• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
13/7 was a big week too for 3DS last year.

[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS LL Black x Turquoise <H-W> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥14.980)
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS LL White x Orange <H-W> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥14.980)
[3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)
[3DS] Ever Oasis <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)
[3DS] 100% Pascal Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers <ACT> (Konami) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)

Oct 27, 2017
In the UK at the moment the trilogy is #11 in the eShop charts and Ninja Storm 3 is #15, I was quite surprised to see that.
As of last night the trilogy was at #2 in the us and Storm 3 is at #15. Maybe they'll do a physical run of the game this fall since it seems to be doing well. I want the trilogy but the file size is pretty massive for a digital only title.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
13/7 was a big week too for 3DS last year.

[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS LL Black x Turquoise <H-W> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥14.980)
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS LL White x Orange <H-W> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥14.980)
[3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)
[3DS] Ever Oasis <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)
[3DS] 100% Pascal Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers <ACT> (Konami) {2017.07.13} (¥4.980)

and it came with a hardware revision.

I don't see the point to focus all these releases (Octopath, Captain Toad, Splatoon DLC ?) if Nintendo doesn't expect some big hardware bump. Could it be a revision (unlikely), a price drop (way too soon) or a bundle (more probable and my guess) ? We'll see but it'll be an interesting day

Oct 25, 2017
and it came with a hardware revision.

I don't see the point to focus all these releases (Octopath, Captain Toad, Splatoon DLC ?) if Nintendo doesn't expect some big hardware bump. Could it be a revision (unlikely), a price drop (way too soon) or a bundle (more probable and my guess) ? We'll see but it'll be an interesting day
Would be a nice time for a bundle.
Maybe Splatoon 2 with the switch at the normal price.
A good way to get people talking about the game and picking up the DLC.
I guess it might be too early for a price drop or a revision though 3DS did get one at this time

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Switch SKU with new colors for Joy-Cons or white console is what has some chances to happen, if it happens. Price drop and redesign are too soon.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Mobile Revenues Account for More Than 50% of the Global Games Market as It Reaches $137.9 Billion in 2018

Japanese Gamers Spend the Most, making it the #3 Country Globally

The Japanese gaming market will still be the third-largest in the world in 2018 (behind the United States and China), growing +15.1% year on year to $19.2 billion. Due to the continued success of mobile gaming companies in Japan, we increased our estimate for Japan's mobile games market for the second time in a year. This means its mobile games market is now nearly the same size as North America's with roughly one-third of the number of gamers. In fact, Japanese gamers spend most of any country, particularly for mobile games. The average spend per payer in Japan is 1.5 times higher than in North America, and more than 2.5 times higher than in Western Europe.

China alone will account for more than one-quarter of all global game revenues, reaching $37.9 billion this year. It will remain the number one gaming market by revenues and by number of players. Mobile is the dominant force and will generate 61% of revenues in 2018, growing to 70% of the market by 2021.

Global_Games_Market_per_Region_2018.png

In total, the APAC territories will generate $71.4 billion, or 52% of total global game revenues. This represents a +17.0% year-on-year increase, nearly all of which is attributable to mobile; the segment will grow $9.7 billion year on year to $44.7 billion in 2018. The APAC territories are a primary driver of continued growth for the global games industry, as the number of smartphone users in emerging markets such as India and Southeast Asia grows exponentially and, at the same time, the willingness to spend on mobile games grows in more established markets like China and Japan.

More here:
https://newzoo.com/insights/article...137-9-billion-in-2018-mobile-games-take-half/

Global_Games_Market_2018.png

Global_Games_Market_2012-2021_per_Segment.png

That's utter insanity.

In case anyone ever wondered why all these companies have been going hard trying to find a mobile success story.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I think the Splatoon DLC (it was leaked by Nintendo Germany iirc) will be on July 13th alongside Octopath and Captain Toad. Basically, Summer is packed for the Switch :

June 8th : Sushi Strikers
June 22th : Mario Tennis Aces
June 29th : Ys VIII

July 10th : Crash Bandicoot --> not dated in Japan
July 12th : Shining Resonance Refrain
July 13th : Octopath Traveler
July 13th : Captain Toad
July 13th : Splatoon DLC ?
July 19th : Sonic Mania Plus
July 26th : Wolfenstein II
July 26th : Mega Man X Collection 1&2
July 26th : Disgaea Remake

Other Summer titles :

- Dark Souls Remastered
- Inazuma Eleven
- Taiko
- Ark
- Minecraft retail release ?
- Valkyria Chronicles 1&4 --> probably delayed to Q4
- Okami
- Crash Bandicoot ?

my wallet is already crying. :D

dxspace

Oct 25, 2017
Last year Switch only had two third party games release in July (Cars 3 and Fate/Extella). How things change.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Splatoon DLC (it was leaked by Nintendo Germany iirc) will be on July 13th alongside Octopath and Captain Toad. Basically, Summer is packed for the Switch :

Other Summer titles :

- Dark Souls Remastered
- Inazuma Eleven
- Taiko
- Ark
- Minecraft retail release ?
- Valkyria Chronicles 1&4 --> probably delayed to Q4
- Okami
- Crash Bandicoot ?
1481ja.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason why August is usually slow?

But, anyways, Nintendo Online details just came out.
$20 for a year and 20 NES games at launch. Seems like a good deal, though I wonder how that'll effect the likes of Splatoon 2.
Hoping it's cheap enough to incentive people to drop a $20 (or $3.99 a month?) to not have a big negative impact on it.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

$20 for a year and 20 NES games at launch. Seems like a good deal, though I wonder how that'll effect the likes of Splatoon 2.
Hoping it's cheap enough to incentive people to drop a $20 (or $3.99 a month?) to not have a big negative impact on it.
PS+ did it, it even raised the price 1 or 2 times since release, and yet it keept getting new users, so I highly doubt 20$ (4.4 if the family plan stays as it is) a year is literally nothing

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Could we use yen in this thread? Japanese don't pay using dollars. It's 2400 yen a year.

I can see it having a negative effect. Children who have been playing Splatoon for the past year are going to be confused when they go to play in September and it tells them they need to pay. Then they will have to ask their parents, and parents will say 'wwwwwww um, no, you already play too many video games'.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017

Switch games, Japan, Summer

June 7th: Little Nightmares
June 14th : GOD WARS
June 21st: THE 密室からの脱出 ~運命をつなぐ35の謎~
( https://www.famitsu.com/news/201804/11155410.html )
June 22nd : Mario Tennis Aces
June 28th : Ys VIII (not 29)

July 12nd : Shining Resonance Refrain
July 19th: Closed Nightmare
July 26th:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou (welcome to hinamizawa "when they cry_") http://www.entergram.co.jp/higurashihou/
July 26th: Dragon Quest X All in One Package
July 26th: Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
July 26th: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party

August 2nd: SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô
August 2nd: Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution
August 2nd: LEGO: The Incredibles
August 9th: 探偵 神宮寺三郎 PRISM OF EYES
August 30th: Psyvariar Delta

September 6th: Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden
September 13th: Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Could we use yen in this thread? Japanese don't pay using dollars. It's 2400 yen a year.

I can see it having a negative effect. Children who have been playing Splatoon for the past year are going to be confused when they go to play in September and it tells them they need to pay. Then they will have to ask their parents, and parents will say 'wwwwwww um, no, you already play too many video games'.
Sorry, didn't have the exact amount and didn't want to give an incorrect amount.
But, yeah, unless Nintendo sells it hard with the release of smash (maybe market it initially as an NES collection?) it might hurt their installbase

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be quite interesting to see how this gels with younger/family audiences.

I suspect they fear this possibility given how extremely 'generous' that family deal is compared to the normal package.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

I doubt that the subscription fee will be a big hurdle for parents that were willing to spend at least 35k yen to begin with for a system and Splatoon 2.

Also the price is so low that children would be able to save up the cash on their own just from their allowance or just ask for a year subscriptions as a Birthday/Holiday Gift from their parents or grandparents.

We also know how popular the Famicom classics are in Japan.... Having access to that expanding library will probably be quite attractive for parents as well of they wanna give the system a try from time to time.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
cw_sasuke it depends on how easy it is to pay. Japanese in general aren't overly excited about putting their credit card information online, that is the people who have credit cards. Lots of people (myself included) pay many of our bills at the convenience store or direct withdrawal from out bank accounts.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cw_sasuke it depends on how easy it is to pay. Japanese in general aren't overly excited about putting their credit card information online, that is the people who have credit cards. Lots of people (myself included) pay many of our bills at the convenience store or direct withdrawal from out bank accounts.

I have to imagine Nintendo has this in mind for Japan. Or at least I would think they would...

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017

I have to imagine Nintendo has this in mind for Japan. Or at least I would think they would...

In the English page says:
When the paid service launches in September 2018, you'll be able to purchase via Nintendo.com and Nintendo eShop on your Nintendo Switch system, and at select retailers.

It looks like there will be prepaid cards or something.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Are children actually playing online? Doesn't seem so. Teenagers are, instead, and this group shouldn't have problem in asking parents for online subscription. Then, young adults can pay the service for themselves. Paid online is a standard practice and people buy contents on mobile all the time.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Are children actually playing online? Doesn't seem so. Teenagers are, instead, and this group shouldn't have problem in asking parents for online subscription. Then, young adults can pay the service for themselves. Paid online is a standard practice and people buy contents on mobile all the time.
You better believe that children playing Splatoon are playing online.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If you can buy or have access to a Switch game you will likely also be able to get a subscript prepaid card or just use general eShop cards to pay the subscription fee. The payment method won't be an issue.

I don't live in the US either so the usage of credit cards isn't the norm here either. I only use PayPal or eShop retail cards I get on a sale or cheaper online as part of a promotion.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
More July 26 Title for Switch :O
Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201805/08156934.html

Trailer-

After Sumikko Gurashi last year year another Nippon Columbia game this year. I'm surprised they can maintain that 4800 yen pricepoint they use for their 3DS games.

A July release won't hurt this game, because Nippon Columbia's games traditionally have a very low sell-through FW and target young kids, who aren't likely to buy the dozen other games that'll be released in that month.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
After Sumikko Gurashi last year year another Nippon Columbia game this year. I'm surprised they can maintain that 4800 yen pricepoint they use for their 3DS games.

A July release won't hurt this game, because Nippon Columbia's games traditionally have a very low sell-through FW and target young kids, who aren't likely to buy the dozen other games that'll be released in that month.

July has been the usual timeframe for Sumikko Gurashi games on 3DS, I'm more surprised that it's a different game / franchise. Nice that the price is low, it should help selling to its target audience i.e. families and young kids.
I wonder if Sumikko Gurashi games will be released during Holidays from now on.

And yes, they're usually long sellers...but freAKING JULY 26TH AGAIN?!?

372757302840786945.png
372757302840786945.png