• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Is there a chart that compares Cross Tag to previous BBs vs UNIEL/UNIST vs the Arena games? That already seems like a really low launch, and the Switch version did even worse than I had expected it. Guess this explains why ASW has been doing a western push for a while since sales on console fighters are to the gorund at this point.

No graph, but you can use this site: https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search

Had a quick look, and CTB did worse at launch than Central Fiction.

Just realised Switch hit 1 million YTD this week.

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good legs for darks souls, continued legs for splatoon 2.
Was expecting a bigger opening for blazeblue:ctb.
Liar princess with a low opening but since it's a lower budget game it could still do well with the lower numbers if it has legs.
Both ps4 and switch hardware numbers continue to rise.
Another average week overall.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ummm.... if we are limiting everything to "traditional" for fighting game genre, no wonder the genre is dead lol. Any innovation is immediately throw away there.

Well that's kinda the point yes, traditional games are dying while those others are doing well, which is why we were talking about traditional games specifically. It's not an attack on non-traditional games.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A DLC-clad, asset reuse, team based 2D fighter that did not release in arcades in Japan was never going to perform well in Japan right now. Not surprising at all for Cross Tag.

Guess I'm surprised P3D and P5D dropped off completely, but that seemed like it might happen based on last week.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
How many million sellers do you guys think Switch will have in Japan by the end of 2018? We currently have BOTW, SMO, Splatoon 2 and MK8D. Let's keep it to games for which we know the exact numbers, just to keep things clear.

I think by the end of the year they will at least Pokémon and Smash. Additionally, Minecraft physical edition could hit 1M by the end of the year, as could Kirby and Yo-kai Watch.

So, that'd mean between 6-9 1 million sellers by the end of the year. I'll be combing over the internet for that graph that compares million seller games per platform, unless anyone else has it or can find it!

I'd say Minecraft is very likely. Kirby and Yo-Kai Watch are very possible.

And NSMB U port would easily get there as well IMO

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That is because this is comparing february sales to may sales (different launch periods) and first quarter is much stronger sales period. Comparing month to month PS4 is selling more than PS3 did back in May 2011 so PS3 will stop its gaining soon enough.
Looking at PS4's summer lineup, I doubt it anytime soon. Maybe Fall will be better though.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the top ten I thought PS4 might actually be doing well...then I saw the hardware sales. Wow. Even with so few top ten Switch is killing it.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Mainline series in a good spot
Spinoffs not so much

Q2 is taking such a long time, I cannot imagine it staying 3DS only if they expect to sell anything
Oh you don't know Atlus.

And on top of coming late, it's yet another EO inspired game. Like we haven't had enough. Easily the Musou of RPGs. (but go out now and buy Strange Journey!)

I think Q2 will bomb super hard, and honestly Atlus don't seem to care.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda surpassed 1M yay!
BlazBlue megabomba and both Persona disappeared already, what the hell.
Hopefully the West can save BlazBlue.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
How many million sellers do you guys think Switch will have in Japan by the end of 2018? We currently have BOTW, SMO, Splatoon 2 and MK8D. Let's keep it to games for which we know the exact numbers, just to keep things clear.

I think by the end of the year they will at least Pokémon and Smash. Additionally, Minecraft physical edition could hit 1M by the end of the year, as could Kirby and Yo-kai Watch.

So, that'd mean between 6-9 1 million sellers by the end of the year. I'll be combing over the internet for that graph that compares million seller games per platform, unless anyone else has it or can find it!

Of what we know, I think the only sure-fire bets are Pokemon and Smash.

Minecraft depends on opening and legs, it will hit it eventually most likely, it just has to sell at a consistent 15k pace and have a really good holiday after having a higher than normal opening for the series.

Kirby would have to sustain legs from this point and also have a very good holiday in August and at the end of the year. It could get there eventually. From Media Create it has to sell ~16.1k each week the rest of the year to hit a million physical and roughly in the ~15k range mixing Media Create physical and the digital estimates.

Yokai depends on the remaining popularity of the franchise and what it mixes up for the series. I can see it ending up anywhere from 400k to a crack over a million due to a range of factors.

I think the remaining outside shot would be for some form of Monster Hunter to show up or a surprise Nintendo game like a NSMBU port earlier on in the year than what is currently speculated (I heard December?) or a surprise Animal Crossing if they want to blow up Japan.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Q2 is taking such a long time, I cannot imagine it staying 3DS only if they expect to sell anything
They really need to stop with the 3DS games. Ports of Radiant Historia, Strange Journey, and a new EO and Q2 are nice, but they had/have the potential to perform much better if they move to a relevant platform. Even though they're cheap to produce, they are missing out on chances to grow their brand on PS4/Switch.

Same for Catherine on the Vita. I can't see that doing well either, though at least it will have the PS4 version.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Bomba. Most likely japanese audience showed the finger because RWBY is a western franchise.

I feel very happy for Zelda. Aonuma and his team deserves this. Pretty great, constant numbers for Switch. Detroit performs kinda surprising.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
What's impressive about Zelda IMO is that it's not selling much worse than it was at this time last year.

Also, Detroit drop is impressive too, I wasn't expecting that.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
04./00. [PS4] BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2018.05.31} (¥5.800) - 11.696 / NEW
17./00. [NSW] BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle # <FTG> (Arc System Works) {2018.05.31} (¥5.800) - 4.271 / NEW
giphy.gif

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, does anyone have that graph that plotted the number of million sellers as a function of the number of weeks since launch? Would be interested in seeing that one again!

Sorry, I switched back to lurking for a while to do some brewing and quonset hut design, but I was always waiting for the Zelda opportunity for another post:

Million Sellers - 201806060014.png

I took some time to complete the DS line, though it's a little hard because I haven't resolved the issue of when to count half-versions of games versus both as a single game (like Pokèmon). But anyway, I'm amused to see that Switch is now the fourth Nintendo console in the list to has keep to the trend of having 3 specific million sellers in week 58 or 59. It's not really a super significant thing, but it is a little more interesting considering that they all got their first million-selling game in dramatically different weeks (looks like Wii week 11, Switch week 41, 3DS week 44, NDS week 56).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Neither of those two are traditional fighting games which is what we were talking about.

It's been for at least a decade traditional fighting games are not selling well. Just look at the numbers of historic franchises like Tekken, Soul Calibur and Street Fighter in Japan.

We'll have a good indicator how low it can drop when EOX releases in August.

I think EOX will do quite well. I'd not be surprised to see it close to mainline entries.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sorry, I switched back to lurking for a while to do some brewing and quonset hut design, but I was always waiting for the Zelda opportunity for another post:

Million Sellers - 201806060014.png

I took some time to complete the DS line, though it's a little hard because I haven't resolved the issue of when to count half-versions of games versus both as a single game (like Pokèmon). But anyway, I'm amused to see that Switch is now the fourth Nintendo console in the list to has keep to the trend of having 3 specific million sellers in week 58 or 59. It's not really a super significant thing, but it is a little more interesting considering that they all got their first million-selling game in dramatically different weeks (looks like Wii week 11, Switch week 41, 3DS week 44, NDS week 56).
THANKS, that's the image I was referring to. If Switch manages to have its 9 million sellers, then it would equal 3DS' number after almost 3 years, which would be very strong considering most of the games will be Nintendo first party titles. Of course, to keep the pace, million sellers need to continue coming at a steady pace (3DS seems to have had 6 million sellers in its fourth year, for example).

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Outside of the ones you mentioned DQB2 and Mario Tennis Aces also have a shot.

I think the other interesting thing is that Switch is tracking well ahead of 3DS in terms of multi-million selling titles. By the end of 2012 these were the top selling 3DS games:

1) Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2012-11-08) - 1.969.955
2) Mario Kart 7(2011) - 1.908.966
3) New Super Mario Bros. 2(2012-07-28) - 1.743.791
4) Super Mario 3D Land(2011) - 1.769.566
5) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate(2011) - 1.587.556

3DS Hardware Sales by the end of 2012 - 9.779.883

Switch will have a game already well beyond 3M by the end of 2018.
Multiple 2M selling games by the end of 2018 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash, Pokemon, Super Mario Odyssey
Despite it being extremely likely that the Switch would be over >2.5M below 3DS's hardware total.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That will be fun to watch unfold if it pans out that way. Not that I doubt you one bit, holidays will be primetime for Switch, and hopefully little in the way of stock issues this year for the holidays. :)
Nintendo are now prepared for shipping 20M, instead of having to scale up from a 10M prediction, so that shouldn't be a problem, at least not to sell the required 4.1M for 2018 to outsell Wii launch aligned.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Surely Nintendo will issue a press release if BOTW becomes the best-selling Zelda of all time.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Outside of the ones you mentioned DQB2 and Mario Tennis Aces also have a shot.

I think the other interesting thing is that Switch is tracking well ahead of 3DS in terms of multi-million selling titles. By the end of 2012 these were the top selling 3DS games:

1) Animal Crossing: New Leaf (2012-11-08) - 1.969.955
2) Mario Kart 7(2011) - 1.908.966
3) New Super Mario Bros. 2(2012-07-28) - 1.743.791
4) Super Mario 3D Land(2011) - 1.769.566
5) Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate(2011) - 1.587.556

3DS Hardware Sales by the end of 2012 - 9.779.883

Switch will have a game already well beyond 3M by the end of 2018.
Multiple 2M selling games by the end of 2018 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Smash, Pokemon, Super Mario Odyssey
Despite it being extremely likely that the Switch would be over >2.5M below 3DS's hardware total.
Yeah, Switch games are selling astronomically, no doubt about it.

BTW, are you expecting Switch to sell only 3.9M in 2018 total? 3DS was at 9.8M by the end of 2012, so Switch was have to be below 7.3M to be 2.5M below 3DS hardware. I don't think that will happen myself.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any realistic way for either of those titles to get close to a million. Open to hearing otherwise, but that seems incredibly optimistic.

DQB2 could be a hit with younger audience that enjoy Minecraft, it has multiplayer unlike the first game and could appeal to older demographic who already own a Switch.
Mario Tennis Aces is probably going to get constant updates until the end of the year. Its also going to get two full holidays and during one of them will be the major new title from Nintendo on the system. I could totally see Mario Tennis ending up with >500K sales by the end of August.

Yeah, Switch games are selling astronomically, no doubt about it.

BTW, are you expecting Switch to sell only 3.9M in 2018 total? 3DS was at 9.8M by the end of 2012, so Switch was have to be below 7.3M to be 2.5M below 3DS hardware. I don't think that will happen myself.

My bad I miscalculated i'm thinking around >4.5M for the year - so >3.5M for the remaining 30 weeks. So in the region slightly below 2M difference between the systems. It's possible that Nintendo blows my estimation out of the park, but we should have a clearer idea after Obon.

Re: Builders 2. The first one did 700K across 3 platforms, and Builders 2 has a PS4 version which will surely sell pretty well.

DQB's potential was limited because it was released across three platforms that weren't particularly popular.
I don't really think PS4 version would negatively impact the Switch version, quite the opposite.

Re: Mario Tennis. Other than the original that was released 18 years ago, no entry has even surpassed 400K.

Has there been a Nintendo 1st Party game with local multiplayer on the go that has under-performed in Japan?
Arms is closing in on 500K and it didn't have the brand recognition that Mario provides; it was also somewhat harmed by the release of Splatoon 2; Arms also had a far slower update schedule which I don't expect MTA to mirror.
I personally think MTA will get a ton more updates than Arms did - because it will perform much better WW compared to Arms(above >3M WW by the end of 2018). Top that off with a better single player campaign and more time for the game to breathe(Smash is likely a September release),

I know Switch software is selling well, but I think this is way too optimistic.

They have a shot at 1M neither is guaranteed to do that well.

Last edited:

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
DQB2 could be a hit with younger audience that enjoy Minecraft, it has multiplayer unlike the first game and could appeal to older demographic who already own a Switch.
Mario Tennis Aces is probably going to get constant updates until the end of the year. Its also going to get two full holidays and during one of them will be the major new title from Nintendo on the system. I could totally see Mario Tennis ending up with >500K sales by the end of August.

Re: Builders 2. The first one did 700K across 3 platforms, and Builders 2 has a PS4 version which will surely sell pretty well.

Re: Mario Tennis. Other than the original that was released 18 years ago, no entry has even surpassed 400K.

I know Switch software is selling well, but I think this is way too optimistic.

funtastrophe

Oct 25, 2017
THANKS, that's the image I was referring to. If Switch manages to have its 9 million sellers, then it would equal 3DS' number after almost 3 years, which would be very strong considering most of the games will be Nintendo first party titles. Of course, to keep the pace, million sellers need to continue coming at a steady pace (3DS seems to have had 6 million sellers in its fourth year, for example).

No problem. By the way, you can go to http://era.burner.camp/#cqr at any time for a programmatic version of this (which includes many more consoles). The image I post is done by hand, but that website is a backup to help me make sure I'm not doing something wildly off. You can have extra fun with it by changing the quantity (eg, comparing half-million sellers). Note that I haven't fed it this week's data, as I'm thinking of waiting until the top 50 comes out first.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If it was called The Legend of Belda it wouldn't have ever reached 1 million sales!

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

Yes, Pokémon and Smash are guaranteed million sellers on Switch this year. Minecraft is still very popular but it will take quite a long time to approach 1 million in physical units. Youkai Watch is really hard to tell right now, really hard to gauge its current popularity, 400k-1,2m is a big range that I consider possible, with the little information we have.

Animal Crossing for Q1 2019 would be great to extent the likely good holiday momentum this year.

In general it looks quite good when it comes to number of million selling titles, for comparison with the only other still active system going forward, PS4 will have 3 million selling titles after 5 years in market (by March2019).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
No problem. By the way, you can go to http://era.burner.camp/#cqr at any time for a programmatic version of this (which includes many more consoles). The image I post is done by hand, but that website is a backup to help me make sure I'm not doing something wildly off. You can have extra fun with it by changing the quantity (eg, comparing half-million sellers). Note that I haven't fed it this week's data, as I'm thinking of waiting until the top 50 comes out first.
Wow, that's a great website for sure. Thanks, I will play around with it a little and see if I can get some interesting information from it!

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any realistic way for either of those titles to get close to a million. Open to listening to arguments otherwise, but that seems incredibly optimistic.
DQB2 all version combined might be. Mario Tennis might leg its way to 1M, but just like Zelda, it won't happen in the year it is released.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
DQB2 all version combined might be. Mario Tennis might leg its way to 1M, but just like Zelda, it won't happen in the year it is released.

Yeah Builders 2 could get close adding in PS4. But Switch version alone? No way.

And I honestly don't get the optimism for Mario Tennis. I think it will do really well, but not every relatively high profile Nintendo game sells a million copies.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FuRyu game Work x Work announced (exclusively?) For Switch for September 27th

Development team consists of members of Mother 3, including the director I believe

First screenshot