• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna take a wild guess and say summer. EDF games were released during summer in the previous years.
That sounds possible. Then maybe a portable EDF for Switch in 2019.

You wrote you knew "for a fact" something without bringing any fact. I asked to back up your statement and you couldn't. Perfectly fine, just admit you currently don't have any data to back up a statement about data.
I agree with this, but why was it seemingly a problem when i asked you what people predicted for Dissidia NT early on? :\ After som discussion, in the end it lead to me being accused for maybe having an truth-avoiding behavior and that my question might imply a specific attitude, after i told you i wasnt arguing against your point. I was asking out of curiousity to see what people might have expected before and to see if the statement could be backed up. It would be nice to get a reply on this because i felt that the discussion ended on a bad note, and i dont want that to happen. I reached out to you earlier in the previous Media Create thread on this, but i didnt see a respond to that. I'm not trying to criticize you here, i just i hate to fight with people, so i just want to make sure that all is good, so any reply would be good :)

I'm never going to look up Comg! numbers myself so seeing them posted here in fancy chart form is good with me. We can just like, both enjoy the graphics and keep in mind limitations. You dont have to be all in to enjoy it or see value. Shrug
I agree. If daily charts for maybe 7-10 games were posted every day, maybe it could be too much, but a few game now and then doesnt disturb anything in the thread, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't surprise me cause DQB was an actual new game, spinoff or nor and the 3DS games were remakes

I think they killed their momentum in the West with the MMO that was never gonna release here. Was it ultimately worth it? I know it's still going today but how popular is it?

I think DQ X was a mistake. Just when DQ finally picked up some steam in the west, they ruined everything with an MMO.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think DQXI has a chance to do well on the West. The PS4 and the Switch (and the 3DS) are platforms with a true JRPG culture and there are not a lot of JRPG relasing next year of the quality of DQXI.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think DQXI has a chance to do well on the West. The PS4 and the Switch (and the 3DS) are platforms with a true JRPG culture and there are not a lot of JRPG relasing next year of the quality of DQXI.
There aren't a lot of JRPG of the quality of DQXI in any year but I dunno, people just don't get it. They just don't get how good Dragon Quest is.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. If daily charts for maybe 7-10 games were posted every day, maybe it could be too much, but a few game now and then doesnt disturb anything in the thread, in my opinion.

Its a data thread too. I dont see how more data would even be bad. This is like the most benign thing ever. Sometimes it feels like we bicker about stuff just to bicker.

The last dragon quest game with great marketing (DQ9) sold great. We see JRPGs post >200k openings in the US with marketing if they are good. Honestly the only thing that should hold back DQ11 from 1m+ on potentially 3 systems is if SE does a piss poor job marketing it. (Which is super possible)

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Square can get DQ11 to run on the Switch, they'll be able to get KH3 to run on it also as both run on UE4.

KH3 would be a really good fit for the witch.

Then again, KH3 seems more graphically demanding.

And framerate problems would probably be fine on DQ11 Switch whereas they would be very not fine for KH3.

You'd think KH3 has such a good potential (keyword, so not guaranteed) to sell on switch they'd get the game out in any state, even if it's a pos. They're not averse to releasing unfinished or poorly optimiZed things heh. Can't imagine a world in which a switch version doesnt blow past a XB1 version even with the install bases.

That being said, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm doubtful at best.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think DQ can do a million in the west. Maybe more by being multiplatform (if it is such).

But...DQ should be doing more than that people...Idk what is wrong with us.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past selling poorly in the US was so disappointing. The translation was not only fixed but top notch now, it was one of the best looking games on the 3DS, it reviewed well, it came out during a time where interest in the 3DS was renewed, and Nintendo put a decent amount of effort into marketing it.

Over one million should absolutely be possible for Dragon Quest XI if it's on both PS4 and Switch though.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
DQXI will sell fine overseas but it won't break out as many might have thought at the beginning and for sure it will not able to cover the loss in domestic sales. DQ on PS4 didn't have high numbers as far as we know, even if the franchise only had spin-offs. This doesn't bode well for the franchise as a whole.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
To look at Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Sales so far:
280k US(leaked physical by John Harker)
172k Japan(Media Create)
20k UK(GFK)
15k Spain(Hobby Consoles)
487k physical for these four regions without a few major regions or digital.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I think V and VI are the only installments that didn't receive a timely Western release?
DQ 1-4 and 7 were called Dragon Warrior so maybe that's where his confusion comes from? V was never brought over because Enix promised VI instead saying that V was more of a famicom game.

Unforunately by the time VI came out in Japan the NA market wasn't as favorable to JRPGs and Enix droped the project (same for Squaresoft with Secret of Mana 2) because the translation, while not as massive as VII's would have been no small task anyway.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Code:
Days Remaining     FFXV          DQ XI          MH:XX (3DS)      MH:W
07              416 (+7)        685 (+25)       1104 (+22)      1348 (+22)
06              420 (+4)        708 (+23)       1145 (+41)
05              431 (+11)       735 (+27)       1172 (+27)
04              436 (+5)        754 (+19)       1215 (+43)
03              454 (+18)       773 (+19)       1225 (+10)
02              464 (+10)       778 (+5)        1261 (+34)
01              470 (+8)        800 (+22)       1305 (+44)
FW Sales(MC)   690.471          950.315          848.467
HW Sales       118.350           93.356           42.279
Multiplier      1.4              1.18              0.65

Final week. We should be getting the YSO prediction soon.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
But yeah, imagine if DQV and VI had been experienced by the small but enthusiast SNES JRPG market. I think there'd have been more appreciation for DQVII in the US that way, even if it missed all the notes that made PS FF bigger than SNES FF.

DQVIII and IX both did okay anyway. I think VIII reached out to the west in its localization a lot as well as in its fundamentals, but IX appealed on its own terms as well, judging by the number of XI is the first DQ since VIII people on forums such as this.

In any case, they cut off the momentum from these games with DQX being Japan-only.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
So where is DQXI for Switch? We haven't heard anything since SE announced they where making a Switch version last year

Scum

Oct 25, 2017
Well then.......

Looks like you have something to look forward to. (See quoted tweet above)
MV9dV9L.png

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, DQ11 Switch will most likely coincide with the western release.
SE probably isn't in any hurry since they already had good sales from PS4 and 3DS, and Nintendo probably wants a tentpole third party Switch title for FY2018.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, DQ11 Switch will most likely coincide with the western release.
SE probably isn't in any hurry since they already had good sales from PS4 and 3DS, and Nintendo probably wants a tentpole third party Switch title for FY2018.

Yeah, this. It didn't really make sense to talk about the Switch version while they were trying to sell the PS4 and 3DS versions. But now they've sold all they're going to sell, so SE can talk about it whenever they want. If anything, the Japanese version might release a few months before the western release, but I think they'll both be shown off in the February Direct.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, no word about either DQXI Switch or DQXI west is a pretty good indication they're being worked on together. Best case scenario: summer/fall 2018 launch, global Switch release, western PS4 release, global Steam port, added voice acting, orchestrated soundtrack, 3DS version from Nintendo (no voice/midi), DQ1-3 digital on all 4.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
With all the talk about DQ in the west, how many westerners in this thread will buy it when it comes out?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they've improved their hologram tech for the new concert.
Also crazy that Nintendo made virtual idols from a Wii U game popular enough to make into holograms in the first place.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
With all the talk about DQ in the west, how many westerners in this thread will buy it when it comes out?
It depends on how it releases

Right now I'm double dipping PS4/3DS. But if the Switch version is close enough to the PS4 one and releases at the same time (and has a Nintendo localisation rather than a Sony or Square Enix one) I will either go Switch/3DS or Switch only if the 3DS version stays in Japan

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
For me it is Switch>PS4, provided they are both UE4, release at the same time, and the Switch port is good enough for me.

3DS is a separate issue, as I see it. I hope it comes over. I might buy it over the other versions, might buy it alongside.

Could end up getting it on PS4, Switch, and/or 3DS as it stands.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will definitely buy Dragon Quest on PS4. It and NNK 2 make for a good couple of JRPGs on that platform this year, I'm not really into Kingdom Hearts so I'll be skipping that one.

Those 2 will (hopefully) be great though.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
What are your guys' predictions for first week sales for the following?
I know just new thread so why not.
My Guesses next to it
Kirby Star Allies: 300k
Bayonetta 1 and 2 Switch: 40k
Dark Souls Remastered: 75k
Mario Tennis Aces: 150k
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze Switch: 100k
Hyrule Warriors DE: 60k

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think DQ X was a mistake. Just when DQ finally picked up some steam in the west, they ruined everything with an MMO.
You take that back, DQX has one of the best stories and some of the best quests in the series. If DQ is not popular in the west that is on the people with poor taste not buying the games, not on the quality, Nintendo's advertising, nor a slight gap between releases.

People didn't buy 7 not because it was an old game they had already played nor because it came out 'late' but because they don't like the gameplay and what the story offered.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
You take that back, DQX has one of the best stories and some of the best quests in the series. If DQ is not popular in the west that is on the people with poor taste not buying the games, not on the quality, Nintendo's advertising, nor a slight gap between releases.

People didn't buy 7 not because it was an old game they had already played nor because it came out 'late' but because they don't like the gameplay and what the story offered.

Come on now, such argument is so simplistic and quite offensive too.

Having a good product isn't enough to become succesful on a new market. A lot of good products failed for a lot of various reasons. Final Fantasy, Persona, Fire Emblem all waited several entries before breaking through in the West. Those things need time and a continued support.

The last mainline entry in the Dragon Quest franchise that hit the West was DQIX in 2009. The change in platform before releases doesn't help to cultivate a dedicated audience too. Some games are releasing on PS home console systems and other on Nintendo portable systems. There is no constitency. I think the Switch could bridge the gap between these two worlds and help DQ to prosper on the platform, we'll see.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually had hard time seeing DQ11 doing better vs Octopath lol. DQ simply is a much undesireable product in the west lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.