• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lots of mid tier releases aren't as matter as one big mega system seller.Sure,this year summer has far more releases than last year,but Splatoon 2 alone is enough,it's like comparing a bunch of jobbers to the undertaker in his prime

It's like the og nds all over again

Just looking at software sales Week 29 to Week 35 - outside of Splatoon 2 there was only one title that sold over 100K on the Switch:

Switch HW: 480.049

Switch SW:
1) Splatoon 2 - 1.056.500
2) Monster Hunter Double Cross - 111.396
3) MK8D - 84.660
4) Arms - 36.413
5) Zelda:Breath of the Wild - 33.051
Total: 1.322.020

There should be no doubt that Hardware and Software sales will be up in a major way YoY. Even without a title of the caliber of Splatoon 2 releasing, there is plenty of releases that should sell in excess of 200K including new games or evergreen titles.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
For those who are wondering, the two water bottles at the back of the controller/drum is to avoid it moving when in use (which is apparently an issue there was with the PS4 version of that same controller).
Uh. That's even weirder they would not fix that flaw themselves. Is that just tons of drums they've done a while ago?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing id capcom had brrn chasing the west since the 7th gen but we have no clue if it's paying off in the long term, but just a bunch of short term successes.
And even those shoet term success like lost planet and dead rising arent as successful the next go round which then makes capcom confused on what to do with them and makes them end up even worse

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The weird thing id capcom had brrn chasing the west since the 7th gen but we have no clue if it's paying off in the long term, but just a bunch of short term successes.
And even those shoet term success like lost planet and dead rising arent as successful the next go round which then makes capcom confused on what to do with them and makes them end up even worse
It's not that Capcom is willing to chase the west. They have a huge mobile dev team. The problem is that their mobile team never made anything, so only their console games count. And console game market skews heavily to the west. If Capcom have a mobile hit you won't them saying expecting 80% sales from the west.

Capcom don't have a choice.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
So if the rumors of a Kanto remake are true, how do you think it'll sell? Will it have an increase in sales, same ole days, or somehow decrease in usual series sales?
I'm gonna say increase since
1. Switch owners are buying softwares like mad
2. First Console Pokemon
3. Nostalgia

Edit:
Emily basically said they are leaks.
They are real.

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kanto remake. Why? I'm really wondering who asked for this. I hope they remake gen 3 again, and do it properly this time.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
So if the rumors of a Kanto remake are true, how do you think it'll sell? Will it have an increase in sales, same ole days, or somehow decrease in usual series sales?
2. First Console Pokemon
3. Nostalgia
Previous remakes increased sales over time.

FR/LF - 12m
HG/SS - 13m
OR/AS - 14m

I can see something like 15m for LGP/LGE but not going for 20m.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's like the og nds all over again
I don't think it's the same at all. Back in 2005, what Capcom franchise do you think that actually can work on DS? I can only think of AA,and AA was on DS since the bery beginning. Hell they even made an Okami sequel on DS, tells you how desperate they were to get on the DS train.

It was misfortune, just like how they missed the mobile train.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's the same at all. Back in 2005, what Capcom franchise do you think that actually can work on DS? I can only think of AA,and AA was on DS since the bery beginning. Hell they even made an Okami sequel on DS, tells you how desperate they were to get on the DS train.

It was misfortune, just like how they missed the mobile train.
It's simple, they didn't support the nds at first, all they did during the first year was a port of battle network 5 and ace attorney with real supports come at nearly the second year of the console's life. By that time,they were obviously drown of the heavy competition on the ds during that time.
Edit:and don't call what they've been doing on mobile misfortune,everything they've been doing on mobile front is baffling and waste shitloads of money for nothing

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's simple, they didn't support the nds at first, all they did during the first year was a port of battle network 5 and ace attorney with real supports come at nearly the second year of the console's life. By that time,they were obviously drown of the heavy competition on the ds during that time.
Edit:and don't call what they've been doing on mobile misfortune,everything they've been doing on mobile front is baffling and waste shitloads of money for nothing
Like I said, there's nothing they could do. Even if they wanted to support DS, they simply don't have any franchise that works on DS. They were so desperate they remade Resident Evil on DS. Same with their mobile division. How can they make any gatcha RPGs and puzzle games when they haven't made any RPG and puzzle game in decades?

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
2. First Console Pokemon
3. Nostalgia

Edit:
Emily basically said they are leaks.
They are real.

I want to see exactly how Game Freak is going to implement the concept, but I think there's a very good chance for it show an increase given what we know right now. In addition to what you mentioned, Pokemon Go integration is a great idea as long as it doesn't alienate longtime fans (which, despite some overreactions today, is a balance I think they can definitely strike).

Like I said though, I actually want to see these games and hear more details first. Questions related to new Pokemon and/or new forms, Gen 2-7 Pokemon availability in the main game, how much they've changed and/or added to Kanto etc. are going to be important to determine just how high they can go.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
So if you look at Fall/Holidays for Switch, I would say we already know of 2 surefire million sellers (Pokemon, Smash) with another decent possibility (Yo-Kai Watch 4). If NSMB U port rumors are true I would imagine that's #4.

Shaping up to be a very stacked few months.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, there's nothing they could do. Even if they wanted to support DS, they simply don't have any franchise that works on DS. They were so desperate they remade Resident Evil on DS. Same with their mobile division. How can they make any gatcha RPGs and puzzle games when they haven't made any RPG and puzzle game in decades?
I dont think any company especially in this industry should look at a successful platform and say "well what can we do?"

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
[NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980)
[NSW] 1-2-Switch <ETC> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥4.980)
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Pokken Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Snipperclips Plus: Cut it Out, Together! <PZL> (Nintendo) {2017.11.10} (¥3.280)
[NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2 # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.12.01} (¥7.980)

[NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle <SLG> (Nintendo) {2018.01.18} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.02.17} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Kirby Star Allies <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit <EDU> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} (¥6.980)
[NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit <EDU> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} (¥7.980)
[NSW] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.05.03} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.06.08} (¥4.980)
[NSW] Mario Tennis Aces <SPT> (Nintendo) {2018.06.22} (¥5.980)
[NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <ADV> (Nintendo) {2018.07.13} (¥3.980)
[NSW] Yoshi for Nintendo Switch <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.xx.xx} (¥x.xxx)
[NSW] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.xx.xx} (¥x.xxx)
[NSW] Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch <SLG> (Nintendo) {2018.xx.xx} (¥x.xxx)
[NSW] Pokemon Let's Go! Pikachu / Let's Go! Eevee <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2018.xx.xx} (¥x.xxx)

There will likely be some more games revealed for 2018.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, just read the 100 pages in the pokémon speculation thread and you'll be up to scratch in no time!

But yeah, several indications say that the pokémon game for Switch will be a remake of Yellow, and will have some communication with Pokémon GO.
saw the rumor now.

I guess it has some backing since it's not being dismissed??
what about the screenshot?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
saw the rumor now.

I guess it has some backing since it's not being dismissed??
what about the screenshot?
The Kanto screenshot with Eevee on the player's head, you mean? That one, if it is real, is likely not at all representative of how the game will look. The graphics on display look to be pre-Sun/Moon, and use a grid layout for objects. Probably a test run to see how the Switch internals work, i.e. a quick and dirty port of some small area to test Switch internals.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dont think any company especially in this industry should look at a successful platform and say "well what can we do?"
Ain't this just typical sales ERA attitude? We never actually look at the games. We see some hardware numbers and decide "this is the way to go". Business is not that simple. You can tell those devs behind DMC, RE, SF, Onimusha and all the other Capcom games to "just make shit on DS", doesn't mean it's gonna work.

Also, let me remind you Capcom was probably the most successful Japanese 3rd party last gen, as they adopted to HD development the quickest.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Advertising for Mario Tennis Aces has started to accelerate lately inside and outside stores.

It looks it will be treated as the second big multiplayer first party title of 2018 behind Smash, being the equivalent of 2017 Arms and Splatoon 2.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Tennis is a distinctively bigger effort than the previous Nintendo sports games, they're going to market it appropriately and likely have high expectations.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO

DdJxua7VMAUcFN0.jpg

Yodobashi

DdIM5qHUwAY-a8j.jpg

https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001003878331/
https://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2018/5/15/17353652/lenovo-mirage-solo-vr-headset-review

DdN5U4sVQAAl6zy.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting that they're basically using the base of Mario Tennis US and making a really big tennis game.
Probably a really good way to make use of Wii U resources

I always figured they'd do this. I always saw the Wii U game as a a way of getting Camelot's feet wet with HD development as well as providing a blueprint for the next game; the engine, models, graphics, etc. I was 100% correct.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Mario Tennis Aces looks like a real AAA effort from Nintendo this time. I hope it performs well and convinces Nintendo to give other sports games similar treatment. Long overdue for another Strikers game from NLG or another Hoops game from Square Enix. I love to see those done with the production values we're seeing in Aces.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting to see the reception of Octopath in Japan. I always think the pixel nostalgia is more of a western thing.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's interesting to see the reception of Octopath in Japan. I always think the pixel nostalgia is more of a western thing.
Yeah, I think so too, but I think that has to do with Japan not going completely graphics crazy and being allergic to pixels for about a decade and a half like in the West. I don't think the use of the pixels will hurt or help it, however I think the character designs are close enough to 16 big Square that it might peak some interest of the older crowd.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alot of games that actuallly interest a large portion of Japanese gamers are coming out within short amounts of time, it's really fun to see

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the Layton games but the timing for the new one was a bit odd. Guess this means no new Layton game this year?
I'll probably try it out. Any details on what the DX version adds or will that come out later?

Jan 1, 2018
I liked the Layton games but the timing for the new one was a bit odd. Guess this means no new Layton game this year?
I'll probably try it out. Any details on what the DX version adds or will that come out later?
Well level-5 did say they were having trouble deciding how to control the game for switch in a way that would work for both handheld and docked mode. They could just be throwing this out as they haven't had time to actually make a new Layton game due to being preoccupied by that.

Oct 25, 2017
Well level-5 did say they were having trouble deciding how to control the game for switch in a way that would work for both handheld and docked mode. They could just be throwing this out as they haven't had time to actually make a new Layton game due to being preoccupied by that.
Weren't there some story issues and lack luster puzzles? Probably no fixing that, tho

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how Level 5 seemingly want to have all of their IPs present on the Switch this year. In the span of 6-8 months, there will be Snack World, Inazuma, Layton and Yokai Watch.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I always figured they'd do this. I always saw the Wii U game as a a way of getting Camelot's feet wet with HD development as well as providing a blueprint for the next game; the engine, models, graphics, etc. I was 100% correct.

That's a nice way of saying an incomplete game pushed out to fill out an empty schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.