• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Kirby Star Allies vs Kirby Triple Deluxe

2018_05_02_22_54_16.jpg
It's amazing how closely star allies follows triple deluxe's trajectory week after week, holy shit. It will probably continue next week with golden week causing star allies to remain flat or possibly have a bump.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Can somebody compare GOW (2018) second week number to GOW3 and GOW:A second week numbers/drop?

https://www./threads/media-create-sales-mar-22-28-2010.391696/

GOW 3 week 1 sales:

06. / 00. [PS3] God of War III (SCE) - 43.181 / NEW

https://www./threads/media-create-sales-mar-29-apr-4-2010.392261/page-4#post-20774808

GoW 3 week 2 sales (Famitsu):

13./05. [PS3] God of War III (SCEI) - 16,022 / 60,605 (-64%)

Oct 26, 2017
You're being incredibly unclear on what you think people would assume LABO will do in terms of your analogy. Did you mean slow burn but consistent sales of a new IP like Splatoon 1 or the explosive and faster steadying sales of a proven concept like Splatoon 2.

I put Splatoon just because that was a more "mild" hit than WiiFit which Labo is sometimes compared to. I should have just said that some people seemed to expect 5-10m lifetime sales worldwide for Labo and for Labo to cause a big HW sales increase. So far, Labo has not done anything for hardware.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's amazing how closely star allies follows triple deluxe's trajectory week after week, holy shit. It will probably continue next week with golden week causing star allies to remain flat or possibly have a bump.

It's amazing considering that Triple Deluxe was released at the end of 3DS 3rd year on a 11m+ installed base.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is almost hilarious, people in this thread judging sales after two weeks and it being called a "flop" dear lord. What in the world makes anyone think this is going to behave / sell like a traditional game release when it clearly is not? This is a product aimed at long term sales and success not huge, front loaded numbers followed by nothing. Toy sales have the VAST majority of their sales around holidays / christmas - this will behave sales wise closer to a toy than a video game.

After Christmas when this has sold millions of units worldwide posts like this are going to a riot to look back on
Next week is a holiday. We don't need to wait till Christmas. Either a lof of posters in this thread will look stupid or you will.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I never used the word "flop" for you to put it on quotes.
And again, a product can be profitable without being successful.

Yeh I know you didn't directly call it a flop although others did (and surely if you are saying it is unsuccessful its also a flop - same thing). My point which you completely missed is that calling a product unsuccessful after two weeks of sales is laughably shortsighted. LABO is aimed very specifically at children as a toy, that will have 80-90% of its sales come during the holidays / Christmas - looking at its sales after two weeks tells you almost nothing and yet here you are saying it looks to be doomed. It is hilarious.

If this goes on to sell 3-5 million lifetime which I suspect it will do easily it will have been arguably more successful than any other Switch title given it sells at a higher price and would have cost a fraction to develop compared to something like BOTW / Odyssey

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say it, but I think Labo not doing great ultimately is a good thing for the Switch and Nintendo.

Nintendo I think still is in a bit of denial that the Wii/DS era is over, but the sooner they get the message that they can't rely on this type of stuff to carry hardware sales the better off they will be.

Nintendo needs to realize that Switch may well be a system that simply doesn't have a Wii Sports/Brain Training type break out hit that "expands" the market. You can still sell as many systems or more through good execution (basically Sony has been doing it for 20 years) and an overall robust software library + continued strong marketing. Games like Breath of The Wild can get them there.

I think that's just a tough pill for Nintendo to accept because really their business philosophy post-GameCube has been effectively always looking for that Brain Training type craze to carry hardware sales. They may simply have to accept that smartphones have irrevocably changed the landscape for an idea like that to take hold.

It's better Nintendo knows this early in the Switch life cycle too. There's nothing wrong with experimenting but I think it may also be dawning on Nintendo now that the Switch product is its own beast and they have to play this differently than trying to shoe horn the system into being a Wii or DS type product. They are going to really have to look at what made the Switch so successful in its first year and realize that is probably the formula, not now trying to change up the system's appeal.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say it, but I think Labo not doing great ultimately is a good thing for the Switch and Nintendo.

Nintendo I think still is in a bit of denial that the Wii/DS era is over, but the sooner they get the message that they can't rely on this type of stuff to carry hardware sales the better off they will be.

Nintendo needs to realize that Switch may well be a system that simply doesn't have a Wii Sports/Brain Training type break out hit that "expands" the market. You can still sell as many systems or more through good execution (basically Sony has been doing it for 20 years) and an overall robust software library + continued strong marketing. Games like Breath of The Wild can get them there.

I think that's just a tough pill for Nintendo to accept because really their business philosophy post-GameCube has been effectively always looking for that Brain Training type craze to carry hardware sales. They may simply have to accept that smartphones have irrevocably changed the landscape for an idea like that to take hold.

It's better Nintendo knows this early in the Switch life cycle too. There's nothing wrong with experimenting but I think it may also be dawning on Nintendo now that the Switch product is its own beast and they have to play this differently than trying to shoe horn the system into being a Wii or DS type product.

Nintendo needs to create games targeted at a larger audience to encourage the next generation of dedicated hardware gamers. Without the introduction Nintendo tends to give, many would probably stick to mobile devices and never transition to a dedicated device. The end result would be even more bleak for the dedicated games industry.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
How is GoW doing compared to previous titles?
Ascension only did like 19K on release week and didnt even chart in Week 2

for III
06. / 00. [PS3] God of War III (SCE) - 43.181 / NEW (https://www./threads/media-create-sales-mar-22-28-2010.391696/)
13. / 06. [PS3] God of War III (SCE) - (Not a number given but the last number ranked wa 21K, so its below that https://www./threads/media-create-sales-mar-29-apr-4-2010.392261/)

Oct 26, 2017

It's better Nintendo knows this early in the Switch life cycle too. There's nothing wrong with experimenting but I think it may also be dawning on Nintendo now that the Switch product is its own beast and they have to play this differently than trying to shoe horn the system into being a Wii or DS type product.

I mean, Labo is like the second "casual" game Nintendo has made for Switch. It's not like they've gone all out on the concept.

I still think a Labo type product could be extremely successful, but it needs.

1. Based around a non-cardboard material, too many people associate cardboard with being lame or cheap.
2. Ability to make your own interesting creations without extremely advanced logic skills.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Next week is a holiday. We don't need to wait till Christmas. Either a lof of posters in this thread will look stupid or you will.

Haha yeh ok sure. I wasn't talking about golden week - not all holidays are equal, and toy sales do not spike during this time like at others but sure mate, clearly I am wrong and we can expect hardware bumps of 200/300% next week and many software titles doing 300-400k. Sure thats exactly what will transpire mate. Sure. Positive

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's try:

35k only for PS4, even though it only sold 13k last week and 11K the week before that resulting in only 59K for 3 Weeks meaning it got roughly 19,6K Units per week on average and has been declining in sales ever since the release of Monster Hunter World under the alibi of being "sold out".

38K for the Switch is pretty awful, selling not even half as much units as last year the same week, I think it's a sign that the Switch will be done for within a few more months as no one seems to be interested in it anymore, truly a WiiU2.
Ahh sorry, that is really bad. You put to much work and knowledge into this!

Can't wait to see botw switch being 1 million in retail alone!

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Yeh I know you didn't directly call it a flop although others did (and surely if you are saying it is unsuccessful its also a flop - same thing). My point which you completely missed is that calling a product unsuccessful after two weeks of sales is laughably shortsighted. LABO is aimed very specifically at children as a toy, that will have 80-90% of its sales come during the holidays / Christmas - looking at its sales after two weeks tells you almost nothing and yet here you are saying it looks to be doomed. It is hilarious.

If this goes on to sell 3-5 million lifetime which I suspect it will do easily it will have been arguably more successful than any other Switch title given it sells at a higher price and would have cost a fraction to develop compared to something like BOTW / Odyssey
Could you quote these people because no one in this thread used the word flop before you (I checked).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo needs to create games targeted at a larger audience to create the next generation of dedicated hardware gamers. Without the introduction Nintendo tends to give, many would probably stick to mobile devices and never transition to a dedicated device. The end result would be even more bleak for the dedicated games industry.

Trying to "force" that though IMO isn't going to work great. Those things happened naturally on the NES, SNES, N64, etc. I think they need to get over this idea that they must have a Brain Training/Wii Sports type hit and that they can't be successful without that.

The Switch is its own beast, Nintendo I think is still having a bit of a trouble accepting that a large part of the system's appeal is "big gaming" on the go, anywhere. That's what makes the system special and different especially in a world flooded with smartphone games, Breath of the Wild is actually in today's market something special and disruptive, whereas Labo and 1,2 Switch are ideas that quite honestly could be done on a smartphone and/or have other types of apps that try to do somewhat similar things are generally boring to consumers because that type of thing is being done all the time today.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They waited 2 years between Powerful Pro Baseball releases and it still had an overall sales decline.

How does that happen?
The PS4+PSV performance is only 1,9% down compared to 2016. They basically lost the PS3's share. I think a lot of it has to do with the popularity of mobile games and maybe the increase of digital share. Konami has a very successful mobile game based on this series. The PSV is getting old, so while some may have shifted to the PS4, it's clear that the PS4 (and home consoles in general) isn't such an attractive device for the Japanese, and a lot of handheld players may have moved to the mobile game.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Sony finally woke up about that shortage, and to risk repeating myself, man those Zelda legs are unheard of for this IP.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The PS4+PSV performance is only 1,9% down compared to 2016. They basically lost the PS3's share. I think a lot of it has to do with the popularity of mobile games and maybe the increase of digital share. Konami has a very successful mobile game based on this series. The PSV is getting old, so while some may have shifted to the PS4, it's clear that the PS4 (and home consoles in general) isn't such an attractive device for the Japanese, and a lot of handheld players may have moved to the mobile game.

The decline of sales between PS3/PS4/PSV and PS4/PSV is worrying though. Losts of sales are lost and when PSV will be done PS4 won't be able to carry the market of these games by itself.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

It's better Nintendo knows this early in the Switch life cycle too. There's nothing wrong with experimenting but I think it may also be dawning on Nintendo now that the Switch product is its own beast and they have to play this differently than trying to shoe horn the system into being a Wii or DS type product. They are going to really have to look at what made the Switch so successful in its first year and realize that is probably the formula, not now trying to change up the system's appeal.
>Nintendo tries to expand gaming userbase to more casual people
>No!, Nintendo should old make mature games for mature gamers such as myself

man, is not like Nintendo is putting 7 teams behind LABO or other pet projects.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to "force" that though IMO isn't going to work great. Those things happened naturally on the NES, SNES, N64, etc. I think they need to get over this idea that they must have a Brain Training/Wii Sports type hit and that they can't be successful without that.

The Switch is its own beast, Nintendo I think is still having a bit of a trouble accepting that a large part of the system's appeal is "big gaming" on the go, anywhere. That's what makes the system special and different especially in a world flooded with smartphone games, Breath of the Wild is actually in today's market something special and disruptive, whereas Labo and 1,2 Switch are ideas that quite honestly could be done on a smartphone and/or have other types of apps that try to do somewhat similar things are generally boring to consumers because that type of thing is being done all the time today.
I don't think trying new and creative ideas is trying to 'force' anything. Nintendo will continue making big games on Switch as well as doing unique creative stuff as they always have. They haven't tried to force much of anything out of LABO.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think trying new and creative ideas is trying to 'force' anything. Nintendo will continue making big games on Switch as well as doing unique creative stuff as they always have. They haven't tried to force much of anything out of LABO.

I agree with that, they thought this was a cool idea that a lot of kids would like so they released it. They're not spending $100M advertising this thing or anything, lol.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
>Nintendo tries to expand gaming userbase to more casual people
>No!, Nintendo should old make mature games for mature gamers such as myself

man, is not like Nintendo is putting 7 teams behind LABO or other pet projects.

No, but it's also relatively clear to me that they keep emphasizing this idea that they need to "expand" the Switch in different ways and made Labo (really) their big 1st half 2018 release/Golden Week title in Japan.

I think the sooner they realize the Switch's central appeal is "big scope" gaming that you wouldn't expect from a portable device and not more "experimental" type software is what's driving the product's appeal the sooner they can focus strategy on that.

There's nothing wrong with having to sell systems a different way than always relying on a Brain Training or Wii Sports type "expansion" hit. Nintendo did it just fine in the days before the Wii/DS, Sony does it all the time. It just means you might have to focus and emphasize harder on different things, which is what I think Nintendo is a bit nervous about.

I think in a way they're feeling like "wait, all we had to do was make a portable game system more like a console and it'd be successful just on that basis? No tricks or gimmicks needed?". I think Nintendo is still struggling a bit to wrap their heads around that idea.

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is actually in today's market something special and disruptive, whereas Labo and 1,2 Switch are ideas that quite honestly could be done on a smartphone and/or have other types of apps that try to do somewhat similar things are generally boring to consumers because that type of thing is being done all the time today.

There's nothing wrong with having to sell systems a different way than always relying on a Brain Training or Wii Sports type "expansion" hit. Nintendo did it just fine in the days before the Wii/DS, Sony does it all the time. It just means you might have to focus and emphasize harder on different things, which is what I think Nintendo is a bit nervous about.
A lot of words to say Nintendo should spit in the faces of casuals, man.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The decline of sales between PS3/PS4/PSV and PS4/PSV is worrying though. Losts of sales are lost and when PSV will be done PS4 won't be able to carry the market of these games by itself.
I agree. That's why I think a NSW version is very important (maybe with the roster update next year?).
As for the PS3+PS4+PSV to PS4+PSV decline, that's a market-wide problem and not something specific to this series. It's still a problem of course, but not a brand problem.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The Snack World 3DS v. Switch:

02./00. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5) {2017.08.10} (¥4.800) - 97.534 / NEW
04./02. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5) {2017.08.10} (¥4.800) - 25.674 / 123.208 (-74%)
06./04. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5) {2017.08.10} (¥4.800) - 14.764 / 137.972 (-42%)

01./00. [NSW] The Snack World: TreJarers Gold <RPG> (Level 5) {2018.04.12} (¥5.980) - 35.655 / NEW
06./01. [NSW] The Snack World: TreJarers Gold <RPG> (Level 5) {2018.04.12} (¥5.980) - 15.847 / 51.502 (-56%)
11./06. [NSW] The Snack World: TreJarers Gold <RPG> (Level 5) {2018.04.12} (¥5.980) - 10.482 / 61.984 (-34%)

Switch versions is having better drops overall and next week it might do even better.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
At first week they sold like 30% of the stock according to Famitsu. Maybe they were stocking it for the future, but still, this number doesn't seem good.

Let's hope so. I'm a bit concerned about its future since it's a rather bold project which had probably a lot of money put into it, and so far it doesn't look too good for Nintendo.

It's possible that Labo is a complete flop relative to Nintendo's expectations in Japan, but please don't just make shit up.

You just assert it's low compared to expectations. Link to expectations?
If you're speculating based on Shipments. Say you're speculating based on Shipments. Dont just assert shit when you're speculating.

Any link to costs??
From what we know labo was made by 12 switch team.
From the software side, nothing screams high dev costs.
From the manufacturing side, nothing screams high dev costs.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Labo is more of a concept than a new IP. I could see them releasing various kits with various degrees of success. Variaty kit seems to be doing ok while the Robo Kit is not. I think we will see yearly kits with different concepts and some of them could be big and others could flop. I think they need to make the accompanying software more attractive, though. Come to think of it, a golf kit would probably do very well with a good fully featured game in it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of words to say Nintendo should spit in the faces of casuals, man.

I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with embracing what the system is and what is unique about it rather than trying to force it to be something else. System was doing just great with things like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyessy, big scope games have tremendous appeal when they can be played anywhere.

Embrace that, don't fight it or force it in a different way. Switch is its own beautiful thing, I think Nintendo should just accept that instead I think they still are kinda hoping they can push it into being like the Wii or DS. It doesn't need to be. It's like a parent that keeps pushing a kid to be like their older brother or sister rather than just realizing what they have is pretty special on its own and let it be. One kid might be a great artist, but if the other kid is showing a lot more interest in say ... sports, let it be, I think Nintendo is still struggling a bit in how they proceed in the post Wii/DS era.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
No, but it's also relatively clear to me that they keep emphasizing this idea that they need to "expand" the Switch in different ways and made Labo (really) their big 1st half 2018 release/Golden Week title in Japan.

I think the sooner they realize the Switch's central appeal is "big scope" gaming that you wouldn't expect from a portable device and not more "experimental" type software is what's driving the product's appeal the sooner they can focus strategy on that.

I think in a way they're feeling like "wait, all we had to do was make a portable game system more like a console and it'd be successful just on that basis? No tricks or gimmicks needed?". I think Nintendo is still struggling a bit to wrap their heads around that idea.

Why do people keep saying this is their big Golden Week release when DK is actually releasing in Golden Week? Am I missing something?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

In the days before Wii/DS, every Nintendo console sold less than the one before, and shortly before the Wii/DS they had their then lowest selling console.

How is that doing "just fine" ?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep saying this is their big Golden Week release when DK is actually releasing in Golden Week? Am I missing something?
Because it was released right before Golden week and every Media Create thread pointed out how that was a good move on Nintendo's part.

Let's not pretend Nintendo wasn't trying to take advantage of the timing.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So MHW did 3,002 units according to Famitsu, which is roughly 15% up from last week. Nice little boost, but not really indicative of a large attachment to new hardware sold, considering hw almost tripled..