• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
It's very likely shipments+digital for Tropical Freeze have passed 200k in Japan. Since it will be a million seller this quarter we'll get detailed numbers in 2 months.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Just a few things:

Switch is not supply constrained this week.
PS4 is not supply constrained this week.
Labo is still at full price.
No heat waves.

Just to pre-emptively get those out of the way.

By the way has Fortnite gained any popularity in Japan? PUBG sold really well for PC game (Steamspy had it over 300k in Japan before they closed down) so you would think there is Battle Royale audience out there.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
On the other hand western AAA games do better than they did last gen (outside of CoD that peaked during PS3 era, still does well though)..

They do better but marginally for the most part, like Fifa, Far Cry, God of War, Battlefield, Uncharted, Quantic Dream titles this week, Red Dead later most likely, Call of Duty has yet to hit its PS3 peak but probably share that market with Battlefield now, Assassin's Creed is massively down as well like everywhere I guess.
On the other hand successful launch are things like Watch Dogs, Rainbow Six, Battlefront Horizon and Destiny which are in the ~300k range (Watch Dogs/Destiny thanks to cross gen) and those who had a sequel went down pretty hard.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
By the way has Fortnite gained any popularity in Japan? PUBG sold really well for PC game (Steamspy had it over 300k in Japan before they closed down) so you would think there is Battle Royale audience out there.

Yeah, I see JHS kids playing it on smartphones quite a bit. It's not at Minecraft level but yeah, it's pretty big.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
You just linked me to the first week of the 2011. In May 2011 PS3 was selling less than PS4 at the moment.
Wasn't it also cheaper than PS4 at that point already? The price hold of PS4 in Japan has been - quite odd actually, I'd have expected them to drop lower by now.

Wonder if we'll get a GTAVI this gen?
Will be interesting to see RDR2 performance in Japan. Although GTA5 was definitely past the time where it had any noticeable impact on hw-sales.

Looking at it the incoming big titles line-up should not be too far from that sales wise, the problem though, as been illustrated for the past few years, is that mid tier titles are dissapearing.
Do we get any tracking in Japan for non-retail releases? Mid-tier is alive and well in DD in the rest of the world - but it's hard to say how it does in places like Japan.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Do you expect them to be massively excited, or do you agree with KtSlime that Gen 1 is not as exciting in Japan as it is elsewhere in the world?

They are going to be hyped if my kids reaction was anything to go by. Most kids neither know nor car what a Gen 1 is (Can I eat it?). But the game looks super cute and might pull more girls in. Most girls I teach don't care for the ultra powerful dinosaur looking Pokemon that a lot of the boys have on their pencil cases but they like Pikachu. A few of the boys might be disappointed that Sun/Moon Pokemon aren't in it but those boys are so into Pokemon they will buy it for sure anyway. If Switch eventually hits a low price-point for a portable only system, It might also bring in the old ladies in my neighborhood who walk around the park like zombies because it has 4 pokestops.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Looking at it the incoming big titles line-up should not be too far from that sales wise, the problem though, as been illustrated for the past few years, is that mid tier titles are dissapearing.

The problem is also that all those games are targeted towards an audience that is already well represented on PS4. World brought some new audience but kids and families are still nowhere to be seen.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They are going to be hyped if my kids reaction was anything to go by. Most kids neither know nor car what a Gen 1 is (Can I eat it?). But the game looks super cute and might pull more girls in. Most girls I teach don't care for the ultra powerful dinosaur looking Pokemon that a lot of the boys have on their pencil cases but they like Pikachu. A few of the boys might be disappointed that Sun/Moon Pokemon aren't in it but those boys are so into Pokemon they will buy it for sure anyway. If Switch eventually hits a low price-point for a portable only system, It might also bring in the old ladies in my neighborhood who walk around the park like zombies because it has 4 pokestops.
Thanks for your answer, will be interesting to see how it develops. I think it's a great observation that the cute art style of the game could do something to pull more kids into the game.

I legit LOL'd at the ladies in your neighbourhood!

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, those old 25-30 old biddies :p

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget Knives Out, the BR mobile game. It's doing pretty well. tho I think aesthetics may hold Fortnite back... I don't know if it's Japan-friendly enough.

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
For PS4 having a few new releases this week, HW didn't really bump up much. Persona Dancing didn't do that great. BotW is close to 1 mil physical and Splatoon 2 will never die. DKC: TF is hanging on.

Oct 27, 2017
BotW will finally cross a million units sold next week that's awesome!
Hmm the new Persona dancing games are not doing great. I'm assuming it's because of the low amount of songs present on each game. Think it was 25 songs each and you have to pay to get the full opening theme last I heard. Granted the Vita audience evaporating is also a big contributor.
Just 25 songs? Yikes.

Doesn't Voez has like +100 songs? PD sounds like a rip off for the price lol

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
05./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 13.473 / 2.336.522 (+7%)

11./07. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit <EDU> (Nintendo) {2018.04.20} (¥6.980) - 7.584 / 174.120 (-7%)

13./08. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) - 6.099 / 997.967 (+7%)

15./09. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} (¥5.980) - 4.302 / 1.730.169 (-7%)

+7-7+7-7
SECRET CODE

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It depends on context? PS4 already had all its big guns blow out there. Except for sudden big phenomena like MH happen again+price cut, I had hard time seeing it hit that 10 million there as this number will not rise much as much as it will probably drop.
After FFXIII, what big gun did PS3 have?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not to defend Atlus, but please can we stop directly comparing the number of songs in rhythm games? Do you guys seriously can't spot the difference between this and this?

"GTAV is only 81 km2, Minecraft is 3600000000 km2, GTAV is such a rip off".

Oct 27, 2017
You mean like P4D which had the same amount of songs at launch?
Yes, and that's why this game is underperforming. Around the same number of songs, minus the story mode, no wonder why it did have a lackluster FW. People expect more out of sequels.

I know Atlus loves to milk their fanbase, but at least they could just release a Persona Project Dancing or whatever and cram all the songs in one game.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, and that's why this game is underperforming. Around the same number of songs, minus the story mode, no wonder why it did have a lackluster FW. People expect more out of sequels.

I know Atlus loves to milk their fanbase, but at least they could just release a Persona Project Dancing or whatever and cram all the songs in one game.
Nobody said Atlus are not milking. Sure they are, but the number of songs comparison still doesn't make sense.

Also, Project Diva X only has 30 songs, including 2 recycled.

Last edited:

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ps4 still has almost the same price as the switch. No wonder it cant pull better numbers.

Dolgan

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the sales of Persona Dancing, I think it's only fair to consider sales of the Triple/Twin Pack as 2 units (like we did with the Pokémon double pack). I mean, technically there are 3 (?) games in the pack and the price is more than double than the regular. That should put the games at around 113k. Still not great, though. I think they might make up the lost sales, if the DLC takes off. Not sure how the chances for that are, though.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This week should tell you that all these new games coming to PS4, would perform much better on the Switch in Japan. I hope japanese third parties are realizing that.

PS4 sales barely moved despite all these new releases.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After FFXIII, what big gun did PS3 have?

PS3 had multiple middle ground game keep pushing PS3. While PS4 right now had blow out most of all its big gun but with no middle ground game pushing the platform like in the past. The rest older franchise had been showing decline on PS4 too. So, it's future is not as bright if you ask me here.

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Future Tone is a giant collection of old tracks.
Yes, but they crammed them all in one release with their original Arcade BG videos. Plus the costumes and whatnot.

Look, I'm not trying to be obnoxious. I understand that the Persona spinoffs are fansercive-y games. But, at least for me and, looking at the sales numbers for the Japanese public too, their value proposition is kind of poor. Especially when they released 2 games and one re-release at the same time.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS3 had multiple middle ground game keep pushing PS3. While PS4 right now had blow out most of all its big gun but with no middle ground game pushing the platform like in the past. The rest older franchise had been showing decline on PS4 too. So, it's future is not as bright if you ask me here.
How do you define middle ground? Games like DMC, God Eater, From's new IP, REmake2 are not middle ground? And we still have FFVIIR (which we will find out in two weeks).

And we all know how slow Japan is. PS4 can totally get a new Persona and a new Dragon Quest.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
They do better but marginally for the most part, like Fifa, Far Cry, God of War, Battlefield, Uncharted, Quantic Dream titles this week, Red Dead later most likely, Call of Duty has yet to hit its PS3 peak but probably share that market with Battlefield now, Assassin's Creed is massively down as well like everywhere I guess.
On the other hand successful launch are things like Watch Dogs, Rainbow Six, Battlefront Horizon and Destiny which are in the ~300k range (Watch Dogs/Destiny thanks to cross gen) and those who had a sequel went down pretty hard.

Actually AC hasn't really seen decline in Japan. Especially if you count digital discount sales for Unity and Black Flag (with those they are second and third best selling AC games in Japan). Origins also did pretty much in line with original launch editions of II, Revelations and III. II went to double its sales with bargain editions though.

Yeah, I see JHS kids playing it on smartphones quite a bit. It's not at Minecraft level but yeah, it's pretty big.

Cool. I guess in Japan though with people being more comfortable on playing exclusively on mobile it will not boost PS4 hardware that much (like in west).

Wasn't it also cheaper than PS4 at that point already? The price hold of PS4 in Japan has been - quite odd actually, I'd have expected them to drop lower by now.

During spring 2011 PS3 had the same price point as PS4 currently (30k yen). It got 5k yen price cut during fall 2011 though to 25k yen. That was pretty much final price of PS3.

The problem is also that all those games are targeted towards an audience that is already well represented on PS4. World brought some new audience but kids and families are still nowhere to be seen.

You can sell to the same audience though as every year new age group hits gaming age. Reason why FIFA and COD are the biggest system sellers for PS4 every year despite logically thinking that everyone buying those games would own the system. PS3 coasted years in Japan on the same franchises hitting the same demographics.

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
A list of >500k titles released post May 2011 on PS3

Wonder if we'll get a GTAVI this gen?
Resident Evil Remake 2 might reignite the RE sales somehow, RE8 will probably be PS5 or cross gen.
The age of musou selling that high is over and there's not an IP which is as huge as OP was back then.
I guess we can still see a new IP selling fairly decently like this in Japan
We have yet to see the next Tales, though I don't think it will reach that level of sales unless there's a huge shakeup and it's a PS4 exclusive, both seem unlinkely
Yakuza is down severely
A good Call of Duty title might not be too far from that
Gundam VS was already released and a huge failure (though it was mostly due to the game rather than the PS4)

+ KH3

-Doubt it. Take 2 will most likely ride the remainder of the 8th gen consoles out with RDR2
-Briefly. It will do better in the West
-Musou is dead. Koei Tecmo refuses to acknowledge this
-New Tales game will do decently in Japan. The Switch version might do better in the long run
-nuff said
-I would not hold my breath on this
-Bamco, baby, what are you doing???

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You can sell to the same audience though as every year new age group hits gaming age. Reason why FIFA and COD are the biggest system sellers for PS4 every year despite logically thinking that everyone buying those games would own the system. PS3 coasted years in Japan on the same franchises hitting the same demographics.

1. In Japan, fertility rate is really low so demographic groups below 40-50 are shrinking. Year after year, the number of people entering the young adult phase is smaller and smaller.
2. FIFA and COD are mainstream IP in Western market; they sell A LOT to kids and to casual people (especially FIFA). You can't compare games like FIFA and COD to Yakuza and Musou.
3. Said yearly franchises are also sustained by people that have yet to buy a PS4 and were playing the same games on PS3.

Also, PS3 relied on the same franchises hitting the same demographics and indeed wasn't able to go much above 10m.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We're practically in June and Switch only leads PS4 by 100k. Who would have thought?

I'm really not sure what your point is. Both of these systems sales thus far have been extremely predictable aside from bizarre PS4 shortages and maaaayybe lack of HW boost for Switch from Labo.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
We're practically in June and Switch only leads PS4 by 100k. Who would have thought?

51OpEGSD%2BEL.jpg

I think it's surprising how early PS4 dropped back to its standard and lower to be fair.