• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Famitsu hot takes:

- PS4 version of PowaPro at #1 and PSV version at #2. Combined sales at 192k.
- PS4 version of Utawarerumono at #3 with 23k sales and PSV version at #10 with 12k sales (much higher than Media Create!)
- NSW hardware sales 9,3% up to 35k units.
- PS4 hardware sales more than doubled to 24k units for PS4 and PS4 Pro combined. Market stock restored.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the days before Wii/DS, every Nintendo console sold less than the one before, and shortly before the Wii/DS they had their then lowest selling console.

How is that doing "just fine" ?

Largely because they made a lot of dumb mistakes. The N64 would've easily outsold the SNES and probably the NES too if they compromised and made a system that at least was cart + CD (Sega did it) and met third parties half way in the middle.

GameCube ... a purple lunchbox design? I mean really? They honestly thought that would play well?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Largely because they made a lot of dumb mistakes. The N64 would've easily outsold the SNES and probably the NES too if they compromised and made a system that at least was cart + CD (Sega did it) and met third parties half way in the middle.

GameCube ... a purple lunchbox design? I mean really? They honestly thought that would play well?

Again, how is "making a lot of dumb mistakes" doing "just fine" ?

They were not doing fine before the Wii/DS days.
Arguing that they could have done better does not change that they did not do better.

You seem to have some real hatred for casual gamers and companies trying to appeal to them, but fact is, DS/Wii turned a decades long decline for Nintendo into their most profitable years, and resulted in the best selling handheld, and the second best selling Console ever.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Because it was released right before Golden week and every Media Create thread pointed out how that was a good move on Nintendo's part.

Let's not pretend Nintendo wasn't trying to take advantage of the timing.

LABO is not heir big golden week title otherwise it would be launching Golden Week (you know, like DK). Will it get a boost from Golden Week? Sure. So will Kirby / Splatoon 2 / MK8 / BOTW / Odyssey and every other Nintendo evergreen - the fact that another first party title is releasing during Golden Week means that is their big title - not the one that released weeks ago

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding MHW, anyone who wants one at this point has an option to buy it cheaper second hand as well.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Labo is more of a concept than a new IP. I could see them releasing various kits with various degrees of success. Variaty kit seems to be doing ok while the Robo Kit is not. I think we will see yearly kits with different concepts and some of them could be big and others could flop. I think they need to make the accompanying software more attractive, though. Come to think of it, a golf kit would probably do very well with a good fully featured game in it.

I was going to make a thread about the issues with Labo from a word of mouth standpoint, but I'll just outline them here.

To start. I actually like Labo. It's fun to build with a non gaming partner. It's clever, has little wow moments, and it definitely stimulates the imagination.

THAT SAID. Labo is somewhat misaligned with the appeal of the switch.

The Switch appeals right now mostly to young adults. It's high tech. Expensive. Expensive games. Core games. Play anywhere on the train, trips, etc.

Labo is anti portable and the software itself is obviously casual games.

Now, this means you cant easily show off labo to friends, on the train, etc. But it's actually worse than that .95 percent of the fun with labo is building. That means it's a one time experience. The games themselves are not compelling enough to play with others. If someone doesn't build it, it's not really that fun. Unlike legos, you can't undo and rebuild.

I think Labo will do ok, but it's appeal will be limited by these factors. Labo enthusiasts will buy multiple kits to experience the building again, but it won't spread to everyone.

From my personal experience, this also explains the larger appeal of the variety kit. It means more building experiences to share with others. The single toycon in the robot kit is a single project. The games themselves aren't compelling enough.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, how is "making a lot of dumb mistakes" doing "just fine" ?

They were not doing fine before the Wii/DS days.
Arguing that they could have done better does not change that they did not do better.

You seem to have some real hatred for casual gamers and companies trying to appeal to them, but fact is, DS/Wii turned a decades long decline for Nintendo into their most profitable years, and resulted in the best selling handheld, and the second best selling Console ever.

I'm saying it's not like Nintendo was destitute or a nobody in gaming before Wii Sports came along, lol. They've made due without banking on that type of game for a good 20+ years prior and aren't going to die now without it.

It just means maybe Switch is a different beast and they might need to play to some different rules to keep it successful, but so what. Nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with just relying on good old fashioned high quality games, good marketing, good release schedule, good library breadth, etc.

The Switch's versatility as a hardware product makes it unique from the get go, Nintendo doesn't need to try so hard or try to take the system in a different direction now to have success.

I think Nintendo is maybe struggling a bit with how "easy" the solution was like "wait, all we have to do was give you a console type experience in a portable and you'd all go crazy for it? We don't have to reinvent the wheel?". I think they are having some trouble processing that, lol but I think largely it's the truth. There is something very special about being able to play a game of the scope of Breath of the Wild anywhere, any time.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
In the days before Wii/DS, every Nintendo console sold less than the one before, and shortly before the Wii/DS they had their then lowest selling console.

How is that doing "just fine" ?
This is not actually true. Nintendo didn't really lose their audience so much as they transitioned them to handhelds, especially in Japan.

SNES + early GB
N64 + later GB
NGC + GBA

All sold roughly the same.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Nintendo needs to create games targeted at a larger audience to encourage the next generation of dedicated hardware gamers. Without the introduction Nintendo tends to give, many would probably stick to mobile devices and never transition to a dedicated device. The end result would be even more bleak for the dedicated games industry.
I don't think people understand how important Nintendo's role is in creating new gamers in Japan.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
I may be wrong with the numbers i have found but didn't Nintendogs had a drop second week at ~65%?
I though everyone agreed that even if Labo would succeed it would be with the sales curb of a toy (slow start with slow growth until the holidays)
Why are so much people hurried to bury it after 2 weeks?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I'm saying it's not like Nintendo was destitute or a nobody in gaming before Wii Sports came along, lol. They've made due without banking on that type of game for a good 20+ years prior and aren't going to die now without it.

It just means maybe Switch is a different beast and they might need to play to some different rules to keep it successful, but so what. Nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with just relying on good old fashioned high quality games.

The Switch's versatility as a hardware product makes it unique from the get go, Nintendo doesn't need to try so hard or try to take the system in a different direction now to have success.

But just making due is not what Nintendo or anybody wanting more and new experiences(be they Labo or Splatoon) from Nintendo should want.

They clearly are using a different approach on switch, but somehow for you 2 titles aimed at the casual market(one of which already sold over 2 million copies) means they are throwing their traditional games under the bus(despite the 10+ traditional First party games they have released so far).

Why is it so hard to understand that they can do both games like Labo and games like Fire Emblem/Yoshi/Pokemon at the same time ?

The only team that worked on causual experiences for switch so far has been the 1-2 Switch team, which also made Labo irc.

Meanwhile all the other teams are making "traditional games".

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people understand how important Nintendo's role is in creating new gamers in Japan.

Mario and Pokemon carry that mantle just fine. The NES got millions of kids into gaming without needing really some kind of non-traditional gaming focus. Kids are drawn to video games, what Nintendo's challenge actually now is is to justify themselves in a world where kids have access to thousands of lower budget free to play smartphone titles.

And the blue ocean now ironically is actually high end type experiences (relative to the portable market) IMO. An 8 year old can't get something like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyessy on their $120 tablet. That is what makes the Switch stand out and Nintendo would be well served to remember that and not lose focus of that. No one else is making a product that can play BotW or Mario Odyessy type games on the go, that is uniquely the Switch's strength. Can't get that on a hand me down iPad nor can you put your PS4 in your back pack and go.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, wasn't expecting GoW to hold like that.

Didn't realise the Jikkyou numbers from when it last released either, thought Vita was more down that it was. Wonder if it'll be leggy again this year.

Still, when even Aquaplus' games are selling double on PS4, it's pretty much over. Shame!

Labo will be interesting to watch next week.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I may be wrong with the numbers i have found but didn't Nintendogs had a drop second week at ~65%?
I though everyone agreed that even if Labo would succeed it would be with the sales curb of a toy (slow start with slow growth until the holidays)

Because they were ready to bury it 2 weaks before launch too.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Because Labo is stealing all our grown up big boy games and Nintendo was just fine before when they weren't expanding their audience.

Or something.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
The big issue in this thread with regard to LABO is that of "Nintendos expectations", people writing it off after two weeks primarily due to sell through numbers. Why don't we actually, you know, use some facts to look into this considering we know Nintendos expectations in other markets?

Day One Shipments - France - 30k Variety Pack // 15k Robot Pack. For the sake of comparison
Kirby, DK : 70k
Bayonetta : 45k + 5k
Dark Souls : 30k
DQB : 12k

So Nintendo, in one of its stronger markets, expects initial sales in line with Bayonetta - and yet people in this thread think that over 100k in Japan is somehow catastrophic and way below Nintendos expectation? Hilarious

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Meh Switch numbers, almost matched by the PS4 ones, finally free from the shirtages issues of last few weeks.
Very solid hold for GoW, Labo disappoints. As Naruto Switch.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Dillion is nowhere to be found and bad word of mouth indeed made sales of Metal Max Xeno collapse.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with embracing what the system is and what is unique about it rather than trying to force it to be something else. System was doing just great with things like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyessy, big scope games have tremendous appeal when they can be played anywhere.

Embrace that, don't fight it or force it in a different way. Switch is its own beautiful thing, I think Nintendo should just accept that instead I think they still are kinda hoping they can push it into being like the Wii or DS. It doesn't need to be. It's like a parent that keeps pushing a kid to be like their older brother or sister rather than just realizing what they have is pretty special on its own and let it be. One kid might be a great artist, but if the other kid is showing a lot more interest in say ... sports, let it be, I think Nintendo is still struggling a bit in how they proceed in the post Wii/DS era.
There's nothing wrong with trying something different. It's not like Nintendo stopped making traditional games. Every now and then Nintendo will throw out some new ideas, maybe one of them will be a hit.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>Literal cardboard cost
>Software game likely made an small team
>OMG IS NOT SELLING 3MILLION COPIES, LABO IS BLEEDING NINTENDO OUT!!!
I wonder if people here only focus on numbers for the sake of arguing or actually try to understand em?
I think you're a bit defensive mate. Nintendo clearly set this up as their big GW title and it hasn't moved a single piece of hardware we can clearly say as "Yes those sales came from Labo". We have no data at all as proof, and that's not a good thing. This was supposed to carry the switch in the first half of the year but it hasn't done jack so far. Switch sales have been untouched by its release.

I'm not happy or sad. On one hand they're making something I would rather not have them waste resources on, but it's the 1 2 Switch team so it's not like we should expect much different. Also it's for an audience that's not me. And It's clearly not a cashgrab but rather comes from a place of actual creativity and inspiration so I'm happy it exists especially for kids. But it didn't sell the Switch

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with trying something different. It's not like Nintendo stopped making traditional games. Every now and then Nintendo will throw out some new ideas, maybe one of them will be a hit.

It's relevant though I think in the way Nintendo handles the system going forward. I think they need to accept the Switch for what it actually is rather than trying to force it to be like the Wii or DS. It's its own thing and the sooner Nintendo realizes that the better off they will be.

It's not about stopping one type of game or not trying something different ever, but I think its about acknowledging what they have with the Switch is special and they sometimes the worst thing a company can do is get in their own way. Let the Switch be, Ninty. It doesn't need to be the Wii or DS to be a massive success, there are other roads that take you to the same (or gulp, even better) place.

They should study the first 10-12 months of the Switch very carefully and make sure they stick fairly closely to what was working for them there IMO.

Oct 26, 2017
It's relevant though I think in the way Nintendo handles the system going forward. I think they need to accept the Switch for what it actually is rather than trying to force it to be like the Wii or DS. It's its own thing and the sooner Nintendo realizes that the better off they will be.

It's not about stopping one type of game or not trying something different ever, but I think its about acknowledging what they have with the Switch is special and they sometimes the worst thing a company can do is get in their own way. Let the Switch be, Ninty. It doesn't need to be the Wii or DS to be a massive success, there are other roads that take you to the same (or gulp, even better) place.

They should study the first 10-12 months of the Switch very carefully and make sure they stick fairly closely to what was working for them there IMO.

They have like one to two studios that make casual video games.

... I think each studio is going to do what it's good at.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Making this one casual game won't change the whole path of Nintendo. Nintendo used to have a whole department dedicated to this kind of things, those devs will continue to work on games like 12Switch and Labo.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Mario and Pokemon carry that mantle just fine. The NES got millions of kids into gaming without needing really some kind of non-traditional gaming focus. Kids are drawn to video games, what Nintendo's challenge actually now is is to justify themselves in a world where kids have access to thousands of lower budget free to play smartphone titles.

And the blue ocean now ironically is actually high end type experiences (relative to the portable market) IMO. An 8 year old can't get something like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyessy on their $120 tablet. That is what makes the Switch stand out and Nintendo would be well served to remember that and not lose focus of that. No one else is making a product that can play BotW or Mario Odyessy type games on the go, that is uniquely the Switch's strength. Can't get that on a hand me down iPad nor can you put your PS4 in your back pack and go.

Pokemon and Mario certainly do some heavy lifting, but so does Nintendo's other properties and experiments. I have several students who are hoping they get Labo for their birthdays or Christmas. I was speaking with one of my few students who doesn't have a Switch, he got a Famicom Mini instead, I asked him what his favorite game was and he said Kirby. The way word gets around and children learn and chat about different products is amazing.

As to favoring the Switch over the PS4, they would have to know what a PlayStation is first. Sony does not market to children and has very few games for children, there is never talk among 8 year olds about it.

Makes me wonder why they don't localize MLB the Show over there.

Aside from rooting for Ichiro and Ootani, no one cares about the MLB.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have like one to two studios that make casual video games.

... I think each studio is going to do what it's good at.

It's not about resource allocation, its about product focus and Nintendo often gets themselves into trouble by losing focus or getting carried away with chasing certain things (why, hi there, Wii Music, glasses free 3D, etc.).

How much are they talking about product expansion these days ... maybe they should look at Breath of the Wild more.

For me it just comes down to what the audience is telling you. If 1,2 Switch sold even 1/4th of Wii Sports, sure go with it. If Labo was even trending to be 1/4 of Brain Training, sure go with it. But if it's not ... then what's wrong with saying "hey, wait a second, why don't we look at what's actually making this system successful?".

They shouldn't be in a such a rush to turn the system into something different now when its clearly having success being its own thing. Sometimes it's OK to let a system be what it is, don't try to force it Nintendo. Stick to what's been working and if there are unique things that develop from that, great, let it come naturally. Don't dramatically try to shift the focus of the system now into some kind of "experiment box" and bank key sales periods on trying to get "expanded audience" now.

Switch is unqiue from the get go. It doesn't need a Wii Sports or Labo or Brain Training, or 1,2 Switch to have success. You can't play a game like BoTW or Mario Odyssey on a iPad or take your PS4 in your back pack. Switch doesn't need to try so hard, it's unique right out of the box.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're a bit defensive mate. Nintendo clearly set this up as their big GW title and it hasn't moved a single piece of hardware we can clearly say as "Yes those sales came from Labo". We have no data at all as proof, and that's not a good thing. This was supposed to carry the switch in the first half of the year but it hasn't done jack so far. Switch sales have been untouched by its release.

I'm not happy or sad. On one hand they're making something I would rather not have them waste resources on, but it's the 1 2 Switch team so it's not like we should expect much different. Also it's for an audience that's not me. And It's clearly not a cashgrab but rather comes from a place of actual creativity and inspiration so I'm happy it exists especially for kids. But it didn't sell the Switch

Yeh its clearly their big golden week title. Not the first party game they are actually releasing during this exact week DK. Its definitely the game that released a few weeks ago instead yeh

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
To the people complaining about the "weak first half of 2018".

Do you honestly think that Switch will be anything but up YOY once we reach July ?

Its already up 50k, and that is with only Kirby/Labo as new First party titles and bayo as a Wiiu port, versus Zelda, Mk8DX and the Switches launch for 2017.

Switch Q2 of 2017 was plagued by supply shortages, with many weeks being sub 30k(irc) while that has not happened for Switch this year.

Switch Q2 of 2018 has several wiiU ports that are expected to sell well, as well as a new release in Mario tennis(and the already released Labo), plus the great legs from the Switch evergreens.

If Switch sells more Hardware and Software in the first half of 2018 compared to 2017, how would you spin that as being a weak first half ?

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Huge rise for PS4 (and Vita). I never thought baseball games were that popular in Japan.

So... Labo bombed? Or am I very pessimist?

Last edited:

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeh its clearly their big golden week title. Not the first party game they are actually releasing during this exact week DK. Its definitely the game that released a few weeks ago instead yeh
I'm pretty sure they weren't setting up a full price 4 year old port of donkey Kong to be their big seller for the holiday season. It'll be lucky to sell 50k let alone sell hardware.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Ascension only did like 19K on release week and didnt even chart in Week 2

for III
06. / 00. [PS3] God of War III (SCE) - 43.181 / NEW (https://www./threads/media-create-sales-mar-22-28-2010.391696/)
13. / 06. [PS3] God of War III (SCE) - (Not a number given but the last number ranked wa 21K, so its below that https://www./threads/media-create-sales-mar-29-apr-4-2010.392261/)
Huge debut then. Thanks.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Huge drop for PS4 (and Vita). I never thought baseball games were that popular in Japan.

So... Labo bombed? Or am I very pessimist?
We love baseball here. My team is the Seibu Lions, however I will sometimes see a Yomiuri Giants game, and I once got to introduced to the owner of Nippon-Ham Fighters by a mutual acquaintance.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell me you're taking us all for a ride. You don't honestly believe that Nintendo isn't still making games like Odyssey and Breath of the Wild do you?

Am I being punk'd?

I'm saying they should realize that needs to be the focus of the system. That and also great marketing.

There may well not be a Wii Sports coming to the Switch, ever. Nintendo might just have to accept that and realize it's not even that bad of a thing. The app/smartphone market has to wholly co-opted that segment so completely that it's very hard to justify buying another $200-$300 piece of hardware and I think Nintendo deep down really even knows this.

They had to try a few more kicks at the can though with 1,2 Switch and Labo. But if these games are not going to do even 1/5 the business of things like Brain Training, it's valuable in informing Nintendo that Switch is perhaps a different animal and they need to handle it in a different way. Nothing wrong with that either. Switch may well outsell the Wii, it just probably will have to get there taking a different road.

Again, nothing wrong with that. Ultimately it's better for Nintendo to know this stuff now too, so I don't view it as a negative either.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
We love baseball here. My team is the Seibu Lions, however I will sometimes see a Yomiuri Giants game, and I once got to introduced to the owner of Nippon-Ham Fighters by a mutual acquaintance.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. In Europe is not popular at all, as far as I know.

PD: I edited my comment. I said PS4 and Vita dropped ("huge drop"), but what I wanted to say was that they notably rised. Sorry for the confusion.

Facubsf

Apr 4, 2018
People against the different approach with the same sales level on PS4 and NSW must understand this:
-NSW should have the "New" factor and sell more, since the install base is much lower so there should be more people without a switch willing to get one than a ps4
-Japan has always been Nintendoland, it should sell much more than PS4, while in Europe and America PS4 sells like hot cakes. If Nintendo can't make a difference in Japan it would be doomed in the comparions.

Anyway this is only talking about the sales comparison. If we talk about reality, it does not need to sell equal or more than PS4 to be considered a successful product, even though it would be nice if it could grow faster so the comparison or rivarly is more entertaining to watch, sales wise. Think of a soccer match for a tournament or cup were you are neutral, you would like many goals and tension until the very last minute to know who will win. It's more entertaining that way.

My two useless cents.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now, about those numbers.

- I expected worse from PowaPro 2018, it's still an inevitable decline in the transition but additional digital sales may help it and considering how most of the other PS3/PSV/PS4 -> PS4/PSV transitions tanked hard, this one is certainly doing much better.
- PS4 sales are finally going back up after stock has been replenished. It's far from enough to compensate for all the "lost" sales (they're not actually lost but you get me) and the real test will be how it will fare in the infamous post-GW week, but at least it escaped the realm of the teens for now and, hopefully, next week as well.
- Switch HW sales are around the same, a tad better and it will likely go up again next week, not by much (I expect around 50-55k). Still good, like every week since the start of this year, nothing much to say.
- God of War is doing surprisingly well in its second week, probably due to word of mouth. Doubt it will go much higher and it shouldn't reach the heights of Horizon but at least it's not a one-week send-off.
- Labo : it's true that the Variety Kit drop is a tad higher than I expected – Labo kit, on the other hand, is doing exactly as everyone expected since last week's numbers, it's an unappealing product -, I thought it would do around 40k 2nd week and it's doing 10k less. Of course, the first real test will be next week, and even then, the initial stock suggested that Nintendo is counting on it to sell for months and months and despite what posters really want to make you believe, even if it doesn't sell the entirety of its stock in its first month, retailers aren't going to make seppuku when their product is still selling at a good pace every week, bringing a new kind of customers to buy the console. A drop 10% higher or lower is not going to define if it's a success or not, it's completely silly to think that. It's a product that will be properly judged once we'll have months of sales numbers. That's the conclusion that many reached from the first day it was announced, but apparently it's still missing from some people here.