• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spot the odd one out.
the power of eyebrows

1489375529155.png

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Based on the PS4 version selling more than 50% more than the Switch version in its first week. The Switch version would have to have some insane legs to come out on top.

It seems the Switch one was supply constrained, and if it's fixed by the time KH3 releases I think we could see a similar scenario to DQB2.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
100k+ the first, 50k- the second.

More specifically (Famitsu, via GameDataLibrary)

[WII] Shape Boxing: Enjoy the Diet on Wii! - 9.218 / 105.417 (Rocket Company) 30/10/2008
[WII] Shape Boxing 2: Enjoy the Diet on Wii! - ? / 41.674 (Rocket Company) 16/12/2010

Now I remember reading how FB was the "sequel" / "reboot" of the two Shape Boxing games, I really forgot about that.

Then, it seems being very leggy is part of the franchise's legacy somehow, even if Fitness Boxing might be even more surprising than the others (in terms of FW multiplier at least).

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Hardware sales in 2019 will be horrible again.
Ps4 down. 3DS further down. Vita finally dead.
I think this is going to be the case. Even with some major surprises be Nintendo and Sony, the death of the 3DS and Vita are going to drag overall numbers way down. Based on Sony's cancellation of PSX and sitting out E3, it seems unlikely they have multiple games up their sleeve to stem the tide.

Of course, if we get to Switch revisions (pro and portable only) plus a permanent PS4 price cut, I think 2019 could be a strong year.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I think this is going to be the case. Even with some major surprises be Nintendo and Sony, the death of the 3DS and Vita are going to drag overall numbers way down. Based on Sony's cancellation of PSX and sitting out E3, it seems unlikely they have multiple games up their sleeve to stem the tide.

Of course, if we get to Switch revisions (pro and portable only) plus a permanent PS4 price cut, I think 2019 could be a strong year.

Switch will have a price cut for sure.
If a new revision is coming out remains to be seen.
Switch will increase sales, but by how much and will that be enough to offset the decline of 3 other platforms?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
More specifically (Famitsu, via GameDataLibrary)

[WII] Shape Boxing: Enjoy the Diet on Wii! - 9.218 / 105.417 (Rocket Company) 30/10/2008
[WII] Shape Boxing 2: Enjoy the Diet on Wii! - ? / 41.674 (Rocket Company) 16/12/2010

Now I remember reading how FB was the "sequel" / "reboot" of the two Shape Boxing games, I really forgot about that.

Then, it seems being very leggy is part of the franchise's legacy somehow, even if Fitness Boxing might be even more surprising than the others (in terms of FW multiplier at least).

Wii and DS era games had crazy legs. There are so many games who had really small FW sales and then legged out to respectable numbers.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Yet we have seen with Octopath how jrpg can really suffer lost sales due to initial low shipments
Really a pity imho
I've seen this discussed in the Media Create threads many times, and is this a Japanese market rule or universal? I don't understand why potential customers interested in a game wouldn't just buy it digitally if physical was sold out. We wouldn't see these digital sales tracked, but potentially they didn't lose much.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Nice strong start to the year for switch. Hopefully it can continue momentum with Mario and Smash legs.

Mega drop for PS4 but to be expected with the deal ending I guess.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I'm not so sure if those are good number for ToV.

What were the expectations ?
I mean let's not forget that the Japanese release is unique, because unlike the rest of the world Japan already got the definitive version a decade ago.
This isn't a remake, this isn't a "Deluxe", it's a simple port from the PS3 version without a single new feature for the Japanese audience (except perhaps 60 fps).

That's why I'm surprised the Switch didn't do better, because at least portability is "new".

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I've seen this discussed in the Media Create threads many times, and is this a Japanese market rule or universal? I don't understand why potential customers interested in a game wouldn't just buy it digitally if physical was sold out. We wouldn't see these digital sales tracked, but potentially they didn't lose much.

The most "hardcore" will buy it digitally, most people will just wait and buy it on the second hand market, which is very strong in Japan, even more for this genre.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Was to be expected, I heard Sony gave away two games with the system during the holidays, that's also why PS4 Software had it rough in the charts while the Switch reigned supreme...
Not many things would change for PS4 sold software in holidays if there wasn't Sony's promotion. Those who bought the system for price cut and free games would likely not buy it at all if it was at full price.

Deleted member 59

Looking at the race to 8m predictions from last week, ball park guesses seem to be around week 112 for Switch. That means selling around 900k in the next 13 weeks, what are people basing this on? That's an average of ~70k a week, are we expecting big bumps anytime soon?

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Looking at the race to 8m predictions from last week, ball park guesses seem to be around week 112 for Switch. That means selling around 900k in the next 13 weeks, what are people basing this on? That's an average of ~70k a week, are we expecting big bumps anytime soon?
Well I made my prediction after seeing this week and assuming that nsmbud slightly increased hw

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
This is what Media Create has for Shape Boxing 1 and 2

[WII] Gold's Gym: Cardio Workout <HOB> (Rocket Company) {2008.10.30} (¥5.800) - 16.381 / 137.146 <41,45%>
[WII] Gold's Gym: Dance Workout <HOB> (Rocket Company) {2010.12.16} (¥5.800) - 3.904 / 49.951 <20,03%>

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
It's 15 weeks from Week 97 (7.115.244) to 112 (~8.000.000). Thats ~59.000 per week, not 70k. Optimistic but doable.

Cieviz

Jan 11, 2018
02./01. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 62.580 / 2.676.740
11./06. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 11.061 / 2.893.881

So who's gonna be the first 3 million seller on Switch?
Smash seems pretty obvious but never understimate the legs of the squid!

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Why wouldnt it sell better FW on PS4 ? The Tales of games have been more or less Sony only for a decade.
F
Didn't we already go over this? Old ports have just as much impact as new entries (in building a userbase). Plus, the Tales series started on the SNES, where else do you think those fans would have gone in just 23 years? :p

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Didn't we already go over this? Old ports have just as much impact as new entries (in building a userbase). Plus, the Tales series started on the SNES, where else do you think those fans would have gone in just 23 years? :p

They weren't on SNES to begin with.
Tales of Phantasia sold 200k on SNES, its port on PS1 >600k.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Wow, switch hardware massively impressed me this week, I was expecting 55-60k ish. Hope it's not just MC correcting their holiday sales. NSMBUDX significantly outperformed my expectations too, was thinking like 115k first week. I still don't think it will reach Wii u LTD though.

Poor PS4 :(

I have to say though, overall, software kinda underperformed. I think we were expecting slightly less severe of a drop for switch evergreens, with only Pokémon and smash having worse than 70% drops. Didn't see Mario party having an 80% drop for example.

Actually it did slightly better than the Wii U version in the slowest week of the year.
Minor nitpick but I would definitely not say it's the slowest week of the whole year imo. Week one always looks rough, but that's only because it is right after holiday weeks. Hardware performance especially can often be higher than many other slow weeks during summer or spring.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There will be a better picture after weekend for where KH3 and RE2 will land but 1 week until launch and things haven't changed.

Ace Combat 7 could have a good opening, maybe not very far from 100k.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
A better comparison for Vesperia Switch might be Zestiria PS4 given it was the system's first Tales and a later port.

sheepysheep

Nov 19, 2018
Dengeki also had much higher numbers than M Create and Famitsu this time last year (Week 52, Week 1, Week 2 vs Famitsu). The difference got smaller as the quarter goes on and on a cumulative full quarter basis all 3 end up pretty close to each other. Dengeki did have the highest cumulative Q1 last year.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Would it be possible to look at the shipment data for this time last year and see if Dengeki or Media Create were more accurate? I'm guessing it would be difficult to do so with any degree of certainty.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Would it be possible to look at the shipment data for this time last year and see if Dengeki or Media Create were more accurate? I'm guessing it would be difficult to do so with any degree of certainty.

Let's compare last quarter with Nintendo results.

Accumulated sell-through for Switch until the 30th of September 2018 was the following:

Media Create: 5.133.290
Famitsu: 5.169.675
Dengeki: 5.155.468

Nintendo shipments: 5.520.000

There was a difference between 350k to 390k from shipments. These are units on stores still not sold.
But the difference between sell-in and sell-through seems still too big for Japan.

This is because hardware sales coming from MyNintendoStore are not tracked by any tracker (just Nintendo). And these sales were quite important during the stock problems era, so there are significant sales coming from there.

Because of that it is a little difficult to know the exactly sell-through amount.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Let's compare last quarter with Nintendo results.

Accumulated sell-through for Switch until the 30th of September 2018 was the following:

Media Create: 5.133.290
Famitsu: 5.169.675
Dengeki: 5.155.468

Nintendo shipments: 5.520.000

There was a difference between 350k to 390k from shipments. These are units on stores still not sold.
But the difference between sell-in and sell-through seems still too big for Japan.

This is because hardware sales coming from MyNintendoStore are not tracked by any tracker (just Nintendo). And these sales were quite important during the stock problems era, so there are significant sales coming from there.

Because of that it is a little difficult to know the exactly sell-through amount.

That's really insightful, thank you!