• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I saw a video, it was probably mothers basement that talked about how we havent had a one real huge mecha anime thats popular domesrically aswell as abroad since gurren lagann

Code Geass was more or less released at the same time (2006-2008 vs 2007 for Gurren Lagan), but yes if the anime industry is on a decline mecha anime litterally collapsed (especially if you look at the output of Sunrise in the 80-90's vs now)
It's also why the Super Robot Taisen have been selling less and less and even Gundam which is the biggest pillar of the genre is losing relevancy in the videogame market and can't seem to find new notable success on TV since 00 also a decade ago.
They're still selling gunpla and thriving in arcade, but it wouldn't surprise me if the latter is also in decline.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Thinking daemon x machina and fire emblem look super unpolished is a very era-exclusive opinion.
It's not strange at all tho. Nintendo games always show graphical polish at the end. Not sure why but I feel like they view graphics as dressing on the body(mechanics) which they focus on most

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If it's any consolation.

I thought Mario Odyessy didn't look impressive when it was first shown. Then again, I still kinda don't with the exceptions of a few worlds. But it's first showing to its official release did have a lot of noticeable differences

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Three Houses could look better, and I expect it to. FE has been on the uptick so I think Nintendo/IS will spend what's necessary to maximize potential
I think what's hurting it more right now is the subpar (in my opinion) art style. People can hate on Kozaki all they want, but the guy at least knew how to draw. Something just feels off about the new art style. The shading and lines around the armor in particular are amateur.
Fire-Emblem-Three-Houses_Dimitri.png

latest

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I was thinking that previously dqxi, yokai and smt v were brought up as way more significant third party games for switch

And that is right and true, but if we think about their possible selling power compared to what we would expect from the best selling games on the console that is a clear market leader, I wonder if ther will ever be a third party million seller on switch in japan

This is a strange situation, considering how often ds and 3ds were able to see huge sellers, with even ps4, ps3 and wii have at least 1 third party million seller

Dq is a very late port, smt never had this volume and yokai saw a huge decline in the past few years (inazuma too, that had million sellers on ds)

If yokai will disappoint in this task, which unannounced game/brand could achieve this milestone?

DQ11 is a late port, but one which was completely inaccessible to children, it may be different enough from the 3DS version to warrant interest.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Keyword is relatively. If Ninja Box, Ninjala and Daemon x Machina all sold 150k the latter would be a relatively big success but the two former games would be disappointments
So you have companies own expectations for their games before even before the investor meeting? Can you share me some?

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think what's hurting it more right now is the subpar (in my opinion) art style. People can hate on Kozaki all they want, but the guy at least knew how to draw. Something just feels off about the new art style. The shading and lines around the armor in particular are amateur.

latest

To this day i don't understand why people hated Kozaki's style in FE, it's amazing, it has its own unique look, it made FE stand out.

People can praise Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn all day but that previous art style was just super boring, and probably one of the reason why Fire Emblem was so niche before.

IS realized that, so they went to a character design that resemble Awakening and Fates while being different at the same time. (the result kinda reminds me of Persona)

Speaking of Kozaki do we have news on AI The Somnium Files?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

latest
Yep, I liked Kozaki's style more than the new one. Even Shadows of Valentia has an anime style that I like more.

Awakening was the first FE that felt modern and stylish in terms of character design (Creepy Nowi aside, but it's just a character of many)

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The last 3 Pokémon games all released the week prior to Black Friday, so it's very likely that the game will be released on November 22nd.

Unless there is a really really extraordinary situation, Pokemon Gen 8 will release on November 15 2019.
SM released on November 18, USUM on November 17 and Lets Go on November 16, always the friday of that week.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I liked Kozaki's style more than the new one. Even Shadows of Valentia has an anime style that I like more.

Awakening was the first FE that felt modern and stylish in terms of character design (Creepy Nowi aside, but it's just a character of many)
Nowi is not the only shitty character design

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Nintendo gets a cut of the physical release but not the digital release? idunno
That would make sense.

Just wondering, how do we know that its split between the two companies by the way?

Travis Strikes Again had a "physical" release. A download card that includes Season Pass packed in an empty box but it's MyNintendo Store exclusive.
Thats interesting. I guess that edition will be fairly rare.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

latest
At 1st I thought you were gonna say that the artstyle isnt as striking as Kozaki's but what you really saying i dont really agree with, i think their solid designs on their own.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Sure, there's room for improvement in FE, but if it released today with the graphics from e3 I'd be fine. It's not like this is an AAA game where people are looking for great graphics, it's fire emblem, and by FAR the best looking one yet.

Similar to Pokémon transition imo. A lot was said about let's go as a game, and even if some didn't like the art style, the general consensus on the graphics was positive despite it not being top level graphics.

Every friend who has gotten Pokémon LG has been like 'wow Pokémon looks so amazing on the tv!' And I feel like it'll be the same situation for fire emblem.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
if you're talking monetary split, we don't know. we just know that Grasshopper is the official publisher rather than Marvelous/XSeed

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/travis-strikes-again-no-more-heroes-switch
No, i mean regarding Nintendo doing the physical copy and Grasshopper still publishing it. Sorry for not being more clear on that.

EDIT: I found an article about it on Gematsu mentioning that Nintendo does the physical copies of the game. Seems like a co-publishing kinda thing. First time i've heard of this i think, that another publisher handles the physical copies only while another publisher handles the download version.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, i mean regarding Nintendo doing the physical copy and Grasshopper still publishing it. Sorry for not being more clear on that.

EDIT: I found an article about it on Gematsu mentioning that Nintendo does the physical copies of the game. Seems like a co-publishing kinda thing. First time i've heard of this i think, that another publisher handles the physical copies only while another publisher handles the download version.
Square Enix and Sega did such deals in Europe in the past. Deep Silver distributing their games while SE/Sega are still listed as publisher. kinda the same with Limited Run Games and similar companies.

of course, that's just surface comparisons

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
It seems Ace Combat 7 had new shipments today. Yesterday, the stock was starting to get low but seems solved now.

No sign of ToV Switch yet.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I saw a ToV commercial this morning during OP. Apparently they didn't bother using console logos, just white text at the top listing the platforms.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
COMG and « beast mode » is a combination I wasn't expecting to see ever again in these threads

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Puzzle & Dragons did a million on 3DS and Monster Strike was very, very close and might have got there.
So should we take that as ToV wont be restocked at all? If AC7 already restocked while ToV hasnt received any at all?
It's more that they probably didn't have a solid plan in place for restocks, and printing more requires more time than printing PS4 blu-ray discs, so we get these annoying situations where a Switch game gets hampered by insufficient foresight by different parties (both retailers and the publisher), same as with Octopath Traveler.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's more that they probably didn't have a solid plan in place for restocks, and printing more requires more time than printing PS4 blu-ray discs, so we get these annoying situations where a Switch game gets hampered by insufficient foresight by different parties (both retailers and the publisher), same as with Octopath Traveler.

Kinda off topic, but the game is also out of stock everywhere in Spain. I think UK is fine though, not sure about the rest of Europe.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I wonder how the retailer publisher relationship works with cards. Do companies ask retailers who many copies they are willing to buy before having the cards manufactured, then come up with a conservative estimate of how many restock requests they'll have after that internally?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

It's baffling at this point. One thing that they dont have enough stock - that could happen. But that there's no plan for a potential re-stock? that's just weird. Especially from someone like Bamco..

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
We don't know how long it takes to restock a Switch game, and it is pure speculation that it takes longer (it probably does, but I don't think it takes that much longer)

Games need to be ordered to restock. So there are lots of other things that maybe happening.

Retailers aren't reordering.

Retailers are reordering but not enough have reordered to make it worth the cost of a second print (which has a minimum number required by Nintendo).

Bamco is satisfied with the number of copies they sold to retail and are unconcerned because they will make more off the digital download anyway.

Etc.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think BN cared enough for Vesperia to have a back up plan. It's a low budget project that must have made already its money back. Things will be different with next mainline entry.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Weekly retailer hints vol.2

Ace Combat started strong. 100k opening is very possible and word of mouth is good.

Mario Bros. held well at its second week, it won't have a big drop.

Things remain the same for KH3 and RE2. RE2 will have similar opening with RE7 and KH3 could double it. Nothing major is expected for PS4 bump, it will be way below MHW release week.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Since BN (Bandai Namco) is able to restock Ace Combat 7 fast, does it mean that its more out of BN's hands regarding restocking ToV Switch faster? Thats what i was wondering about earlier, how the whole process works and to see what BN could have done differently if they wanted to. Seeing how BN can order new copies of a game quick (like with Ace Combat 7), wouldnt they do they same with ToV as well? If its a timing issue, does anyone know how fast they have to place a new order to Nintendo, and if they're too slow, will this cause extra delay? Anyone have some info or thoughts about this?

But maybe there are other factors in place that are out of their hands, and they had to print more copies in advance (before launch) and have extra stock ready in case it sold out. That could be smart, but also quite risky in case restock isnt needed. Then they might be stuck with a lot of copies.

Square Enix and Sega did such deals in Europe in the past. Deep Silver distributing their games while SE/Sega are still listed as publisher. kinda the same with Limited Run Games and similar companies.

of course, that's just surface comparisons
I see. Good point, especially about Limited Run Games etc., they do exclusive retail publishing indeed.

We don't know how long it takes to restock a Switch game, and it is pure speculation that it takes longer (it probably does, but I don't think it takes that much longer)

Games need to be ordered to restock. So there are lots of other things that maybe happening.

Retailers aren't reordering.

Retailers are reordering but not enough have reordered to make it worth the cost of a second print (which has a minimum number required by Nintendo).

Bamco is satisfied with the number of copies they sold to retail and are unconcerned because they will make more off the digital download anyway.

Etc.
Have there been any 3rd party Switch games that have sold out quickly within the first week and been able to restock within a few days? Or within the first week.

But the reasons you mention there sounds like plausible senarios as well i think. If the retailer reoders are too low, it might not be a good business decision to print more copies.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Since BN (Bandai Namco) is able to restock Ace Combat 7 fast, does it mean that its more out of BN's hands regarding restocking ToV Switch faster? Thats what i was wondering about earlier, how the whole process works and to see what BN could have done differently if they wanted to. Seeing how BN can order new copies of a game quick (like with Ace Combat 7), wouldnt they do they same with ToV as well? If its a timing issue, does anyone know how fast they have to place a new order to Nintendo, and if they're too slow, will this cause extra delay? Anyone have some info or thoughts about this?

But maybe there are other factors in place that are out of their hands, and they had to print more copies in advance (before launch) and have extra stock ready in case it sold out. That could be smart, but also quite risky in case restock isnt needed. Then they might be stuck with a lot of copies.

I see. Good point, especially about Limited Run Games etc., they do exclusive retail publishing indeed.

Have there been any 3rd party Switch games that have sold out quickly within the first week and been able to restock within a few days? Or within the first week.

But the reasons you mention there sounds like plausible senarios as well i think. If the retailer reoders are too low, it might not be a good business decision to print more copies.

I don't think anyone has done an indepth survey, however it may be difficult to know because holidays, competition for the resources to print, holding off reprints until sufficient demand, left over stock that wasn't sold to retailers but can daily be shipped out, etc.

For instance, they have faith in their game being popular, but retailers are less certain. They could take a chance and print more than was ordered, and have it available to quickly ship to retailers if needed. Perhaps such a strategy is more likely with less expensive printing.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Switch games always seem to take longer to restock than PS4 games. Maybe it's a cartridge vs blu ray thing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You already know one of them is a port of Boruto.
That's without question. The big poll one is what their other game is. I'm kinda thinking they are assisting Valhalla on a new game. Since Valhalla hasn't done anything since developing Momotaro Dentetsu, maybe they are making another game for Nintendo, with Soleil assisting

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate that we likely won't know TSA numbers for japan but I wonder how well it will do worldwide. Could it reach >500k digital + physical...?
Have my doubts, but then I don't think they were expecting the game to light charts on fire. It's a modestly budgeted indie-size game so it will do indie-style numbers, most likely will do well during sales periods.

The game is currently 23rd on Japanese eShop rankings, right under DQX and Breath of the Wild. Might not seem like much but No More Heroes was never big in Japan. Surprisingly, I'm not seeing it in the western charts, but I wonder whether that's because people are buying the physical. In Japan it makes more sense for it to chart since the physical is only through MyNintendo.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
There aren't many games left from Wii U Nintendo can port to Switch, just Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3d World are remaining.
Those are the two games I definitely want ported. Means I won't have to take out my Wii U again, unless it's to buy Mario Advance 3 with the eReader levels. I need to get on that, but worried I'll be forced to update my firmware and then unable to use it for homebrew.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There's also only two games on the digital only list that have any numbers. I have no idea why we have numbers for Puyo Puyo eSport andnothing for Human Fall Flat or Stardew Valley. But then we have numbers for Snipperclips.... I doesn't make sense.
You are right, digital only charts are even worse. Human: Fall Flat and Stardew Valley didn't chart a single month at Famitsu combined charts.

01. [NSW] Human: Fall Flat _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Teyon Japan) {2017.12.28} (¥1.388)
02. [NSW Stardew Valley _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Chucklefish) {2018.01.11} (¥1.370)
03. [NSW] Puyo Puyo eSports _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Sega) {2018.10.25} (¥1.850) - 101.395 (Oct-Nov)