%)
Quarter 4 - 89.350 / 1.003.188 (-1%) ||| 432.319 / 5.509.878 (-1%)

Year 2 - 60.781 / 1.063.969 (-94%) ||| 333.832 / 5.843.710 (-94%)
Year 3 - 21.606 / 1.085.575 (-64%) ||| 118.668 / 5.962.378 (-64%)
Year 4 - 57.122 / 1.142.697 (+164%) ||| 313.735 / 6.276.113 (+164%) [NINTENDO SELECTS]
Year 5 - 32.199 / 1.174.896 (-44%) ||| 176.849 / 6.452.962 (-44%)
Year 6 - 17.764 / 1.192.660 (-45%) ||| 97.567 / 6.550.529 (-45%)

Of course this is not a 1:1 comparison at all (3DS vs Switch, Luigi opened so low compared to AC, AC was undershipped, etc.) but it may give a rough idea of how AC physical sales will evolve.

sales are vastly different. Comparison is hard to do cuz of that and hardware shortages. That said the dates line up and shows a bump it does for GW. Just it's a bit different considering the different circumstances!!!

Also this year GW is split between 2 weeks I believe

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
COMG! preorders chart, Week 16 2020:
Each point represent one preorder at this retailer. It is a relatively small retailer located in one region so be careful when you extrapolate, especially regarding Otaku games (overrepresented) and family games (underrepresented).

1. Sword Art Online Alicization Special Edition - 78 pts (+36 pts)
2. Trials of Mana (PS4) - 38 pts (+7 pts)
3. Trials of Mana (NSW) - 37 pts (+7 pts)
4. The Last of Us Part II - 29 pts (+1 pt)
5. Xenoblade Chronicles Collector's Edition – 26 pts (+0 pt)
6. Sword Art Online Alicization - 25 pts (+2 pts)
7. Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS Collector's Edition – 16 pts (+7 pts)
8. The Last of Us Part II Collector's Edition – 14 pts (+0 pt)
9. The Legend of Heroes Zero no Kiseki: Kai - 10 pts (+1 pt)
10. The Legend of Heroes Aoi no Kiseki: Kai - 9 pts (+1 pt)
11. Kowloon Yuma ORIGIN OF ADVENTURE - 8 pts (+0 pt)
13. Watch Dogs Legion - 8 pts (+0 pt)
14. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (NSW) – 6 pts (+0 pt)
15. Cyberpunk 2077 – 6 pts (+0 pt)
16. eBaseball Pro 2020 (PS4) – 5 pts (NEW)
17. Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS - 5 pts (NEW)

18. Fairy Tail Guild Box (NSW) – 5 pts (+0 pt)
19. Fairy Tail (NSW) – 5 pts (+0 pt)
20. Ghost of Tsushima – 4 pts (+0 pt)