• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
That's definitely a good point.

Remake 2 and KH3 will be good sellers. Apart from that though I have no faith in the rest of the line up. We'll have to wait and see.

FIFA 2018 is at 130k+ as it is

I'm expecting FIFA 19 to be significantly higher. Especially with Konami beeing stupid again and not having a Switch SKU for Winning Eleven 2019

There is no Winning Eleven again on Switch? That's incredible lmao

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I know it was undershipped here in Europe but was that the case in Japan?

From what I remember they expected 250k sales and it was regarded as an underwhelming result.

I have no idea about Europe, never been there. Abyss sold about 60% its first week, which means it probably got around 110k printed, and then sold all of them and got another print to reach 153k, before getting the Welcome Price printing many years later. I was visiting the US during that summer, and when I got back in fall I had a hard time finding a copy.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Well it'S a remake of a very old Famicom Game

What I don't get is why it isn't called "Track'n Field" here since more people know that name

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn it Konami.

Speaking of impending Switch announcements, how much do we think RR8 would sell in Japan? It's been so long since the last one, and even longer since we got a real RR outside launch window?

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The Track & Field games were awesome back in the days! This could be fun.

Because they are all on PS4.
Overall, it will probably bring in a good amount of players. Maybe not those games each in isolation, but the PS4 might sell maybe 2-3 million more consoles in Japan.

For PS4 in Japan, early 2019 looks to be weaker than this years, with software and hardware sales most likely going to reflect quite clearly this fact, with declines in both.

We also know that there is that weird focus on 1Q on PS, this year even with a quite disappointing rest of the year as a consequence, while Nintendo is about to release some million sellers and no there's no reason to exclude them in discussions. Even then there's Youkai Watch this vor next year. So what exactly is your point?
Isnt the reason for a focus on Q1 because of bigger games being released in that period? Can you elaborate why you think its weird? Its focus on PS performance all year around as well. In recent times, people focus and talk about the PS4 performance almost every week in these threads.

FIFA 2018 is at 130k+ as it is

I'm expecting FIFA 19 to be significantly higher. Especially with Konami beeing stupid again and not having a Switch SKU for Winning Eleven 2019
Fair predictions. I know that some of the predictions for Dragon Ball FighterZ for Switch is noticeably over 100k, but FIFA at 150k+ is likely more than the DBFZ predictions in that case.

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Tales is bigger in western markets than in Japan.

Berseria sold 75% of its units outside of Japan

Where did you get that number? It's incorrect, we recently got the news that Berseria sold 1M worldwide and we know it's around 400k in Japan (PS3+PS4), some part of the steam number might come from Japan as well (a very small percentage very likely, but not 0)

Before Zestiria and besides Symphonia all main episodes sold more in Japan than in western markets, and by a landslide for most.
The series enjoyed growth in western markets but in Japan they failed at different degree (platform choice, game quality) which led to its downward trend in sales

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you get that number? It's incorrect, we recently got the news that Berseria sold 1M worldwide and we know it's around 400k in Japan (PS3+PS4), some part of the steam number might come from Japan as well (a very small percentage very likely, but not 0)

Before Zestiria and besides Symphonia all main episodes sold more in Japan than in western markets, and by a landslide for most.
The series enjoyed growth in western markets but in Japan they failed at different degree (platform choice, game quality) which led to its downward trend in sales
I actually legit forgot the game came out on PS3 in Japan and went with the 250k PS4 release

As for the Steam version in Japan, I doubt it had much of an impact there, the PC market remains rather tiny compared to even the home console one.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oregano return is the biggest surprise of this E3, what a shit show.
I will spend zero dollar on my PS4 and Switch for the rest of the year.

Time to look into the future, please fast forward to 2025 so I can play FFVIIR, Cyberpunk and TESVI.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Wonder how long it will take for people to start whining about Switch third party support...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Daemon x Machina was a nice surprise but not sure what potential it has.

The Xenoblade 2 Prequel looks amazing though. I'm tempted to buy the standalone version despite already having the expansion pass.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
First Party isn't strong either.
Where is the NSMB compilation? Or Animal Crossing? And Fire Emblem is next year. Yoshi MIA.

How do they plan to reach the 20 million this fiscal year? Price drop?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
First Party isn't strong either.
Where is the NSMB compilation? Or Animal Crossing? And Fire Emblem is next year.

How do they plan to reach the 20 million this fiscal year? Price drop?

Right now Nintendo has no first party title from 7/13 until Mario Party in October. I assume there is one or two more things coming.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
At least the mystery with preorders and E3 was solved. Nothing is dated for August and September so they won't open at all.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess NSMBU Deluxe will get announced later today.

But it's pretty super thin.

Good-feel is terrible at making video games, this is back to back Yoshi games which have had dumpster fire tier dev cycles.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's a strange thing for sure. They went into the direct with a lineup that was arguably stronger than what they came out with. Not a good showing at all, especially Smash's release date is an unexpected setback for 2018's sales. Lineup is still pretty good imo, though.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a strange thing for sure. They went into the direct with a lineup that was arguably stronger than what they came out with. Not a good showing at all, especially Smash's release date is an unexpected setback for 2018's sales. Lineup is still pretty good imo, though.

I wonder if Yoshi really is 2H 2019... Good-feel... not that good at making video games.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's a bit disappointing that FE will come out in Spring, but 風花雪月 is a great name.

Smash Special looks great too, awesome everyone is in it. Sakurai made probably the most elaborate/complex fighter, maybe even game, ever done before.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And it's June, yet we still got a lot of "Fall 2018" games. Seriously when is Dark Souls coming out?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Right now Nintendo has no first party title from 7/13 until Mario Party in October. I assume there is one or two more things coming.
There won't be another general direct before September. If something is revealed this quarter it will be at treehouse and won't be anything more than Mario Bros U Deluxe / Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
There won't be another general direct before September. If something is revealed this quarter it will be at treehouse and won't be anything more than Mario Bros U Deluxe / Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

This sounds about correct.

Super Mario Party is a nice edition for the Switch this year since it looks pretty high quality. It basically just subs in for Fire Emblem for what we expected in 2018. We might see another Labo or Wii U port for September at some point.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
How can Nintendo sell many Switch with only a 13m franchise targeted towards hardcore and a 16-17m franchise targeted towards a wider audience...?

Nintendo has a very strong lineup. Empty summer means nothing considering they can still sell their evergreen titles and they have a big game coming out in June.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
How can Nintendo sell many Switch with only a 13m franchise targeted towards hardcore and a 16-17m franchise targeted towards a wider audience...?

Nintendo has a very strong lineup. Empty summer means nothing considering they can still sell their evergreen titles and they have a big game coming out in June.
Summer is not empty, it's just full of 3rd party and little 1st party.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Smash for December surely changes things a lot. By the way Nintendo has put Capcom at ice for good.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I don't see many reasons why Capcom should skip Switch with RE2. I guess the company really changed its business strategy by focusing solely on PS4/XB1 and PC.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Fire Emblem pushed to 2019? Sega must be doing backflips right now.

It's known as Hyper Sports in Japan and has been for over 30 years, makes sense to keep the name...
It's technically known as Hyper Sports in the west too (MSX releases in Europe). Konami also used Track & Field in Japan before though, there's a ton of games in the series.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New Fire Emblem character designer seems to be 倉花 千夏. She previously worked for Nitro+CHiRAL which is brand dedicated to gay visual novel. So after getting all the otaku money, Nintendo is now after the fujoshi money. Brilliant.