• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect those Switch ports are selling really well for Capcom. I don't think they're trolling the Switch base but are getting good returns from the stuff they put out.
you know what would give them good returns? Monster Hunter Stories

throw me a fucking bone here, Capcom

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Basara falls under Dev 2 who doesn't use RE Engine. If we get another Basara it'll be MT Framework although that in itself doesn't guarantee Switch either.

Capcom still highlights the IP in their IR periodically too due to licensing/merchandise, despite there not being a new game release in several years now.
Monster Hunter World is MT Framework, even if they go with that engine nothing changes for Switch. Not that a sequel looks possible either way.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was never a believer of capcom turning around on switch, it always felt like they were dragged kicking and screaming to support it but people kept bringing up that they were taken by surprise despite being one of the 1st to get a switch devkit and that they needed time to get those games out.
but here we are almost halfway through year 3 and they just kinda farted out an announcement of a nearly 20 year old game that was previously released only a few years ago with 2 more games in a collection and some people are proud to say that they well support the system

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Capcom is totally gonna turn the corner on Switch support. Any second now. Lmao. I said it before to lots of criticism, they made it perfectly clear since forever they aren't developing serious efforts on the Switch. It wasn't a matter of "late to the party" with them.
Capcom's handling of the Wii was quite bad (won't mention WiiU since there they just did like everybody else) . 3DS was the outlier, and even that was mostly in its beginning (Revelaitons), and later it was MH. Which is why I am not surprised at all by the way they handle Switch, nor do I expect much from them. I think 3DS was the exception, not the rule.

Last edited:

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
Tomorrow, there will be Capcom financial results announcement ( and friday May 10th, FY presentation ), so perhaps we will have one word of Capcom support for Switch system. For Capcom platinum list, we will have new entries as Resident evil 2, DMC 5 and perhaps Mega man 11 which was at 870K ( 31 december 2018 ). MHXX is at 3 millions ( 3ds + switch ), so we will see if it keeps selling well.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I think Capcom has made it clear since long time ago they don't intend to give Switch serious support, they never stated anything different and now backpedal.

Ace Attorney and Mega Man are the IPs that will see new releases on Switch and both are b-tier from budget to sales.

Monster Hunter is the only question mark and could shake things but even if that happens it will likely be Switch exclusive with no chance the system getting the next big multiplatform entry.
I don't see the problem in Switch getting an exclusive MH and not receiving the next big multiplatform release. If Switch gets any new MH game (not just stories) I would consider Capcom support to have risen considerably.

I am not holding my breath though.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I thought that the Capcom support over Switch was already a burnt bridge. Then they keep coming back, surely with efortless interactions, but while Okami was surely something that was requested, Devil May Cry doesn't make any sense, UNLESS if we address the elephant in the room.

I think we should incarnate Tom Clancy and work over the information we have and speculate some stuff.

_At this point, could we assume that the Switch already overtook the PS4 in Japan? If yes, is the approach of the company over the console will continue the same?
_Can we assume that the next Monster Hunter is already in development for the next generation? Or the fallacy of the GaaS will continue for a while?
_Will the financial results have any impact over their strategy for the next generation of consoles? Because, in a short term, I doubt that Capcom will bring anything relevant for the initial years of the PS5 that isn't a MHW port with some kind of save transfer.

Considering that the development costs will peak again, I really doubt that Capcom will make an early move over the next generation. If that will benefit the Switch is totally different story.

With streaming as a factor too, it turns the whole market in a big question mark. Are the japanese people fondle over the stream gaming? I'm honestly asking.

Also, I don't know why, but I'm pretty surprised that the EGS didn't already made their mover over MHW exclusivity

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom was getting carried by the 3DS while they flounder their MH money trying to gain a foothold of this gen and most of their big studios didnt get to pump a game out until the 4th and 5th year of the PS4 and XB1's life cycle, i actually do wonder what they plan to do for next gen

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom was getting carried by the 3DS while they flounder their MH money trying to gain a foothold of this gen and most of their big studios didnt get to pump a game out until the 4th and 5th year of the PS4 and XB1's life cycle, i actually do wonder what they plan to do for next gen
spend a shitload of money participating in the arms race

maybe we can get something like Deep Down but actually released on the PS5/XB2

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Go all in with the high end machines. What else can they do? A bespoke Monster Hunter for Switch would have a budget closer to World than a 3DS game.

Nekki

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Capcoms best bet is actually on a Switch Pro, to make their customers double dip on older games and finance their PS5 projects.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Capcoms best bet is actually on a Switch Pro, to make their customers double dip on older games and finance their PS5 projects.
Waiting for Switch Pro to suddenly turn things around for Capcom is like reading that Capcom is always slow with new machines and Switch support is surely coming.

Oct 29, 2017
One of the biggest reasons why Capcom continues to support the Switch in earnest is because they lost that cushy publishing deal that saw NOE/NOA fully funding all of their international releases in the 3DS era.

That's the risk Nintendo took when they funded all 3rd party western publishing duties on 3DS. It really pissed Capcom off when Nintendo took it away (USF2 was the last Capcom game to get given that treatment).

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
One of the biggest reasons why Capcom continues to support the Switch in earnest is because they lost that cushy publishing deal that saw NOE/NOA fully funding all of their international releases in the 3DS era.

That's the risk Nintendo took when they funded all 3rd party western publishing duties on 3DS. It really pissed Capcom off when Nintendo took it away (USF2 was the last Capcom game to get given that treatment).

it's because nintendo knews what games they were developing and for what platforms. of course they stopped helping em Lol.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Capcom enjoyed another highly profitable fiscal year by mainly targeting overseas audience with big budget flagship titles. To expect it to turn its back on what's working, other than a potential Switch Monster Hunter exclusive, is just foolish.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It really pissed Capcom off when Nintendo took it away (USF2 was the last Capcom game to get given that treatment).
It's the other way around, Nintendo took away the publishing support when they saw how little Capcom intended supporting the Switch (they clearly also knew about MHW a long time before it was announced).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Capcom enjoyed another highly profitable fiscal year by mainly targeting overseas audience with big budget flagship titles. To expect it to turn its back on what's working, other than a potential Switch Monster Hunter exclusive, is just foolish.
Don't think anyone was expecting that. Just that they would do a bit better than port only the first game of a collection released on PS4/XB1.

It's been established, though, that even that is wishing for too much from Capcom with regards to Switch.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Asking for the HD collection of Devil May Cry vs just the first game only in digital is asking Capcom to turn their back on what's working?

Like I had a low bar after that nonsense about the dragon's dogma test, but this really blew me away.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I don't know why, but I'm pretty surprised that the EGS didn't already made their mover over MHW exclusivity

Given how much work Steam had to put in to be seen as a viable and profitable avenue for releasing games in Japan - and how relatively recent that move is - I'd be surprised if Japanese publishers are past the honeymoon stage on that front. Right now I'd be very surprised if they weren't extremely cautious about another company trying to move in.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Always remember. Put Cac at lowest possible spectrum of support regarding Switch support. They are not even able to give a proper trilogy port lol.

Switch is after all, Ninty first party machine with Bamco late port sprinkle around and some other third party with quality indie support.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Always remember. Put Cac at lowest possible spectrum of support regarding Switch support. They are not even able to give a proper trilogy port lol.

Switch is after all, Ninty first party machine with Bamco late port sprinkle around and some other third party with quality indie support.

If we're talking about the Japanese third party support, that seems...quite reductive, both for Namco and the situation as a whole, even with the stuff still missing :P

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I had made my peace with Capcom support and even appreciated it for what it was when they started putting out ports like Beat Em Up bundle, Onimusha and Street Fighter Anniversary day and date with other consoles, but with the RE ports and now DMC I feel like we're back to square one.

I still believe MH is coming, probably announced this year, so there's that.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the problem in Switch getting an exclusive MH and not receiving the next big multiplatform release. If Switch gets any new MH game (not just stories) I would consider Capcom support to have risen considerably.

I am not holding my breath though.
It's not 2010 anymore and Switch isn't 3DS, either you embrace multiplatform for serious support or not. No company has the resources to spend 2-3 years of development for continued exclusive titles. Even if Monster Hunter Switch is real it will be desert again from Capcom after that.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure why people are assuming a new MonHun game teased with the word "Next" would be a Switch game and not a game for the next generation of consoles which is only a year away.

Nekki

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Waiting for Switch Pro to suddenly turn things around for Capcom is like reading that Capcom is always slow with new machines and Switch support is surely coming.

I didn't mean to say that doing so would save the company. Just that it would remain to be their MO as far as Nintendo support is concerned.

Nekki

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
And as I said before a potential Switch Pro (if it's really a PS4 Pro and not a New 3DS like revision) will change nothing between Nintendo and Capcom.

Which is what I meant, lol. Old and late ports, maybe one or two games planned for the platform. Rest of the money goes toward next gen.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Which is what I meant, lol. Old and late ports, maybe one or two games planned for the platform. Rest of the money goes toward next gen.
What does Switch Pro have to do with Capcom's old and late ports. No company will develop exclusively for it ignoring base Switch.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, you're not Nintendo Soup!

I went this morning to Akihabara to pick up a copy for myself, when I realized it was sold out in Yodobashi, so I head to Bic Camera which it was sold out as well.
Then I checked online which stores in Tokyo still had stock availabe to go there and buy it, but it seems the only places in Tokyo with stock available are the store in Haneda Airport lol and stores in Odaiba (an island in front of Tokyo lol). And in Amazon.jp seems it is being sold by third parties.
I'm not going to go to the Airport or Odaiba, so I will wait next week or whenever Square restocks the game, that going by history could last several weeks.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
FFXII is in stock on Amazon (Sold by Amazon proper, not 3rd party) and ranked around #80 right now, so there doesn't seem to be anything.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I thought that the Capcom support over Switch was already a burnt bridge. Then they keep coming back, surely with efortless interactions, but while Okami was surely something that was requested, Devil May Cry doesn't make any sense, UNLESS if we address the elephant in the room.

I think we should incarnate Tom Clancy and work over the information we have and speculate some stuff.

_At this point, could we assume that the Switch already overtook the PS4 in Japan? If yes, is the approach of the company over the console will continue the same?
_Can we assume that the next Monster Hunter is already in development for the next generation? Or the fallacy of the GaaS will continue for a while?
_Will the financial results have any impact over their strategy for the next generation of consoles? Because, in a short term, I doubt that Capcom will bring anything relevant for the initial years of the PS5 that isn't a MHW port with some kind of save transfer.

Considering that the development costs will peak again, I really doubt that Capcom will make an early move over the next generation. If that will benefit the Switch is totally different story.

With streaming as a factor too, it turns the whole market in a big question mark. Are the japanese people fondle over the stream gaming? I'm honestly asking.

Capcom has found success with catering to international markets, so they don't really need to adapt to the Switch's dominance on Japan. Sega, however, could use as much revenue as they can get.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Exactly. Capcom are making the right moves and their financials prove it.

If the switch was as powerful as the base ps4/xbox and wasn't released so late into the gen it would have gotten more AAA Capcom titles assuming it still sold well.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

If the switch was as powerful as the base ps4/xbox and wasn't released so late into the gen it would have gotten more AAA Capcom titles assuming it still sold well.
The DMC HD collection is a AAA title?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

People aren't even asking for AAA support from Capcom. Like many were asking for RE and DMC ports for example and look at how they handled those.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

A MH Switch game before World 2 (which likely will take some years to release) would sell 3-5m and would be relatively cheap to produce (with likely Nintendo support over distribution and promotion rights) so I don't see how that would be an unprofitable or bad investment.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Capcom is treating PS4/XB1/PC players well but leaving Nintendo players slim pickings with sometimes overpriced ports of old games

Edit: Used weaker language

Last edited: