• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would require privileges that I do not have.

It's just strange to see a side of this forum that I very rarely see. I mean, hell certain games are banned from discussion on this forum for the very reasons that Sony are attempting to stamp out of their games.
this game is one of them, which is why you're not seeing the outrage. it's not particularly popular even in this thread

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking the implementation of Sony's policies are dumb and that third parties taking a bath financially to appease them is a bit ridiculous doesn't mean that you like the sexualisation of minors.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This direct looks very early for a Switch revision reveal, there are still 6 weeks until Mario Maker release.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Omega Labyrinth Life out on August 1st in Japan. Game was previously announced as Switch exclusive, but is now also releasing on PS4 (where it's just called Labyrinth Life). Apparently, Switch version has all the perviest elements in, while PS4 has most of that stuff removed/toned down. As a result, Switch version is a whopping 2k yen more expensive (7 880 Yen vs 5 880 Yen). 'em tits ain't cheap, y'know.

https://www.d3p.co.jp/omegalabyrinth_life/

Quite funny to see the kind of stuff publishers that are reluctant to support Switch (outside the family / low-budget range) can come up with :thinkingemoji:
Holy shit that hilarious. The switch version is going to flop if it's going to be so much more expensive.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thinking the implementation of Sony's policies are dumb and that third parties taking a bath financially to appease them is a bit ridiculous doesn't mean that you like the sexualisation of minors.

I don't think most of Era is interested in that. The ground for this discussion has been salted from the beginning. Which I get, I am tired of that loli shit as well but people are ignoring the larger implications concerning ratings boards, the rights of platform holders etc.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
For those who are not aware of just why Omega is in the title, a quick glance at the wiki verifies.

"Items obtained in dungeons are initially unidentified, with their name and effects not known. They need to be revealed using Omega Power, with an animated sequence where the player places said item between a characters breasts and shaking achieving this."

Safe to say there is no Omega Power in the PS4 version. Seeing how this is a game that takes place in a high school, it's bizarre to have ResetEra for once not cheering on the side that is attempting to remove sexualization of minors from video games.
Sony should be applauded for tackling the scurge that is the sexualisation of underage characters. Why are Nintendo not following suit?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Sony should be applauded for tackling the scurge that is the sexualisation of underage characters. Why are Nintendo not following suit?
Probably because Sony aren't just hitting underage sexualization, but sexualization in general. There's also the fact they are keeping their guidelines secret, making it harder for publishers to actually comply.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Last year Golden Week was strong, this year should be the same.

Edit: It's out
https://www.m-create.com/publishing/tv_2019.html
>50k yens for printed version or >100k for Excel/PDF version then.
I can contribute if we need to buy it again.
I can contribute too.

I know this is from basically two threads ago, but I wanted to know if there's any update on this. If possible, I'd like to contribute as well.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
3-4 weeks is the usual. If there's a revision with Mario it's more likely a random video announcement shortly before E3 than now.

That's not quite right. I went and looked at the timing between announcement and earliest release, and got this:

3DS XL: June 21st - July 28th (5 weeks) [Nintendo Direct]
New 3DS: August 29th - October 11th (6 weeks) [Nintendo Direct]
2DS: August 28th - October 12th (6 weeks) [Press release]
2DS XL: April 27th - June 17th (Australia)(7 weeks) [Nintendo Direct]

So an announcement this week would actually be in line with previous revisions. But as I said, it's clearly not happening during this Direct due to how short it is.

(Writing this, realised you probably meant revisions in general, not just Nintendo consoles : /)

Thing is, the longer the wait, the more likely the whole thing will just leak (and I mean, a full leak not just "yeah Nintendo doing a revisions, it's happening guys" stuff).

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
That's not quite right. I went and looked at the timing between announcement and earliest release, and got this:

3DS XL: June 21st - July 28th (5 weeks) [Nintendo Direct]
New 3DS: August 29th - October 11th (6 weeks) [Nintendo Direct]
2DS: August 28th - October 12th (6 weeks) [Press release]
2DS XL: April 27th - June 17th (Australia)(7 weeks) [Nintendo Direct]

So an announcement this week would actually be in line with previous revisions. But as I said, it's clearly not happening during this Direct due to how short it is.

(Writing this, realised you probably meant revisions in general, not just Nintendo consoles : /)

Thing is, the longer the wait, the more likely the whole thing will just leak (and I mean, a full leak not just "yeah Nintendo doing a revisions, it's happening guys" stuff).
3DS emergency price drop was announced 2 weeks before and with an ambassador program. The thing is this is the first major revision for a Nintendo console that price goes down and not up and they will kill even more an already slow May with a 6 weeks gap.

Oct 25, 2017
3DS emergency price drop was announced 2 weeks before and with an ambassador program. The thing is this is the first major revision for a Nintendo console that price goes down and not up and they will kill even more an already slow May with a 6 weeks gap.
Switch Lite is also rumored to be a downgraded model in some regards (fewer features) so it wouldn't necessarily completely replace the old model like the XL did

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I would say that removing the 3D component, the very concept that the 3DS was based upon is a major revision.

That said, your usage of "first" is rather difficult to understand. Usually when something is the "first X" that means that there has been no other X before. It's first, or in other words, that sentence is stating that no major revision for a Nintendo console had caused the price to drop before. Is that not what you intended?

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
2DS came out after 3DS LL at an attempt to rise western sales. It looked cheap and it sold like that. It's not a major revision by any metric.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think most of Era is interested in that. The ground for this discussion has been salted from the beginning. Which I get, I am tired of that loli shit as well but people are ignoring the larger implications concerning ratings boards, the rights of platform holders etc.

Yeah, you are absolutely right.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Something that Nintendo won't release in Japan almost 3 years after west.
Wouldn't that be because the 3DS was selling much better in Japan than it was in the west? I'm referring to actual metrics, like form-factor changes, screen changes, hardware component changes, etc. Ya'know, things that actually matter for a revision.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's because the publishers know otaku will pay big bucks for the tiddies
It might be just that, yeah. But why not price both versions at ~8k yen instead?

There's also the fact they are keeping their guidelines secret, making it harder for publishers to actually comply.
How does that work? They cant just keep sending in the games for approval without have some info or feedback on whats allowed or not?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It might be just that, yeah. But why not price both versions at ~8k yen instead?

How does that work? They cant just keep sending in the games for approval without have some info or feedback on whats allowed or not?

According to a developer quoted in the WSJ they get feedback but Sony can change their mind at any time about what's allowed, so they can submit one day and get feedback, make changes and resubmit and Sony now decides that what they was okay originally isn't any more.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't that be because the 3DS was selling much better in Japan than it was in the west? I'm referring to actual metrics, like form-factor changes, screen changes, hardware component changes, etc. Ya'know, things that actually matter for a revision.
So market planning doesn't matter? You'd consider things the Game Boy Light or PSP Street to be major revisions?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

imagine arguing that the market isn't the biggest defining factor for a revision (or any hardware introduction)

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
imagine arguing that the market isn't the biggest defining factor for a revision (or any hardware introduction)
Could you elaborate further? I was under the impression that a console revision necessitated that there is a revision of some sort to a console. If the console remains the same but the market is different, are you saying that's a revision? So the biggest defining factor is the market? That goes contrary to my prior understanding.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
To be honest, 15mn feels quite short for the presentation (Nintendo have said literally nothing about the game since the announcement), so I doubt they're also revealing a revision at the same time. Not to mention it would be labelled as regular Direct if there was HW announcement.
To me, 15 min seems long for just MM2. I don't think the original game received that much direct time over its combined coverage. This is now a sequel, with two trailers already released... Short of Sakurai reading off a list of every change to the game, or the inclusion of a 3D level maker... 15 minutes seems unnecessarily long.

It also worth noting, the 3DS XL reveal received a 21 min direct including games, and the New 3DS's direct segment was only 17 minutes including games. So this next direct is within the right time, both in time-frame and running-time , for a hardware announcement.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone is still a question mark if it will escape price drops from retailers or not. There's still sizable unsold stock and sales will take a big hit after Golden Week.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
How long has it been since a golden week actually had big hw sales ?

I know GW is big, but it seems every year since i follow these threads GW just ends up being Golden Weak.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Could you elaborate further? I was under the impression that a console revision necessitated that there is a revision of some sort to a console. If the console remains the same but the market is different, are you saying that's a revision? So the biggest defining factor is the market? That goes contrary to my prior understanding.

If there isn't a market/audience for a revision, they won't make and sell it. It's all about market desire. There's no point in making product if there's no market for said product. We obv don't know how a switch mini would sell, but why would Nintendo want to take the risk while the Switch is still selling incredibly well?

Edit: how I see it, a Switch Mini would only succeed if the marketing for it is right. One of the reasons the WiiU failed is bad marketing. People didn't know what it was.

We also have to consider how much functions they have to strip away for the Switch Mini. Anyone remember the Wii Mini? That thing had a lot of things scrapped from the original Wii and I believe didn't sell that well. Anyone who has numbers?

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Buying it doesn't give permission to share numbers either.

Going by Media Create rules, copying numbers for weekly threads is forbidden too.

Seeing how Media Create restricted access to its weekly data set recently, wouldn't there be a concern as well on the White Paper's numbers then?
I guess we'll see when the time comes, in the mean time money saved for everyone involved.

Once raw pics are taken I can still help to do some of the grunt work of translating if needed, I know how big of a task it is.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
You can do that for free, share it... and it's legal?
Seeing how Media Create restricted access to its weekly data set recently, wouldn't there be a concern as well on the White Paper's numbers then?
I guess we'll see when the time comes, in the mean time money saved for everyone involved.

Once raw pics are taken I can still help to do some of the grunt work of translating if needed, I know how big of a task it is.

Japanese libraries don't let you scan books until at least 4 months after the book's launch in stores. And it has to be for research purposes.
That's why we have to wait until the of August for the numbers.

Last edited: