• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokémon anime's been roundly good since 2013. It's not going to set the world on fire, but it's consistently fun, which is all you can ever really say for a tie-in anime.

The vast majority of complaints about the show recently can't be made without some variant on "Ash was ROBBED".

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Fyi, preorders have already happen for MHXX (MHGU in the West) on the eshop, more than 2 months and a half before release (August 28th). The game release a year before that in Japan (August 25th). It is curious that they wanted till the end of August to release a finished product.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised giving Tecmo's strong support for the Switch that DoA 6 isn't slated for it (despite the Switch proving that it'S a very viable system for fighting games in Japan)

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised giving Tecmo's strong support for the Switch that DoA 6 isn't slated for it (despite the Switch proving that it'S a very viable system for fighting games in Japan)
Until they find a proper solution for their shitty high end engines, don't wait for stuff like DOA on switch

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Is that surprising? Probably too ressource intensive. My guess is 90% of the processing power is taken by the "Soft Touch Engine" (or whatever fancy name they gave their boobs physics engine), with the rest of the game taking the remaining 10% :P

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Until they find a proper solution for their shitty high end engines, don't wait for stuff like DOA on switch

Team Ninja might be a bit of a different case as far as engine, etc,., compared to other KT stuff.

I don't know, isn't the DoA engine the same as the Ninja Gaiden one? And that ran on WiiU

I think it has more to do with monetization (but even then that would be stupid)

Also they should port DoA Infinite to the Switch for maximum hilarity

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has more to do with the fact that for some games the Switch doesn't even come up in the pre production process. They have a budget, they have a target (usually "high end consoles and PC") and they're just happy to follow it like they always did. Adding the Switch isn't as easy as adding an XB1 version, and unless there's a massive uproar/port begging campaign, they're fine just ignoring it.

I expect it to be a recurring thing at E3 this year. We're already seeing it with that new Bamco/Dontnod game. I think the Switch just isn't part of their pre production plans, because they don't need it. They haven't needed Nintendo since the Wii and they're doing fine, and it's gonna take a long time with some long terms guarantees that the Switch and its successor are here to stay before it changes.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
dont you get banned/ warned here for doing exactly that?

I think they mean just raising awareness of the demand for such-and-such a game in any means. Like Rocket League for instance, everyone was aware they game was long requested before last E3 and the guys in the Direct basically acknowledged that demand too. There's a difference between 'port begging' and politely inquiring as to the possibility of a Switch version IMO.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I think they mean just raising awareness of the demand for such-and-such a game in any means. Like Rocket League for instance, everyone was aware they game was long requested before last E3 and the guys in the Direct basically acknowledged that demand too. There's a difference between 'port begging' and politely inquiring as to the possibility of a Switch version IMO.
from several threads I saw, it gave the impression both were thrown together under the bus.

Personally I already gave up on any realistic hope of 3rd party supporting any Nintendo console ever unless its a power house, and going by GC experience, even then they will find an work around to avoid it. so meh

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
from several threads I saw, it gave the impression both were thrown together under the bus.

Personally I already gave up on any realistic hope of 3rd party supporting any Nintendo console ever unless its a power house, and going by GC experience, even then they will find an work around to avoid it. so meh

GC actually had pretty great third party support and this was the time when pubs still made tons of exclusives (mainly PS2) because games didn't cost as much and because different consoles had so different tech in them. If Switch had PS4/XBO like hardware it would get at least all AAA games because AAA third party exclusives don't exist anymore.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
GC actually had pretty great third party support and this was the time when pubs still made tons of exclusives (mainly PS2) because games didn't cost as much and because different consoles had so different tech in them. If Switch had PS4/XBO like hardware it would get at least all AAA games because AAA third party exclusives don't exist anymore.

No Lol. Wiiu had a better hardware than Last gen consoles and then all major cross gen games like MGSV skipped it.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
No Lol. Wiiu had a better hardware than Last gen consoles and then all major cross gen games like MGSV skipped it.

WiiU was not all around better hardware than last gen consoles. It had worse CPU by decent margin that ment that ports had to be optimized for it and brute forcing wasn't option. Not to mention it launched just year before PS4/XBO and publishers started to target those systems with their games. PS3/X360 got some cross gen ports simply because those games had already started development ages ago or they wanted some extra sales from the massive userbase of last gen HD twins.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Better, but different. Konami had been playing around with PS3 for so long that even though the console is a mess they knew how to deal with it. Wiiu is a new thing that most people don't bother to learn, and rightfully so.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think hardware was the cause of Wii Us lack of third party support.

Publishers were porting games on there early on (COD, Arkham City, Darksiders 2, Watch Dogs, Assassina Crees 3, etc) then they stopped, probably because they werent selling. There was just a lack of enthusiasm for the system for a variety of reasons.

Switch has the opposite problem, strong enthusiasm and attatch rates but some games take too much effort to run or simply cant be ported.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Dengeki - Fiscal Year (April 2nd to May 27th):
  • Hardware: 530 000 units (-25.4%) / 15.3 billion Yen (+20.4%)
  • Software: 2.94 million units (-4.6%) / 19.5 billion Yen (+10.9%)
  • Total: 34.8 billion Yen (-5.4%, 36.8 billion Yen during the previous Fiscal Year)
Hardware
  • Nintendo Switch + PlayStation 4 = 89.6%
  • Nintendo Switch = 57.5%
  • PlayStation 4 = 32.1%
Software
  • Nintendo Switch + PlayStation 4 = 81.5%
  • Nintendo Switch = 39%
  • PlayStation = 42.5%
Total
  • Nintendo Switch + PlayStation 4 = 85%
  • Nintendo Switch = 47.1%
  • PlayStation 4 = 37.9%
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/740/1740000/

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Leg-o-Meter, May 2018 Edition

leg-o-metermay201820spn.jpg

Nothing really surprising. Top of the chart keeps on Switchifying.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
[UPDATE] Switch physical games, Japan, Summer (39 games)

June 07: Little Nightmares
June 08: Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
June 14: GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology
June 21: THE 密室からの脱出 ~運命をつなぐ35の謎~
June 21: THE 麻雀
June 21: Minecraft
June 22: Mario Tennis Ace
June 28: Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana
June 28: Death Mark

July 12: Shining Resonance Refrain
July 13: Octopath Traveler
July 13: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
July 19: Sonic Mania Plus
July 19: Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version!
July 19: Closed Nightmare
July 19: 不思議の幻想郷TOD -RELOADED-
July 26: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
July 26: Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1&2
July 26: Dragon Quest X All in One Package
July 26: Makai Senki Disgaea Refine
July 26: Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
July 26: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party

August 02: SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô
August 02: Code of Princess EX
August 02: Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution
August 02: LEGO: The Incredibles
August 09: Okami HD
August 09: Waku Waku Sweets: Amai Okashi ga Dekiru kana?
August 09: Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes
August 09: Darkest Dungeon
August 09: Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires Conspiracy DX
August 23: My Hero Academia: One's Justice
August 30: Psyvariar Delta
August 30: Little Dragons Cafe
August 30: Tennis World Tour

September 06: Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden
September 06: SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy
September 07: NBA 2K19
September 13: Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~

Switch physical games, Japan, Fall (6 games)

September 27: WORK × WORK
September 27: NORN 9 LOFN (9,504 yen (tax included) for the limited edition, 7,344 yen (tax included) for the normal version)

October 04: Rockman 11: Gear of Destiny!!
October 25: Beyblade Burst: Battle Zero

November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu
November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee

Jan 1, 2018
[UPDATE] Switch physical games, Japan, Summer (39 games)

June 07: Little Nightmares
June 08: Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
June 14: GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology
June 21: THE 密室からの脱出 ~運命をつなぐ35の謎~
June 21: THE 麻雀
June 21: Minecraft
June 22: Mario Tennis Ace
June 28: Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana
June 28: Death Mark

July 12: Shining Resonance Refrain
July 13: Octopath Traveler
July 13: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
July 19: Sonic Mania Plus
July 19: Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version!
July 19: Closed Nightmare
July 19: 不思議の幻想郷TOD -RELOADED-
July 26: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
July 26: Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1&2
July 26: Dragon Quest X All in One Package
July 26: Makai Senki Disgaea Refine
July 26: Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
July 26: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party

August 02: SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô
August 02: Code of Princess EX
August 02: Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution
August 02: LEGO: The Incredibles
August 09: Okami HD
August 09: Waku Waku Sweets: Amai Okashi ga Dekiru kana?
August 09: Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes
August 09: Darkest Dungeon
August 09: Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires Conspiracy DX
August 23: My Hero Academia: One's Justice
August 30: Psyvariar Delta
August 30: Little Dragons Cafe
August 30: Tennis World Tour

September 06: Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden
September 06: SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy
September 07: NBA 2K19
September 13: Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~

Switch physical games, Japan, Fall (6 games)

September 27: WORK × WORK
September 27: NORN 9 LOFN (9,504 yen (tax included) for the limited edition, 7,344 yen (tax included) for the normal version)

October 04: Rockman 11: Gear of Destiny!!
October 25: Beyblade Burst: Battle Zero

November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu
November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee
I'm curious as to how much this summer schedule will be changing come next week

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
By they way, looking at the Media Create report, it's clear for them the BlazBlue audience just isn't on Switch. Quite interesting: they mention Continuum Shift II, and it had strikingly similar sales on 3DS as CTB on Switch:

- PSP BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II 24.310 / 49.714
- 3DS BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II 5.550 / 15.632

(https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search)

https://www.m-create.com/ranking/
It only sold 11k on PS4 so I don't think there's an audience for it in general.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So does Koei Tecmo fully own Team Ninja? If so how are they able to work with Square Enix/Nintendo? Any clarification would be appreciated.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sammy Samusu That gag has been done for like the past 20 years by every anime imaginable.
True, although in this if you noticed by the way the characters are draw, their eyes and the color palette used you can see that one in the image it's specifically a Jojo reference (the line also lol).

Anime_18785d_6397941.gif

And it's not a one-off thing either, thanks to the comedic tone the series has the animation team has been able to insert a bunch of these types of reference gags, they are quick enough to not be intrusive but funny nonetheless.

Quote because of the size:

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle's first week sales were quite low when compared to the other installments of the series, even later ports. Interestingly enough, it's also one of the Japanese-developed games released on both PS4 and Switch with the highest split of total sales in favour of the former. Here's a recap of what we've seen so far for simultaenous releases between the two systems, including this week's releases (Media Create - Dengeki when MC numbers aren't enough).

BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle

[PS4] - 11.696 (73.25%)
[NSW] - 4.271 (26.75%)

Liar Princess and the Blind Prince

[PS4] - 6.487 (37.24%)
[NSW] - 6.412 (36.81%)
[PSV] - 4.519 (25.95%)

Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi

[PS4] - 27.230 (82.85%)
[NSW] - 5.636 (17.15%)

Night of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon

[PS4] - 18.207 (61.02%)
[PSV] - 7.168 (24.02%)
[NSW] - 4.463 (14.96%)

Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings*

[PS4] - 22,681 (61.02%)
[PSV] - 7,806 (21%)
[NSW] - 6,684 (17.98%)

Winning Post 8 2018

[PS4] - 8.459 (52.73%)
[PSV] - 3.837 (23.92%)
[NSW] - 3.745 (23.35%)

Gal Gun 2*

[PS4] - 4.147 (64.8%)
[NSW] - 2.253 (35.2%)

Lost Sphear

[PS4] - 7.363 (56.06%)
[NSW] - 5.770 (43.94%)

Sonic Forces

[PS4] - 5.938 (55.89%)
[NSW] - 4.686 (44.11%)

Your Four Knight Princesses Training Story*

[PS4] - 3.446 (37.64%)
[NSW] - 3.415 (37.30%)
[PSV] - 2.295 (25.06%)

Dragon Quest X: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e Online

[WIU] - 24.836 (43.62%)
[NSW] - 18.444 (32.39%)
[PS4] - 13.657 (23.99%)

One Piece: Unlimited World Red - Deluxe Edition*

[NSW] - 4.313 (70.84%)
[PS4] - 1.775 (29.16%)

Order followed: from the game with the biggest PS4 advantage to the game with the biggest NSW advantage
* = Dengeki

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle's first week sales were quite low when compared to the other installments of the series, even later ports. Interestingly enough, it's also one of the Japanese-developed games released on both PS4 and Switch with the highest split of total sales in favour of the former. Here's a recap of what we've seen so far for simultaenous releases between the two systems, including this week's releases (Media Create - Dengeki when MC numbers aren't enough).

Order followed: from the game with the biggest PS4 advantage to the game with the biggest NSW advantage
* = Dengeki

Do the DQX numbers cover all SKUs, like the All-in-One Package?

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Imagine hating a good kid's show, the animation alone makes it worth watching. It's getting consistent and good ratings too.
Pokémon is not a good kid's show, and being made for children not an excuse for poor writing and lack of vision. And no, the ratings aren't good, they are a far cry from the numbers the show used to have prior to Best Wishes. A 3.5 rating is nothing to brag about.

Lite_Agent That's what I heard about the rating, thanks for the details.
The Let's go title(s) might indeed shake up the formula a little bit, could be interesting to see where they go.

Well let's say first that between the best anime ever and a turd there are millions of nuances and I was a bit surprised that a show that has been running for 20 years with consistent and good rating and audience, played a big part in keeping Pokemon the behomoth IP it is on every front still managed to do it by falling to fall in that "in between category" and by being a turd.

But maybe there's something different about Sun/Moon particulary?
Looking at it with one eye, besides the character design that was refreshed (for the first time since they started) I didn't notice much else being that different, I might have miss something so by all mean I wouldn't mind to know about it.

Or you think the whole anime is a turd from the start and in that case I don't think there's much room for discussion.

The only reason why the Pokémon anime still runs is simply to advertize the latest gen games to its watchers. There exists no effort into making a cohesive story at all, or arguably even making a profit, since it's at least compensated by the high sales about the games. My issue with Sun and Moon is not the animation (Pokémon's animation has always been bad, you can tell with your very own eyes that they've always been cutting corners from the start), but it's unwillingness to work with the premise and Ash's continuous regression.

Lasting a long time is not indicative of quality. Look at Maury and Jerry Springer, they've lasted longer than Pokémon and they're a far cry from being good shows.

I dunno about the current series but XYZ was fucking great. I'd stopped watching the anime years and years ago (10ish years) but peeped a few episodes of XY and it was super quality. The animation was superb.

If we are talking animation? Sun and Moon will blow ur mind lol. It is even better.
The show is neither fun nor pretty. It's a pointless affair that'll end up being filler like XYZ before it.

Anyways, to prevent the thread from derailing, I will send every one of you who spoke on the Pokémon anime a PM and tell you why I abhor the anime with all of my passion. I would make a separate thread for this, but I do not have the posting privileges yet, so I can do nothing about that.

EDIT: You know, I think I'm just gonna wait until I can make a thread. It's too cumbersome to send a separate PM to several people.

Last edited:

_Dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Better, but different. Konami had been playing around with PS3 for so long that even though the console is a mess they knew how to deal with it. Wiiu is a new thing that most people don't bother to learn, and rightfully so.
Why? The Wii U is a great console with plenty of great games.