• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
While having Smash launch alongside the online service would be better, in the end it is only a difference of a few months and won't matter in the grand scheme of things. At launch the online service will benefit from having Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokken Tournament, Minecraft, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Overcooked 2, FIFA19, BlazBlue, Street Fighter, Dragonball FighterZ, Paladins, etc. plus games that aren't online focused but have online modes such as Doom, Sushi Striker, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Super Bomberman R, etc.

At launch, subscriptions will likely be driven mainly by Splatoon and Mario Kart. The releases of Pokemon and Smash will drive numbers further later on in the year.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee pre-orders will open in July 13th in Japan.

Edit: same day for Smash Special.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Man what a shit show, when Nintendo unveiled the Switch's concept I was so happy because it meant they would unify their console and handheld development resources, which would result in more, better and faster releases. And yet here we are, nothing from mid July to October, wth :/

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they dropped the ball a bit this year, although they'll have the casual/younger market on lock on the holidays, no question.

2019 will be better for people wanting more single player hardcore games, with fire emblem, bayonetta 3, smt v,metroid prime 4 and others on the horizon

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man what a shit show, when Nintendo unveiled the Switch's concept I was so happy because it meant they would unify their console and handheld development resources, which would result in more, better and faster releases. And yet here we are, nothing from mid July to October, wth :/

I honestly don't understand how it's possible.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
Octopath, Toad, pre-orders of Pokemon and Smash... everything on July 13th.

I don't know if something is still happening or it's just because.

Oct 27, 2017

You won't be seeing that until next year. Many 3DS teams were finishing up their last 3DS titles by the time the Switch was a proven hit.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
BiS baby

we ever find out the reason octopath and capitan are the same day?
still seems random.

If I were to guess it's because of the timing. It's one week before the average start of summer vacation for most children in Japan. Some start a few days earlier, and some a little later. But putting so many games a week before will catch most everyone before they leave on holiday yet will still be fresh enough in everyone's memory who finish school the following week.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
what are you expecting, an AAA every month, what other Publisher release as many Games as Nintendo do??? also what TheMisterManGuy some teams still were working out 3DS stuff, and other are likely working on Stuff we dont know about.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
They historically have never really cared about August. They have the Xenoblade DLC releasing as a stand alone in September. Am I missing something?
their Japan schedule with third parties seems good enough. If Inazuma and Yokai decide to release themselves.
West actually isn't bad either with recent 3rd party announcements. DBZ and fortnite will be interesting to monitor.

that being said
I'm not gonna overly bash them, but after today (due to delays, not due to no big megatons or whatever) I'm not gonna act like I'm impressed with their current output either.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
what are you expecting, an AAA every month, what other Publisher release as many Games as Nintendo do??? also what TheMisterManGuy some teams still were working out 3DS stuff, and other are likely working on Stuff we dont know about.
I expected exactly what I said?, more, better and faster releases. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to big AAA (AA?) games I know Nintendo is pretty much alone supporting this thing, but you have to admit not having a single game for 2 month is disappointing and weird as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
I expected exactly what I said?, more, better and faster releases. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to big AAA (AA?) games I know Nintendo is pretty much alone supporting this thing, but you have to admit not having a single game for 2 month is disappointing and weird as hell.

That can change. We have two more days of Treehouse, and Nintendo has been known in recent times to announce shit on their own terms.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
im sure that between Nintendo and whatever 3rd party care every month there been something, NOW, if that something is not for you...welp?

just to be sure, what are this "nothing" 2 months you are talking about?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
their Japan schedule with third parties seems good enough. If Inazuma and Yokai decide to release themselves.
West actually isn't bad either with recent 3rd party announcements. DBZ and fortnite will be interesting to monitor.

I mean compared to last year there is way more variety at hand here. Especially in the summer both for Japan and the West.

that being said
I'm not gonna overly bash them, but after today (due to delays, not due to no big megatons or whatever) I'm not gonna act like I'm impressed with their current output either.

Fire Emblem and Yoshi were delayed which sucks agreed. But they announced Fire Emblem which is pretty big. They assuredly have more 2019 stuff but I don't think anything bar a port makes sense for the rest of 2018. 2019 potentially has Bayonetta 3, Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, Star Fox, Fire Emblem and that's just stuff we've heard of. It excludes stuff we haven't. I dunno, I thought what they showed was was fine.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean compared to last year there is way more variety at hand here. Especially in the summer both for Japan and the West.

Fire Emblem and Yoshi were delayed which sucks agreed. But they announced Fire Emblem which is pretty big. They assuredly have more 2019 stuff but I don't think anything bar a port makes sense for the rest of 2018. 2019 potentially has Bayonetta 3, Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, Star Fox, Fire Emblem and that's just stuff we've heard of. It excludes stuff we haven't. I dunno, I thought what they showed was was fine.
yeah it's better than last year. But I haven't found either year to be amazing yet. Last year was lacking in third party games, and this year is a lot better there. But after a okay H1 1st party wise, I wanted more for H2.
Japan it's a lot better no question.

Pokemon is also 2019. I think 2019 looks good, but now my attitude is a wait and see approach. Only looking at what's ahead of me.
plus FE was dampened by the fact I think it looks pretty dang ugly.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
im sure that between Nintendo and whatever 3rd party care every month there been something, NOW, if that something is not for you...welp?

just to be sure, what are this "nothing" 2 months you are talking about?
I'm talking Nintendo specifically here, not a single first party game between Cpt Toad and Super Mario Party.

Edit: Hell thats almost 3 months :/

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if that Xenoblade 2 DLC is a 30+ hours (main quest alone) standalone RPG. Nintendo surely treats it as one by selling it separately.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm talking Nintendo specifically here, not a single first party game between Cpt Toad and Super Mario Party.

Edit: Hell thats almost 3 months :/
I mean, August is usually light on first party releases, actually none of the big three have big games for that month. I give you September and I agree it would be nice if there was a title there

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling Nintendo will announce some sort of port or remaster to release in August or September. Bayonetta 1/2 and Hyrule Warriors DE only took about 2 months from announcement to release, so I could see a similar thing happening for a hypothetical Metroid Prime Trilogy HD or NSMBU+.

Granted, Nintendo is releasing Xenoblade 2 Golden Country in September, so it's really only August that's missing for the rest of the year currently (and it was missing last year as well, in addition to November). And who knows, TWEWY might fill that spot. (edit: it's currently slated for fall, so maybe not)

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
[UPDATE] Switch physical games, Japan, Summer (43 games)

June 07: Little Nightmares
June 08: Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
June 14: GOD WARS: Great War of Japanese Mythology
June 21: THE 密室からの脱出 ~運命をつなぐ35の謎~
June 21: THE 麻雀
June 21: Minecraft
June 22: Mario Tennis Ace
June 28: Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana
June 28: Death Mark

July 12: Shining Resonance Refrain
July 13: Octopath Traveler
July 13: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
July 19: Sonic Mania Plus
July 19: Taiko Drum Master: Nintendo Switch Version!
July 19: Closed Nightmare
July 19: 不思議の幻想郷TOD -RELOADED-
July 26: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
July 26: Rockman X Anniversary Collection 1&2
July 26: Dragon Quest X All in One Package
July 26: Makai Senki Disgaea Refine
July 26: Waku Waku Doubutsu Land
July 26: Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai: Library Party
July 26: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

August 02: SaGa : Scarlet Grace - Hiiro no Yabô
August 02: Code of Princess EX
August 02: Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution
August 02: LEGO: The Incredibles
August 09: Okami HD
August 09: Waku Waku Sweets: Amai Okashi ga Dekiru kana?
August 09: Jake Hunter Detective Story: Prism of Eyes
August 09: Darkest Dungeon
August 09: Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires Conspiracy DX
August 23: My Hero Academia: One's Justice
August 30: Psyvariar Delta
August 30: Little Dragons Cafe
August 30: Tennis World Tour
August 30: Blade Strangers

September 06: Hakuoki Shinkai: Fuukaden
September 06: SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy
September 07: NBA 2K19
September 13: Code: Realize ~Bouquet of Rainbows~
September 20: ニル・アドミラリの天秤 色ドリ撫子 (Nil Admirari no Tenbin: Teito Genwaku Kitan)
September 21: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna: The Golden Country (3,980 yen + tax)

Switch physical games, Japan, Fall (10 games)

September 25/28: FIFA 19

September 27: Warriors Orochi 3
September 27: WORK × WORK
September 27: NORN 9 LOFN (9,504 yen (tax included) for the limited edition, 7,344 yen (tax included) for the normal version)

October 04: Rockman 11: Gear of Destiny!!
October 05: Super Mario Party
October 25: Beyblade Burst: Battle Zero

November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu
November 16: Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee

December 07: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Last edited:

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like one thing can't be denied. Nintendo has a much stronger holiday lineup this year. Mario Party+Pokemon+Smash absolutely trounces Mario Odyssey+Xenoblade 2 in every way. That in addition to improved third party support, we should see a notable uptick in sales for those months compared to last year.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

I understand they are not "real gamez" but there are a lot of eshop releases during summer.

I must be weird, cause for me, summer is packed, I won't even have time to play all the games I plan to get.
Plus, you know, summer and stuff

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I do think they could have shown more in the E3 Direct, but they chose not to. I was disappointed at first, but looking at the release schedule, they really don't need to show more. They have already prepared another "one big game per month" pattern for holiday season. And as others have said, these titles are much stronger (sales-wise) than the line-up last year.

September: Xenoblade 2 Prequel
October: Super Mario Party
November: Pokemon
December: Smash

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yeah, this no games this summer talk is crazy. I'm moving at the end of July, so I am incredibly pained by the fact that there are like 8 games that I had intended on buying right when they come out, but I will be busy then leaving for Summer Holiday in August. This ignores games I haven't had time to finish on my Switch, and I haven't even bought the DLC for Zelda yet.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling Nintendo will announce some sort of port or remaster to release in August or September. Bayonetta 1/2 and Hyrule Warriors DE only took about 2 months from announcement to release, so I could see a similar thing happening for a hypothetical Metroid Prime Trilogy HD or NSMBU+.

Granted, Nintendo is releasing Xenoblade 2 Golden Country in September, so it's really only August that's missing for the rest of the year currently (and it was missing last year as well, in addition to November). And who knows, TWEWY might fill that spot. (edit: it's currently slated for fall, so maybe not)
are you expecting that at e3, or a random PR + Youtube announcement.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Prior to Fire Emblem Heroes, a lot of the fanbase were women.
Fire Emblem Heroes decided primarily tailor towards males though.
I actually find it unlikely that the demographics for Heroes drastically differs from the mainline games.

I mean sure, there's semi-frequent bridal banners but I don't think that has a terribly high effect on who is playing the game.