• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fe0

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls 3 has, last news i found in April/May 2016, topped 3 million worldwide and not just overseas. You may show me your source for your numbers. MonHun won't come close in the west alone anytime soon.

Here are some actual shipments figures from Bandai Namco.

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/file/view/4937?entry_id=4521
Worldwide Shipments as of June 2015
Dark Souls Series: 8.0M
Breakdown by Territory (Japan Left / Overseas Right)
l_55915519008612vqp7.jpg

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/file/view/5312?entry_id=4846
Worldwide Shipments as of May 2016
Dark Souls 3: 3.0M
Dark Souls Series: 13.0M

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/library/pdf/stockholder/2017_June_News.pdf
Worldwide Shipments as of March 2017
Dark Souls 3: 4.8M

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/file/view/4937?entry_id=4521
l_55915519008612vqp7.jpg

http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/cgi-bin/releases/index.cgi/file/view/5312?entry_id=4846

Now this is what i call solid numbers and sources, thanks.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
The PC version of Dark Souls 3 is at 2.4 million, with only 2.68% of that coming from Japan, so I think we can pretty safely say at least 3 million of that would be overseas sales as well.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Switch is the hot platform right now. A portable modern DQXI is going to be huge.
I disagree (we're talking Japan, right?). Most people who wanted a portable version already got one. Most people who wanted a version with better graphics already got one. The Switch version is obviously going to sell, probably reasonably well, but given what and who it already sold to, I don't see it being huge in Japan.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder what they are going to try and do with DQXI Switch

My guess is that it wouldn't be much more than a port of the PS4 version on Switch and sell modestly for the franchise.

But will it be anything more, is a question, as is, if it is, exactly how much more. What are their objectives putting it on Switch? What sort of sales are they looking for? What are they going to do to make those happen?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
DQXI Switch will probably add voice work and reorchestrated audio. Maybe there'll be some gameplay content additions too. This is how they'll try to resell it.

Timing also seems right for overseas and Switch versions being done together. It's rumored to show up in a Feb direct with Yoshi.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
That would make me so happy!!!! I want a release date. Every day is a day of 2018 (the only release window we have) where DQ failed to show up :(.

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI Switch will probably add voice work and reorchestrated audio. Maybe there'll be some gameplay content additions too. This is how they'll try to resell it.

Timing also seems right for overseas and Switch versions being done together. It's rumored to show up in a Feb direct with Yoshi.
Heard people being upset over the music being low quality. Doubt they'd add in VA, tho. Feels like it would add a lot of work for the localization...though that is taking a long time. Hope it's to coincide with the Switch release WW

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Heard people being upset over the music being low quality. Doubt they'd add in VA, tho. Feels like it would add a lot of work for the localization...though that is taking a long time. Hope it's to coincide with the Switch release WW
VA is pretty likely imo.

Are you asking me or sfortunato, who said it will be huge? My definition of huge for DQ XI on Switch in Japan would be 1 million or over
I'd agree 1m Japan only isn't likely. I do think it could sell better than some expect though.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I remain skeptical that MHW will attract any sizable number of players in the west, and I don't think it wlll make up for their lost Japanese audience. This is all a moneyhat play by Sony to bolster their sales and Capcom being desperate enough to go along. When the dust settles, I think this will all end up leaving Capcom and the MH franchise in a weaker position.

If they release a new game on a hot new portable then not much was lost. Only gained. It would also be a waste to completely ignore the massive ps4 userbase.

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

l_55915519008612vqp7.jpg

well-there-it-is-jeff-goldblum-jurassic-park.gif

The PC version of Dark Souls 3 is at 2.4 million, with only 2.68% of that coming from Japan, so I think we can pretty safely say at least 3 million of that would be overseas sales as well.

Don't you know, apparently we can't make educated guesses and predictions, even though there is no reason not to acknowledge such trends.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
well-there-it-is-jeff-goldblum-jurassic-park.gif

Don't you know, apparently we can't make educated guesses and predictions, even though there is no reason not to acknowledge such trends.
You were asked for sources and didn't provide any. You instead went in to lead the poster and belittle him.

You're prety much the last person who should comment on this since someone had to step up and provide sources where you couldn't be bothered.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gave both DS 1 and 2 selling 8.5 million and a slightly outdated Steamspy number. A simple google search could of easily verified that. Instead there was a pointless tangent that led to the same place. That 4.8 million figure is new to me though so thanks to fe0.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they should bother: ideally you don't sacrifice one audience for the other but rather the hypothetical overseas expansion of MH:W is purely additive.

If it is/were their plan to abandon the Japanese market when it has bought so much MH in recent history, it is/was a bad plan, regardless of how MH:W performs.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
hey,at least waiting a few hours for numbers is far better than being slapped with a "You don't need explicit data when the trends are so clear" to the face and being spinned left and right to nowhere

Heh, tell me about it. ^^

You were asked for sources and didn't provide any. You instead went in to lead the poster and belittle him.

You're prety much the last person who should comment on this since someone had to step up and provide sources where you couldn't be bothered.

Thank you.

I gave both DS 1 and 2 selling 8.5 million and a slightly outdated Steamspy number. A simple google search could of easily verified that. Instead there was a pointless tangent that led to the same place. That 4.8 million figure is new to me though so thanks to fe0.

So, why didn't you do that simple Google Search, cause you know, the one who provided numbers should be able to back them up if asked. You don't think?
Although I would've been impressed if Google had found some very specific text passages in PDF files.

Anyway, the topic is done for me, not that any stance between us will change.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I think I'm leaning on MHW getting ~950K the first week, and ending up somewhere in 1.2-1.3M by the end of it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree, but I was referring more to the "MHW is the future of the franchise and Capcom shouldn't bother putting it on the Switch" crowd.

The problem IMO is that said userbase isn't in Japan, where the MH fans are.

Yes. I disagree with that too.
The idea that because MHW exists on PS4 a good portable entry wouldn't do well is nonsense and not supported by available evidence.

I think both trying to expand franchise in west using massive ps4 userbase plus taking advantage of MH portable appeal is the best strategy.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Any chance Nintendo has a deal with SE for DQXI to be Switch exclusive in the West?
I find it odd they confirmed localization but didn't mention a single platform and that was months ago too

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
It's unlikely but not impossible.

Right. Crazier things have happened, and Nintendo hasn't broken their streak of publishing DQ games in the west yet (on their systems, and mainline games period) since starting with DQ9 on DS. Hell they're even publishing Builders on Switch.

Not to mention Nintendo could if they wanted to.

But obviously, it's not likely.

Also worth noting that it seems every SE game on Switch that's gotten a major release at retail has been published by Nintendo in the west, with the exception being Lost Sphear, but only because that's a very limited release that's supposed to be exclusive to SE's online store.

halvvapoori

Oct 25, 2017
Amsterdam
Sony rehosted the localisation announcement on their YouTube channel, so unless things have changed since then, I doubt DQXI will be Switch/Nintendo exclusive in the west.
A marketing deal however? Who knows

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say its pretty much impossible. Makes zero logical sense. Switch is more likely to not be localized than PS4 (not that I think a Switch localization is unlikely)
Plans change. I do think it's fishy that the promised localization news never happened last year, Nintendo securing a regional exclusive isn't really an impossibility. I just think it's pretty unlikely.

Sony rehosted the localisation announcement on their YouTube channel, so unless things have changed since then, I doubt DQXI will be Switch/Nintendo exclusive in the west.
A marketing deal however? Who knows
Rehosted by accident apparently and immediately took down. A localization announcement that also promised more news by the end of 2017 that never came.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance Nintendo has a deal with SE for DQXI to be Switch exclusive in the West?
I find it odd they confirmed localization but didn't mention a single platform and that was months ago too

In this scenario, Square Enix would be squandering another good opportunity to grow the series in the West, and Nintendo would be spending a lot of money for something that hasn't shown great sales in the West. It doesn't make a lot of sense for either party.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo stepping in so that there is a simultaneous release at west is the likely scenario right now.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Also worth noting that it seems every SE game on Switch that's gotten a major release at retail has been published by Nintendo in the west, with the exception being Lost Sphear, but only because that's a very limited release that's supposed to be exclusive to SE's online store.
Nintendo's also publishing DQHI&II in the west this year if retailer leaks are to be believed. I wouldn't be surprised if they also handled the Switch and possibly even 3DS versions of DQXI too.

What they NEED to pick up is SD Collection though. :(

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Chris, I wanted to know, how do you interprate DQXI's lack of legs ?

Is it due to the state of the platforms it released on ? Or is it due to people waiting for the Switch version ?

Thank you very much.
3DS is fading away fast, PS4 has history with very frontloaded sales trends and Switch version is missing.

If it came out 1 year earlier things would be different with 3DS opening and legs.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's more likely that the Switch version releases in Japan after the PS4 version has released in the west, especially when Nintendo is even willing to publish late ports for Square Enix.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo stepping in so that there is a simultaneous release at west is the likely scenario right now.

Do you think they would actually get DQXI as an exclusive? What else would happen if they stepped in, a marketing deal for the Switch (and 3DS?) versions while the PS4 version also gets released in the west? Nintendo almost never just publishes their version or does marketing for their version of a multiplat like that. One RARE exception was Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, but that was exclusive until it came out on PS3 and 360 not that long after. It was weird.

Speaking of current multiplats of course, not late specific ports like DQ Builders and such. :P

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Let's talk about D and K.
Let's talk about Kir and By

What are we expecting for FighterZ anyway? Seems like it's gotten no talk.
XV2 did some less than 200k on pS4 was it? Do the more traditional dbz fighters do more generally? I know Budokai 3 did almost a million iirc but that was a different time.

Oct 26, 2017
Let's talk about D and K.
Let's talk about Kir and By

What are we expecting for FighterZ anyway? Seems like it's gotten no talk.
XV2 did some less than 200k on pS4 was it? Do the more traditional dbz fighters do more generally? I know Budokai 3 did almost a million iirc but that was a different time.

XV2 PS4 was only like at most 120k I thought? Hell I think the Switch version outdid it in one of the trackers (Dengeki?).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think they would actually get DQXI as an exclusive? What else would happen if they stepped in, a marketing deal for the Switch (and 3DS?) versions while the PS4 version also gets released in the west? Nintendo almost never just publishes their version or does marketing for their version of a multiplat like that. One RARE exception was Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, but that was exclusive until it came out on PS3 and 360 not that long after. It was weird.

Speaking of current multiplats of course, not late specific ports like DQ Builders and such. :P

I think Chris is saying the opposite. Nintendo's involvement is the only reason it won't be PS4 only in the west.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I think Chris is saying the opposite. Nintendo's involvement is the only reason it won't be PS4 only in the west.
hypothetically, if all versions released simultaneously in the west, what would be the highes sku.

PS4 has recent DQ spinoffs, and performance.
3DS has recent DQ remakes,
Switch has the hot factor you could say

3ds might be too old at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.