• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is the big absent on Swtch from the beginning and I don't see the situation changing at E3 if it ever changes.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
True, but if you compare the volume of releases to Switch last year or PS4 in 205, the difference is stark. Support in terms of volume has definitely ramped up.
A lots of mid tier releases aren't as matter as one big mega system seller.Sure,this year summer has far more releases than last year,but Splatoon 2 alone is enough,it's like comparing a bunch of jobbers to the undertaker in his prime
Capcom is the big absent on Swtch from the beginning and I don't see the situation changing at E3 if it ever changes.
It's like the og nds all over again

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom's doing some Switch stuff. Their upfront 3DS support was definitely stronger but also with fewer releases. They ignored Vita pretty hard though.

I mean more publishers that have made no real Japanese commitment.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Pokémon Gen 1 remakes for this holiday- Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee.

Does anyone know how much more popular the first generation is than latter generations amongst the Japanese? There's obviously a large contingent of Westerners who only played the first ones, but I'm wondering if that's replicated in Japan or not.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not supporting the Switch in some capacity in the coming years is like saying goodbye altogether to the Japanese market. I get that Capcom really wants to focus on overseas markets they made that clear enough but basically abandoning their home market still seems like madness to me.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Not supporting the Switch in some capacity in the coming years is like saying goodbye altogether to the Japanese market. I get that Capcom really wants to focus on overseas markets they made that clear enough but basically abandoning their home market still seems like madness to me.
Tbf it's not our job to judge them,chasing the western market is their choice, succeeding or failing at that is their problem

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thats a weird definition of absent....Capcom is providing software for the system and they already said that they missed out at launch.

Ports or not - USF1, RE Rev 1+2, MMLC, MMX Collection, Okami HD, SF Collection, Mega Man 11, Ace Attorney, MH Generations Ultimate etc. are support. You might not like or appreciate but calling them absent is crazy. Their arent many debs/pubs that have provided more for the system if at all.

Its also not like Caocom drops 6 AAA +90 Metacritic titles on PS4/XBO every fiscal year. That gen has been going on for nearly 5 years already and just the last couple months they were able to deliver in a meaningful way with RE7 and MHW.

A lots of mid tier releases aren't as matter as one big mega system seller.Sure,this year summer has far more releases than last year,but Splatoon 2 alone is enough,it's like comparing a bunch of jobbers to the undertaker in his prime
Splatoon 2 and DQXI (3DS/PS4) had no influence in terms of Switch 3rdParty support. Which was the point of the July 17 --> July 18 comparison.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Its also not like Caocom drops 6 AAA +90 Metacritic titles on PS4/XBO every fiscal year. That gen has been going on for nearly 5 years already and just the last couple months they were able to deliver in a meaningful way with RE7 and MHW.

Exactly. Switch output this year are ports and rom dumps. PS4/1 support besides MH World is....ports and rom dumps.

I think we have an outdated inflated view of Capcom as a publisher now.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Thats a weird definition of absent....Capcom is providing software for the system and they already said that they missed out at launch.

Ports or not - USF1, RE Rev 1+2, MMLC, MMX Collection, Okami HD, SF Collection, Mega Man 11, Ace Attorney, MH Generations Ultimate etc. are support. You might not like or appreciate but calling them absent is crazy. Their arent many debs/pubs that have provided more for the system if at all.

These were Capcom releases for 2017.

[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.05.26} (¥4.990)
[NSW] Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.25} (¥5.800)
[NSW] Resident Evil: Revelations Collection <Resident Evil: Revelations \ Resident Evil: Revelations 2> <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.11.30} (¥4.990)

When I see something different for 2018 I'll call it support.

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
These were Capcom releases for 2011.

[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers <FTG> (Capcom) {2017.05.26} (¥4.990)
[NSW] Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.08.25} (¥5.800)
[NSW] Resident Evil: Revelations Collection <Resident Evil: Revelations \ Resident Evil: Revelations 2> <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.11.30} (¥4.990)

I just don't think Capcom puts out the same volume of original stuff that they did in 2011.

Oct 25, 2017

Their first non port that'll release simultaneously with the other consoles is Megaman 11 nearly 2 years from Switch Launch.
This is mostly them rushing to take advantage of the audience that bought 500k units of a lackluster SFII conversion at $40.

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tbf it's not our job to judge them,chasing the western market is their choice, succeeding or failing at that is their problem
I don't judge them and we still have to see how what they said will translate. They have been really successful with MHW so that gives them a lot of credit for sure to continue on this path but imho it's also a very risky one for them to only focus on AAA games specifically designed for the Western markets and high-end systems. Probably too risky to rely only on that.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Capcom's PS4 output in Japan first 22 months or so (roughly equivalent to Switch end of 2018):

RE HD- 1/20/2015
RE Revelations 2- 3/19/2015
DMC 4- 6/18/2015
Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi- 7/23/2015
Dragon's Dogma Online- 8/27/2015

Highest selling title was Revelations 2 at just over 100K.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think Capcom puts out the same volume of original stuff that they did in 2011.
Let 3DS, that level of support isn't coming for Switch. Since we were at Capcom is late with systems and takes time to adjust comparisons between 2018 Switch with 2015 PS4 aren't pretty and will only get worse as time passes.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
These were Capcom releases for 2011.

So we are just going to ignore games already announced and about to release ? If thats the case no 3rdParty is supporting the Switch.
All the games you listed will have shipped/sold at least 500k units worldwide. There arent many 3rds on Switch that have sold more retail games.

Support means proving software for a system nothing more. You might not like the titles, it might be less than some people hoped for..but calling it no support is being overly dramatic.

I hope RE2make makes it to Switch, this would be the first big title with a realistic chance if Capcom realized things soon enough - If not they are probably going with RE7 Switch prolong it legs.

Otherwise...yeah games take time to develop and Capcom had allocated most of its resources to RE7, MHW and DmCV already. If by 2019 the next big RE entry are missing or there is no portable follow up to MH on Switch announced - then i would be worried.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Let 3DS, that level of support isn't coming for Switch. Since we were at Capcom is late with systems and takes time to adjust comparisons between 2018 Switch with 2015 PS4 aren't pretty and will only get worse as time passes.

I agree Capcom support isn't particularly good..I just don't think their output overall is nearly what it used to be, period. If you want to talk about major Japanese pubs skipping Switch for a lot of stuff, Namco comes to mind before Capcom.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like Pokémon Gen 1 remakes for this holiday- Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee.

Does anyone know how much more popular the first generation is than latter generations amongst the Japanese? There's obviously a large contingent of Westerners who only played the first ones, but I'm wondering if that's replicated in Japan or not.
They sold more at least.

Famitsu

Original
RGBY 10,230,425
GSC 7,958,451
RSE 7,574,062
DPP 8,431,048
BWB2W2 8,509,729
XY 4,557,957
SMUSUM 6,176,260

Remake
FRLG 3,076,047
HGSS 3,940,690
ORAS 3,198,167

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I agree Capcom support isn't particularly good..I just don't think their output overall is nearly what it used to be, period. If you want to talk about major Japanese pubs skipping Switch for a lot of stuff, Namco comes to mind before Capcom.
E3 isn't far. We'll see soon what kind of support Switch will get from either company so that we have an idea from the future.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Optics on Capcom support won't change until they announce MHP5 next year.

Fair enough, and if rumors are true, then yes- Namco support will probably start to look better.
I expect lots of late ports announced on both sides. For new games Capcom might have AA7 and Namco will have RR8 and maybe Tales.

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't read too much into E3 announcements and I wouldn't extrapolate to much from them to predict what will happen in the coming years as far as Japanese third party support goes. E3 is typically the kind of event where there are few Japanese announcements and these are mostly big budget projects more prone to release on PS4 or even XB1. Like I have said multiple times already the current situation of the Switch is also right now not that favorable compared to the PS4 even if the changing trend seems more and more obvious. Starting next year and if Nintendo doesn't screw up this time around the situation should really look different imo.

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Third parties don't really seem to care about install bases
This is probably something that we will have to keep disagreeing about then. For instance EA even specifically talked recently about what they expect for Switch and PS4+XB1 install bases for the end of the year. So they definitely care. Also whatever other metric you think are more important they will still be the consequence of the install base and the audience profile of each system. Future software sales are definitely a consequence of these aspects to start with.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
If 3rd parties did not care about install bases, you would not see the volume of Switch announcements you are seeing basically every week.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Capcom's support for Switch makes no sense.

Revelation 1 and 2 were huge hits on the system, the first half of 2018 would have been perfect for a port of Resident Evil 4/5/6, instead we got nothing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Optics on Capcom support won't change until they announce MHP5 next year.
There are some people that always will feel neglected if not everything is on Switch and its the obv. focus of the company. This wont ever happen with Capcom and the Switch.

People act as if Capcom was 90s Squaresoft on the 3DS when it mostly was just MH. They dropped the 3DS for Street Fighter and RE rather fast when the figured out the system was holding the IPs back - Mega was a non-issue on the 3DS till the late Legacy Collection port.

RE Revelations, MH3U, MH 4(G) and MHX(X)

Thats the list of the essentials that made a difference. Most of the initial Capcom hype came from how their games looked, they were the devs that treated the system like a modern console and not just a higher clocked DS. Ultra Street Fighter 4 being ported to the 3DS was impressive, because of the graphics - at the end it still was just a port. Mercenaries 3D was impressive because that wasnt a game you would see on a Nintendo portable...a similar type of game today on Switch and people would cry foul as well.

Nintendo needed that Capcom support with the 3DS - the Vita was still a potential threat and Nintendo had games like Steel Diver, Pilot Wings Resort and Nintendogs for the 3DS launch - ofc. it was easier for Capcom to standout with their titles.

In general it seems like people had more realistic expectations in terms of support during the 3DS era gen - and that was the DS successor.
You will regret asking that question...lol.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I suspect Inazuma Eleven Ares is going to be in the September part of summer if it makes Summer at all. No release date yet.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom's support for Switch makes no sense.

Revelation 1 and 2 were huge hits on the system, the first half of 2018 would have been perfect for a port of Resident Evil 4/5/6, instead we got nothing.

Further RE titles are a given...they dont have to throw out a new RE port every 2 month for it to make sense. We are already getting Okami, MMLC/MMX, Street Fighter Anniversary these months...there will probably be another RE release for this Holiday season as well.

Also resources are limited and even porting takes time. Last year we complained for ages in every thread why Okami or Mega Man werent being brought over...its happening now because porting takes time even if they made the decision last year.

The devs who brought over Rev1+2 might have been tasked with preparing the system for more ambitious port/adaptation like RE7 or the upcoming R2make. This isnt just a button click - esp. if they try to offer some Switch exclusives extras in addition ti high quality ports.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I don't judge them and we still have to see how what they said will translate. They have been really successful with MHW so that gives them a lot of credit for sure to continue on this path but imho it's also a very risky one for them to only focus on AAA games specifically designed for the Western markets and high-end systems. Probably too risky to rely only on that.
We are talking about a company that still doesn't know what to do with mobile here.It's not mostly because of their approach to AAA western games,it's because they don't have any safe zone (aka a good mobile hit) that they could rely on. There is a reason why companies like Bamco or SE could totally chase the west as much as they want while companies like Marvelous,KT,Capcom or even Level 5 even though they have juggernaut hits usually on the edge of winning or losing big, they don't have a proper B plan or a mobile hit that they could rely on in long term

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As if PS4 was viable in Japan? It's always greatly punched above it's weight in terms of performance to support. And this while Sony Japan are at their weakest historically, everything PS4 has managed was really driven by Square Enix and Capcom. And it hasn't managed much tbh.

Japanese publishers had to put their games somewhere and the PS4 was the safest bet both in the short-term and long-term. The competition at that point wasn't even an option for a variety of reasons. I'm sure that will change next-gen provided Nintendo resumes the Switch legacy.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly feels like they ported them and they had no plans at all for other games. Just port them and see what they do.
Capcom is releasing Okami to Switch 9 months after PS4. It will take some time until you see a port of RE4. Maybe at holidays.

For 5/6 even longer.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Japanese publishers had to put their games somewhere and the PS4 was the safest bet both in the short-term and long-term. The competition at that point wasn't even an option for a variety of reasons. I'm sure that will change next-gen provided Nintendo resumes the Switch legacy.
I'm sorry, I just don't buy the "forced to PS4" idea. PS4 (+XB1) made some sense for western leaning AAA games (FFXV, RE7, Tekken 7, Sonic Forces, etc) but basically nothing else. Not when 3DS, Vita, iOS and Android exist.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Capcom puts their stuff on PS4 because they have bought into the dream of hitting it big and competing toe to toe with the big western AAA, even if that means losing their favored position in Japan. They aren't completely wrong, their brands have the pedigree to do so and hold up quite well. It's risky, and they certainly know it is risky and that is why they are always attempting to reassure their investors with promises of mobile and most recently licensing out their properties to other companies to do mobile.

They are not forced, they want to be there, they have tasted the milk and honey in the west and long for more. Do I think it is good for our market, no, but that's irrelevant.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Capcom puts their stuff on PS4 because they have bought into the dream of hitting it big and competing toe to toe with the big western AAA, even if that means losing their favored position in Japan. They aren't completely wrong, their brands have the pedigree to do so and hold up quite well. It's risky, and they certainly know it is risky and that is why they are always attempting to reassure their investors with promises of mobile and most recently licensing out their properties to other companies to do mobile.

They are not forced, they want to be there, they have tasted the milk and honey in the west and long for more. Do I think it is good for our market, no, but that's irrelevant.

And World has justified that strategy, at least in the short term.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
And World has justified that strategy, at least in the short term.
Agreed, and before that it was BioHazard and Lost Planet, etc. This is where they have been looking for more than a decade, especially since they were one of the first Japanese companies to tentatively support a foreign console (the original Xbox).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Capcom is pretty absent across all platforms. It has a few big games and then it's all legacy games (portings, remasters, collections).

DMC will never come to Switch but I expect MH, RE and SF as well, sooner or later.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Agreed, and before that it was BioHazard and Lost Planet, etc. This is where they have been looking for more than a decade, especially since they were one of the first Japanese companies to tentatively support a foreign console (the original Xbox).

I think the question is for certain franchises, especially something like Monster Hunter which still gets a lot of sales from Japan- since Switch is doing so well in the West, a Switch version can be in alignment with that strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.