• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe old, Amazon jp bonus for octopath traveler, limited with Sticker Seal Set

71JjIghhI1L._SL1000_.jpg

71Hs0sztJgL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product...a-0149-45bb-a2b2-9b4531af080e&pf_rd_i=desktop
I didnt know the characters got different costumes....
It's almost super smash bros. like

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Other people? Ryozo was one of the lead designers of the first game and Portable 1
Nah, he was the head of the online technical team for MH and MHP. Tsuyoshi Tanaka was the producer. When Monster Hunter 2 came around after MHP, he left the online team and became assistant producer. And he conveniently became the producer of the series while Tanaka left the company, just as the series blew up. :thinking emoji:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm reading you correctly:

- USF2 was going to be part of the collection.
- Collection was initially only on PS4 and XBO, not on Switch.
- Switch would just get USF2 on its own.
- USF2's success on Switch convinced Capcom to give Switch owners the collection, and removed USF2 from it to avoid redundancy.

Basically sounds like Mass Effect Trilogy all over again. But the thing is, USF2 was by Capcom Japan internally IIRC. The collection is entirely by Digital Eclipse.

Unless USF2 in the collection was going to be by DE as well but I guess it'd have been the barebones version more based on HD Remix?
That is correct

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Next episode of the Yoiko webshow is about indies, more specifically Human: Fall Flat and Celeste. Look like there will be other games later.

Also, mpl90 is gonna love that: SNK Heroines is out on July 26th in Japan!.... Ok, that's a lie. Release date is September 6th (one day before EU/NA). What do you know, there ARE other days in Summer ;)

vala

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, he was the head of the online technical team for MH and MHP. Tsuyoshi Tanaka was the producer. When Monster Hunter 2 came around after MHP, he left the online team and became assistant producer. And he conveniently became the producer of the series while Tanaka left the company, just as the series blew up. :thinking emoji:
Yes, and after he became the producer, the series became a million seller.
What do you know about the other producers of the first game? Craft & Meister?
They made a clone called Earth Seeker which sold 18K
What other successful games Tanaka produced after he left the company?
Did you know that he also produced DMC 2 and 3? He was just a manager and a promoter. He had no experience working on games before he joined the company in 2001. He was doing this:
(from his linkedn)
1996-2001
・Editing magazines about TV, Travel, Video games, PC and Internet
・went on loan to advertisement agency to manage Internet advertisements
You are giving him too much credit...

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well this is Cac which is famously known to stop the rise of its old devs from rising from its position like Inafking.

Guess, it is kinda a blessing in disguise as Inafking is also pure fraud.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That would be an argument (not even a good one granted) for Japanese centered games but RE is way bigger in the West where streaming wouldn't be feasible for a large number of people and the West has the Switch with a sizable lead over the 3DS.

The Switch install base worldwide is at what? roughly 17 millions? That's a lot for a first year, a record for a console even, sales are great and third party support is going to increase steadily and quickly if it remains that way in the coming months/years.... but right now the Switch is still a market of "only" 17 millions and that console is competing again the PS4+XB1 install base which is much much bigger and yes you can consider this two install bases as one because of how close in pretty much every ways they are and on how easy it is to port games to both systems. So why on earth should third party developers that rely heavily on worldwide sales consider the Switch a priority? Personally based on that I can totally understand why it's not. Again things are going to improve as Switch userbase will increase and maybe the PS4 and XB1 getting older will see their appeal and active install base fading but right now I don't get at all why people expect a much better support from that kind of publishers.

And that's why the Japanese market is so important imo, because if Nintendo plays its cards right, better than they have done in the past, they could much quicker win a lot of support from Japanese developers because the XB1 is nonexistent and the PS4 is very weak there and this cumulative install base could easily be surpassed.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
And that's why the Japanese market is so important imo, because if Nintendo plays its cards right, better than they have done in the past, they could much quicker win a lot of support from Japanese developers because the XB1 is nonexistent and the PS4 is very weak there and this cumulative install base could easily be surpassed.
unless capcom redeem emselves and out of knowhere magic announce RE7 GROUND VERSION to Switch, given time or reveal vs release, and how cheap and easy is just to Slap on the stream service rather than work on a port itself. ill bet RE7:Cloud is capcom rushed attempt to capitalize on the Switch userbase that starting to sweep Japan. and is likely to remain the status Quo even after PS5 releases

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should change ur account name into v.installbase lol. As u just cant helo shoving install base into everything even when it dont even relate.
I know :) but it just works. As far as I remember I have never seen one instance where this metric couldn't explain third party support very logically. I'm really surprised that people seem to disagree with that as for me it's a given that these kinds of choices are heavily based on comparing the sizes of the different markets they can release their games on. People can believe what they want but I won't change my mind without good counterarguments as well. I'm sure professionals in that field have a lot more data to rely on but we don't and this has always been and will remain the best way to get a clear picture of the situation based on what know imo.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If you take in consideration that the development of a modern AAA game takes ~4 years, I think it's pretty fantastic how publishers can react to a 'low' install base before they start development of their new project.

/s

It's obviously bullshit. Publishers and the platformholder alike have expectations of the install base of a console at a certain moment in the platform's lifetime. They base their choices on that expectation and risk. If a platform sells much less than anticipated, it's easy to cancel the porting project, but if an unanticipated platform - like the Switch for many - sells much better than expected, it's hard to go back in time and do the work that should've been done before in order to enable a day-to-day release.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Failing to notice the Switch can be taken off the dock is a pretty big oversight if you ask me
IMO whatever happened before Switch came out is Nintendo Japan's fault to a very large degree:
Nintendo Japan went to all these Japanese developers and said to them - look, we are coming out with a new home console, the NX, basically the successor to the WiiU. You can also undock this home console and take it with you. But no, it is not really a handheld, and it is not the successor to the 3DS.

The above is basically what Nintendo Japan said in lots of interviews, and very probably what they said to Japanese developers when presenting . So companies like Capcom, Bandai Namco and even Game Freak, being traditional Japanese companies with varying degrees of imagination (...), took Nintendo by their word, and treated the Switch accordingly, as a home console that is not the successor to the 3DS.

What happened after Switch came out is entirely on Capcom though,

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you take in consideration that the development of a modern AAA game takes ~4 years, I think it's pretty fantastic how publishers can react to a 'low' install base before they start development of their new project.

/s

It's obviously bullshit. Publishers and the platformholder alike have expectations of the install base of a console at a certain moment in the platform's lifetime. They base their choices on that expectation and risk. If a platform sells much less than anticipated, it's easy to cancel the porting project, but if an unanticipated platform - like the Switch for many - sells much better than expected, it's hard to go back in time and do the work that should've been done before in order to enable a day-to-day release.
Anticipating Switch install base being way below the PS4+XB1 one in 2018 was quite easy to do you know based on these consoles release dates and the great start of the PS4, hence why they don't support better the former platform right now. Like always this makes perfect sense. I'm sure that they are anticipating now that the Switch market will be much more attractive in the coming years as well. Developers are certainly basing their development choices on what install bases they envision in the future.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Anticipating Switch install base being way below the PS4+XB1 one in 2018 was quite easy to do you know based on these consoles release dates and the great start of the PS4, hence why they don't support better the former platform right now. Like always this makes perfect sense. I'm sure that they are anticipating now that the Switch market will be much more attractive in the coming years as well. Developers are certainly basing their development choices on what install bases they envision in the future.
It's the same for every platform: the Switch may have a lower install base now than the PS4/XBO, but the PS4 had a low install base after one year as well. And so does every platform. If game publishers were run by people like you, we'd still be playing on our PS2, or maybe even our SNES.

And if they start working on Switch games now, those games will be finished in 2022 and by that time it's almost time for a new system. Such slacking isn't healthy for the industry, and it's not healthy for the company, because they're always late to the party, and the golden rule regarding sales of products that are hit-driven is 'be first or be best'. Only a small number of games can be best; it's easier to get in first. And this is actually how most Japanese game publishers have made themselves increasingly irrelevant: they're slow to adapt (not first) and western developers have streamlined their tools and processes and as a result, make bigger, more beautiful games that apparently also have more widespread appeal. So the Japanese are not the best anymore either.

Slacking also violates the chicken-and-egg cycle of 'software drives hardware and hardware drives software'. Because imagine if all major publishers don't shift towards the new device and that new device won't have any big games for the first four years of its life. Consumers don't want to buy that product, because there's no games for it, and publishers don't want to develop for it, because there's no consumers. So publishers keep working on the established, older device, but people will get bored of it sooner or later. The thirst for a new generation was immense at the end of the PS3/360 generation, which was a bit longer than usual.

So taking risks on genres and platforms is common business for major publishers and it keeps the current console model alive.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
As far as I remember I have never seen one instance where this metric couldn't explain third party support very logically.
Wii and DS both experienced this. Despite having much higher installed base than the competition both in Japan and worldwide, many Japanese developers in particular preferred to put heavy hitters and big blockbusters on PS3 and PSP. The biggest franchises in Japan saw high effort releases on PSP instead of DS, with the DS getting lower effort remakes and ports instead. For the Wii, big franchises skipped it almost entirely opting to go on PS3 despite the system struggling to sell.

In fact I think many long time posters here will tell you that we had heated debates about this way back in GAF. I was always explaining why some of these decisions were made - because of the expectation of bare minimum tech quality from the fanbases, and the popularity the PSP had in the ad-hoc multiplayer space in Japan. And many people here were screaming about "installed base" like you are now, baffled as to why developers and publishers didn't support the Wii and DS more than they already did, and why they put prized exclusive games on the PSP instead.

So yeah, installed base is not everything.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised that people seem to disagree with that as for me it's a given that these kinds of choices are heavily based on comparing the sizes of the different markets they can release their games on. People can believe what they want but I won't change my mind without good counterarguments as well. I'm sure professionals in that field have a lot more data to rely on but we don't and this has always been and will remain the best way to get a clear picture of the situation based on what know imo.
Meh, they're mostly just thinking with their hearts, not their heads.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wii and DS both experienced this. Despite having much higher installed base than the competition both in Japan and worldwide, many Japanese developers in particular preferred to put heavy hitters and big blockbusters on PS3 and PSP. The biggest franchises in Japan saw high effort releases on PSP instead of DS, with the DS getting lower effort remakes and ports instead. For the Wii, big franchises skipped it almost entirely opting to go on PS3 despite the system struggling to sell.
There was much more anticipation for the PSP pre-release than the DS (Digital Foundry actually did a Retro video on it recently), and that adds to my story above where publishers make decisions based on expectations set long before they can see the first actual results.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The Switch install base worldwide is at what? roughly 17 millions? That's a lot for a first year, a record for a console even, sales are great and third party support is going to increase steadily and quickly if it remains that way in the coming months/years.... but right now the Switch is still a market of "only" 17 millions and that console is competing again the PS4+XB1 install base which is much much bigger and yes you can consider this two install bases as one because of how close in pretty much every ways they are and on how easy it is to port games to both systems. So why on earth should third party developers that rely heavily on worldwide sales consider the Switch a priority?

This literally is not the discussion we were having. The majority of posters here do not expect the Switch to be a priority over the PS4/XB1/PC environment. People may expect better Japanese third party support but no one is expecting huge AAA titles (especially Western ones) to be on the Switch as a priority. That's honesty you making shit up.

The argument you have consistently made is that Nintendo failed to grow the installbase fast enough in Japan and that is what js slowing support. You absolutely have not been making general installbase arguments. And furthermore, the distance the Switch is behind 3DS is not so significant that a third party publisher would make or break. It's going to be the dominant system in Japan for 4-5 years. Whether its at 4 million or 5 million right now plays little part in decision making because support is based on projections and those projections are not so fluff that 1m units changes the outlook. In additin you are completely ignoring that software sales on the Switch have been very good and that metric is just as important as hardware.

But to simplify, you havent been out here arguing the Switch userbase is small in comparison to the other systems and that's why it lacks support. Absolutely not. You have been going on much more "way behind 3DS, WiiU ports were a mistake to grow install base (duh they werent meant to grow installbase), doom, gloom" posts and that is why you have a million people disagreeing with you.

If this was just about Switch vs PS4/XB1/PC no one would be disagreeing.

Meh, they're mostly just thinking with their hearts, not their heads.

This is you not paying attention to the discussion. Nothing about heart vs head.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO's Ranking pre-orders, 2018 (May 14 - May 20)

company06.jpg

~ 1.200 stores

About ranking:
- N is the title that was not ranked in within last ranking
- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
- The ranking of the title is ranking by the total number including other models and bonus version
- Hardware order of multi titles is in order of hardware release date

01/02 [PS4] Fate / EXTELLA LINK - June 07
01/02 [PSV] Fate / EXTELLA LINK - June 07
02/03 [NSW] Mario Tennis Ace - June 22
03/04 [PS4] New Gundam Breaker - June 21
04/08 [PS4] The Crew 2 - June 29
05/ N [NSW] Minecraft - June 21
06/07 [PS4] Zanki Zero: Last Beginning - July 05
06/07 [PSV] Zanki Zero: Last Beginning - July 05
07/06 [NSW] Octopath Traveler - July 13
08/ N [NSW] Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version! - July 19
09/10 [NSW] BLAZBLUE: CROSS TAG BATTLE - May 31
09/10 [PS4] BLAZBLUE: CROSS TAG BATTLE - May 31
10/11 [NSW] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - June 08
10/11 [3DS] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - June 08
11/12 [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V: Premium Online Edition - June 14
12/15 [PS4] Super Bomberman R - June 14
13/16 [PS4] Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares Wins - May 31
14/17 [PS4] Record of Grancrest War - June 14
15/18 [PS4] Life is Strange: Before the Storm - June 07
16/ N [PS4] Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 - August 30
17/19 [PS4] Spider-Man - September 07
18/20 [NSW] Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution - August 02
19/21 [NSW] SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô - August 02
19/21 [PS4] SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô - August 02
20/ N [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - July 13
20/ N [3DS] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - July 13

21/23 [NSW] Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana - June 28
22/22 [PS4] Mary Skelter 2 - June 28
23/24 [PS4] Friday The 13th: The Game - July 13
24/25 [NSW] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
24/25 [PS4] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
24/25 [PSV] STEINS; GATE ELITE - 2018
25/ N [3DS] WarioWare Gold - August 02
26/ N [NSW] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaires' Conspiracy DX - August 09

27/26 [3DS] Etrian Odyssey X - August 02
28/27 [NSW] My Hero Academia: One's Justice - August 23
28/27 [PS4] My Hero Academia: One's Justice - August 23
29/ N [PS4] Bullet Girls Phantasia - August 9
29/ N [PSV] Bullet Girls Phantasia - August 9

30/28 [NSW] Makai Senki Disgaea Refine (limited edition) - July 26
30/28 [PS4] Makai Senki Disgaea Refine (limited edition) - July 26
31/29 [NSW] Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1 + 2 - July 26
31/29 [PS4] Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1 + 2 - July 26
32/30 [NSW] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
32/30 [PS4] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
32/30 [WIU] Dragon Quest X All in One Package - July 26
33/31 [NSW] GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology - June 14
33/31 [PS4] GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology - June 14
33/31 [PSV] GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology - June 14
34/33 [NSW] The Liar Princess and Blind Prince - May 31
34/33 [PS4] The Liar Princess and Blind Prince - May 31
34/33 [PSV] The Liar Princess and Blind Prince - May 31
35/ N [PS4] ANUBIS ZONE OF THE ENDERS : M∀RS - September 06
36/35 [PS4] Brave Neptunia: World! Universe! Pay Attention!! Ultimate RPG Declaration!! - September 27
37/32 [NSW] Sonic Mania Plus - July 19
37/32 [PS4] Sonic Mania Plus - July 19
38/38 [NSW] Shining Resonance Refrain - July 12
39/39 [NSW] Closed Nightmare - July 19
39/39 [PS4] Closed Nightmare - July 19
40/34 [NSW] LEGO: The Incredibles - August 02
40/34 [PS4] LEGO: The Incredibles - August 02

PS4: 28
NSW: 22 (the best switch games score)
PSV: 6
3DS: 4
WIU: 1

- Games close to release date and games for which reservation reception has ended in Geo are not published in the ranking
01/01 [PS4] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - May 24
01/01 [PS4] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - May 24
01/01 [PSV] Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night - May 24
01/01 [PSV] Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - May 24
05/05 [PS4] DARK SOULS REMASTERED - May 24
09/09 [PS4] Detroit: Become Human - May 25
13/15 [PS4] UNDERTALE - May 24
13/15 [PSV] UNDERTALE - May 24
14/13 [NSW] Rockman Classics Collection 1 + 2 - May 24

GEO's Ranking pre-orders, 2018 (May 07 - May 13)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...2018-apr-30-may-06.41349/page-20#post-7971952

Last edited:

v2_0

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

In fact I think many long time posters here will tell you that we had heated debates about this way back in GAF. I was always explaining why some of these decisions were made - because of the expectation of bare minimum tech quality from the fanbases, and the popularity the PSP had in the ad-hoc multiplayer space in Japan. And many people here were screaming about "installed base" like you are now, baffled as to why developers and publishers didn't support the Wii and DS more than they already did, and why they put prized exclusive games on the PSP instead.

Install base is not everything, of course not but it is imo still the most important factor to consider: how big a market and how many customers you can potentially reach with your game. Of course there are other important aspects like the audience profile that will impact how that audience will enjoy specific kind of games, genres, universes... This is also always to take into consideration and explains easily most of the cases you are talking about.

The Wii and DS obviously were very casual-centric platforms that weren't that suitable for "hardcore" games. Though I strongly disagree with you that the PSP had more heavy hitters especially for the biggest Japanese IPs than the DS. MH wasn't technically possible for DS probably but I don't remember much more big hitters on PSP for sure. It got a lot of niche Japanese games though but maybe I'm just forgetting some important stuff... As for the Wii not only was it a very casual platform but it also had a lot more competition with the PS3 and 360 representing like the PS4 and XB1 nowadays a very cohesive market and one that was never behind the Wii one in terms of install base. The Wii and DS still got a lot of support just games that most people don't care about in these forums but still a very big support relative to their perceived audience. There were a lot of releases, probably much more than with any other Nintendo platforms (and still a lot of great games but that's another debate). I also don't agree that the "minimum tech quality from the fanbase" is such an important criteria. DQ doing so well on DS for example was a really good example of that.

So, sure I'm not saying that we just have to only consider install bases, there are other criteria but those are more a way to put that install base into context and to precise its nature than anything else. Speaking about Switch and PS4+XB1 most of the other criteria seems to be less relevant though this time around (the user base is way less casual probably than the Wii and DS ones were for instance) making that comparison even more worthwhile.

Last edited:

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

However this time, it is totally different condition there. As there is literally zero handheld platform except for Nintendo's. So now, if company actually wanted to get bigger sales in their homeland. Releasing a Switch version is a good moves.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So Capcom will need their own Spirits Within to "re-evaluate" the market. Best wishes for that not happen.

I thought Gaist Crusher project is already that?^_^

Nice of Ubisoft to push for full feature parity with PS4/XBone.

Do you really meant that "/s" though? I don't doubt for one second western sales are going to dwarf JP sales (not that it'd be much of an achievement, tbh). Now, of course, I'm not sure about any saving ;)

Gal Metal will surely sold much better than what it sold in JP lol. Especially if Marvelous actually tries to promote the game there.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt many pubs nowadays make their decision on what to release in the west based on the JPN performance anyway. They just evaluate if it could sell on digital marketplaces and how much copies retailers order for similar games on that plattform.

Switch clearly has proven itself as a plattform were smaller title can thrive in the west - thats the only relevant factor.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
You mean the executive management where the CEO hires his son as the COO, and promotes his other son to a board member after placing him in a producer position to manage the Monster Hunter franchise after other people made it a hit?
Yeah, that. A real bunch of stable geniuses.
Basically sounds like Mass Effect Trilogy all over again.
I suppose Capcom figures us Switch owners should be thankful we're getting the SF2 Collection at all, instead of being left with USF at $40 while the Collection got released everywhere else for $20.
So right now they are caught in a weird place, with having to open up whatever little Resources available to deliver something on Switch in addition to the standard systems.
The thing I don't understand is that, since the Switch has proven to be a moneymaker for Capcom even with the half-assed support they've shown, why not divert the resources a little more and two-thirds-ass the support instead? It's not like the Western PS4 fanboys Capcom is courting will care if an upcoming game gets delayed an additional month or two as a result.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The above is basically what Nintendo Japan said in lots of interviews, and very probably what they said to Japanese developers when presenting . So companies like Capcom, Bandai Namco and even Game Freak, being traditional Japanese companies with varying degrees of imagination (...), took Nintendo by their word, and treated the Switch accordingly, as a home console that is not the successor to the 3DS.
Sure, but blaming Nintendo for third parties lack of preparedness is still silly. I mean, this entire strategy hinges on Japanese gamers continuing their pattern of preferring portables over dedicated home consoles -- but that's still an assumption about how the market will react. If the Microsoft XBox 2 get released and it explodes in popularity for whatever reason, do we (wrongly) blame Microsoft for whatever reason, or do we (rightly) blame third parties for not being prepared with contingency plans?
I agree that install base doesn't explain everything (with the Wii being Exhibit A), but "expectation of bare minimum tech quality" still doesn't explain a lot of the third parties' inexplicable decisions at the time, such as turning Castlevania into a 2D fighter or Rockstar doing a table-tennis game. This is especially apparent in hindsight, where the most successful third-party Wii games turned out to be those in genres that weren't casual-friendly fare already served by Nintendo themselves.
However this time, it is totally different condition there. As there is literally zero handheld platform except for Nintendo's. So now, if company actually wanted to get bigger sales in their homeland. Releasing a Switch version is a good moves.
You are overqualified to work at Capcom, sorry.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
How was Phantasy Star Cloud Edition perceived in Japan and how has it "sold"?

Also, how did it perform from a technical standpoint?

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I agree that install base doesn't explain everything (with the Wii being Exhibit A), but "expectation of bare minimum tech quality" still doesn't explain a lot of the third parties' inexplicable decisions at the time, such as turning Castlevania into a 2D fighter or Rockstar doing a table-tennis game. This is especially apparent in hindsight, where the most successful third-party Wii games turned out to be those in genres that weren't casual-friendly fare already served by Nintendo themselves.

What's the problem with this one?
It was a 360 game first and foremost and back then everyone thought it was a no brainer to do a Wii port later on which is what happened.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
How was Phantasy Star Cloud Edition perceived in Japan and how has it "sold"?

Also, how did it perform from a technical standpoint?

SEGA hasn't shared any data, I'm afraid. It's currently #5 most downloaded game on the JP eShop, behind the BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle demo, some F2P ramen game by the same publisher as the JAV VN thingies, the NicoNico app, and Wizard of Legend.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
MH wasn't technically possible for DS probably but I don't remember much more big hitters on PSP for sure.
Type-0, Crisis Core, Birth by Sleep, Peace Walker, 2 Dissidias, 2 Phantasy Star Portables. That's a lot of very big budget support from big franchises on a system that is trailing the DS by a huge margin. Much of it was premium resources from in-house teams who usually worked on console titles too. As compared to the support the same publishers gave the DS, which is ports of older games and outsourced titles. S-E made a lot of money on the DS with Dragon Quest, but none of that tapped into their internal resources at all. Even their FF3 and FF4 remakes were outsourced to Matrix. Meanwhile they were tripping over themselves using the top talent on stuff like Dissidia. It says a lot about business especially in Japan isn't just about installed base.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
SEGA hasn't shared any data, I'm afraid. It's currently #5 most downloaded game on the JP eShop, behind the BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle demo, some F2P ramen game by the same publisher as the JAV VN thingies, the NicoNico app, and Wizard of Legend.

That seems to be a decent result, but who knows without actual numbers of any kind. Have you tried it, or heard anything about Technical performance like if it lags noticeably?

Has anything been said if this is something that Nintendo has available for Devs/Pubs that want to use it?

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Type-0, Crisis Core, Birth by Sleep, Peace Walker, 2 Dissidias, 2 Phantasy Star Portables. That's a lot of very big budget support from big franchises on a system that is trailing the DS by a huge margin. Much of it was premium resources from in-house teams who usually worked on console titles too. As compared to the support the same publishers gave the DS, which is ports of older games and outsourced titles. S-E made a lot of money on the DS with Dragon Quest, but none of that tapped into their internal resources at all. Even their FF3 and FF4 remakes were outsourced to Matrix. Meanwhile they were tripping over themselves using the top talent on stuff like Dissidia. It says a lot about business especially in Japan isn't just about installed base.
They all got together and really, really tried to make PSP a thing.

In the end weirdly it was a cut down non-online port of a middling selling online PS2 game was what made the PSP take off, instead of all the premium efforts.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So.......incompetence? Bias?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was much more anticipation for the PSP pre-release than the DS (Digital Foundry actually did a Retro video on it recently), and that adds to my story above where publishers make decisions based on expectations set long before they can see the first actual results.
That wouldn't explain why they continue to support PSP, years after release. Shouldn't they know better by then?