• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna post at the denial and madness of Pokemon thread but there aren't many with better Nintendo sources than King Zell in this forum, admins, mods or anonymous posters. If someone didn't discover internet recently and follows Media Create threads for (many) years he knows he is reliable.

I didn't want to wade through that whole mess of a thread, but it sounds like the games coming out this year are the Pokemon Yellow remakes and there will be a mainline set of games in 2019. Should be interesting.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really curious about how big the gen 1 nostalgia is in Japan. I think it looks pretty good, and I've been shitting on GF for at least five years.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
That can change.

I think this game will be big, especially in Japan.
Sure, it can, but it doesn't have to. All pokemon should be able to be imported into the game. Gen 1 pandering is stupid, they already get it way too much. However probably the worst part is turning the game from an RPG into a pitching sim.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But there was already a remake. Oh well, this is not the first game getting second remake anyway, DQV and FFIV did pretty well in Japan.
A remake on the switch is another league from the remake on the GBA, this time your getting even closer to what people imagined in their head

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This Pokemon game is going to explode like crazy lol. Nostalgia hit with Pikachu and Eevee is going to be crazy.

Oct 26, 2017
It's an interesting game... It looks like it was a super cheap and quick game they don't care about too much, but it also has a lot of really interesting and really bad features.

The local co-op makes all the battles completely trivial to allow casual players to actually complete the game and the capturing will be fun for Pokemon Go players maybe.

But no online features is just Game Freak not caring at all. Can't imagine Nintendo is pleased with Game Freak deciding to cut online from their game two months after the launch of their online service, lol.

And there's like one new Pokemon so :shrug:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I like generation one (and two) in terms of Pokedex appeal much more than subsequent generations but I always want a completely new Pokedex in new games, especially with the remakes they do.

I probably would've been interested in a more "classic" remake of generation one for Switch but I'm quite glad this isn't the entirety of their vision for Pokemon on Switch.

I'm curious how this game will do. It looks nice in my opinion and things like co-op and Go compatibility should help I imagine? Not sure about the generation one bent or the simplification of catching/seeking Pokemon. Honestly seems the two are at odds to me. That is I imagine a lot of the generation one fans would be like me and want a more classic remake. I guess, though, the answer is to draw people in through Go which also had generation one Pokemon. But doesn't it have other Pokemon now too? And wouldn't the draw for Go people, beyond new ways to catch and interact with Pokemon, be more Pokemon?

I guess the ideal for this sort of product would be a great degree of synergy with Go, namely a service component where the two upgraded in tandem?

It'll sell well no matter what but I guess I'm curious how well...

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It's an interesting game... It looks like it was a super cheap and quick game they don't care about too much, but it also has a lot of really interesting and really bad features.

The local co-op makes all the battles completely trivial to allow casual players to actually complete the game and the capturing will be fun for Pokemon Go players maybe.

But no online features is just Game Freak not caring at all. Can't imagine Nintendo is pleased with Game Freak deciding to cut online from their game two months after the launch of their online service, lol.

And there's like one new Pokemon so :shrug:

Who said that there are no online features ?

There are trainer battles, so why could there not be online trainer battles ?

Oct 26, 2017
This is aimed to teh GO crowd, I dont think they will mind lack of something Go didnt have

The main new feature of this game is the co-op.

... There's literally no reason why they can't do online co-op in this turn-based RPG. This would be incredibly easy to do. And online co-op is extremely popular in America and Europe (and Japan really!)

And they don't care at all and it's kind of amazing?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo wants me to pay for online and in their biggest franchise they are about to release an entry with zero online functionality. Nintendo stays true.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
The main new feature of this game is the co-op.

... There's literally no reason why they can't do online co-op in this turn-based RPG. This would be incredibly easy to do. And online co-op is extremely popular in America and Europe (and Japan really!)

And they don't care at all.
Local co-op = bonding, go out, meet people. Just like GO.
You will have the successor main line series next year. Why do people try tomake this spin off into a full fledge game??

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Let's Go has so few resources put into it that they aren't even including a specific handheld mode for catching Pokemon.

So instead of using the touch screen, you shake the entire system in handheld mode.

Not sure Nintendo is right to be banking a lot on this spinoff Pokemon game (since Pokemon seems to be one of the few games other than Smash that will do giant numbers this year) that Game Freak themselves seems to barely care about at all.

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Pokemon Let's Go has so few resources put into it that they aren't even including a specific handheld mode for catching Pokemon.

So instead of using the touch screen, you shake the entire system in handheld mode.

Not sure Nintendo is right to be banking a lot on this spinoff Pokemon game (since Pokemon seems to be one of the few games other than Smash that will do giant numbers this year) that Game Freak themselves seems to barely care about at all.
You worry too much.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well it seems from the announcement thread that it is now coming out that there is online trading/battling? Seems the first thing was exclusively about the co-op running around together only being local?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it can, but it doesn't have to. All pokemon should be able to be imported into the game. Gen 1 pandering is stupid, they already get it way too much. However probably the worst part is turning the game from an RPG into a pitching sim.
Gen 1 pandering ignores the people that grew up with Gen 2... or gen 3... or 4, etc. Also ignores kids a lot. My cousin is 8 and he recently had a Pokémon birthday party and complained he didn't know most of the Pokémon decorating it (it was gen 1 centric) and that it lacked Talonflame, his favorite.

Obviously, there are kids who like gen 1 too, but if you're trying to make a super casual game shouldn't you focus on bringing all fans (new ones included)?

Oct 26, 2017
Well it seems from the announcement thread that it is now coming out that there is online trading/battling? Seems the first thing was exclusively about the co-op running around together only being local?

Yes, but that's still... a very confusing thing.

Online co-op is maybe the most popular video game playstyle in America right now. Even games that are super iffy (see Ghost Recon Wildlands) can blow up because of online co-op.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Oh so there is online.

I like some of the changes like visbile pokemon. Gets us one step closer to BOTW pokemon. No wild pokemon battling is weird as fuck though. If this has 8 gyms, E4 and Champion, not being able to battle wilds means they have to revamp leveling up and battling mechanics.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so there is online.

I like some of the changes like visbile pokemon. Gets us one step closer to BOTW pokemon. No wild pokemon battling is weird as fuck though. If this has 8 gyms, E4 and Champion, not being able to battle wilds means they have to revamp leveling up and battling mechanics.
Back to no online in the announcement thread. Press seems confused.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe Game Freak actually cut the online from their games, what the fuck.

How does Game Freak look at 2018 and see:

-Online gaming is overwhelmingly what mainstream gamers care about, far beyond every other type of game style
-Nintendo is launching an online service they want to promote

And decide

"Let's cut online out of our games and somehow not include online co-op even though it would be super easy to do."

This is like legendary amounts of not caring about this game.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has no online because this thing is made based more on Go than the actual previous mainline games and they don't want to create a "meta" for a different game featuring only old Pokémon.

This is still very bizarre.

I think they were making this game only because Nintendo asked them for a "core RPG for Switch" and they didn't want to commit to a main game yet considering they expected the Switch to bomb completely, so this happened.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It has no online because this thing is made based more on Go than the actual previous mainline games and they don't want to create a "meta" for a different game featuring only old Pokémon.

This is still very bizarre.

I think they were making this game only because Nintendo asked them for a "core RPG for Switch" and they didn't want to commit to a main game yet considering they expected the Switch to bomb completely, so this happened.

TPC and Nintendo's relationship is weird. Because I don't see why TPC should have any say in where and how the franchise games are developed at all. Nintendo should just say " new game is on Switch" and that should just be it.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I can't believe Game Freak actually cut the online from their games, what the fuck.

How does Game Freak look at 2018 and see:

-Online gaming is overwhelmingly what mainstream gamers care about, far beyond every other type of game style
-Nintendo is launching an online service they want to promote

And decide

"Let's cut online out of our games and somehow not include online co-op even though it would be super easy to do."

They cut the gameplay, and 3/4ths of the pokemon. online getting cut is the most reasonable cut.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder how many people will buy a Switch and this, coming from Go, that didn't instead get drawn towards a 2/3DS (and then, potentially, towards this).

A Switch is a bigger ask.

I guess what I'm wondering is how much Let's Go is just going to sell to people who would buy the next Pokemon game even if it weren't simplified, and how much its Go-ification can actually help it.

I also wonder, as I said, if the Go support will evolve and grow but the gen 1 remake structure works against that.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
These new Pokemon games are smart. There are going to be fans who don't like them, but that's why they announced a more traditional game for next year.

But there was already a remake. Oh well, this is not the first game getting second remake anyway, DQV and FFIV did pretty well in Japan.
14 years ago.