• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
What people tend to underestimate is the timing of the announcements
Looking at capcom
Looks like we have out first victim of inflated expectations - Pikmin 3 deluxe will be next

LOL I remember people waiting for 10 millions LT sales
its debut numbers were SO strong for a Mosou game that already was the best selling in history (ww), and even if its legs aren't great, it is one hell of a hit
I wonder if they are actually planning DLC: silence so far has been suspicious; if they are, I think that with DLC and the BOTW2 hype (at some point this year we WILL hear about it, right?) it could sell another million

Ryza 2 too was a little bit overhyped, but the 220k for JP only are very good numbers and I'm expecint a good performance in the West too

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
The minimum expectations for Pikmin should at least be 2 million.

Which for a Wii U port is pretty good.

Yeh, the performance in Japan has been exceptional so it should be between 2-3 million already. And the AoC result is good but a few in this thread predicted crazy numbers (10 million) so hopefully people are not disappointed with these numbers considering its is a great result for a musou

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
What people tend to underestimate is the timing of the announcements
Looking at capcom

LOL I remember people waiting for 10 millions LT sales
its debut numbers were SO strong for a Mosou game that already was the best selling in history (ww), and even if its legs aren't great, it is one hell of a hit
I wonder if they are actually planning DLC: silence so far has been suspicious; if they are, I think that with DLC and the BOTW2 hype (at some point this year we WILL hear about it, right?) it could sell another million

Ryza 2 too was a little bit overhyped, but the 220k for JP only are very good numbers and I'm expecint a good performance in the West too

I don't know how anyone can over hype Ryza 2 tbh. Expecting it to sell better than previous installments should be the expectation.

Which is gonna happen anyway. It's a niche series and seems like it's performing good for the title itself.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Yeh, the performance in Japan has been exceptional so it should be between 2-3 million already. And the AoC result is good but a few in this thread predicted crazy numbers (10 million) so hopefully people are not disappointed with these numbers considering its is a great result for a musou
definitely, Pikmin 3dx might be able to get up to 4mil which would be gigantic growth for the franchise especially for a port.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

As long as we end up getting a new Pikmin game I'm good lol. As for AOC it should be the best selling musou game which in itself is a big achievement.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
between story of seasons & rune factory which one will sell more
I will go with RF 5.

I know that SoS is the stronger brand but RF5 has more potential. I thin it has a chance to go viral, if tubers will take a liking to the game. The dating in RF 4 was a bigger hook than in SoS games.

In the end RF5 will be more dependent on the quality of the game than SoS. One can only hope that it will be as good as RF4

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I think think an Animal Crossing boardgame is a good idea.

Me too
I think that a proper Mario Party-esque/Momotaro-esque Animal Crossing spinoff would be a great idea
But maybe in a couple of years? I mean, the main episode has "just" been released last year and it's still selling like hot cakes

I don't know how anyone can over hype Ryza 2 tbh. Expecting it to sell better than previous installments should be the expectation.
Which is gonna happen anyway. It's a niche series and seems like it's performing good for the title itself.

Do we have Ryza 1 LT sales updated for JP? I remember KT giving out just ww numbers.
Just to put these 200k+ numbers into perspective

definitely, Pikmin 3dx might be able to get up to 4mil which would be gigantic growth for the franchise especially for a port.

totally, even if I'm not THAT sure about its potential to get there, I think that even "just" three+ millions would be great

As long as we end up getting a new Pikmin game I'm good lol. As for AOC it should be the best selling musou game which in itself is a big achievement.

I think it already was with "just" the three millions distributed at launch
it is now consolidating that position, on top of any other Mosou game ever released

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
500k on top of its mammoth launch is still more than good for Age of Calamity. It's probably better legs than any other Musou has shown.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Me too
I think that a proper Mario Party-esque/Momotaro-esque Animal Crossing spinoff would be a great idea
But maybe in a couple of years? I mean, the main episode has "just" been released last year and it's still selling like hoe cakes
unfortunate typo there bud.

but yeah a game like that makes a lot of sense. But another one would be something more similar to city skylines where you make massive city's but in the AC universe.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Ryza 1 had already an explosive launch, it wasn't an under the radar release that got great WoM over time. I don't think Ryza 2 doing better is guaranteed at all.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
GEO stores: Week 3, 2021 (Jan 18 - Jan 24)

01./01. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! <TBL> (Konami) {2020.11.19} (¥6.300)
02./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
03./03. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
04./04. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
05./05. [NSW] Minecraft <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600)
06./06. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200)
07./07. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics <TBL> (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980)
08./08. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.11.22} (¥5.980)
09./09. [NSW] Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin <SLG> (Marvelous) {2020.11.12} (¥4.980)
10./12. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition [New Price Edition] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.12.04} (¥4.980)

Top 10

NSW - 10

"After the year-end and New Year holidays, it can be seen that popularity of Switch software is still high.
This week, 1st to 9th place rank is the same as previous week and Dragon Quest XI S ranked in 10th place. At 1st place, [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! has sales that greatly exceed the 2nd place Ring Fit Adventure. In addition, it has been featured as educational software in the media and it is a recommended title for learning about geography, special products and historical figures."

Last edited:

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
yes but any AAA title that sells 2.5M copies would be considered a flop
That's highly debatable, depends on the budget and the genre. It's not the same to make an AAA game like Control with a 25 million budget than making a +100 million AAA game. There is a huge bracket withing the AAA industry, too. Stuff like The Evil Within 1, Wolfenstein the New Order, Wolfenstein The New Colossus, Dishonored 1 or Deus Ex Human Revolution sold around that and were successful and made money because they had lower ~30-40 million budgets.

Last edited:

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
That's highly debatable, depends on the budget and the genre. It's not the same to make an AAA game like Control with a 25 million budget than making a +100 million AAA game. There is a huge bracket withing the AAA industry, too. Stuff like The Evil Within 1, Wolfenstein the New Order, Wolfenstein The New Colossus, Dishonored 1 or Deus Ex Human Revolution sold around that and were successful and made money because they had lower ~30-40 million budgets.
AAA games usually are considered to be huge budget games. I remember Ubisoft terming it as something with a budget over 100 million. 30 million budget games are considered mid tier or AA games these days.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
At 1st place, [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! has sales that greatly exceed the 2nd place Ring Fit Adventure. In addition, it has been featured as educational software in the media and it is a recommended title for learning about geography, special products, and historical figures."

1 more million.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
10./12. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition [New Price Edition] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2020.12.04} (¥4.980)

"At 1st place, [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! has been featured as educational software in the media and it is a recommended title for learning about geography, special products, and historical figures."

Wow at DQS coming back in the top 10! What a leggy game on Switch
And Momotaro...incredible how it has become some sort of cultural phenomena

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 2, 2021 (11 Jan - 17 Jan)

01./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}
02./00. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15}
03./03. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
04./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
05./05. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}

Top 5

NSW - 5

(South Korea)
Media Create Sales Week 2, 2021 (11 Jan - 17 Jan)

01./02. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
02./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
03./03. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}
04./04. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) {2018.02.01}
05./00. [NSW] Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit - Mario Set <RCE> (Nintendo) {2020.12.17}

Top 5

NSW - 5

gnn.gamer.com.tw

MediaCreate 1 月 11 日~1 月 17 日一週銷售排行榜 Switch 遊戲持續霸榜

巴哈姆特 GNN 與日本遊戲業界分析公司 MediaCreate 合作,每週定期刊載由 MediaCreate 調查與統計的日本、台灣與韓國地區家用遊樂器主機遊戲軟體的一週銷售排行榜,供玩家參考。 《桃太郎電鐵 ~昭和 平成 令和也是基本款!~》 剛跨完年的這幾週因為少有遊戲上市,因此都是由長賣取向的 Switch 遊戲包辦所有名次。其中《桃太郎電鐵 ~昭和

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
It was out of top 5 like a month ago, it looks like it's just not as strong there. I notice little quirks in Taiwan and Korea compared to Japan. AC is slower in Taiwan, Zelda is stronger in Korea. Everyone loves Ring Fit though.

Checking last year rankings, Taiwan was very strong market for Rune Factory 4 port, and Story of Seasons: Mineral Town.
One would thought that since Taiwanese seem to like these kind of games, they'd like AC too.

It might be that weekly sales were just higher and now just reached saturation.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very close to throwing in the towel for my AoC 10M prediction.

But really it should hit 5M which will be a huge success for a Musou.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people were quick to forget that Musou genre is pretty niche usually, with very harsh reviews, licensed games do better of course.
The BotW connection can only carry it so much, it's going or it is already the best selling Koei Tecmo game which is no small feat.
If it had DLCs or expansion pass, it would help having some legs, I remember getting hype with the Hyrule Warriors DLC character trailers.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Pikmin 3 staying in the charts is really impressive, it could become a top 30 evergreen going forward.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Predictions for Age of Calamity selling 1m in Japan or 10m worldwide never had a base, just the typical aim high for everything on Switch and with the rate hw and sw sells something among them will happen.

Japan will likely be at 400-450k at next report.