• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DW9 did surprisingly well for the piece of shit it is.

So what's next for Nintendo and Tecmo? Hyrule Warriors 2? Fire Emblem Warriors 2? Splatoon Musou?

Oct 26, 2017

Fatal Frame 6 on Switch could surprise. Didn't FF5 do most on Wii U in the series?

What I WISH Nintendo would revive with KT is Monster Rancher. hell they have they PERFECT thing to replicate that CD monster creation thing; the IR camera. Simply scan anything and boom, instant monster depending on... whatever!

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It seemed to have been marketed a lot but man did that game not look appealing. FEW somehow seemed more. I don't think the open world was worth it.
That is something that I'm curious to see, do they just go back to classic-style DW for 10 or maybe try to double down on the open world stuff that has been, well, divisive to put it mildly. I imagine the costs to make 9 were higher than previous entries, so maybe they will recoup by making a DW9 Xtreme Legends or something.

Please this.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/posts/2296848/

And don't worry : the fact that you don't even get that installed base = market and how big it is will have a direct impact on how that market will be profitable for third parties appears not only as nonsensical to me as my comments seems to look to you but I would even say utterly ridiculous in fact. But what should I expect from someone who has so little to say to defend his point of view than a totally trollish answer like "Nonsense" ? Not much obviously. You can continue to try to dissect awkwardly my posts if you find so much fun doing that but I certainly won't lose my time replying to you anymore.

So you ended up quoting the last of your posts in that thread which did nothing to support your original argument: "Third parties are delaying making games for Switch because the hardware is sold out in Japan and falling behind 3DS."

Anyone could see Switch was going to be behind 3DS in Japan on December 20th last year, what doesn't make sense is that claim you've made about third parties for Switch which others have pointed out.

I read it and you moved goal posts while being unable to concede that you are.

Pretty sure that's not what he's saying.

I mean even if I told you plainly, you wouldn't try to believe it, judging from how long this discussion has been going on.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Zero 6 seems highly probable at this point. Nintendo made a deal for that freaking snk heroines game I can't see why they wouldn't bankroll a franchise that has a history on their systems. Probably less censorship in the west this time.
They do seem very invested in making Zero their main horror series (Eternal Darkness where u at) and the multimedia venture they did with 5 seem like it did good so I can totally see a new entry happening sooner than later.
Z6 in my veins please.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You have to take digital into account, I have it digitally and it was pushed as pre-order situation where you can get it early

Umm... dw or aot2?

DW9 did surprisingly well for the piece of shit it is.

So what's next for Nintendo and Tecmo? Hyrule Warriors 2? Fire Emblem Warriors 2? Splatoon Musou?

DW9 is their flagship title with bigger budget and huge marketing push.

The fact that it is under spinoff title is pathetic from KT if u ask me.

I would love Ninja Gaiden or Zero series return first there.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What DQ are you talking about?

You're ignoring sales of TLoU and focusing on reviews. Most people don't read reviews.

No, they don't have their own metric of what a good game is. Unless that metric is being Japanese.
This is insane. Are americans called racist or biased when good japanese games fail to sell in the US?

God of War isn't that appealing to them and that's ok. It will sell gangbusters everywhere else. Jeez.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
You might want to note this.

Launch aligned numbers:

3DS HW LTD
Worldwide: 17.13M
Japan: 5.85M

3DS SW LTD
Worldwide: 45.42M
Japan: 13.31M

Switch HW LTD
Worldwide: 17.79M
Japan: 4.38M

Switch SW LTD
Worldwide: 68.97M
Japan: 13.15M

Switch is a much better platform than 3DS, both in Japan and especially WW.

Software in Japan is equal with less support from 3rd parties
Sogtware WW is on a different league.

And of course the harware is being sold at a profit this time.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 shipped + digital as of 31st of March:
Japan - 2.61M

Splatoon 2 M-C and Famitsu:
M-C: Splatoon 2 - 2.19M
Famitsu: Splatoon 2 - 2.17M

M-C vs Shipped + Digital Difference: 420K
Famitsu vs Shipped + Digital Difference: 440K

Super Mario Odyssey shipped + digital as of 31st of March:
Japan - 1.91M

Super Mario Odyssey M-C and Famitsu:
M-C: SMO - 1.67M
Famitsu: SMO - 1.62M

M-C vs Shipped + Digital Difference: 240K
Famitsu vs Shipped + Digital Difference: 290K

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe shipped + digital as of 31st of March:
Japan - 1.68M

MK8D M-C and Famitsu:
M-C: MK8D - 1.44M
Famitsu: MK8D - 1.40M

M-C vs Shipped + Digital Difference: 240K
Famitsu vs Shipped + Digital Difference: 280K

Overall Splatoon 2 digital sales should be well above >300K. this should put Splatoon 2 around 13-15% digital, personally I think at most unsold stock/in-transit stock doesn't amount to more than 50K based on the amount of copies Splatoon 2 sales weekly in Japan. So Splatoon 2's digital sales should be close to 14% of that shipped number.
In terms of MK8D once again I think there should be no more than 40K stock at retailers/in transit, meaning that MK8D digital sales from the shipped number should be between 10-14%.
Finally SMO had already slowed down by the end of March so I don't think stores/in transit copies should amount to more than 25K, meaning that it's likely the digital sales are between 11-13%

Overall this already shows that Digital Sales are picking up considerably compared to the 3DS/Wii U days for the Switch. And the other thing to keep in mind is that none of these games have had any type of eShop promotion. One reason I think 1-2 Switch and Arms possibly have gained a bit of digital sales in the last quarter is because they both had promotions running - 1-2 Switch during December, while Arms had a discount in a few months.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
You might want to note this.

Launch aligned numbers:

3DS HW LTD
Worldwide: 17.13M
Japan: 5.85M

3DS SW LTD
Worldwide: 45.42M
Japan: 13.31M

Switch HW LTD
Worldwide: 17.79M
Japan: 4.38M

Switch SW LTD
Worldwide: 68.97M
Japan: 13.15M
Nintendo's next FY predictions for the switch are very interesting. It implies a pretty large ramp up in terms of major AAA titles I think which it seen more likely Pokemon is actually coming and maybe Animal crossing as well.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Courtesy of Celine:

Operating Income and Net Income in the first full fiscal year for 3DS and Switch:

First full FY for 3DS:
FY 12/03 Operating Income: -37,300 million yen
FY 12/03 Net Income: -43,200 million yen

First full FY for Switch:
FY 18/03 Operating Income: 177,557 million yen
FY 18/03 Net Income: 139,590 million yen

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Nintendo looking at Switch selling 1 million less than the 3DS in Japan

giphy.gif

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Switch is a much better platform than 3DS, both in Japan and especially WW.

Software in Japan is equal with less support from 3rd parties
Sogtware WW is on a different league.

Much much better.

Operating Income and Net Income in the first full fiscal year for 3DS and Switch:

First full FY for 3DS:
FY 12/03 Operating Income: -37,300 million yen
FY 12/03 Net Income: -43,200 million yen

First full FY for Switch:
FY 18/03 Operating Income: 177,557 million yen
FY 18/03 Net Income: 139,590 million yen

EDIT: Whoops already posted!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Switch hardware sold vs. Switch hardware shipped for Japan each quarter (Media Create):

Q1 CY2017:
sold: 565.013
shipped: 0.60M

Q2 CY2017:
sold: 1.039.825
shipped: 1.12M

Q3 CY2017:
sold: 1.784.184
shipped: 1.95M

Q4 CY2017:
sold: 3.312.619
shipped: 3.72M

Q1 CY2018:
sold: 3.996.781
shipped: 4.38M

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never got into the KT doom train, but their numbers are surprising (and nice!) even to me. Are they doing that well in Asia?

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
How much shipped the first attack on titan first quarter and lifetime ( if we know numbers)?

Also that was a very good quarter for Nintendo, in every sense. Switch at ~3 million is about what i expected in January.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Switch hardware sold vs. Switch hardware shipped for Japan each quarter (Media Create):

Q1 CY2017:
sold: 565.013
shipped: 0.60M

Q2 CY2017:
sold: 1.039.825
shipped: 1.12M

Q3 CY2017:
sold: 1.784.184
shipped: 1.95M

Q4 CY2017:
sold: 3.312.619
shipped: 3.72M

Q1 CY2018:
sold: 3.996.781
shipped: 4.38M

So there is no stock issues?
In Q1 and Q2 maybe if the stock were larger the sells would follow. But in Q3/Q4 2017 and Q1 2018 the margin is enough to say that production is higher than demand.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say it was good, just better than the game deserves rofl

Haha. I am feeling good on FEW lol. I can see if FEW sequel happen and all the improvement is implemented, it will be a rare case of Musou where the sequel sold more than its first one.

Xenoblade 2 reached 310,000 in japan

So my feeling that Xeno 2 is still selling great even outside of top 20 is correct then. Lets see how far Xeno 2 can goes lol.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
730k, we actually have numbers since this morning but I thought people posted them already.

Wow, D9 could actually go on to sell 1 million+ and beat DW8,7 and 6 in WW sales.
It could have been so much more if the game was well received though.

They should get the Nioh team to make a Mysterious Murasame Castle revival.

The Nioh team should make a game people actual care about and bought: Nioh 2 :)

DW9 is their flagship title with bigger budget and huge marketing push.

The fact that it is under spinoff title is pathetic from KT if u ask me.

I would love Ninja Gaiden or Zero series return first there.

Looks like someone doesn't understand how franchise strength works.
DW at its peak on PS2 only did 2.2 million WW and the series had halved since then. DW9 is on track to outsell 6,7 and 8 so its great news for KT even though reception for the game was bad.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, D9 could actually go on to sell 1 million+ and beat DW8,7 and 6 in WW sales.

DW at its peak on PS2 only did 2.2 million WW and the series had halved since then. DW9 is on track to outsell 6,7 and 8 so its great news for KT even though reception for the game was bad.
I mean regardless DW continuing to be as cross-over reliant as it is isn't an amazing place to be. It would depend on how much they actually give to Nintendo/IS but aside from that FEW is almost certainly the more profitable venture.

Looking back FEW really did great it's most probably the reason why Q3 was the largest it at been in terms of profitable for a long while.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
For those interested in the finacial status of KT here's rainrir's translation of an analsyt report.

I will restore my post out of respect for Nibel's recommendations

TECMO KOEI

OXVWrDR.png

Next, we have Tecmo Koei Holdings. Compared to the same period last year, we have reduced revenue yet greatly increased profits: revenue is down 0.7% to 24 billion yen, while operating profit is up 62% to 5.6 billion

In the third quarter, since the company released "Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi" and "Atelier Lydie and Suelle" domestically, and released "Fire Emblem Warriors" overseas, it has achieved a vast increase in profits. While there this company has a habit of concentrating its profit generation towards the 4th quarter, we believe that the company already managed to have good year given the performance up to the third quarter.

Given that from an early stage the company has been enthusiastic supporter of the Nintendo Switch, it has not yet able to show satisfactory results. While the reasons for this are unclear at this current moment, we suspect it could be the influence of not going all out to bring all titles to the Nintendo Switch. We look forward to what support will become going forward.

TLDR:
This is from me
  • Also, when analysts say KT is "well run", the refer to its unusually high revenue to gross profit ratio. Look at the relative size of the red bars to the blue bars for the past 5 years, and compare it to the other companies
  • However, KT can't relying on being well run forever given the waning strength of its IP

FEW released in Q3. It seems reasonably likely that release greatly contributed to biggest Q3 the company's every had.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
So... 1M for Fire Emblem Musou?
730k DW9
520k SnK2

Must not be too hard to guess sales outside Japan.

Actually page 25 of the Financial Results contains a graph with regional shares for several games, starting from the first Hokuto no Musou and ending with Attack on Titan 2. Blue = Japan, Red = Overseas (Asia included). If anyone's willing to do some pixel counting, we might get decent estimates of Japanese and overseas shipments for Fire Emblem Warriors, Dynasty Warriors 9 and Attack on Titan 2, three of the most recent titles included in the graph.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing is that it's actually turned into the console industry. It's a mix of very well established games, and the new games that break out are those with fantastic production values, well received gameplay, and excellently run services.

Two recent-ish breakout hits are BanG Dream and Princess Connect, both of which are fully voiced games with hours upon hours of acting by popular actresses, nice looking art, and very aggressive update schedules. BanG Dream is also a notably well made rhythm game (I can't speak to Princess Connect's gameplay as it's not out in English).

You have a bunch of companies trying to put out new mobile games with 2014-2015 level content, game design, and production values into this market, and they keep failing, while their games that have had years of quality build up and audience investment keep succeeding.

Eventually they will figure out that they have to go really big at launch if they want new games to succeed like CyGamws does. Square Enix's full 3D monster/character Dragon Quest card game was notably their newest (and only directly published) successful mobile game last fiscal year.

Now, it's possible to get modest successes with less than that, but that doesn't move the needle at a company like Square or Namco.

Amidst all the stuff in the past week I somehow missed this bit. Both developers of the titles you've listed (Craft Egg and Cygames) are under the CyberAgent group who had just posted their 2Q results today. They've mostly been an advertising company and that's been driving growth despite the Game section booming over the past few years their game revenue/profit have been stagnant which might support the argument that the mobile space is stagnating but that's due to the reason you've (and Sega've) stated - to breakout these days mobile games need good to great production values which take longer to develop for. Princess Connect's success is surprising as the original game was shut down after a year and has spent three years in development as per this piece on their website (in English).
https://www.cyberagent.co.jp/en/way/features/list/detail/id=21518

I also only came on since CyberAgent have released their 2Q results which other than touting the above, didn't have much to say other than revenues hitting their highest quarter and operating profit up there too - that said the their focus these days is heavy investment into AbemaTV (Internet streaming TV). Still, they did just take out ~40 billion in convertible bonds back in February or so for potential M&A but I think there wouldn't be much of that on the Game side as opposed to Media. Their English report and financial webcast are here. (Not region locked)
https://www.cyberagent.co.jp/en/ir/library/results/
https://freshlive.tv/cairen/200019

Their idea of successful games are Grossing rank 50 earlier but is starting to widen to 100 which I also put to the widening base of successful games in the 10-50 range like FF Brave Exvius, FEH and so on.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I dont think DW9 is going to have any good leg to go there considering how bad the WoM is. DW9 for me is a special case as it is supposed to be the one which revitalize musou series and when it did below than a simple crossover musou, u can see how bad Koei F up their chance there.