• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
You can expect good holds for Switch software when numbers are posted tomorrow. Monday helped.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendos 3DS games had been often suited to be played in short (bus/train) sessions and level design was made accordingly. Are there even some traditional Nintendo handheld games on Switch besides Pokemon?

Do you mean published by Nintendo themselves? Sushi Striker, I guess? Kirby's last two mainline titles also had been handheld games, although it often jumped around between consoles and handhelds in spite of the series starting as a handheld game. Some games although not obviously portable titles by concept, like Fire Emblem Warriors and the Treasure Trackers port, had simultaneous 3ds and Switch releases too.

I don't see what other 3DS title could come to Switch last year without having to rebuilt it from the start besides Captain Toad and Sushi Striker. If it was easy they would have done it.

WarioWare Gold? The art style likely could get away with remaining simple considering previous console entries.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Do you mean published by Nintendo themselves? Sushi Striker, I guess? Kirby's last two mainline titles also had been handheld games, although it often jumped around between consoles and handhelds in spite of the series starting as a handheld game. Some games although not obviously portable titles by concept, like Fire Emblem Warriors and the Treasure Trackers port, had simultaneous 3ds and Switch releases too.

WarioWare Gold? The art style likely could get away with remaining simple considering previous console entries.
You would have to redo many microgames designed for micro, stylus or two screens.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Luigi's Mansion in HD could have been an easy up port and sold at like 4000yen. I bet it would have been easier than the 3DS down-port and would have better paved the way for LM3 which is Switch exclusive.

Better yet, a full-priced Switch collection of LM1 and 2. Then the people who skipped the GC and 3DS versions could jump right in.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo was all in with the switch since day 1, the only reason they kept 3DS on life support is because they underestimated how fast switch would rise, and just in case the switch succeeds as a console but fails as a handheld then they still have their main handheld.

Im sure Nintendo was going to follow up the 3DS with some sorta successor via the switch brand somehow if that was the case.

With switch success they will most likely drop the 3DS brand altogether, switch is just a more modern brand than the 3DS with no brand confusion whatsoever.

These past two years have only been the launch window tbh, 2019 will be when Nintendo unleashes their software, expect big software all through the year, unlike the underwhelming schedule last year. This is also the year when Nintendo devs have finally migrated to the one software platform strategy laid out by Iwata, expect even more great, creative games from new synergy created within this new environment.

I always hoped Nintendo would be competitive with third parties again, that time has begun with the switch, third parties cant just ignore it completely like they have previous gens, they will have to support Nintendo with watever that is reasonably achievable on the switch.

No doubt this will be Nintendos biggest hardware, software and revenue year in a long, long time.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah so it's unreasonable to blame 3rd parties for making the same mistake when Nintendo themselves were in the same boat.

Anyway can't wait for numbers today.
Nintendo not expecting to sell as fast as they did but still saying before launch they wanted Wii-like profit is a much different scenario than "we don't expect anything, let's not start development yet". Like if it was the same thing, Nintendo wouldn't be releasing at least 7 titles a year on their platform.

That's like saying that not expecting a concert hall to be at full capacity is the same thing as not expecting anyone to be there at all.

It is not unreasonable to blame Japanese 3rd parties for not betting on the Switch, it cost them potential revenue and a foothold on a young console they otherwise would have gotten by taking the time to hastily get back on track.

Last edited:

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Don't know what kind of mental gymnastics someone has to do, to look at Nintendos software sales on Switch, seeing that they published a game almost every month, but to come to the conclusion that they didn't bet on the system. Maybe the same that's needed to spin PS4s results in Japan.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah so it's unreasonable to blame 3rd parties for making the same mistake when Nintendo themselves were in the same boat.

Nintendo weren't caught off guard by the Switch in that they didn't project it to be successful lol. They out all their major franchises and development resources on it. They projected 10m.

Third parties are entirely to blame. Letting them of the hook on this is stupid. Its year 2 and they barely have their shit together now.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Luigi's Mansion in HD could have been an easy up port and sold at like 4000yen. I bet it would have been easier than the 3DS down-port and would have better paved the way for LM3 which is Switch exclusive.

Better yet, a full-priced Switch collection of LM1 and 2. Then the people who skipped the GC and 3DS versions could jump right in.
Don't think we should rule that switch collection out, tbh. Can see it happening.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Not because Luigi's Mansion reuses the Luigi's Mansion 2 engine, which they could not have done for a project for Switch

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
I always hoped Nintendo would be competitive with third parties again, that time has begun with the switch, third parties cant just ignore it completely like they have previous gens, they will have to support Nintendo with watever that is reasonably achievable on the switch.

No doubt this will be Nintendos biggest hardware, software and revenue year in a long, long time.

NDS saw strong 3rd Party support, but I know what you mean. Less systems, more streamlined engines, tools and up to a certain extent also hardware, are factors in Switchs favour, compared to Wii and 3DS. That its competition right now is in its decline phase right now is another important difference, to when Wii had to face DS,PSP,PS3 and when 3DS was up against the PS family ecosystem.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
an interesting take on Silent Hill 2 performance from Masahiro Ito:

I agree with the internet people. SH2 made no sense in the fiction established in SH1.

The weirdness in Silent Hill was nothing to do with the town, it was very specifically
Alessa's demon powered nightmare
. SH2 was a well made game with the first 'top quality' graphics on PS2, and with a well done story, but was a truly terrible sequel which trivialised the central conceit of the original and just makes it a generic horror 'magic town' (with all sorts or z-grade horror 'reasons' added like an indian burial ground, lame). I much prefer the original's mysterious Jacob's Ladder type thing.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

It was a joke.
Nintendo released great high profile games in the first year (expecting maybe third parties for second year).
The thing just sold more than what they expected, 10m would already have been healthy for them.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
RE2 and KH3 release on the same date in Japan? I wonder if this can make the PS4 overtake the Switch in hardware sales for a couple of weeks.
I don't expect the bump to be too high, 60k could be doable for PS4, though. That might put them over Switch for 1 week, but then the week after it'll be back below it. At least, those are my predictions.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
> release Zelda and Mario Year 1
> "Nintendo didn't have faith in the switch

Come on now

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
> release Zelda and Mario Year 1
> "Nintendo didn't have faith in the switch

Come on now
Considering they were developing a new gen pokémon game for it already, I always find the notion that Nintendo was holding back from transitioning their handheld line towards the Switch rather shaky (along with Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing). There's no good indication for me that they were holding back on Switch, either as a console or a handheld. They were fully on board, and probably kept the 3DS splashing about in the eventuality that Switch would bomb. Plan always seems to have been to go with one combined system.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Conjecture: I have a feeling the people interested in these games might already own a PS4. KH fans probably bought one for FFXV. These days, RE2 would probably appeal to more of a "hardcore" gamer base that, again, might be more likely to own a PS4.

That being said, hopefully both games pictured here can outperform expectations, even if by a little bit. If RE2 can't bring numbers back to the series, I'd imagine nothing can (other than a multiplat).

Last edited:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wow, what a performance by AC7! 4th best Ace Combat debut in recorded history according to GameDataLibrary.

Switch hold is strong, PS4 sales are poor. MHW saw a strong build-up to its launch, KH3/RE2 doesn't look to be having that.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
RE2 and KH3 release on the same date in Japan? I wonder if this can make the PS4 overtake the Switch in hardware sales for a couple of weeks.
PS4 is basically dead in Japan at its current price point, so I doubt it'll outsell the Switch even the week RE2 and KH3 drop. There's also the fact that fans of those series most likely already own the system, so I personally don't expect any big numbers.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder where both Switch and PS4 will settle in a few weeks; presumably there will be some fluctuation for PS4 over the next couple (and if there's not, that's very distressing), while I'd expect Switch to find a comfortable level, but as for *when*, really not sure.

My gut's saying something like 55k Switch, 12k PS4 when we've settled after Christmas/RE2/KH3. Is it concievable that Sony would consider a formal price drop in time for Golden Week?

Oct 25, 2017
??? What? Are you trying to imply that I am suggesting a title not be released on the Switch or any other platform?

My post is meant to imply that I don't expect much of a PS4 sales bump for these titles.
yeah, sorry. Misunderstood, lol.

Still think the hardware will get a bump, if a small one for awhile.
As for the temporary price drop, I think that'll have a more positive effect on the sales of those games than those games will have on the sale of hardware, if that makes sense. AC7 is probably an example.

Feels like people are going to underestimate the sale of these games like they did at this same time last year and then there'll be shock for weeks when we see it again.

Last edited: