• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
UMVC3 was released less than a year after MVC3 too.
Capcom is not gonna sacrifice $60 Expansion for $20 DLC.
Even if they only sell half MHW numbers, they will still make more profit doing expansion than DLC.

Will American fans buy a $60 expansion that barely changes the game?

Probably not.

And western fans are most of the Monster Hunter fanbase at this point.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So Capcom will get away with releasing the same game with a little additional content for $60 in America and Europe?

You know, the places that are the dominant market for Monster Hunter now.

Nope and that is why I think it is worth discussing about a MH title for Switch in 2019.

I am just not seeing another MH game in 2019 for PS4/X1.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
It is doing fine currently, nothing mind-melting or anything. The future still looks bright and there is no current reason to worry about potentially "underwhelming" sales as you put it. You keep concern trolling about the Switch and it gets old.

Tell me about it. lol

It becomes obvious the longer it goes on.

Oct 26, 2017
Nope and that is why I think it is worth discussing about a MH title for Switch in 2019.

I am just not seeing another MH game in 2019 for PS4/X1.

... Why not just instead of Monster Hunter being a yearly franchise, just make a lot of DLC for Monster Hunter World so it sells for years and years?

Like every PS4/Xbox One AAA multiplayer game.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
UMVC3 was released less than a year after MVC3 too.
Capcom is not gonna sacrifice $60 Expansion for $20 DLC.
Even if they only sell half MHW numbers, they will still make more profit doing expansion than DLC.
UMvC3 was $40, not $60, and it still bombed hard selling less than 20% of the original release.

There's also the part where the profit margin from digital games is far higher than it is from physical releases, so selling physical at $60 and digital at $35~40 will net about the same profit(or physical $50, digital $30). Their best bet is to have a beefy enough update to be able to justify the DLC price and it wouldn't matter much to them if people pick up the DLC or physical re-release.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
... Why not just instead of Monster Hunter being a yearly franchise, just make a lot of DLC for Monster Hunter World so it sells for years and years?

well a difference between MH and Overwatch, Seige, etc
is that those are already on their big systems. PS4, Xbox, PC. Their bases are covered in terms of selling potential.

at the moment Monster Hunter is a different because there isn't a new iteration on all its biggest systems.
I doubt Monster Hunter would go the entire switch life ignoring its 2nd biggest potential selling platform, and SKU. in favor solely of dlc, etc
that'd be weird.

but who knows. MH isn't in my mindshare because there's nothing on the horizon.

my 2 cents. And I'm out.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit late to make MHW a good GAAS. All I've heard is that the post launch support has been rather poor. Not sure how you can justify dlc vs a new release.
Like, maybe they can see G as an expansion as well as a stand-alone release like Arcade edition.

Just don't see a scenario where it's either or. Capcom made like 2 spin offs on 3DS with expansions while working on world.
Seems odd to keep pushing it

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Knewing how Capcom works these days and how Sony always worked, I doubt that the next interation will come to the Switch.

Probably their GaaS model will shoot them in their foot (lol) and probably the next versions will come as DLC's ala Street Fighter V / Arcade Edition. But for now, MHW smashed the expectations, but sank faster than I was expecting.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there are rumors for any those.
The port studio "rumor" came from the president of a port studio saying they wanted to do it.
MHXX PS4 makes no sense. They didn't even want to localize it a few months ago

It comes from someone on their patreon-funded podcast claiming that Capcom went around looking to outsource MHW for a Dev to port it to Switch. Don't ask me how that outsourced Dev will figure out how to optimise MHW on Switch using an internal engine that lacks documentation for support considering Capcom Vancouver doesn't even use it.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much it.
You really don't believe the new barebones price cut Switch won't sell to people in Japan?

Hmm...

As the Switch gets lower pricepoint sku's during its lifetime...and it will...there will be many many households with multiple Switch products. Not really worried about that either.

Will some households buy multiple Switches when it gets cheaper? Sure. Will as many as with traditional handhelds that can't be used as home consoles? No. Handheld numbers are always inflated by more individuals owning one vs households owning one. That also means the limit of what home console can sell is lower despite just as many people using one. You can see it from attach rates. 3DS sold more hardware than any successful home console in Japan (NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2) but had lower software sales than all of those. Actually if I remember right even all mighty DS doesn't have sw record in japan. At least NES shipped more sw.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will some households buy multiple Switches when it gets cheaper? Sure. Will as many as with traditional handhelds that can't be used as home consoles? No. Handheld numbers are always inflated by more individuals owning one vs households owning one. That also means the limit of what home console can sell is lower despite just as many people using one. You can see it from attach rates. 3DS sold more hardware than any successful home console in Japan (NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2) but had lower software sales than all of those. Actually if I remember right even all mighty DS doesn't have sw record in japan. At least NES shipped more sw.

Very few people don't use the Switch as a handheld, though.

And as the system gets cheaper and starts getting adopted more by younger gamers (it really hasn't yet), it's use as a portable will only grow

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Btw, Terra Battle 2 is gonna be shut down

Haha. Gooch is going to need to look for some money from the big 3 anytime soon lol.

Considering Nintendo aim to make one household own multiple Switch. I think the intention is quite clear there on what Nintendo is aiming there.

And this is not counting how based on the data that Nintendo shows, the handheld usage is at least 50 50 between handheld and consoles. So there is a huge market there.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He said that he was gonna make a console game? I doubt he could direct one these days
Yep, and it was a Terra Battle based one. After this news though I highly doubt that it's going to happen, sadly.

At two million downloads, the campaign promised that Mistwalker would "start development on a console version of Terra Battle."

"I'm not going to break any promises and I did promise that that was going to happen," he tells Polygon. "So at some point, it will happen."
https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/8/7/16061580/hironobu-sakaguchis-six-year-eight-game-plan

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling and goading after a previous warning
Tell me about it. lol

It becomes obvious the longer it goes on.
It's amusing to see how fascinated you are by my person, treating me with so much respect that talking solely about me is enough to warrant a post. I appreciate that but again that's not mutual though, not at all, sorry ;).

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
What the fuck.

I can't say I'm shocked considering how the changes made to the gameplay formula basically just made it worse, but I thought Mistwalker would just power through.

I'm glad I stopped playing shortly after launch.
Mistwalker probably would if it were just up to them. This being a Silicon Studio collaboration suggests that the business proposition has fallen apart. The fact that the NA an JP services were different apps to begin with this time introduced these problems. Terra Battle was a very nicely handled single app/service game like Granblue. All regions use the same servers and can select the language they want. Terra Battle 2 was like every other mobile game with actual regions, and hence it meant that a poorly performing region could get shut down like this.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Their main team should make Monster Hunter World 2 so it can be cross gen and release early 2021.
Capcom is in deep shit if their next main MH game is releasing in 2021.
And western fans are most of the Monster Hunter fanbase at this point.
Western fans making up most of the MHW userbase doesn't mean they make up most of the fanbase.
Not with one game and with a low retention.

Because to do that, they'd need a better business model
MH World already has tons of DLC at various prices, and it doesn't seem like it's doing particularly well.
As said above, tons of people (hardcore fans or not) have also stopped playing the game. So if the content is not engaging enough to keep playing, those same players won't buy DLC either.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Mistwalker probably would if it were just up to them. This being a Silicon Studio collaboration suggests that the business proposition has fallen apart. The fact that the NA an JP services were different apps to begin with this time introduced these problems. Terra Battle was a very nicely handled single app/service game like Granblue. All regions use the same servers and can select the language they want. Terra Battle 2 was like every other mobile game with actual regions, and hence it meant that a poorly performing region could get shut down like this.
That makes sense. I didn't know about the different regions thing - I thought the game was set up like the original. The Japanese app is still alive, then? And did the story ever reach some kind of conclusion?

I was just about to @ you for you to chime in, haha.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
That makes sense. I didn't know about the different regions thing - I thought the game was set up like the original. The Japanese app is still alive, then? And did the story ever reach some kind of conclusion?

I was just about to @ you for you to chime in, haha.
Yes, for now the JP service is continuing, no announcements about termination so far. Chapter 12 just came out like a few weeks ago. It feels like the pace of content is still pretty slow, especially given how Terra Battle launched with a complete story and ending, while TB2 is serialized like most mobile games. Another mistake maybe. I remember before launch Sakaguchi said they had a year of stories planned for the first season or something. It's unclear how many chapters that is, since they have been facing a lot of delays. Lol.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont think what IWMTB saying is wrong though? We right now know that Cac had little resources.

Thats why they literally need to choose on what product to focus more there. Considering how much they are behind on Switch development, it is simply a much better stands for them to just focus on making MHW 2 for PS4 and Xbone for fast release maybe in 2020. While they can just throw Switch audience some bones like late port.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are probably many games Capcom should cancel DMC5 in favor of, but Capcom probably wants to make DMC5 soooo.

It's like how Pikmin keeps getting made despite those EPD resources being spent on anything else.
Its not like pikmin games sell like shit, i mean they dont break the bank but they arent as niche as you think they are

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
It's amusing to see how fascinated you are by my person, treating me with so much respect that talking solely about me is enough to warrant a post. I appreciate that but again that's not mutual though, not at all, sorry ;).

I don't care about your person, but your arguments are nonsense since they need to be to keep up your concern trolling that is laser focused on Switch's hardware sales in Japan while goalpost moving everything that comes your way from software sales to the price of the console.

Speaking of nonsense, seeing as you read my post and I'm not on ignore, did you finally find a counterexample to the following post you conveniently ignored last time since it doesn't fit your outlandish view that Japanese third parties delayed greenlighting games for Switch because Switch was constantly out of stock in Japan?

It's funny how no real life examples are ever given to actually support that.

What happened in reality:
- Japanese publishers waited on Switch to see how it would sell.
- Switch exploded out of the gate worldwide in March.
- Switch runs into shortages from May.
- Reported October 30, 2017:
Hirokazu Hamamura, chief executive of Japanese videogame-magazine publisher Gzbrain Inc., said some big games may not come until 2019 because publishers didn't expect the Switch to do so well and got a late start.

- Even Bandai Namco's President admits he didn't see the success coming and decided to put more resources into putting games on Switch.

Can't find any real-life examples of the opposite occuring:
- Japanese developers waited on Switch to see how it would sell.
- Switch exploded out of the gate worldwide in March.
- Switch runs into shortages from May.
- Reports that third parties are displeased with the shortages and are delaying putting their games on Switch.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I can delete the app now lmao.
What a trainwreck this was, they were supposed to reboot the app this year but I guess this won't concern the NA market.
I was gonna try Terra Battle 2 but my friends introduced me to play princess connect, then I kinda forgot about it, the community was small also

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Very few people don't use the Switch as a handheld, though.

And as the system gets cheaper and starts getting adopted more by younger gamers (it really hasn't yet), it's use as a portable will only grow

Oh absolutely but not to the degree of pure portable consoles.

Considering Nintendo aim to make one household own multiple Switch. I think the intention is quite clear there on what Nintendo is aiming there.

And this is not counting how based on the data that Nintendo shows, the handheld usage is at least 50 50 between handheld and consoles. So there is a huge market there.

They can say what they want but as it can be used as legit home console some will use it as home console (and so will not buy extra units). And this really isn't even that negative thing. Software sales are the more important metric than hw sales and it should sell more sw than 3DS.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care about your person, but your arguments are nonsense since they need to be to keep up your concern trolling that is laser focused on Switch's hardware sales in Japan while goalpost moving everything that comes your way from software sales to the price of the console.

Speaking of nonsense, seeing as you read my post and I'm not on ignore, did you finally find a counterexample to the following post you conveniently ignored last time since it doesn't fit your outlandish view that Japanese third parties delayed greenlighting games for Switch because Switch was constantly out of stock in Japan?
Seeing the level of aggressiveness of your posts I don't see how to have a nice discussion with you. Calling each other opinion nonsense and other inflammatory takes every two sentences is not my perception of an interesting debate. So as you don't seem to be able to do anything but that in your posts I'm just not interested to read what you have to say. You also seem to be so sure about your own "truth" that it wouldn't lead anywhere for sure. You aren't asking for a debate just to impose your point of view. Let's ignore each other that will be better for everyone.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The problem with the Switch being a portable with multiple units in a household is that it's still quite a bulky thing. The dock is the perfect place to dump it when you're home, but when you can only hold one Switch at a time on the dock, it doesn't feel as easy to store. It also holds charge pretty poorly because the games are much more powerful, so with a family sharing a single dock, I can see it feeling inconvenient.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with the Switch being a portable with multiple units in a household is that it's still quite a bulky thing. The dock is the perfect place to dump it when you're home, but when you can only hold one Switch at a time on the dock, it doesn't feel as easy to store. It also holds charge pretty poorly because the games are much more powerful, so with a family sharing a single dock, I can see it feeling inconvenient.

....just buy extra charger? Like how most people had multiple tablets at home?

They can say what they want but as it can be used as legit home console some will use it as home console (and so will not buy extra units). And this really isn't even that negative thing. Software sales are the more important metric than hw sales and it should sell more sw than 3DS.

I actually feel that allowing it to be used as home consoles will add to its audience rather than decreasing its sales potential there. By allowing it as home consoles would mean that home consoles purist will also buy Switch there while for handheld audience, when the price is cheap enough will be able to buy each switch for all its family member.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
....just buy extra charger? Like how most people had multiple tablets at home?
I think having multiple tablets at home is a good example. It's something that is pretty uncommon compared to smartphones. People who have multiple tablets at home also tend to be those who need them for work. Having multiple tablets just for entertainment is not the norm for a family household in my experience. In the context of Japan, I don't even think tablets are that popular, period.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I think having multiple tablets at home is a good example. It's something that is pretty uncommon compared to smartphones. People who have multiple tablets at home also tend to be those who need them for work. Having multiple tablets just for entertainment is not the norm for a family household in my experience. In the context of Japan, I don't even think tablets are that popular, period.
Not sure about Japan, but cheap Android/Fire Tablets seem to have gained a lot of foothold in family households in NA. They sell for as low as $50 in the US, so it's very affordable for parents to buy as birthday/Christmas gifts. Basing this on anecdotal evidence, but it doesn't seem uncommon for even low income families to have multiple tablets.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually feel that allowing it to be used as home consoles will add to its audience rather than decreasing its sales potential there. By allowing it as home consoles would mean that home consoles purist will also buy Switch there while for handheld audience, when the price is cheap enough will be able to buy each switch for all its family member.

When do you anticipate this happening?

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the level of aggressiveness of your posts I don't see how to have a nice discussion with you. Calling each other opinion nonsense and other inflammatory takes every two sentences is not my perception of an interesting debate. So as you don't seem to be able to do anything but that in your posts I'm just not interested to read what you have to say.

Unsurprisingly, you make up things the moment you are confronted about the stuff you spew.

The hilarious thing is that you claim you want to have a nice discussion when all you ever do is concern troll that whenever someone rebuts your claim, you somehow throw a paragraph of random words at a wall and expect that it will create something coherent but instead ends up doing nothing to rebut what the other person said and at the end of it you try to make sure you're not wrong about your concern trolling by moving goalposts no matter what the other person's rebuttal is about your claims.

You also seem to be so sure about your own "truth" that it wouldn't lead anywhere for sure. You aren't asking for a debate just to impose your point of view.

This is so ironic coming from you. You kept claiming that Japanese third parties delayed greenlighting games for Switch because of hardware shortages that despite people having facts to rebut your claims, you either ignore them or do the above mentioned with moving goalposts by throwing a bunch of random words at a wall.

And speaking of "imposing your point of view", you haven't stopped going on about Switch's hardware sales in Japan. Despite anyone arguing with you about how it's not the end all be all because of how its software sales are, or the price of the console, or how it's making more money for Nintendo than the 3DS could, or that Switch hardware still sold within Nintendo's forecasts even after revising it twice since last FY. You still keep coming in to the media create thread every week to harp on about how Switch hardware sales are behind 3DS despite everything else surrounding the Switch.

Let's ignore each other that will be better for everyone.

Convenient for you, like how you conveniently want to avoid having to rebut my post about rebutting your claims of Japanese third parties delaying greenlighting games for Switch because of shortages.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
GEO Stores: Week 22, 2018 (May 28 - Jun 03)

01./01. [PS4] Dark Souls Remastered <Dark Souls \ Dark Souls: Artorias of the Abyss> <RPG> (From Software) {2018.05.24} (¥4.800)
02./02. [PS4] Detroit: Become Human # <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2018.05.25} (¥6.900)
03./00. [PS4] BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2018.05.31} (¥5.800)
04./04. [NSW] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.05.03} (¥5.980)
05./05. [PS4] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 <SPT> (Konami) {2018.04.26} (¥7.980)
06./08. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980)
07./00. [PS4] Full Metal Panic! Fight: Who Dares Wins # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.05.31} (¥8.200)
08./11. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980)
09./00. [NSW] Liar Princess and the Blind Prince <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2018.05.31} (¥6.980)
10./13. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies <ACT> (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} (¥5.980)

Top 10

NSW - 5
PS4 - 5

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Don't we have an updated number of people working at Game Freak anyway ? Shouldn't be too hard to confirm or deny that info.

Game Freak has 143 employees as of April of this year. Though that's only for full-time (and contract) employees only. Not sure where the 300 numbers comes from, but I doubt they have half their total workforce as temp. workers. Must be the total number of people working on the games.

https://www.gamefreak.co.jp/company/about.html

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad for Dark Souls. And actually, I was really surprised to see figures for the Steam version as well. Didn't think it would sell as well as it did. I guess people are still thirsty for new Souls releases.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Of course Capcom should release a Game of the Year edition of Monster Hunter World when they finish releasing the DLC.

But saying "MHWG is probably H1 2019" implied to me that MHWG would be a "new game" instead of just a Game of the Year... Capcom should clearly release DLC for World before 2019.

They should be making 2018 DLC. They should be making lots of DLC for Monster Hunter and as of now, they clearly aren't doing a good job at all with the DLC, but they should be adjusting to make more DLC for Monster Hunter World.
G releases aren't exactly GOTY versions. They're more like full revisions and expansions, 1.5 versions more or less. Looking at how Capcom is approaching SFV I think it's pretty likely that MHWG will be both a full priced priced stand alone release but also for the first time a dlc expansion to the current World. And it won't be cheap, probably $29.99 minimum as dlc.

"Why not both" assumes Capcom has the resources to do both while making Monster Hunter World 2 for early 2021

Not sure they do.
Resources aren't an issue when you can just do what Capcom did for World: outsource like crazy. Have you looked at World's credits roll? Even Bandai Namco worked on it!

This vague "resources" argument against a Gen 5 Switch game existing is just as dumb now as when Psychomantis desperately tried to sell it months ago. I'd probably move on if I were you.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
G releases aren't exactly GOTY versions. They're more like full revisions and expansions, 1.5 versions more or less. Looking at how Capcom is approaching SFV I think it's pretty likely that MHWG will be both a full priced priced stand alone release but also for the first time a dlc expansion to the current World. And it won't be cheap, probably $29.99 minimum as dlc.

Resources aren't an issue when you can just do what Capcom did for World: outsource like crazy. Have you looked at World's credits roll? Even Bandai Namco worked on it!

This vague "resources" argument against a Gen 5 Switch game existing is just as dumb now as when Psychomantis desperately tried to sell it months ago. I'd probably move on if I were you.

Yup, G releases are basically base game + expansion. They even allow you to transfer your save data from the vanilla to G version so you can immediately jump to the new stuff.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017

The primary use case for the majority of people in Japan is going to be using Switch as a handheld; it doesn't matter that it can be used mostly as a home console if people aren't actually using it that way. The only data we have from Nintendo (at least to my knowledge) is from last year, and it showed that less than 20% of Switch owners used it primarily as a home console. This was for all their major regions, so if we're talking about Japan specifically, I'm sure that number is much lower.

Even within households where Switch does get used as a home console a lot of the time, a second Switch may still be appealing because some of the most popular games like Splatoon 2 and the Pokemon games require two Switch units for multiplayer (Let's Go, Pikachu and Eevee do have co-op, but that's a new addition, not a replacement for the old multiplayer). If two siblings want to play in a Splatfest together or battle against each other in a Pokemon game, they need two Switch units.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico

It's odd that JP publishers keep pushing the unique region apps instead of going global like FEH and Granblue, the later even has raids and even language barriers but it still manages to work well. Most of these games also get rerun events at some point so it's not like the new players will miss all of the content. Then there is the unsafety to jump in that it causes because it may close down, the missing features that causes growing pains that one region may not be able to sustain and the dedicated players that may try the game will know the content schedule and save the in game currency which in turn will cause less spending.