• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Doesnt look like there's an AC adapter, so you'll have to buy a USB C cable
Or use the one you already have. Not coming with an AC adapter is the norm here, no one is going to be upset/surprised about this. The worst thing about getting free/bundled things is figuring out how to get rid of them or paying someone to take it away.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Or use the one you already have. Not coming with an AC adapter is the norm here, no one is going to be upset/surprised about this. The worst thing about getting free/bundled things is figuring out how to get rid of them or paying someone to take it away.
No, they're cheap and Japanese people are conditioned to accept businesses cheapness

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Only for MyNintendoStore means that every new quarter, Nintendo shipments for Japan and Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki difference will be bigger and bigger, since any of them track this store.

Vena

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it not cheap to sell an eletronic device that doesn't work unless you have/buy an extra accessory.

Almost as if this were meant as a complimentary device...

469.gif

... and advertised as such.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you mean what I'm talking about when I say mindless decisions :
- releasing a port of SF2 of all games when the SFCollection was already in development for the machine at that time
- not releasing Okami HD day and date
- not releasing any old RE game port despite RER1+2 selling so well last year
- localize MHXX one year later and 8 months after a better MH game released
- not releasing the Disney afternoon collection on the console that has the most retro-centric userbase
- not releasing the DMC HD collection when the re-release of Bayonetta 1+2 proved that there's a sizeable BTA audience already present
- refusing to use a single cartridge (that wouldn't cost more than a PS4 Blu-ray) for both MMLC or MMXLC games and thus alienating part of the target audience
- refusing to release retail versions of MMLC, MMXLC, RER1+2 in Europe despite being an important market for Capcom
- and now, releasing a cloud version of RE7 exclusively in its worst market out of the big 3 instead of making a full price port for a worldwide release

and it has been barely more than a year

IMO, Capcom is deliberate trying to find a way to pull support from Switch (and Nintendo). This may sound conspiracy theory, but their actions is clearly indicating this. This didn't happened yet because Switch is on a hot momentum and boosted their games in return. If they bombed, Capcom would have used as excuse to jump off. Capcom's close relations with Sony, such as SFV console exclusive, MHW's Asia exclusive and (if confirmed) DMCV's PS4 exclusive, probably have a hand into this.

I think Nintendo needs to talk with Tsujimoto family and ask for a more serious Capcom support.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
IMO, Capcom is deliberate trying to find a way to pull support from Switch (and Nintendo).
Yup. The only reason they don't pull the plug completely is because everyone else would go OMGWTFBBQ and realize Capcom leadership is completely off their rocker.
I think Nintendo needs to talk with Tsujimoto family and ask for a more serious Capcom support.
Nah, I think Nintendo should just give Capcom the cold shoulder and let them twist in the wind. Then purchase the remains when Capcom inevitably files for bankruptcy.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crisis Core was announced in 2004, and Birth by Sleep was in development from 2005. Square already bet big on the Psp before MHP was a thing.

One was a PSP game (CC) from the start of development and the other (BBS) was a PS2 game until its creator/director told his team to stop what they were doing and instead remake a GBA game from the same series for the PS2. Then when said team got back to making their PS2 game, that console was no longer viable given the time they would finish making it. With no experience with HD consoles (something the main Tokyo KH team had problems with the PS3), the PSP was the only logical hardware (mini PS2) that could handle such a game, especially with its importance as the next numbered title after KH2. Had to clarify since you brought up a title that wasn't originally a PSP game in regards to SE betting big on the PSP as an example.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
One was a PSP game (CC) from the start of development and the other (BBS) was a PS2 game until its creator/director told his team to stop what they were doing and instead remake a GBA game from the same series for the PS2. Then when said team got back to making their PS2 game, that console was no longer viable given the time they would finish making it. With no experience with HD consoles (something the main Tokyo KH team had problems with the PS3), the PSP was the only logical hardware (mini PS2) that could handle such a game, especially with its importance as the next numbered title after KH2. Had to clarify since you brought up a title that wasn't originally a PSP game in regards to SE betting big on the PSP as an example.

The 3rd Birthday and Type-0 were also mobile games before eventually being planned on PSP---a sign that SQEX didn't really bet bigly on PSP to begin with.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't going to sell 5M.

So what do you think it has sold so far on the Switch digitally, knowing Splatoon 2 digital sales are >300K in Japan.
Unlike the West Minecraft remains extremely relevant in Japan, it continues to generate millions of views each week on Youtube and Nico each month. Personally I expect Minecraft to be the one of the best performing 3rd party game this Obon. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses 200K and overall to be close to 400K physical before the start of the last quarter of the year, where sales will really begin to explode. If it hits 1M physical by the end of 2018 with digital it should be around >2M. This would be a fantastic result considering that Switch's current audience is currently made up of predominately older gamers - once Pokemon launches there would be a new influx of Minecraft's core audience, I anticipate the game would only gain more traction overtime as the Switch becomes more affordable in the upcoming years.

Is there a specific reasons you think younger audiences will stop being interested in Minecraft in the upcoming years? It's finally on a Nintendo handheld something which hadn't happened previously - Switch leverages larger worlds, local multiplayer on the go and the new update. Nintendo has pushed the game in Japan extremely strongly since it launched digitally last May. 9 out of 20 of their most viewed videos on YouTube are part of their Minecraft Series, the top viewed video is the first episode with 6.3M views - that's nearly 1M more than the Switch reveal video which is the second most viewed video on the channel. It was running during ads for the Switch throughout last year, it continues to be featured on the Switch news feed in different articles; it continues to dominate the eShop chart which gives it additional visibility.

Whenever we hear anecdotal information about which games younger kids gravitate towards in Japan, Minecraft continues to dominate the conversation - as far as I know Vinnk hasn't really said that Minecraft is loosing stream. The last time he commented on his thoughts was back in November:

Minecraft is still huge among kids here. Those I have talked to who have PS4s pretty much all have Minecraft. Oddly enough many Switch owning kids I talked to did not know they can play Minecraft on the Switch. It strikes me as odd since it is a fairly high-profile game. Then again I don't see special download cards for this game in my area (did they make them at all?) and perhaps the younger kids don't check the eShop to see it ranked near the top. It is clear due to it's ranking that many people are buying it, but I think there is a lot of untapped market for when a physical version is eventually released.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...4-2017-oct-30-nov-05.4746/page-24#post-854786

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Only for MyNintendoStore means that every new quarter, Nintendo shipments for Japan and Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki difference will be bigger and bigger, since any of them track this store.
I really don't think there'll be much of a difference to be honest*, especially as shortages are pretty much over now so times when shipments = sales are gone. This seems to be a rather limited thing, reminds me of them selling second GamePad for the Wii U.

* I mean, compared to previous Nintendo consoles, not just the Switch.

Shinjuku station ad for Dark Souls Remastered:

010pqubp.jpg

http://www.4gamer.net/games/406/G040679/20180523038/

Last edited:

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I really don't think there'll be much of a difference to be honest*, especially as shortages are pretty much over now so times when shipments = sales are gone. This seems to be a rather limited thing, reminds me of them selling second GamePad for the Wii U.

* I mean, compared to previous Nintendo consoles, not just the Switch.

Shinjuku station ad for Dark Souls Remastered:

010pqubp.jpg

http://www.4gamer.net/games/406/G040679/20180523038/

The late Switch version of Dark Souls surely will receive the same marketing push later this year...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder I'd the reason Nintendo isnt releasing the dockless switch in stores is because the margins are even more razor with the 5000 yen difference. The My Nintendo store would allow them to retain every yen possible save for S&H

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Yup. The only reason they don't pull the plug completely is because everyone else would go OMGWTFBBQ and realize Capcom leadership is completely off their rocker.

Nah, I think Nintendo should just give Capcom the cold shoulder and let them twist in the wind. Then purchase the remains when Capcom inevitably files for bankruptcy.

What even is this insanity...

Why do people persist to think Capcom is out to get Nintendo?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
So what do you think it has sold so far on the Switch digitally, knowing Splatoon 2 digital sales are >300K in Japan.
Unlike the West Minecraft remains extremely relevant in Japan, it continues to generate millions of views each week on Youtube and Nico each month. Personally I expect Minecraft to be the one of the best performing 3rd party game this Obon. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses 200K and overall to be close to 400K physical before the start of the last quarter of the year, where sales will really begin to explode. If it hits 1M physical by the end of 2018 with digital it should be around >2M. This would be a fantastic result considering that Switch's current audience is currently made up of predominately older gamers - once Pokemon launches there would be a new influx of Minecraft's core audience, I anticipate the game would only gain more traction overtime as the Switch becomes more affordable in the upcoming years.

Is there a specific reasons you think younger audiences will stop being interested in Minecraft in the upcoming years? It's finally on a Nintendo handheld something which hadn't happened previously - Switch leverages larger worlds, local multiplayer on the go and the new update. Nintendo has pushed the game in Japan extremely strongly since it launched digitally last May. 9 out of 20 of their most viewed videos on YouTube are part of their Minecraft Series, the top viewed video is the first episode with 6.3M views - that's nearly 1M more than the Switch reveal video which is the second most viewed video on the channel. It was running during ads for the Switch throughout last year, it continues to be featured on the Switch news feed in different articles; it continues to dominate the eShop chart which gives it additional visibility.

Whenever we hear anecdotal information about which games younger kids gravitate towards in Japan, Minecraft continues to dominate the conversation - as far as I know Vinnk hasn't really said that Minecraft is loosing stream. The last time he commented on his thoughts was back in November:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/me...4-2017-oct-30-nov-05.4746/page-24#post-854786

We don't have access to accurate digital numbers so I'm not going to speculate. It could be anywhere from 100k to 500k.

If Minecraft was released from the start physical... nah not even then. I don't think you appreciate how ridiculous 5M is, or the fact that it has been released on like 5 platforms already.

It would have to have significantly better legs than Splatoon 2 has to this point to make up for any deficit that it would get in that comparison from the first few weeks of sale.

YouTube views feels like a shaky way at best to measure potential sales.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017

You should check your blood pressure, all that sodium can't be good for you.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What even is this insanity...

Why do people persist to think Capcom is out to get Nintendo?

Common sense ? Its pretty that in this cycle things would be less stressful for Capcom if Switch would have just bombed and they could focus on PS4/XBO/PC where most of their resources where already headed anyway. Switch bombing could have resulted in even the most hardcore Nintendo/portable fans to consider a jump to a console like PS4 for MHW. Switch being successful means that there will be a portion of the market who will just wait for Capcom to deliver a new MH portable game on Switch instead of going for MHW asap.

SFV/Sony,RE7VR/Sony, MHW/Sony, DMCV/Sony....its obv. who is the mayor stake holder for Capcoms business nowdays. Companies like Capcom arent able to adapt quickly so whenever they make their choice they usually wanna ride it out without interference.

So, detective Pikachu is a Flop or a sucess?
You realize that these arent the only two options when talking about a games performance ?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah no it's not common sense to say that a video game developper wish for a video game platform to bomb

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
yeah no it's not common sense to say that a video game developper wish for a video game platform to bomb
You think Squaresoft during the 90s was giving to shits about the n64 or Nintendo bombing ?
Of course not every Capcom employee is wishing for Nintendos or Switch downfall...but its. obv. that they didnt give a shit and planned for the system to be a massive failure.

Its common sense based on how Capcom has reacted to the success of the system since its launch late year...you really think they dropped a full price USF2 port on the system with the goal to make the system look attractive for the market/audience ? Laughing at the mere suggestion of bringing Marvel to the Switch ? Its obv. what was happening....numbers proved them wrong and they were forced to reconsider.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yes, but all of that doesn't mean that they're actively hoping that the console bomb, no video game developper wish for one of their potential source of revenue to disappear that's stupid

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yes, but all of that doesn't mean that they're actively hoping that the console bomb, no video game developper wish for one of their potential source of revenue to disappear that's stupid
Thats a given...i dont see why anyone would take the statement this literally lol.

Fact is the system wasnt really seen as one of their potential income sources. They werent even willing to greenlight the most barebones and low effort ports...USF2 only happened because they didnt wanna mess up the Nintendo relationship. They received dev-kits relatively early and had to have something in store just they had for Vita....but thats it.

Capcom could have been there with with a couple games in the first months...but it wasnt in their interest to push a system that wasnt going to get all their big games.

People forget that these publishers are run by regular people and will have agendas when it comes to publishing or supporting systems. The big ones like Bamco or SE can afford to play both/multiple sides. With smaller ones like Capcom its more obv. what systems they are banking and pushing. Capcom is the prime example for this behavior.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Thats a given...i dont see why anyone would take the statement this literally lol.

Fact is the system wasnt really seen as one of their potential income sources. They werent even willing to greenlight the most barebones and low effort ports...USF2 only happened because they didnt wanna mess up the Nintendo relationship. They received dev-kits relatively early and had to have something in store just they had for Vita....but thats it.

Capcom could have been there with with a couple games in the first months...but it wasnt in their interest to push a system that wasnt going to get all their big games.

People forget that these publishers are run by regular people and will have agendas when it comes to publishing or supporting systems. The big ones like Bamco or SE can afford to play both/multiple sides. With smaller ones like Capcom its more obv. what systems they are banking and pushing. Capcom is the prime example for this behavior.
Yeah, Capcom definitely weren't doing the Square Enix PS4 thing where they came out and said they are pushing PS4 megaton games to save the Japanese market. On the other hand, nor were Square Enix for Switch, or any of the western publishers not called Bethesda, so Capom aren't the only ones. They said they want to push for worldwide sales, citing that the Japanese market is less than 10% of the worldwide market, but that definitely doesn't include any estimate of what the Switch will push in Japan, which shows you that Switch didn't (and maybe even doesn't) feature in their plans.