• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was based on a lot of games coming out, only one of which was a Wii U port. I have no clue what you're trying to argue. I've never claimed Tropical Freeze would drive hardware. I did claim Labo had the potential to- I was wrong on that (this is conceding a point in a discussion- something to consider sometimes!)
Labo had the potential to do that I agree with you but anything else? Not at all and never in my opinion. At least Minecraft is coming maybe this will have a decent impact?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
My point is shortage doesn't really affect PS4 that much.

You explain it much better than myself can.
I mean, it depends on what you consider much. Some people claimed that the drops to 12k in the weeks leading up to GW were not due to hardware, which I think the 35k week in the week before GW (and after that the 35k week during GW, which is decently higher than what PS4 did last year) and the week or two where PRO sold more than the base unit clearly disprove.

I don't think anyone tried to claim that PS4 sales would be significantly up at in those weeks YoY when comparing week for week, just that the discrepancy being so large was due to stock issues

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems the speculated stock issues for PS4 never were really a thing or decreased PS4 sales meaningful.

Software and Switch hardware sales seems good for this time of year.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The Switch will clear ball park 4m this year. I'm totally uninterested in this H1 being WiiU ports is a huge mistake that will have big repurcussion discussion at this point. Jesus christ, when the fuck has post GW (hell summer in general) ever been what you judge HW and SW on?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
After seeing these low numbers, any predictions on next time a platform tops 100k hardware in a week, and what platform will do that (I'm assuming Switch)? Are we looking all the way to Pokemon in Q4 (or holiday sales in general)?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
After seeing these low numbers, any predictions on next time a platform tops 100k hardware in a week, and what platform will do that (I'm assuming Switch)? Are we looking all the way to Pokemon in Q4 (or holiday sales in general)?

Whichever week is first of when Smash or Pokemon launches.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The Switch will clear ball park 4m this year. I'm totally uninterested in this H1 being WiiU ports is a huge mistake that will have big repurcussion discussion at this point. Jesus christ, when the fuck has post GW (hell summer in general) ever been what you judge HW and SW on?
It's particularly funny considering Switch has sold more than last year, and will continue to do so without any major releases in H2. Then, in H2 there's a shitload of big content lined up, so it will sell way more than in 2017.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Switch hardware wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

PS4 could be flirting with 10K soon

Software sales..yikes. Famitsu top 30 will be fascinating to see how low the chart gets number wise.
10k seems way too low. Has the ps4 ever been at that level? I'm thinking 12k will be the lowest it will go

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's particularly funny considering Switch has sold more than last year, and will continue to do so without any major releases in H2. Then, in H2 there's a shitload of big content lined up, so it will sell way more than in 2017.

Having games that simmer in H1 and releasing your heavy hitters in H2 is a valid strategy. If Nintendo (or any publisher really) could release a 10m seller ever quarter they would but nobody can so the criticism is extremely pointless.

If they had to choose between making sure year 1 on Switch established itself big and spreading out games for a menial year 2 H1 increase I think the choice is obvious.

And like you said, they will sell more than last year so what is the problem?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Having games that simmer in H1 and releasing your heavy hitters in H2 is a valid strategy. If Nintendo (or any publisher really) could release a 10m seller ever quarter they would but nobody can so the criticism is extremely pointless.

If they had to choose between making sure year 1 on Switch established itself big and spreading out games for a menial year 2 H1 increase I think the choice is obvious.

And like you said, they will sell more than last year so what is the problem?

I think in an ideal world they would have had a bigger hitter H1. I suspect they thought Labo could be that title.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I think in an ideal world they would have had a bigger hitter H1. I suspect they thought Labo could be that title.

Nothing about Switch hardware sales in 2018 thus far from all the sources we get numbers suggest to me they actually need a huge H1 title.

I also dont actually think Nintendo bets on kids cardboard for a $300 system to blow up as their "big" H1 title either. I think there is a reason Labo is H1 and not H2.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised how low software sales are even for the week after GW. Switch sales were about what I expected.

Pretty excited (scared for?) next week cause of Caligula: Overdrive. I want to see that game do well, it looks pretty cool.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Nothing about Switch hardware sales in 2018 thus far from all the sources we get numbers suggest to me they actually need a huge H1 title.

I also dont actually think Nintendo bets on kids cardboard for a $300 system to blow up as their "big" H1 title either. I think there is a reason Labo is H1 and not H2.

Its not unprecedented to have a big hitter in H1. I agree with you its not going to be a big deal in the long run- but I do think they were hoping for more from Labo.

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Selling more units in 2018 than in 2017 wouldn't be an achievement considering the total amount of 2017 Switch Japanese sales, sure it was supplied constrained, wasn't... that good... compared to previous Nintendo handhelds and how much it is selling everywhere else in the world. Let's hope they will do much much better than just beating that.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Its not unprecedented to have a big hitter in H1. I agree with you its not going to be a big deal in the long run- but I do think they were hoping for more from Labo.

A big H1 title is a good thing. Obviously a GOW type game does wonders. But weak H1 outside of year 1 doesnt make or break systems.

Do I think they wanted Labo to be bigger out the gate? Yes. Do I think the performance right now is worrying? For the Robot Kit yes, for the Variety kit not at all

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Selling more units in 2018 than in 2017 wouldn't be an achievement considering the total amount of 2017 Switch Japanese sales, sure it was supplied constrained, wasn't... that good... compared to previous Nintendo handhelds and how much it is selling everywhere else in the world. Let's hope they will do much much better than just beating that.

Would love to hear what you consider to be "much better" than 3.4M for a system priced as a home console both hardware and software wise.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The only one that sets the targets for a successful or not Fiscal Year is Nintendo.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Last year PS4 was at 17K too, and this is the worst period of the year, so it's not gonna have such a huge drop like that for the next weeks.

PS4 had DQ11 last summer and I don't believe KH3 will release this summer. I can see it releasing in November/December and up until that point there is not much of relevancy imo.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

The 1 or 2 million they will fall behind in Japan will be vastly vastly made up by the rest of the world then absolutely demolished by significantly higher software sales on Switch.

There is nothing to be worried about. Even if you ignore the rest of the world and focus on Japan, whatever imaginary expectations we set up for "good", when you clear 4m a year you are not in any danger.

Its pointless doom and glooming over what is going to make barely any difference in market and mindshare.

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong tropical freeze breaking 100k, other games continuing to leg.
God of war and snack world working their way to 100k.
Switch and ps4 having their post golden week drops.
Not too eventful of a week but not too bad either.

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The 1 or 2 million they will fall behind in Japan will be vastly vastly made up by the rest of the world then absolutely demolished by significantly higher software sales on Switch.

There is nothing to be worried about. Even if you ignore the rest of the world and focus on Japan, whatever imaginary expectations we set up for "good", when you clear 4m a year you are not in any danger.

Its pointless doom and glooming over what is going to make barely any difference in market and mindshare.
I'm not "doom and glooming" I'm just saying what expectations should be for a very good year for Switch in Japan imho.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only one that sets the targets for a successful or not Fiscal Year is Nintendo.

This. I am getting really sick and tired of people saying ignorant things like "Xenoblade sales are niche at best!" and "ARMS is a disappointment because it's not selling as well as Splatoon 2." Nintendo is setting the targets for what success is, not anybody else.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lets revisit this when/if the Switch reaches a similar price-point to 3DS/DS/GameBoy.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
PS4 had DQ11 last summer and I don't believe KH3 will release this summer. I can see it releasing in November/December and up until that point there is not much of relevancy imo.

PS4 didn't have big release before DQ and it managed to have even better weeks than that before July/August.

It is not gonna have such bad weeks like 10k or so, maybe under 15k.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This. I am getting really sick and tired of people saying ignorant things like "Xenoblade sales are niche at best!" and "ARMS is a disappointment because it's not selling as well as Splatoon 2." Nintendo is setting the targets for what success is, not anybody else.
The difference is we know Nintendo targets for Switch this year.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not "doom and glooming" I'm just saying what expectations should be for a very good year for Switch in Japan imho.

In reference to this:

So we were all agreeing all along that relying on WiiU ports this half of the year was a mistake as it wouldn't sustain good sales for the console? Ok, good to know.

Yes It's doom and gloomy with a little bit of strawman to boot.

And for the record. My position is H1 releases this year doesn't matter at all as far as driving hardware is concerned.

Nintendo blew their load in year 1 to establish the system and having a weaker H1 hardware wise as a result is fine given software wise its been great.

Again, I literally do not think HW matters at all from Jan to now given its not floating in the 15-20k range. Thus the whole relying on WiiU ports to sustain HW point has been irrelevant to me from day 1 because the strategy is clearly to ride year 1 success until they turn the corner in H2.

If they wanted to boost hardware they would release a new game in a series that historically sells over 5m units. If you are relying on ports (and that port isn't MK) you obviously arent worried about HW.

The extent people are sweating 10-15k a week is mind baffling

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im a nintendo fan but people on media create threads have become super defensive and overprotective when it comes to nintendo

people can have different expectations than nintendo/you when it comes to sales without being "wrong" you know

Last edited:

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
im nintendo fan but people on media create threads have become super defensive and overprotective when it comes to nintendo

people can have different expectations than nintendo/you when it comes to sales without being "wrong" you know

If you want to post your expectations then its subject to criticism. I don't really know what you're getting at.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
im nintendo fan but people on media create threads have become super defensive and overprotective when it comes to nintendo

Sure they can. It is just that those opinions are ultimately irrelevant next to what Nintendo's metrics were, if it made them money, if it pleased the BoD and share holders enough...

Like I could have wished Labo opened with 1 million in sales, but that has no impact on how Nintendo as a business views it or the long term plans for the project if the current sales trajectory is in line with their goals and they end up turning a profit.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im getting at not denying the truth. switch sales this year have been disappointing in japan relative to expectations. and yes, the underwhelming software launches were the main reason, there's no defending that if one is being intelectually honest. with himself and others

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo riding on the fumes of switch's lights out 2017

second half of 2018 will bring smash, pokemon and possibly fire emblem and animal crossing

shit will be on fire once more

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
im getting at not denying the truth. switch sales this year have been disappointing in japan relative to expectations.

No one is stating otherwise in regards to mediocre hardware. In regards to expectations, whose?

and yes, the underwhelming software launches were the main reason,

No one is stating otherwise

there's no defending that if one is being intelectually honest. with himself and others

You're seeing what you want to see frankly.

H1 hardware has been mediocre. Yes.

Using WiiU ports to pad H1 was a mistake? Naw, you will need better more complete evidence to make that claim. That's what people are taking issue with and it's pretty obvious why.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd buy robot kit if discounted.

Labo is fun, but it's not cheap and it's not easy to demo. That's a huge problem for it. You can't really generate word of mouth with it.