• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
It keeps going back and forth lol. Why is there so much confusion about this? Nintendo should get ahead of it.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These new Pokemon games are smart. There are going to be fans who don't like them, but that's why they announced a more traditional game for next year.

14 years ago.

Yup. 14 years ago. On GBA. Which many dont even had any ways to play it legally anymore. So the nostalgia will kick in for genwunners. For younger kids though. It will be sad to miss many other newer gen mon.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videogame journalists are so incompetent we don't even know if there's online after a press event.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Let's Go has so few resources put into it that they aren't even including a specific handheld mode for catching Pokemon.

So instead of using the touch screen, you shake the entire system in handheld mode.

Not sure Nintendo is right to be banking a lot on this spinoff Pokemon game (since Pokemon seems to be one of the few games other than Smash that will do giant numbers this year) that Game Freak themselves seems to barely care about at all.

Or you press a button, according to the description on the website.

The practice of catching Pokémon will change dramatically from previous titles. Now you can use your Nintendo Switch's Joy-Con to toss a Poké Ball at your target with one hand, either by pressing a button or just by flicking your wrist. With fewer buttons and intuitive action, it's never been simpler.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
According to GameSpot there is online.

We should wait for an actual confirmation.

The first set of tweets that said no online are what strike me as correct.

All the info they have shared though, hard for me to actually think online will be a thing. If it was in there they would hvae clearly stated it. The wishy washy nature basically means no.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The games do have online and Gamespot is correct.

Yup. 14 years ago. On GBA. Which many dont even had any ways to play it legally anymore. So the nostalgia will kick in for genwunners. For younger kids though. It will be sad to miss many other newer gen mon.
On the other hand, you could also say that these games will put a focus on Pokemon that younger kids likely haven't payed much attention to since the anime among other things focuses on the Pokemon from that newest generation. The anime will probably go back to Kanto as well.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm is the Pokeball a full-featured Joy-con replacement? It clearly has an analog stick but not sure if it is just that and motion?

I'm guessing Nintendo's involvement was partly their HD rumble tech as the point was making it "feel" like the Pokemon was inside?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder how many people will buy a Switch and this, coming from Go, that didn't instead get drawn towards a 2/3DS (and then, potentially, towards this).

A Switch is a bigger ask.

I guess what I'm wondering is how much Let's Go is just going to sell to people who would buy the next Pokemon game even if it weren't simplified, and how much its Go-ification can actually help it.

I also wonder, as I said, if the Go support will evolve and grow but the gen 1 remake structure works against that.
switch might be a bigger ask...if this move didnt make it obvious that the franchise is now moving to switch, they could have easily made this and pokemon quest for the 3DS aswell as switch(and smartphone), especially when its obvious the engine and the game itself has some roots in 3DS hardware. But this is just a big red flashing sign that says buy a switch because thats where we are moving pokemon and any other franchise like animal crossing now. Even the spinoffs

KAORIII

Oct 29, 2017
The most ridiculous thing is that Nintendo says that it's not a spinoff, but we all know it's a spinoff.
This just makes me cry.
I mean, I'm a pokemon fan and I will buy this game but...

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its just the gen 7 remake, like how gen 6 had gen 3 remake and gen 4/5 had gen 2 and how gen 7 now fully succumbs to gen 1 nostalgia
Basically making it a spin off but also a mainline game at the same time.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
switch might be a bigger ask...if this move didnt make it obvious that the franchise is now moving to switch, they could have easily made this and pokemon quest for the 3DS aswell as switch(and smartphone), especially when its obvious the engine and the game itself has some roots in 3DS hardware. But this is just a big red flashing sign that says buy a switch because thats where we are moving pokemon and any other franchise like animal crossing now. Even the spinoffs
Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of:

a) Play Pokemon Go (at launch), want to get into Pokemon console games, buy 2DS/3DS (back then), play Pokemon games, possibly buy Switch for Pokemon games

versus

b) Play Pokemon Go (at launch or sometime before this game), don't buy 2DS/3DS (back then), buy Switch now

The idea being Pokemon Go being, in particular, a gateway now as opposed to back then with Switch versus 3DS price-point considered.

With the further idea being Pokemon Go being a gateway is the reason why the game is shaped like it is.

Laying it out more explicitly, I think:

c) Pokemon Go is still big

d) Pokemon Go compatibility might be attractive

Which sort of helps me build a picture of how it might work in particular now as opposed to back then despite Switch.

Plus Pokemon LGP/E looks pretty nice and advertises itself as super simplified and similar to Go?

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The most ridiculous thing is that Nintendo says that it's not a spinoff, but we all know it's a spinoff.
This just makes me cry.
I mean, I'm a pokemon fan and I will buy this game but...

I see the game as a mainline spin off and not to be confused with the traditional spinoff games like Pokemon Dungeon and the other stuff.

Heck even Pokemon Stadium/Colloseum/Revolution is more spin-off than Let's go Pika/Evee

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
At work and wow I'm seeing some dramatic stuff.
Personally not super interested atm unless local co op is neat

Anyhoo does this help answer "Nintendo has blown their load what will come in
2019" heh

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
At work and wow I'm seeing some dramatic stuff.
Personally not super interested atm unless local co op is neat

Anyhoo does this help answer "Nintendo has blown their load what will come in
2019" heh
Yeah, the moment Pokémon gets its first entry is when the floodgates open for the franchise, too. As such, there will be massive boosts from the franchise going forward, and it will bolster the lineup for multiple years in the Switch' lifetime.

Anyway, now that we know what Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is, what are your expectations for the game's sales? I will stick to my 4.5M prediction.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the moment Pokémon gets its first entry is when the floodgates open for the franchise, too. As such, there will be massive boosts from the franchise going forward, and it will bolster the lineup for multiple years in the Switch' lifetime.

Anyway, now that we know what Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is, what are your expectations for the game's sales? I will stick to my 4.5M prediction.
4.5m in Jp?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LGP and LGE look great. Not necessarily from a core gamer perspective but I can see it appealing to lots of people outside of their usual audience. My girlfriend and I are mainly getting it to play in co-op.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking it's closer to 3rd gen/remakes than new gen sales. It'll depend on how the game really is, as they only revealed its Pokemon Go connection as of now.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
So 2019 will be the big year for Switch.

Smaller revision+price drop.
Animal Crossing, DQXI, traditional/new mainline Pokemon and a new Monster Hunter hitting all in one year... At least that's what I'm expecting.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Pokemon without online training would be insane in 2018.

LGP/LGE are going to really push Switch systems this year. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of the lineup at E3. Smash and Pokemon already make for a compelling second half, but when you add in Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Octopath, and unknown quantities, it's going to be stellar.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

LGP/LGE are going to really push Switch systems this year. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of the lineup at E3. Smash and Pokemon already make for a compelling second half, but when you add in Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Octopath, and unknown quantities, it's going to be stellar.
Don't forget third party games, either: Yokai Watch 4, DQB2, Taiko Drum, and several other titles. The lineup for H2 is very strong (I'd say stronger than last year's H2 by a good bit), so I expect strong sales for Switch.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah I'm not making any definitive predictions yet but this thing is gonna sell so much even heat waves won't stop it.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget third party games, either: Yokai Watch 4, DQB2, Taiko Drum, and several other titles. The lineup for H2 is very strong (I'd say stronger than last year's H2 by a good bit), so I expect strong sales for Switch.

Oh right, Yokai Watch 4 in particular has the potential to be a million seller.

I definitely agree about it being stronger than last year's H2. Last year's second half had Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey for heavy hitters, which are definitely big, but in terms of million seller potential this year has 3 possible titles (Pokemon, Smash, and YW4) versus last year's 2 (Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey). And that's only considering the titles we know about. It's possible that E3 could drop another bomb on us and something like 2D Mario or Tomodachi Life could release this year as well and add another feather to 2018's hat.

brutaka3

Oct 27, 2017
So 2019 will be the big year for Switch.

Smaller revision+price drop.
Animal Crossing, DQXI, traditional/new mainline Pokemon and a new Monster Hunter hitting all in one year... At least that's what I'm expecting.
I expect the same except for the smaller revision. I think it doesn't makes sense. At best the only portable edition that's for now Nintendo Store exclusive will go to regular retailers.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

We've been saying for months, but H2 will be an onslaught.
2d Mario would just be more icing

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We've been saying for months, but H2 will be an onslaught.
2d Mario would just be more icing
If 2D Mario is happening within the next 12 months, then they'd do well to place it in Q1 2019. H2 2018 is stacked as is, and they don't need to stuff it any further with more massive games.

Also talking about 2019: we have a major Pokémon game for holiday 2019, so any other big games (most notably Animal Crossing) probably won't be holidays if they come out. So, we may see a massive game come out in September or even in H1 of 2019 again.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
If 2D Mario is happening within the next 12 months, then they'd do well to place it in Q1 2019. H2 2018 is stacked as is, and they don't need to stuff it any further with more massive games.

Also talking about 2019: we have a major Pokémon game for holiday 2019, so any other big games (most notably Animal Crossing) probably won't be holidays if they come out. So, we may see a massive game come out in September or even in H1 of 2019 again.

Luigis mansion by NLG feels very plausible.
Plus e3 2019 could reveal another monolith game. That's basically a new major release ;)

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Luigis mansion by NLG feels very plausible.
Plus e3 2019 could reveal another monolith game. That's basically a new major release ;)

I was thinking of listing Luigi's Mansion 3 instead of Tomodachi Life in my post, but then I remembered the 3DS remake of the original LM. Not to say the two can't coexist in the same timespan, but I'm not sure Nintendo would do that.

I hope they do at least, lol.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of listing Luigi's Mansion 3 instead of Tomodachi Life in my post, but then I remembered the 3DS remake of the original LM. Not to say the two can't coexist in the same timespan, but I'm not sure Nintendo would do that.

I hope they do at least, lol.
A year apart could be enough.

Somewhat related, one of the bigger shocks to me this entire year was Nintendo having 2 big budget star fox games in development simultaneously.

Oct 26, 2017

Somewhat related, one of the bigger shocks to me this entire year was Nintendo having 2 big budget star fox games in development simultaneously.

I'm pretty sure they didn't and StarFox Racing didn't start development until August 2016 ish.

And I doubt StarFox Racing entered full development until the lead game designer quit/was fired back in September 2017 over their development hell game.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017

Luigi's Mansion 3DS is supposedly 2018, so if they're a year apart LM3 would have to be late 2019.

And I forgot about Star Fox Racing. I wonder if that's a 2018 game (if it's real).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing Switch
Monster Hunter Switch
Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Maker Switch
Dragon Quest XI
Pokemon Gen 8

Do seem plausible for Switch 2019. Throw in Metroid Prime 4 and Star Fox Grand Prix and it would seem 2019 could be filled out pretty nicely.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ninrendo is really weird sometimes. 2018 or 2019 for Pokemon actually meant 2018 and 2019.

Right when we thought they should take a break they continue even stronger.
That's one way to ensure a total domination in Japan I guess, lol.

I'm really worried for Sony and their presence there. I hope they are looking right now for a PS4 portable to release at least in 2019, one that could link to the TV in a way or another. That's the only possibility I could see for them to stay relevant in that region and a way to make MHW portable for example. Making portable revisions at the end of the life cycle of their systems is probably the way to go for them. They for sure need to do something because when PS5 will release there it will have to compete against an unreachable juggernaut otherwise.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's one way to ensure a total domination in Japan I guess, lol.

I'm really worried for Sony and their presence there. I hope they are looking right now for a PS4 portable to release at least in 2019, one that could link to the TV in a way or another. That's the only possibility I could see for them to stay relevant in that region and a way to make MHW portable for example. Making portable revisions at the end of the life cycle of their systems is probably the way to go for them. They for sure need to do something because when PS5 will release there it will have to compete against an unreachable juggernaut otherwise.
PS4 is the best selling console in the world at the moment, and it's on track to one of the best selling consoles of all time. What, exactly, makes you think "they for sure need to do something"?

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
We will never see Sinnoh again. Thanks Masuda. :(

Hmm? Of course we will. From the moment Pokémon USUM was revealed (and confirmed as the last 3DS game to boot), it became clear the Diamond/Pearl remake would be a Gen. 8 game. It was highly unlikely the first game on Switch would be it, because Game Freak always uses the engine of the latest mainline Pokémon games for the remakes:

- Red/Blue remake = Ruby / Sapphire engine
- Gold/Silver = Diamond / Pearl engine
- ORAS = X and Y engine
- Diamond / Pearl remake = Pokémon 2019 engine

Given a new game has already been confirmed for the second half of 2019, I'd say second half of 2020 is when we will see the long-awaited DP remake. This also fits with the usual release "pattern":

- FireRed/LeafGreen = 2004
- HeartGold/SoulSilver = 2009/10 (roughly 6 years)
- ORAS = 2014 (roughly 5 years)
- DP remake = 2020? (roughly 6 years)

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is finished in Japan. "PS4 portable" is impossible in 2019. And you can play all PS4 games on Vita right now, and Vita is dead. No one cares. Sony doesn't have big portable franchises such as AC or Pokemon.
The dead Vita is still selling thousands per week there. So that's something at least. Imagine another portable that's supported without all the Vita nuances. I hope they stay for competition sake.