• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 is the best selling console in the world at the moment, and it's on track to one of the best selling consoles of all time. What, exactly, makes you think "they for sure need to do something"?
In Japan PS4 is nowhere near doing as well as in the rest of the world and it's not like there is much announced for that system to sustain sales in the coming months/years. When PS5 will launch in 2020 at the earliest and if nothing drastic is done by Sony they probably will barely have a presence there. Seriously as things look right now 2019 and 2020 can only appear really ugly for them in that region, a situation that we have never ever seen before.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That's one way to ensure a total domination in Japan I guess, lol.

I'm really worried for Sony and their presence there. I hope they are looking right now for a PS4 portable to release at least in 2019, one that could link to the TV in a way or another. That's the only possibility I could see for them to stay relevant in that region and a way to make MHW portable for example. Making portable revisions at the end of the life cycle of their systems is probably the way to go for them. They for sure need to do something because when PS5 will release there it will have to compete against an unreachable juggernaut otherwise.

Great idea. Wonder how many exclusives Sony will put on it before giving it the double middle finger and moving full on to PS5. I wager 3.

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm? Of course we will. From the moment Pokémon USUM was revealed (and confirmed as the last 3DS game to boot), it became clear the Diamond/Pearl remake would be a Gen. 8 game. It was highly unlikely the first game on Switch would be it, because Game Freak always uses the engine of the latest mainline Pokémon games for the remakes:

- Red/Blue remake = Ruby / Sapphire engine
- Gold/Silver = Diamond / Pearl engine
- ORAS = X and Y engine
- Diamond / Pearl remake = Pokémon 2019 engine

Given a new game has already been confirmed for the second half of 2019, I'd say second half of 2020 is when we will see the long-awaited DP remake.

How cheaply made/lacking in any resources are these games if Game Freak is making HD RPGs in one year.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
So 2019 will be the big year for Switch.

Smaller revision+price drop.
Animal Crossing, DQXI, traditional/new mainline Pokemon and a new Monster Hunter hitting all in one year... At least that's what I'm expecting.
There will surely be another Mario Maker at some point as well.

Imagine a Mario Maker on an actually popular console(and isn't gimped to hell like the 3DS version).

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
They don't need to put exclusives on it if you can download all PS4 games. But I guess maybe that leads to some storage problems...

I believe storage would be the last problem they'd have to solve. By 2019, making a portable ps4 would be impossible. Hell, even making a portable xb1 would be impossible. At best, they would make vita 2 that would be marginally more powerful than a switch.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, it sold 2K last week. What a big hit!

Whan nuances? Sony tried hard with Vita in Japan, but it's a complete failure in the end with ~1/4 of PSP sales and abysmal software sales (its one and only million seller was Minecraft, made my western developers, lol). It was always just a zombie. PSP sold amazing not just because it was a MH machine during the last few years of its cycle, but also because it was a flashy media player - in a pre-smartphone domination era. And Vita bombed hard because no one needs a media player these days. Smartphones killed this aspect in Sony portables. And then reality hit hard: Sony doesn't have any big portable IPs. And never will have.
That's not why Vita failed, Cmon. It's been said numerous times what the main reasons where, and the SD card thing was one of them. They can still come out with one that doesn't have Vita's failures and still compete somehow with good games. Don't tell me Sony can't come up with games for it, plus third party.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
That's not why Vita failed, Cmon. It's been said numerous times what the main reasons where, and the SD card thing was one of them. They can still come out with one that doesn't have Vita's failures and still compete somehow with good games. Don't tell me Sony can't come up with games for it, plus third party.
What Sony games are Japanese clamoring to play?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So, do you guys think there will be a bump in hardware sales following the Pokémon announcement? On amazon, at least, the Switch Neon system went from 8th to 5th since the announcement, so maybe that is suggestive of there being a group of people buying the system in anticipation?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So, do you guys think there will be a bump in hardware sales following the Pokémon announcement? On amazon, at least, the Switch Neon system went from 8th to 5th since the announcement, so maybe that is suggestive of there being a group of people buying the system in anticipation?

The main audience of this Pokémon games is casuals. Casuals don't preorder so early. I think it's going to be a small bump at best.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside my own feelings on the product, the Pokémon announcement's a canny one. Easy, obvious hooks for the mass audience, with a promise that more core games are coming shortly down the road. Really paints a nice picture of the franchise on the Switch.

Hmm? Of course we will. From the moment Pokémon USUM was revealed (and confirmed as the last 3DS game to boot), it became clear the Diamond/Pearl remake would be a Gen. 8 game. It was highly unlikely the first game on Switch would be it, because Game Freak always uses the engine of the latest mainline Pokémon games for the remakes:

- Red/Blue remake = Ruby / Sapphire engine
- Gold/Silver = Diamond / Pearl engine
- ORAS = X and Y engine
- Diamond / Pearl remake = Pokémon 2019 engine

Given a new game has already been confirmed for the second half of 2019, I'd say second half of 2020 is when we will see the long-awaited DP remake. This also fits with the usual release "pattern":

- FireRed/LeafGreen = 2004
- HeartGold/SoulSilver = 2009/10 (roughly 6 years)
- ORAS = 2014 (roughly 5 years)
- DP remake = 2020? (roughly 6 years)
Never mind patterns, look at what Game Freak's actually able to develop. A 2020 Diamond and Pearl remake would be the fifth year in a row that Game Freak's put out a game, and the third in a row they've put out an HD game. It's simply not feasible.

2021 Diamond and Pearl remakes with a 2022 Gen IX sounds about right to me, although I could see the Diamond and Pearl remakes being replaced by a new set of Let's Go titles if they really catch light.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
PS4 is the best selling console in the world at the moment, and it's on track to one of the best selling consoles of all time. What, exactly, makes you think "they for sure need to do something"?
I dont know why people feel to bring up World Sales in MC thread whenever someone mentions how PS4 is not the hottest item there.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
IbPGYG0.gif

Pokémon X And Y Pre-Orders Reach 260,000 Units In Just Two Days

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire saw 239,000 pre-orders within two days.

Moreover, japanese gamers line up up for pre-orders: https://nintendoeverything.com/japa...-pokemon-omega-rubyalpha-sapphire-pre-orders/

5-8% of your total sales made in preorders the first two days after they opened is indeed not the main audience.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
IbPGYG0.gif

Pokémon X And Y Pre-Orders Reach 260,000 Units In Just Two Days

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire saw 239,000 pre-orders within two days.

Moreover, japanese gamers line up up for pre-orders: https://nintendoeverything.com/japa...-pokemon-omega-rubyalpha-sapphire-pre-orders/

Compared to the launch numbers those are tiny, and the new Pokémon games are not aimed at the "core" fanbase that is into competitive playing and such like XY and ORAS were, so I expect even lower relative numbers.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why people feel to bring up World Sales in MC thread whenever someone mentions how PS4 is not the hottest item there.

The statement was relevant to the person he was countering. Creating a new portable would not be a Playstation Japan exclusive project, nor would it make any financial sense regardless of what territory we're discussing.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Probably because Japan is became less relevant for the Sony business perspective and they are more concentrate where they are doing well? Why they should care much more? Maybe they will try some gymnic hardware experiment close to the switch audience, but I don't think Sony will sacrifice more resources just for the sake of the Japan, if things will not improve. They even released the ps4 later if it's not a signal by them about their real consideration of the Japanese market what else should be?

Last edited:

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Probably because Japan is less relevant for the Sony perspective when in the rest of the world they are doing well? Why they should care? Maybe they will try some of more gymnic close to the switch audience, but I don't think Sony care particularly if Japan is gone. They even released the ps4 later.
they care sooo little they pushed Asia exclusivity for Mon Hun World.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
5-8% of your total sales made in preorders the first two days after they opened is indeed not the main audience.
The question that remains is how does that compare to other franchises? If everything only has 5-8% share in the preorders of the first two days, then that means Pokémon is not different from other franchises in that respect.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Can you please name a game with bigger pre-order numbers in Japan after just 2 days? Something tells me such games doesn't exist. Thanks in advance, btw

Can you name a game that sold more than Pokémon XY and SM did first week? It's a huge franchise so preorder will be big, the interesting metric here is how many early preorders there are compared to launch week sales.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Pre-orders of Pokemon are so tiny and the percentage is so low when they start, that is the only game that Media Create shares pre-orders numbers when they open.

Note sarcasm.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

Feeling the need to damage control comes to mind as one possible reason, the wish to deflect from actual Japanese sales in Japanese market and sales thread.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
PS4 will still end up selling about 10 million in Japan, in no way that number is bad, it is when compared to the old days sure but the market is different now.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Pre-orders of Pokemon are so tiny and the percentage is so low when they start, that is the only game that Media Create shares pre-orders numbers when they open.

Note sarcasm.

lol

Well, that whole discussion is a bit pointless imo, as pre-orders aren't opened yet... and I'm pretty sure the original point of discussion was whether the announcement would have an impact on Hardware sales. Answer is: most likely not going to be a big uptick in Switch sales, since you can't pre-order the games yet, and end of May/June isn't really the best period for buying a game console.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo really loves co-op this year.

It will take some months until Pokemon preorders open in Japan. Usually around 3 months before launch.

The price is the expected, ¥5.980.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
So what are we thinking for Let's Go sales? Maybe somewhere in between Ultra Sun and Moon and the original Sun and Moon's?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo really loves co-op this year.
That's the form of gameplay that most benefits from the Switch, given the twin Joycon setup. I'd be very unsurprised if Nintendo leant on local co-op and multiplayer for most games as long as the Switch is a thing.

So what are we thinking for Let's Go sales? Maybe somewhere in between Ultra Sun and Moon and the original Sun and Moon's?

I'd say standard remake levels, which IIRC are higher than USUM's results.

It's the West where Let's Go will bring in new audiences in droves, but I expect interest based on it being a Yellow remake in Japan.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Between local co-op and a focus on the phenomenon that was, and still is, pokémon Go, along with this being the first pokémon game on the Switch, I think they'll do better than SunMoon. My guess at this stage is 4.5M.

That would be about in line with what X/Y sold (numbers courtesy of Gamedatalibrary.com):
Code:
GB    Pokémon Red / Green / Blue    140.074    7.936.360    Nintendo    27/02/1996
GB    Pokémon Gold / Silver    1.425.768    6.088.144    Nintendo    21/11/1999
NDS    Pokémon Diamond / Pearl    1.586.360    5.826.538    Pokémon Co.    28/09/2006
NDS    Pokémon Black / White    2.637.285    5.490.455    Pokémon Co.    18/09/2010
3DS    Pokémon X / Y    2.096.050    4.557.957    Pokémon Co.    12/10/2013
3DS    Pokémon Sun / Moon    1.905.107    3.918.808    Pokémon Co.    18/11/2016

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Pokemon remakes tend to do around 3 million in Japan, that said, leaf green and fire red are the lowest selling remakes, and pikachu edition was on the low side for an enhanced release. I think it will probably do a low 3, high 2 million between the two editions.