• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Type-0, Crisis Core, Birth by Sleep, Peace Walker, 2 Dissidias, 2 Phantasy Star Portables. That's a lot of very big budget support from big franchises on a system that is trailing the DS by a huge margin. Much of it was premium resources from in-house teams who usually worked on console titles too. As compared to the support the same publishers gave the DS, which is ports of older games and outsourced titles. S-E made a lot of money on the DS with Dragon Quest, but none of that tapped into their internal resources at all. Even their FF3 and FF4 remakes were outsourced to Matrix. Meanwhile they were tripping over themselves using the top talent on stuff like Dissidia. It says a lot about business especially in Japan isn't just about installed base.
That's ok and certainly consistent with the really good numbers the platform made in Japan thanks mostly to MH but that's nowhere near what DS got. Square output on DS alone was much more impressive imo (edit: and many are lacking). The FF games that you are mentioning were perhaps outsourced but they were very meaningful releases and full 3D remakes of mainline entries not spin offs. If that would have been the other way around I can only imagine the criticisms from Nintendo fans while I don't remember there were that much at the time, not at all actually.

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So.......incompetence? Bias?
Or maybe that these games can't run on DS. Also, these games sold well on PSP, so how is it incompetence? The point is, the platform with the biggest install base doesn't necessarily has the biggest fanbase for every franchise. I'd say there are more FF fans among PSP owners than DS owners. And in WII's case, it has the smallest fanbase of most franchises.

SE also put some high quality games on DS though, like FFTA2, the FFCC games, TWEWY, Dragon Quest Joker series. Many of them surprisingly don't have very good sales. FFT remake on PSP completely stomped FFTA2 on DS.

Similarly Namco put three original Tales games on DS, ToH in particular is of very high quality, yet they are consitently outsold by remakes on PSP.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
PSP got this size of support from Japanese publishers (and away from DS) after Monster Hunter Portable gave second life to it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
What would be a reasonable first week prediction for Minecraft?
Around 50k? More?

Given its pace on Comgnet et other stores like GEO, I would say that a 100k+ opening is not out of the question and would completely blow my initial expectations too.

The series was known for having small opening and incredible legs but now it could open really well.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Type-0, Crisis Core, Birth by Sleep, Peace Walker, 2 Dissidias, 2 Phantasy Star Portables. That's a lot of very big budget support from big franchises on a system that is trailing the DS by a huge margin. Much of it was premium resources from in-house teams who usually worked on console titles too. As compared to the support the same publishers gave the DS, which is ports of older games and outsourced titles. S-E made a lot of money on the DS with Dragon Quest, but none of that tapped into their internal resources at all. Even their FF3 and FF4 remakes were outsourced to Matrix. Meanwhile they were tripping over themselves using the top talent on stuff like Dissidia. It says a lot about business especially in Japan isn't just about installed base.

I'll dare to say that PSP was made to be a sucessor to the GBA, even in the scope of projects over it. I think that I'm being naive and disingenuous about the whole question, but I think that if sony had a handheld on that time, games like Final Fantasy Tatics Advance and Boktai would never come to a Nintendo console in the first place.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind that it was discovered that that ultra SF2 port that they convinced nintendo to publish for them was gonna be apart of the SFCollection, so once they found out how good the game sold, might aswell verbally said "shit" and removed it from the collection and greenlit a switch port for it
Where was this discovered? Mike Mika (of Digital Eclipse) went on record last year saying Capcom had prioritized development of the Switch port of SF30thAC from day one of their involvement with the project. He also mentioned he expects the Switch port will probably be the best selling version.

The only way what you say could be true is if Capcom had an entirely different SF anniversary project from a different developer that got scrapped in favor of DE's collection.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
What would be a reasonable first week prediction for Minecraft?
Around 50k? More?
Prior Minecraft openings:
Code:
PSV    Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition    36.593    1.426.849    SCE    19/03/2015
PS4    Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition    5.680    644.208    SCE    03/12/2015
WIU    Minecraft: Wii U Edition    22.676    552.569    Microsoft    17/12/2015
50k would be by far the biggest opening, and signs grom preorders suggest that that is quite possible. Additionally, it'll have big legs, so Minecraft could put in great numbers on Switch I think.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
About Capcom, they better have something Switch related at E3 and no a year and a half old 3DS port doesn't count.
It doesn't even have to be some type of AAA big budget game either. Give us Ace Attorney or Viewtiful Joe. Those are games that would sell well on Switch

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
About Capcom, they better have something Switch related at E3 and no a year and a half old 3DS port doesn't count.
It doesn't even have to be some type of AAA big budget game either. Give us Ace Attorney or Viewtiful Joe. Those are games that would sell well on Switch
AA is a given, but Viewtiful Joe? That's the kind of games that bombs everywhere.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Expecting sizable support for Switch from Capcom at E3 is like expecting Falcom to develop for Nintendo. I doubt they will show anything more than (last gens) ports.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
AA is a given, but Viewtiful Joe? That's the kind of games that bombs everywhere.
VJ1 GC outsold Okami PS2 in the west. Yet Okami's been ported like crazy but Joe seemed to die with Clover.

I think something like a Viewtiful HD Collection could do pretty well. And Capcom's running out of games to remaster anyway so they might as well.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Expecting sizable support for Switch from Capcom at E3 is like expecting Falcom to develop for Nintendo. I doubt they will show anything more than (last gens) ports.

iOS to Switch ports:
Ghost Trick
Monster Hunter Stories
Ace Attorney Trilogy

All announced at E3 TGS

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Which is ever weirder, to bet on a handheld from a company with zero experience on that market.
Not at the time. Back in 2004 basically the entire industry (publishers, retailers, analysts, press) thought PSP was going to steamroll DS. The narrative was that Sony would do in the portable sphere exactly what they did in the home console market to Nintendo.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol you all are crazy if you think Viewtiful Joe has any chance of coming back. He's too different from the type of content Capcom wants to push today.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Not that weird. SE had an excellent relationship with Sony at the time and it made sense for them to partner on their entry into the handheld market.
But was enough to cover the possible losses over the project if it wasn't successful?
I could only understand that if the games were funded by Sony itself, but that wasn't even the case.

Not at the time. Back in 2004 basically the entire industry (publishers, retailers, analysts, press) thought PSP was going to steamroll DS. The narrative was that Sony would do in the portable sphere exactly what they did in the home console market to Nintendo.

That's why narratives are dumb. I remember the pic of a guy with two PSP's and a DS in the center with something like "hey please gimme attention". To imply that a console, game or even a product is fated to success because it basically exists is a business myopia.

Well, unless if you're a scoundrel company like Apple.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Not that weird. SE had an excellent relationship with Sony at the time and it made sense for them to partner on their entry into the handheld market.
It wasn't the first time they did that, Square bet big on the wonderswan as opposed to the gba, that's why the wonderswan got multiple SE games early into its life and square supports for the nds was later than most third parties on the gba

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
lol you all are crazy if you think Viewtiful Joe has any chance of coming back. He's too different from the type of content Capcom wants to push today.
HD Remasters are like 75% of Capcom's output. And they're running out of other notable Gen 6 stuff to port, at this point it's just Onimusha, VJ and maybe Killer 7.

It wasn't the first time they did that, Square bet big on the wonderswan as opposed to the gba, that's why the wonderswan got multiple SE games early into its life and square supports for the nds was later than most third parties on the gba
Square bet on Wonderswan because they were estranged from Nintendo at the time. Enix meanwhile went in heavy on GBC and early GBA support.

Square's early DS support was good but it was also a bit more retro and kid focused (DQ spinoffs, FF remakes). Basically a direct continuation of what they were already doing on GBA.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
That moment when a significant release in Japan for a Nintendo Handheld/Hybrid is a Microsoft game that probably sold more copies in japan than all microsoft consoles did combined.

Can Minecraft Switch Week 1 beat the LTD of Xbox1 that week ?

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
That moment when a significant release in Japan for a Nintendo Handheld/Hybrid is a Microsoft game that probably sold more copies in japan than all microsoft consoles did combined.

Can Minecraft Switch Week 1 beat the LTD of Xbox1 that week ?
It probably will.
Keep in mind the Wii U version released in late 2015 sold over 300k at retail...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which is ever weirder, to bet on a handheld from a company with zero experience on that market.
Say you have a bunch of console devs who don't know anything about HD development. Would you rather work on PSP and make PS2-ish game or work on PS3?

PSP's "console experience on the go" concept had a lot of positive buzz back then. Even western devs were excited.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom was def. going for that Vita/WiiU treatment with the Switch. As in port some irrelevant games over that underperform so you can justify staying away for the whole gen and put focus/concentrate Resources on PS4/XBO/PC development where its needed.

So lipservice support for Nintendo without going all "burn every bridge" ala Squaresoft in the 90. Only issue is that Switch turned out to be a success and people kept demanding Capcom games on the system. So right now they are caught in a weird place, with having to open up whatever little Resources available to deliver something on Switch in addition to the standard systems.

I dont think their support is as bad as some people here are suggesting....but i also think that if we dont get big Switch related announcements from them by e3 and/or Nintendo fall pre-TGS conference it likely wont happen and that are gearing up for PS5/Nextbox already.
Very accurate. Capcom bet on Switch not being a success. The company does not have large amounts of development resources to devote to the System. 2 people were tasked with porting MT Framework to Switch. Honestly I expect them to try and do more streaming stuff to Switch in Japan. NA/EU may just get cut out for the most part besides token things

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

At this point all I want from Capcom is Resident Evil 4,5,6 and Dead Rising 1,2, OTR on Switch since they are not supporting it with big budget games as it seems right now.

Is Minecraft Switch really gonna be big in it's first week when it has been on sales on Eshop for a few months? Can it outsell the Vita version?

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft on Wii U sold 50K during the period between July 11 to September 4 2016. An average of 7K per week on the Wii U during 2016 summer vacation in Japan.
During December 2016 Minecraft on the Wii U sold 68K in a 4 Week period an average of 17K per week.

Now during those two period Wii U was barely selling at all - it sold around 20K during the four weeks of December. While during the period July 11 to September 4 it sold around 34K. The situation for the Switch will be drastically different and Minecraft remains hugely relevant for the demographic buying Switches during those holidays. There is a reason why Minecraft has remained in top position for the majority of the past year on the Japanese eShop & why the majority of top viewed videos on Nintendo JP's YouTube channel are Minecraft Lets Play series.
Like I said in the previous forum to me Minecraft remains a game that with a user-base of >20M in Japan has a chance to sell >5M - personally I think it will surpass 1M physical this year.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
People forget what appeal had a portable PlayStation for third-parties in a time when PlayStation 2 was dominating.
Everybody was on board for PSP when it was announced.
Not many (and mostly from Japan) were on board for PSV.

Squaresoft didn't have the license to develop for Nintendo consoles for 6 years so if they wanted to sell their games on dedicated handhelds they had to develop for non-Nintendo handhelds and Wonderswan happened to be the only one to be moderately successful in Japan (also Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon which was licensed to Bandai for the Wonderswan launch sold well).
With such context Squaresoft support for Wonderswan is understandable.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft on Wii U sold 50K during the period between July 11 to September 4 2016. An average of 7K per week on the Wii U during 2016 summer vacation in Japan.
During December 2016 Minecraft on the Wii U sold 68K in a 4 Week period an average of 17K per week.

Now during those two period Wii U was barely selling at all - it sold around 20K during the four weeks of December. While during the period July 11 to September 4 it sold around 34K. The situation for the Switch will be drastically different and Minecraft remains hugely relevant for the demographic buying Switches during those holidays. There is a reason why Minecraft has remained in top position for the majority of the past year on the Japanese eShop & why the majority of top viewed videos on Nintendo JP's YouTube channel are Minecraft Lets Play series.
Like I said in the previous forum to me Minecraft remains a game that with a user-base of >20M in Japan has a chance to sell >5M - personally I think it will surpass 1M physical this year.
that'd boost that 100m software

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
PSP got this size of support from Japanese publishers (and away from DS) after Monster Hunter Portable gave second life to it.

I think I'll agree with this one. While we had publishers like Square who betted early on (as duckroll mentioned, Crisis Core: FFVII was announced back in 2004 and then released in 2007), it was Monster Hunter Portable, 2nd more specifically, to start making the system attractive to Japanese third party developers again, after the (logic at the time, I'd say) initial enthusiasm for the prospect of a portable PlayStation, coming off the PS2. As I may have stated multiple times, Wii's third party support was affected by a variety of factors (both internal to the system itself and market-related), with one of them being how it was NOT the market leader, due to systems having stronger sales and better software environments for more core-related offerings: the PSP was one of the two strongest systems in the market, with the DS ahead, and Monster Hunter as a whole was by far the main responsible for the system's "reinassance".

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Square and Nintendo had back blood back then

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

It isn't going to sell 5M.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Ironic then that we finally have a proper "console experience on the go" and all these developers are shuffling their feet looking around awkwardly.

Console experience on the go is more a marketing catchphrase than anything else.

GBA was a SNES++ on the GO PSP a lesser PS2 on the go DS was thought as a N64 on the go at first, 3DS a WII on the go PSV a lesser PS3 on the go and all had titles at launch or near launch to make the audience think that.
The reality is that titles always needed reworking and compromises to be able to fit on a handheld, nothing really changed ont that front except Nintendo made a bigger effort than usual to be more compliant with popular engines and middlewares.

Oct 25, 2017
New Dock-less Switch announced by NCL's twitter.
Goes for 24,980 yen

That's one way to get sales up

Seems to be nintendo's Online store only and for families that already have a switch.
Probably won't do a ton.