• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing is a huge game for getting dated with tweets and the next general direct is as least three weeks away. If Nintendo doesn't want to wait until then there will be a dedicated one. There are also several parallel products that could be releasing with it and have to be revealed.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Even as someone who has been posting the chart for the past few months, I can't decipher the exact timing. My educated guess says that it's for the week prior so this chart would encompass around the same dates as the MC/Famitsu week 2 charts do, but I haven't found any particular official designation so I leave them without dates or even a designated week.

Regardless, for a title that has only sold 50k at retail to outsell a month and a half later after launch the week leading up to two much bigger games on the digital front the week before their release is pretty damn nuts.

There's a vast difference between outselling digital preorders of a 100-200k FW game and digital sales for the FW of the same games, we're talking about half the number or even less than that.

From there you could infer that 13 Sentinels is probably above 40k in the second scenario while the first scenario would only leave you above 10k as a certainty.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
There's a vast difference between outselling digital preorders of a 100-200k FW game and digital sales for the FW of the same games, we're talking about half the number or even less than that.

From there you could infer that 13 Sentinels is probably above 40k in the second scenario while the first scenario would only leave you above 10k as a certainty.
Even 10k would still be adding another 20% of its retail total to its already high digital sales (relative to physical).

Last edited:

JTMarlin

Nov 6, 2018
Animal Crossing is a huge game for getting dated with tweets and the next general direct is as least three weeks away. If Nintendo doesn't want to wait until then there will be a dedicated one. There are also several parallel products that could be releasing with it and have to be revealed.

What are some of the parallel products?

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
That is very appreciated. There have been at least a few times where I've scanned through the backend of these threads trying to find Dengeki's list for a certain week.
This can also help for finding older Dengeki posts- https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...ive-please-refrain-from-posting-in-here.1608/

Dengeki will be threadmarked from now on. If they decide to become more professionals they'll be copied to OP.
Thanks!

jesusraz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The game sold 700k units because it was featuring popular Japanese and Korean songs and was marketed by Nintendo.

This one is just sent to die.
Just Dance Wii 2 also dropped off a cliff, if I recall correctly and that's even with Nintendo as publisher. Then there was a Yokai Watch version, right? Also bombed. I'm surprised JD20 is coming without some support from Nintendo, or some sort of incentive to get it on Switch (Nintendo tunes or avatars), or even a big push on the fitness element.

I've not given RFA much attention, but is it something that could be used for dance moves? There must be some way to tap into its success, like how some games had Labo compatibility.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Labo's targeted age demographic is kids.

Ring Fit Adventure has a much wider age demographic to appeal to in comparison.

I know they're both gimmicky games but that's as far as their similarities go.
Kind of disagree on that, I bought labo for myself. But anyway, the similarity that I described was that they're both in a way expensive seasonal games launched outside of season. If Labo, being the expensive set it was, was aimed at kids, it should have launched near Christmas season so somebody could gift it to them. Fitness devices sell gangbusters right after Christmas, after the gluttony and when people still think they can maintain new years resolutions. You can see it in the game now coming in second place in what is still a busy period in Japan. Labo sizzled out before Christmas started, Ring Fit was able to keep momentum until the prime season.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Just Dance Wii 2 also dropped off a cliff, if I recall correctly and that's even with Nintendo as publisher. Then there was a Yokai Watch version, right? Also bombed. I'm surprised JD20 is coming without some support from Nintendo, or some sort of incentive to get it on Switch (Nintendo tunes or avatars), or even a big push on the fitness element.

I've not given RFA much attention, but is it something that could be used for dance moves? There must be some way to tap into its success, like how some games had Labo compatibility.

It was launched in 2012, when Wii was with its last legs. Still it sold ~270k, which is a drop but acceptable sales for that late release.

Yo-kai Watch Dance game mega bombed but it was for Wii U.

Last edited:

jesusraz

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It was launched in 2012, when Wii was with its last legs. Still it sold ~270k, which is a drop but acceptable sales for that late release.

Yo-kai Watch Dance game mega bombed but it was for Wii U.
It sold more than I remember. Perhaps, as you say, it was the drop between 1 and 2 that made me confused. Anyway, there *is* potential for JD20 to be a sleeper hit, but only if it's advertised correctly. That current advert just doesn't seem... hmm... like Ubi's trying to capitalise on any past success, or tie-in to any current trend. We shall see. I'm happy to be proven wrong and watch it catch fire, since I'm in the pre-JD camp.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
It sold more than I remember. Perhaps, as you say, it was the drop between 1 and 2 that made me confused. Anyway, there *is* potential for JD20 to be a sleeper hit, but only if it's advertised correctly. That current advert just doesn't seem... hmm... like Ubi's trying to capitalise on any past success, or tie-in to any current trend. We shall see. I'm happy to be proven wrong and watch it catch fire, since I'm in the pre-JD camp.

I think there is potencial but the problem isn't only about advertisment. They need to add popular Japanese songs if they really want to capitalize it. I don't know if Ubisoft can do that by themselves, that's why Nintendo took that work in the past. But now they don't seem to see potencial anymore and don't find worth trying.

That's why I think this game will bomb hard.

It also had only 10 songs or something silly right?

I think it was more about having less popular songs than a short tracklist.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is potencial but the problem isn't only about advertisment. They need to add popular Japanese songs if they really want to capitalize it. I don't know if Ubisoft can do that by themselves, that's why Nintendo took that work in the past. But now they don't seem to see potencial anymore and don't find worth trying.

That's why I think this game will bomb hard.

I think it was more about having less popular songs than a short tracklist.
I think they have the Frozen song which is popular in Japan right ?

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Famitsu First-Party Switch Package Retail LTD.

01. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} 3.510.455
02. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} 3.288.270
03. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15} 3.256.754
04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} 2.725.304
05. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} 2.060.611
06. [NSW] Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Eevee! # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2018.11.16} 1.692.923
07. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} 1.498.038
08. [NSW] Super Mario Party # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.10.05} 1.311.173
09. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.06.28} 834.218
10. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} 791.570
11. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe <New Super Mario Bros. U \ New Super Luigi U> <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.01.11} 765.470
12. [NSW] Luigi's Mansion 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.10.31} 570.071
13. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} 547.569
14. [NSW] 1 2 Switch <VAR> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} 456.724
15. [NSW] Mario Tennis Aces <SPO> (Nintendo) {2018.06.22} 442.878
16. [NSW] Arms <FIG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.07} 434.862
17. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX <FIG> (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22) 310.946
18. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2019.07.26} 273.905
19. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2019.09.20} 258.314
20. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit # <EDU> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} 250.368
21. [NSW] Xenoblade Chronicles 2<RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.12.01} 233.879
22. [NSW] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.03.05} 227.296
23. [NSW] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker <PUZ> (Nintendo) {2018.07.13} 201.507
24. [NSW] Yoshi's Crafted World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.03.29} 186.065
25. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.12.27} 91.908
26. [NSW] Snipperclips: Cut It Out Together! <PUZ> (Nintendo) {2017.03.16} 91.391
27. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit # <EDU> (Nintendo) {2019.04.12} 81.440
28. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit # <EDU> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} 56.307
29. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 03: Vehicle Kit # <EDU> (Nintendo) {2018.09.14} 49.175
30. [NSW] Astral Chain # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.08.30} 46.875
31. [NSW] Bayonetta 1 + 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.05.17} 38.266
32. [NSW] Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.07.18} 12.506
33. [NSW] Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido <PUZ> (Nintendo) {2018.06.07} 9.782
34. [NSW] Tetris 99 <PZL> (Nintendo) {2019.08.09} 8.221

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Just Dance Wii was basically Nintendo themselves asking Ubisoft to work on a heavily customised version of the original game, with Japanese-focused content. And Nintendo was behind promotion and song selection. Just Dance 2020 is on a successful system in its prime, but Ubisoft surely won't go to such lengths for content / promotion. Honestly, I'd say Ubisoft should be overjoyed it reaches 100k based on what we currently have XD

Anyway, any hints from retailers on how TMS debuted?

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of disagree on that, I bought labo for myself.

That's not how this works. If you bought an Otome game that doesn't suddenly make you the target demographic for Otome games.

But anyway, the similarity that I described was that they're both in a way expensive seasonal games launched outside of season. If Labo, being the expensive set it was, was aimed at kids, it should have launched near Christmas season so somebody could gift it to them. Fitness devices sell gangbusters right after Christmas, after the gluttony and when people still think they can maintain new years resolutions. You can see it in the game now coming in second place in what is still a busy period in Japan. Labo sizzled out before Christmas started, Ring Fit was able to keep momentum until the prime season.

They're also experimental products that they've never released before this generation. If Nintendo went and released Labo during holidays and underestimated demand, then there would have been shortages. However, we know that Labo ended up underperforming and the double-edged sword of not having enough stock for a successful product is having too much stock for a flop like with THQ and uDraw for PS3 and 360.

And we can see from Ring Fit Adventure that it's not so simple to get more stock in for a product that isn't just software since it requires a complex peripheral device. Unless Nintendo knew that this never before released product would be a massive success, then they surely would have done better to plan ahead.

Last edited:

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
EOYQz2xVUAAklme.jpg

EOXzpqFUEAA1FjR.jpg

EOY5NRUU0AEbF6S.jpg

EOYN-O4VAAANuZG.jpg

EOYwFpTUYAEe4HO.jpg

EOYmc_HU0AAQwh9.jpg

EOXjjyEUwAAY2OF.jpg

EOXltERUUAAmLNt.jpg

EOTq8-YUYAAIU1c.jpg

EOYPztHUwAAgvth.jpg

EOXzvUdUEAEB_Gj.jpg

EOXWycDUEAISNpC.jpg

EOdAC4cUEAAC8na.jpg

EOdAC4gUYAAcB5K.jpg

EOceQ4OVAAE1aj2.jpg

EOZ0p8GVUAIfLB6.jpg

EOci9_yVAAAxAE3.jpg

EOe6nJCU0AIbuE_.jpg

EOZyTrXVUAEXi0u.jpg

EOZyTrYVUAANzn8.jpg

EOYRv5uU0AAaX0f.jpg

EOYRv5uVUAACNRp.jpg

EOZZ7wMVUAMmAgU.jpg

EOOjn5eVUAAJk_X.jpg

EONu0eXVAAAujrd.jpg

EOJiMwVU4AAmGtg.jpg

EOJiMwSUwAEzdT9.jpg

EOdbOIjU4AU6pGa.jpg

EOdu60yUYAAUxcg.jpg

EOUXiJtXkAAyrOO.jpg

EOVaO2zU0AALSD6.jpg

EOdQ97jUwAAuF-8.jpg

EOd8xRjU4AEuLXW.jpg

EOUk9cAVAAAcZTV.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People died in the heat wave that meme came from, so it's in poor taste.

Come on, it's bullshit, people used that meme over and over long after. It's not like we found out people died years later. It's a Media Create thread classic. When was it decided that people should stop using it? Such a stupid ban.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Come on, it's bullshit, people used that meme over and over long after. It's not like we found out people died years later. It's a Media Create thread classic. When was it decided that people should stop using it? Such a stupid ban.

Just because you used to do something that you did not know was in poor taste does not mean you should continue doing it.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just because you used to do something that you did not know was in poor taste does not mean you should continue doing it.

How would the user know to stop doing it if they didn't know it was no longer allowed? I've been reading these threads weekly for years and have never seen it stated that referencing that meme was going to result in a ban from now on. That's what warnings are there for.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How would the user know to stop doing it if they didn't know it was no longer allowed? I've been reading these threads weekly for years and have never seen it stated that referencing that meme was going to result in a ban from now on. That's what warnings are there for.

Someone was banned before for few weeks due to joking about the heatwave. Many people who frequent this thread know that it's an inappropriate joke.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There's absence of notable releases for almost a month. Next one is Persona 5 Scramble at 20 February.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I've been fully expecting them to at least release an Animal Crossing Switch Lite, so if they don't announce that soon I'm going to start scratching my head.

I'll be curious to see how Persona 5 Scramble performs on Switch. I definitely expect the PS4 to be leading, at least at launch, but will it have better legs?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Sammy was very famously banned for a long time in an MC thread for making a very distasteful joke about a natural disaster causing MHW shortages. Not making jokes about people dying has been an Era policy for quite some time now.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I've been fully expecting them to at least release an Animal Crossing Switch Lite, so if they don't announce that soon I'm going to start scratching my head.

I'll be curious to see how Persona 5 Scramble performs on Switch. I definitely expect the PS4 to be leading, at least at launch, but will it have better legs?
I doubt P5S will do well on Switch, both in the beginning and the legs, there are too many factors going against it.