• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Interesting tidbit from the PR for Pokémon: Let's GO (spotted by Joe):

Pokémon also announced that the next introduction to its popular core RPG series, which was teased last year at E3, will arrive in late 2019 on Nintendo Switch for the first time.

So the game teased last year at E3 =!= not Let's Go. Wasn't expecting this, tbh, but it makes sense when you think about it. Let's Go definitely looks like something that started at about the same time Pokémon GO was released.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

So the game teased last year at E3 =!= not Let's Go. Wasn't expecting this, tbh, but it makes sense when you think about it. Let's Go definitely looks like something that started at about the same time Pokémon GO was released.

Eh? I thought we know taht already from the stream this morning?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting the impression that Atlus are gonna have to reconsider or expand to a Switch version if they're still insistent on putting out Catherine Full Body on the Vita.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so it's not directly Japan related but it was communicated that they're planning to ship 600k Pokémon Let's Go day one in France (300k each) and that's bigger than any 3DS Pokémon game from what I recall.
Which makes me think that Nintendo has probably big expectations for this game, even in Japan.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
BotW will reach 1 million next week, awesome!!!

Also, that's a lot of different Persona packs. Will the PS4 get any game that will move consoles again? Seems like it's stuck with sub 20k units. Hopefully a price cut or new hardware bundle is on the way.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting the impression that Atlus are gonna have to reconsider or expand to a Switch version if they're still insistent on putting out Catherine Full Body on the Vita.
They won't do this at all. Atlus will only make cross-company multiplats the day their finances go to hell.

Okay so it's not directly Japan related but it was communicated that they're planning to ship 600k Pokémon Let's Go day one in France (300k each) and that's bigger than any 3DS Pokémon game from what I recall.
Which makes me think that Nintendo has probably big expectations for this game, even in Japan.
Western nostalgia for gen 1 isn't a good representative for japanese sales. I think KtSlime made good points in the last thread: there's not so much nostalgia there as Pokémon is more present in pop media, kids love new monsters and FRLG are the worst performing remakes.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

https://www.resetera.com/threads/an-all-new-core-series-pokémon-rpg-title-is-coming-to-switch-in-late-2019.45650/page-10#post-8516426

Essentially

Let's GO -> core RPG for everyone
XY/SM/every game so far/2019 -> core RPG

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

OMG. Thats pure crazy lol. I had the feeling if TPC, Nintendo and Gamefreak successfully bring the Poke Go audience to the game there. It will easily be the biggest Pokemon game ever lol.

Actually....... i don't really see any request for more Catherine lol. I had hard time seeing it sold well anywhere right now.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

The userbase should be slighty under 2m so they are banking on a Switch-like attach-rate. SMO and Mario Kart were above 50% last year.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do we have numbers for other Pokémon games so we can make a direct comparison?

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
The Persona dancing decline can't just be explained by the change in userbase imo. P5 was a big hit, and there's currently an anime airing, that should be enough to get at least a reasonable amount of people in a spinoff, even if they're not interested in P3D.

If people aren't buying the game, it's probably because they don't think it's worth it. The (innovative and interesting for the genre if not exactly any good) story mode has been replaced, the track list number is kind of low, the dlc is incredibly expensive for what it is and there's going to be a ton of it... the game itself really isn't doing any favours, even if what's there is high quality.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western nostalgia for gen 1 isn't a good representative for japanese sales. I think KtSlime made good points in the last thread: there's not so much nostalgia there as Pokémon is more present in pop media, kids love new monsters and FRLG are the worst performing remakes.

I'm not sure I'd take FRLG as a decent comparison for LGP/E- the reinvention present in the Switch games is far more radical, and the Go integration and Pokéball peripheral offer new entry points that the original remakes never had. Go wasn't the all-conquering monster that it was in the West in Japan, but it was still a big hit, and converting some of those people into the RPGs may well bear fruit.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Persona dancing decline can't just be explained by the change in userbase imo. P5 was a big hit, and there's currently an anime airing, that should be enough to get at least a reasonable amount of people in a spinoff, even if they're not interested in P3D.

If people aren't buying the game, it's probably because they don't think it's worth it. The (innovative and interesting for the genre if not exactly any good) story mode has been replaced, the track list number is kind of low, the dlc is incredibly expensive for what it is and there's going to be a ton of it... the game itself really isn't doing any favours, even if what's there is high quality.
this all + bunch of SKUs confusing consumers or even making some avoid the games because they're not "content full" alone.

I'm not sure I'd take FRLG as a decent comparison for LGP/E- the reinvention present in the Switch games is far more radical, and the Go integration and Pokéball peripheral offer new entry points that the original remakes never had. Go wasn't the all-conquering monster that it was in the West in Japan, but it was still a big hit, and converting some of those people into the RPGs may well bear fruit.
I'm saying you can't compare western reception to Japan. We know how different these markets are. I don't think Japan was starving for more gen 1... anyway, I said last thread that I expect remake numbers (3M~).

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree that we can't put the performance of Pokemon Lets Go Jp as the same as outside of Jp at all there. As we know. Outside of JP, Pokemon Go is phenomena while when it hit Japan it is a success for sure but not a phenomena. I can see Lets Go did like US and UM in Japan but globally it will beat that numbers easily.

Yeah, I get the distinct feeling that Catherine isn't going to over as well the second time around, regardless of the platforms it's on.

Hell, i actually had a feeling that Persona Q2 fate is also going to be bad there. I don't see many Persona fans going back to 3DS at all there. Atlus is soo bad at handling their recent Persona IP there.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I see a lot of negative PS4 comments there.
I remember that last week some people talked about >20k, personally i wasn't even sure it would have been up WoW.

Is clear that PS4 in Japan is not a success and there is no Monster Hunter that can change that, but i think people keep having some "good" expectations and every times it doesn't sell amazing numbers people are disappointed.

it's the 5th year in the market, so obvius is struggling withouth a pricedrop. And yes, i know this is Media Create and Japan, but you can't not talk about overall worldwide performance of the console, which are huge as we all know, so Sony doesn't even try that much with Japan...

In short, i think people should start to not have any big expectations for PS4 in Japan. I know people are still amazed by the Monster Hunter boost early this year and think there are still hopes for some better numbers, but don't scream "doom" for those weekly sales After all that's also a bad moment of the year...

PS4 need a pricedrop tho, that's for sure.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I remember that last week some people talked about >20k, personally i wasn't even sure it would have been up WoW.

I agree with you basically -it is what it is- but the reaction and analysis in February when World fever was in full swing painted a different picture of PS4 2018 in Japan.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Is clear that PS4 in Japan is not a success and there is no Monster Hunter that can change that, but i think people keep having some "good" expectations and every times it doesn't sell amazing numbers people are disappointed.

it's the 5th year in the market, so obvius is struggling withouth a pricedrop. And yes, i know this is Media Create and Japan, but you can't not talk about overall worldwide performance of the console, which are huge as we all know, so Sony doesn't even try that much with Japan...

In short, i think people should start to not have any big expectations for PS4 in Japan. I know people are still amazed by the Monster Hunter boost early this year and think there are still hopes for some better numbers, but don't scream "doom" for those weekly sales After all that's also a bad moment of the year...

I think that the disapointement comes from the fact that it was a good week release-wise for the PS4 and yet HW didn't move accordingly.

Given the release schedule, the next weeks/months will be very difficult.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Outside of simultaneously launching in Japan, what could make The ps4 more appealing in Japan??

It's powerful without being overly bulky or expensive.
It has massive third party support from Japan (FF, MH, KH, persona, RE, etc.)
It has the typical first party support (Golf, GT)

Their last portable was a flop.

I honestly have no idea what Sony can do to perform better in Japan.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Hum, do you have anything specific in mind?

Do you mean the hardware numbers or the software numbers for the single SKU of P3D/P5D?
Because if it's the latter the single SKU of P3D P5D didn't even chart on PS4.
My fault
I read the numbers wrong
I thought the top #3 & #4 entries were P3D & P4D for PS4.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Sony platforms are slower burners; PSP and PS3 started to sell better during the 3rd-4th year in the market. PS4 didn't receive any price cut but it received plenty of initiatives like Slim & Pro and bundles with free games.

I think we're at the point where we should admit that PS4 is not a desirable mainstream product that will always be limited to a very specific userbase: male, young adults.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Selfish, but happy about Persona flop. I bet it'll be very cheap in a month or so. Hopefully the special edition will still be available too.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean.......does having a price drop will suddenly rise its baseline into like 30k a week to compensate for that lost of revenue? I don't think it will even do more that 20k a week there. And with little big title coming to PS4 for quite some time it would probably keep dropping there.

Price Drop must be done together with big title drop. If not, it will not really done anything in Long term there.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
YSO predictors were burnt from Persona Dancing. Retailers better weren't as enthusiastic as them.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'll admit I expected a bigger bump on the PS4 side. There had three big releases and they really spent the money to get the word out there for Detroit. I fear it'll be a long summer.

You are delusional then.

These are great numbers for a game like Detroit.
It's good when you only compare it to the previous QD games, but I don't remember them getting a big marketing push, so I'm not sure if that comparison is enough to weigh its level of success.